R1 RCM Employee Reviews for Patient Access Manager

Featured review
R1 RCM selected this as a representative review
Awesome place to work!
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2019
R1 is a great place to work for many different reasons. It is a team oriented environment with great people working together where you have the opportunity to learn and advance with the company. The company is also expanding rapidly, so it's a great time to be with R1!
Pros
Work life balance, solid benefits, advancement opportunities, great office space/location
Easily the worst job I have ever had
Patient Access (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 28, 2019
This was by far the worst job I have ever had. It's not an exaggeration. Management does not care about employees. Rosters are always short staffed. Management does not stay to help. Management does not enforce company standards. Nothing is done about bullying in the workplace.

I asked for a transfer to another department due to my disability status, and the rest of the staff on my shift bullying me every day. I was always denied, and I was treated like my disability didn't exist. The worst part is that I asked for a reasonable accommodation that is listed in the R1 RCM Handbook.

You may think that you're strapped for cash. But you aren't this strapped. R1 is chronically understaffed, management is remarkably apathetic, they don't care about their patients, and they don't care about the disabilities of their employees.

Oh yeah, they pay men more than women. I made $1.50 more when I was a new employee than women who worked there for 2-3 years.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Everything else
Not a job if you like to help people
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 5, 2019
I was able to telecommute from home with computer provided. They do not pay for your internet. You have to meet rate or you have meetings, which are not followed through as promised. Be careful if you spend too much time with a patient trying to help, but on the other hand if you are too short with a patient trying to help but not spend too much time and the customer gives you a bad review, you also get talked to. The training was horrible. We sat at home for a week expected to go through the training modules on our own and no communication whatsoever with any of the management/training personnel because our trainer went on vacation!
Pros
Telecommute
Cons
Not good if you don't make your patient rate per hour
Favoritism, lies, and messy
Patient Access Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 28, 2019
Broken promises. Management is the worse! This company will never be a great place to work until they remove ALL management. They suck and they lie all the time. You can’t trust management. My best advice is to not make friends here. Management and co workers will befriend you just to try to get you fired. Management never apologize for mistakes and broken promise. If you complain to hr about being mistreated they will fire you! Crooked company they will even pay you to keep quite about how things are run. They lie about pay, health insurance is extremely expensive, management is always having relations with co workers, computer system barely works, and high turnover rate. This job is for older people! Management is threatened by young adults. Never get to know anyone at this job and you will be fine.
Pros
Pays ok dental insurance is ok
Easy but repetitive
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Owasso, OKFebruary 24, 2019
This is a fairly easy job but, for the amount of work the pay should be more. They are continuously adding more layers for the registrars to do. We don’t have that much time but they expect the work to be done. If you call in and you don’t have any vacation days you will get written up. If you do have vacation days and you call in you will get written up (even if you have a doctors note) so don’t get sick! Benefits are good if you use their subsidy program other than that they will be expensive. No room for advancement. You will be stuck in the same position until you leave..
Pros
Health benefits, Pto, holidays and holiday pay, good working hours
Cons
Short breaks, no career advancement, no merit based raises
Management is the worst
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 2, 2019
They micro manage like crazy. For what they pay it is not worth the stress. They will write you up and reprimand you for making the tiniest mistake instead of using it as an opportunity to learn and grow. Their PTO and attendance policy is by far the worst I have ever seen. You don't get any sick days!!! If you get sick and call out it counts against you!. Yet we work in a hospital with germs everywhere.
If you request PTO they wont approve it unless YOU can get it covered so at the end of the year you have all this PTO stored up And R1 DOES NOT pay you out for unused PTO or let it roll over so you just lose it.
You have to buy your uniform and its very cheap and ugly. Most companies pay for at least one shirt. Very strict over the top policies around attendance that don't allow for a good work life balance. No upward feedback. Essentially your boss can bully you and there is nothing you can do about it. HR is extremely unresponsive in general.
Horrible company to work for.
Pros
co workers- has nothing to do with the company
Cons
PTO- not approved ever, NO sick days, Micro managed, Stressful
Used to like the job.
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 23, 2019
We are constantly being told conflicting information from management. Our employees who have been here over 2 years aren't even getting paid $12 an hour, while new employees are starting off at $13.50 and wont raise their loyal employees pay. The new employees don't even do their jobs, mainly want to sit around all day. Management who sides with the new employees, because they keep adding work and no one wants to stay, ends up making old employees upset. All old employees are looking for work elsewhere. Management expect all the old employees to pull the weight of the new ones. Moral is low and management hasn't done anything to show they care. Management has managed to make all the nurses and doctors mad. I do not see they getting their contract renewed.
Benefits
Cons
Managment, Pay, Moral, Workload
Not worth it
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 12, 2019
The turnover rate is horrendous. Management is micromanaging and tends to backstab and lie. They make a lot of promises with no follow through. They don’t understand that you have a life outside of work. They tend to run off good employees. The pay is not enough for the amount of work expected of you and expect new hire to make more than you do.
Pros
Accruing PTO
Cons
Toxic work environment
Floater
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Clanton, ALJanuary 7, 2019
I love the job and the distance to my home and even the people I work with but I have what is called a floaters schedule and im coming off night of 7 on 7 off and the float schedule is not working with my body
Pros
Commute & the peolple
Cons
prefer not to say
Love working for R1 RCM! Pay is too Low though.
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 27, 2018
I enjoy working with R1, there has been nothing but fair treatment and respect here. I feel like an Adult, and I'm treated like an Adult. The work can be stressful some days, but once you get the hang of it..it's a piece of cake. A lot of daily interaction, some paperwork involved, and mostly computer work. Not a whole lot of time for Social, accept during those slow paced days, which is probably like 2 times out of a week. The only thing that concerns me is the pay, it's very low for the amount of work we do. But, the benefits are pretty outstanding! Just wish it paid more. I'm still with R1 because it's such a flexible environment, I don't know any other job that would be willing to accommodate my school schedule. The work hours are perfect!
Pros
The Benefits
Cons
The Pay
Nice Manager, but not disciplined
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIDecember 20, 2018
During My career at R1RCM as patient registration, I have loved my manager, and leads they are all so kind. However, due to staffing shortages ( that were like this last year and the year before) the staff is has abused the kindness. Dress code is not followed, excessive tardies, excessive call ins, mandated staffing... and the list goes on. R1RCM has also decided that it was appropriate to place another job on the shoulders of registration. The er is already busy as it is, but because financial counselors are apparently overloaded by the amount of patients they need to assist on nights and weekends. R1 is always changing their policies. PTO balance does not carry over to the next year so you must use it all. HR is a message machine that never calls back. They do not follow through with promises. You can not understand them on the phone. Forget sending an email to benefits center, they do not reply for months. If your pay is messed up, they require you to wait till next payday for your money. Shift differentials are the bare minimum, and you must work 4 hours on that shift. They will mandate you to stay, there is no incentive, or appreciation of hard work. R1RCM lacks positivity. You'd think for a revenue cycle management company they would be more on top of things such as an employees pay. If you can avoid R1 I would at all costs.
Pros
Nice Manager, Eight paid holidays
Cons
Unpaid 30 min break, Forced to take PTO, Mandated overtime, no bonuses
Poor Leadership, Vague Information, Excessive Micromanagement
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 4, 2018
I am part of the large (2300+) group of employees outsourced by Intermountain Healthcare to R1 RCM. From the moment the annoucement was made, leadership at both R1 and IHC have purposefully withheld information regarding the expected changes, reneged on promises that were made, and flip flopped regarding PTO policies, leaving entire departments of people with no available PTO as we head into the flu season. Medical deductibles and out of pocket amounts DOUBLED during open enrollment with no forewarning from leadership. There is little to no room for advancement, employees outside of HQ in Chicago and India feel disconnected and forgotten, and the levels of micromanagement have increased to unsustainable levels. Despite press that states that 90% of employees accepted an offer with R1 at the time of transition, since that time (April 2018) I have witnessed over a 40% turnover in our department.

Employee morale is at an all-time low, management seems to only care about maintaining their own positions, and expectations for the future are low.

RUN, don't walk from R1. You can do better. Healthcare SHOULD do better.
Pros
Good PTO
Cons
Micro management, no room for advancement, poor leadership
Stressful place to work with poor management and morale
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 5, 2018
Management has no idea what they're doing. They tell you one thing to make you happy for the moment and when time to deliver it doesnt happen. They're beyond dysfunctional. They only care about money collections even though it doesnt go into their pockets it goes into the hospital who hired them. For the amount of things you do on a day to day basis they dont train you long enough. You have a lot of pressure on your shoulders and they make sure you know it. Unless you work better stressed they're not the company for you. I wouldn't recommend them unless it's a last resort for employment. It's great on the outside looking in but once your in you find your whole life morale will deteriorate.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, training, hours
most enjoyable part of the job
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 28, 2018
The best part about working in the medical industry, is meeting new people and hearing the stories. Also the high paced environment and the joy of helping others in need.
R1 rcm
Patient Access Associate (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 10, 2018
It is very quick paced and keeps you on your feet. The overall job is easy, but when you add in the ER life where I worked in the company they should offer higher pay because you are doing the same job as everyone else but in a higher more intense environment with a lot more added onto your everyday jobs.
Great learning opportunity but little to no room for growth/advancement
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 16, 2018
The job itself is simple and enjoyable. Management is terrible. They bend the rules for certain employees while others must abide by them. "It's not what you know but who you know." Hard work goes unnoticed while not following policies/procedures goes unpunished. On the job training is inadequate. Management never gives the same answer twice to the questions you have. None of them know what is really the correct answer to your questions. Good luck getting an issue or a time of request addressed. Benefits are better than most companies but are more expensive than most. The pay is better than most comperable employers.
Pros
Decent Benefits
Cons
Terrible Management
Poor Management on all levels
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 22, 2018
This company would be a better place to work. If the poor levels of Management would let everyone do what they were hired to do. Management rather bully and manage their employees from emails. When they have no clue of the day to day activities because they claim to have so many important meetings. Don't let someone with a title complain about issues in a department. Then, they will work with them to make their own employees look bad vs having their employees backs. After, the complaint they'll take time to come up with new processes and procedures to follow to put a bandaid on the clients issue. Where were these processes and procedures when people are hired. They should be in place from day 1 and not at management discretion. Management on all levels especially Upper Management are very disrespect to everyone including mid level management unless you're in the cliques. Otherwise you slave like a dog in every position and as long as you make Upper Management and mid management look good they have no problem with you. Worse company I have ever work for. Let this application be the last you fill out. Unless your unemployment benefits are about to stop!!!
Pros
Its a paycheck most times
Cons
Poor upper managment, lack of communication, and no loyalty
High turnover rate & poor management
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 18, 2018
R1 took over our company and I should have quit when I had the chance. The company demands tons of new systems to use, but the systems don’t work half of the time. Our department is always understaffed and managers don’t care. They rather for the employees to drown. Certain pay rates were promises but never received. Overall this company has been a bad company to work for and has been considering they had to change their name to make this look good. Benefits are expensive and HR can’t contact right away, and if they bother, it would be through email. If you resign, you’ll have to wait 3-10 business days to receive a paper check. You’d think since we have bills they’d be considerate.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Poor management, operation, HR support
Pretty good job for wichita
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 31, 2018
I work in a call center doing scheduling. I used to work for via christi, but R1 bought our company out. They raised our pay by 50 cents so it’s nice that our new company values us a little more. They are a new company so it seems like they are working out a lot of kinks but I think they have good intentions and as they grow, they will be more and more gracious with pay and benefits.
They over work you and under pay you
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2018
R1 has just taken over in our revenue cycle department. This has been the most stressful, uninformative, deceitful transition I have ever been apart of. My department is now failing because of the lack of structure and knowledge r1 has provided.
Pros
None the transition has been terrible
Cons
Low wages, total lack of diversity in upper management, no one listens to your concerns, benefits are super expensive and much much more
typical day.
Patient Access Representative (Scheduler) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 18, 2018
I really enjoy working for R1rcm. You will receive proper training in what ever you are hired for. The best thing about R1rcm is, you can travel to pretty much anywhere and still work for this great company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at R1 RCM. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight