R1 RCM Employee Reviews

Featured review
R1 RCM selected this as a representative review
Awesome place to work!
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2019
R1 is a great place to work for many different reasons. It is a team oriented environment with great people working together where you have the opportunity to learn and advance with the company. The company is also expanding rapidly, so it's a great time to be with R1!
Pros
Work life balance, solid benefits, advancement opportunities, great office space/location
Remote Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 16, 2019
Typical Work Day, Busy
What you Learned, Current guidelines
Management respectful
Work Place Culture Fare
The Hardest part of Job Not Applicable
Enjoyable part of Job work everyday
Like to be watched? work here
Cash Posting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 14, 2019
I have never worked for such a micromanaged company, they pay great but at a horrible cost. You must account for every second of every day, but at the same time are pressured into taking part in Romper Room activities. Run away fast. You are a babysitter and clean up for the offshore team and you better do it right. Of the 18 people in my training "class" only 3 made it past one year, the place is a joke.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else and management
Not worth it
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 12, 2019
The turnover rate is horrendous. Management is micromanaging and tends to backstab and lie. They make a lot of promises with no follow through. They don’t understand that you have a life outside of work. They tend to run off good employees. The pay is not enough for the amount of work expected of you and expect new hire to make more than you do.
Pros
Accruing PTO
Cons
Toxic work environment
Apply anywhere but here
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 10, 2019
Hospitals cutting costs at the risk of hurting long standing employees and patient care, should at least considering selecting a company that actually cares about people. There is no culture. Making money at all costs should be there number one value. No one at the VP level actually cares about the people that actually do the work and put in endless hours to try to keep the company alive. Automation and India should be the only two words in their dictionary. It truly frightens me how they message things when they are genuinely and discretely screwing employees over. Worst of all, no one in HR responds or knows how to answer questions related to benefits. HR questions go unanswered, local HR is clueless about policy and procedures and the lack of communication about changes is atrocious. Everything is smoke and mirrors. There are leaders at this company that only look out for themselves and have very questionable behaviors. Those leaders take all the credit as they push their employees further and further to the breaking point. You will never feel job security. Not one leader is genuine. No one leaves that company satisfied they made the choice to join. Signing an offer letter is the first step in kissing your dignity goodbye.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Floater
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Clanton, ALJanuary 7, 2019
I love the job and the distance to my home and even the people I work with but I have what is called a floaters schedule and im coming off night of 7 on 7 off and the float schedule is not working with my body
Pros
Commute & the peolple
Cons
prefer not to say
Growing company
Outpatient Registration Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 6, 2019
I believe R 1is a growing company with some advancement opportunities. The turnover rate, in my opinion, is high. The hardest part of the job were the changes that R1 required, but were easy to learn.
Pros
Fun, employee atmosphere
Cons
Short Breaks, 30 mins
Love working for R1 RCM! Pay is too Low though.
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 27, 2018
I enjoy working with R1, there has been nothing but fair treatment and respect here. I feel like an Adult, and I'm treated like an Adult. The work can be stressful some days, but once you get the hang of it..it's a piece of cake. A lot of daily interaction, some paperwork involved, and mostly computer work. Not a whole lot of time for Social, accept during those slow paced days, which is probably like 2 times out of a week. The only thing that concerns me is the pay, it's very low for the amount of work we do. But, the benefits are pretty outstanding! Just wish it paid more. I'm still with R1 because it's such a flexible environment, I don't know any other job that would be willing to accommodate my school schedule. The work hours are perfect!
Pros
The Benefits
Cons
The Pay
Nice Manager, but not disciplined
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIDecember 20, 2018
During My career at R1RCM as patient registration, I have loved my manager, and leads they are all so kind. However, due to staffing shortages ( that were like this last year and the year before) the staff is has abused the kindness. Dress code is not followed, excessive tardies, excessive call ins, mandated staffing... and the list goes on. R1RCM has also decided that it was appropriate to place another job on the shoulders of registration. The er is already busy as it is, but because financial counselors are apparently overloaded by the amount of patients they need to assist on nights and weekends. R1 is always changing their policies. PTO balance does not carry over to the next year so you must use it all. HR is a message machine that never calls back. They do not follow through with promises. You can not understand them on the phone. Forget sending an email to benefits center, they do not reply for months. If your pay is messed up, they require you to wait till next payday for your money. Shift differentials are the bare minimum, and you must work 4 hours on that shift. They will mandate you to stay, there is no incentive, or appreciation of hard work. R1RCM lacks positivity. You'd think for a revenue cycle management company they would be more on top of things such as an employees pay. If you can avoid R1 I would at all costs.
Pros
Nice Manager, Eight paid holidays
Cons
Unpaid 30 min break, Forced to take PTO, Mandated overtime, no bonuses
Don't Waste Your Time
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 8, 2018
The company has a very high turnover rate because of the lack of morale, poor management, and constant changes to day-to-day work as accounts are being sent to India. This would be okay if they knew what they were doing, but they don't despite months of training. Management is never available because they are always training the workers in India via videoconferencing. Despite multiple training sessions, training manuals/standard operating procedures, the Indian team continues to make the same mistakes and management doesn't do anything about it. All they do is make us fix their mistakes. Management is unorganized and will give you an assignment and make it "high priority" because they forgot to send it out when their boss gave it to them. Sometimes there is "mandatory overtime" which disrupts your life. Management has a "we've always done it this way" attitude, so while there is room for improvement in several processes, they aren't taken into consideration. And on the rare occasion that something is implemented, leadership will take credit for an idea that was presented by the staff. The pay is decent, when you are paid on time, but certainly not worth your peace of mind. Hard to get HR to respond and resolve issues. Most people are nice, but there is a handful of negative people who absolutely drain you. I am actively seeking employment elsewhere.
Pros
Pay, volunteering
Cons
Management, poor morale, unorganized, work being sent to India, Hr
A good place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 4, 2018
It was a good place to work. Unfortunately I was getting burned out on the high volume of calls and should have been proactive to find another position there instead of leaving.
Pros
Fun events, collaborative teams
Cons
Paying for parking downtown
Poor Leadership, Vague Information, Excessive Micromanagement
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 4, 2018
I am part of the large (2300+) group of employees outsourced by Intermountain Healthcare to R1 RCM. From the moment the annoucement was made, leadership at both R1 and IHC have purposefully withheld information regarding the expected changes, reneged on promises that were made, and flip flopped regarding PTO policies, leaving entire departments of people with no available PTO as we head into the flu season. Medical deductibles and out of pocket amounts DOUBLED during open enrollment with no forewarning from leadership. There is little to no room for advancement, employees outside of HQ in Chicago and India feel disconnected and forgotten, and the levels of micromanagement have increased to unsustainable levels. Despite press that states that 90% of employees accepted an offer with R1 at the time of transition, since that time (April 2018) I have witnessed over a 40% turnover in our department.

Employee morale is at an all-time low, management seems to only care about maintaining their own positions, and expectations for the future are low.

RUN, don't walk from R1. You can do better. Healthcare SHOULD do better.
Pros
Good PTO
Cons
Micro management, no room for advancement, poor leadership
Job is very sneaky and hires anyone
Senior Representative (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 27, 2018
Job micromanages, shift leads are not respected and leadership does not reinforces respect. Move seats around like crazy, no acknowledgement nor appreciation giving for hard work that is performed.
Pros
Nice pay
Cons
micromanagement, unfairness and favoritism
Worst organization
Financial counseling (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 17, 2018
Preach culture and teamwork BUT change expectation constantly! Force you to waste your time fixing things that their system can’t do properly ! Do not want any suggestions. Terrible patient interaction
Pros
Day time hours
Cons
Company structure
Work is being shipped to India
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 17, 2018
Be very cautious with excepting a position with this company they are shipping a big bulk of the work to India, they are putting employees on performance reviews while you see all these Indian names training for months which is not the norm to be training for so long which I feel they want to get rid of the employees currently and give the jobs to India, obviously cheaper labor! the benefits are crazy expensive and you get very little vacation pay and it’s combined with sick pay that you can’t roll over you lose it if you don’t use it by year end but mind you it’s hard to even take vacation. This has to be the worst mistake Ascension has made by outsourcing all of the revenue cycle to this company needless to say many workers are leaving and some are just getting fired for stupid reasons but keep training those Indian workers for months it’s clear they don’t know what they are doing! but I can only imagine how much they are making probably pennies on the dollar! Stay away from this company, decide to work here and you will regret it!
Pros
Work from home
Cons
The whole company is trash
Nice work environment
ADMINSTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MNovember 13, 2018
I enjoyed my time there, sad to have had to go. Company always showed that they appreciated our work by purchasing lunch from time to time and planning other bonding activities
You will be miserable
Insurance Verification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MI 49007November 11, 2018
Management has no idea what they are doing. Constantly pointing the finger or passing the buck to someone else. They play favorites. They say they care about their employees, but when carp hits fan they only care about you being at work. Regardless if you or a child is sick, if your car breaks down, if there is a death to a relative or close family friend. It's stressful and an unjust work environment.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else.
Stressful place to work with poor management and morale
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 5, 2018
Management has no idea what they're doing. They tell you one thing to make you happy for the moment and when time to deliver it doesnt happen. They're beyond dysfunctional. They only care about money collections even though it doesnt go into their pockets it goes into the hospital who hired them. For the amount of things you do on a day to day basis they dont train you long enough. You have a lot of pressure on your shoulders and they make sure you know it. Unless you work better stressed they're not the company for you. I wouldn't recommend them unless it's a last resort for employment. It's great on the outside looking in but once your in you find your whole life morale will deteriorate.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, training, hours
Beware
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  UtahNovember 4, 2018
This company has no rhyme or reason in doing things. They put pressure to plug one hole while another hole gets bigger. They don’t put in the effort to fix the issue at hand. They send a lot of work to India and the work being done there is terrible and it comes back to us to clean up and work. The work shouldn’t have even been sent over to them. Try to get a response from senior management is nearly impossible and is very frustrating. Local management is decent.
Pros
PTO is fair
Cons
Attendance policy is tough
Loved the patients but very poor supervisor and management
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  North Vernon, INNovember 1, 2018
R1 does not care about there employees .. it’s all about the money .. they expect and expect from there employees but nothing in return for them the employees for busting there butt. Very poor management. Bad company to work for
Cons
Billing- Business Analyst-Operations (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIOctober 30, 2018
Great place to work and advance if you put in the hours. Long hours , Long days. Competitive Salary and Benefits. Company paid holidays with time off.
Pros
Compensations
Cons
Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at R1 RCM. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight