R1 RCM Employee Reviews

You will be miserable
Insurance Verification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MI 49007November 11, 2018
Management has no idea what they are doing. Constantly pointing the finger or passing the buck to someone else. They play favorites. They say they care about their employees, but when carp hits fan they only care about you being at work. Regardless if you or a child is sick, if your car breaks down, if there is a death to a relative or close family friend. It's stressful and an unjust work environment.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else.
National Organization that doesn't care about employees
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WINovember 7, 2018
R1 RCM took over Ascension; they began by telling one department they were hiring them on - gave out benefit enrollment, wage information, transition dates, etc. Just to tell 120+ employees last minute that they would be out of a job as they were sending it all over seas to India (mind you these are you medical claims that are being reviewed IN ANOTHER COUNTRY!). They actually decided to keep another department after stringing them along for 8 months, not knowing if they would have a job or not. They're policies are complete BS and it makes taking any sick days or PTO (which are the same thing since you DON'T get sick days) nearly impossible and you cannot carry over any PTO. The direct supervisors/managers are amazing but anyone over them is only in it for themselves. They care about quantity work and not quality work - employees are pushed to get so much work done in a day that they end up doing it incorrectly just to meet the required #'s in a day.
Pros
Cons
Expensive benefits, low pay, and terrible PTO policies
Stressful place to work with poor management and morale
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 5, 2018
Management has no idea what they're doing. They tell you one thing to make you happy for the moment and when time to deliver it doesnt happen. They're beyond dysfunctional. They only care about money collections even though it doesnt go into their pockets it goes into the hospital who hired them. For the amount of things you do on a day to day basis they dont train you long enough. You have a lot of pressure on your shoulders and they make sure you know it. Unless you work better stressed they're not the company for you. I wouldn't recommend them unless it's a last resort for employment. It's great on the outside looking in but once your in you find your whole life morale will deteriorate.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, training, hours
Beware
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  UtahNovember 4, 2018
This company has no rhyme or reason in doing things. They put pressure to plug one hole while another hole gets bigger. They don’t put in the effort to fix the issue at hand. They send a lot of work to India and the work being done there is terrible and it comes back to us to clean up and work. The work shouldn’t have even been sent over to them. Try to get a response from senior management is nearly impossible and is very frustrating. Local management is decent.
Pros
PTO is fair
Cons
Attendance policy is tough
Loved the patients but very poor supervisor and management
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  North Vernon, INNovember 1, 2018
R1 does not care about there employees .. it’s all about the money .. they expect and expect from there employees but nothing in return for them the employees for busting there butt. Very poor management. Bad company to work for
Cons
Billing- Business Analyst-Operations (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIOctober 30, 2018
Great place to work and advance if you put in the hours. Long hours , Long days. Competitive Salary and Benefits. Company paid holidays with time off.
Pros
Compensations
Cons
Hours
Good Pay, Bad Management
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 22, 2018
Managers are extremely unprofessional and disorganized. They do not communicate about job responsibilities and seemingly make up rules whenever they feel like it. They are dismissive and do not take complaints from workers seriously. There is also a lot of favoritism, and people who have zero management skills are promoted to higher positions. It is an endless cycle of poor management.
The work is boring and very repetitious
Medical Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 22, 2018
Continuous work not allowed to talk to much. I have learned that it would be better to get a job any where else. My manager is not a people person. The work place culture is QUIET, so quiet that a person from IT came to fix the computer and his comment was "you all don't talk?" We wait until management has left for the day and then we feel free to talk. My 2 friends that work on the afternoon shift.When they come in i'm sure to have a few laughs. that is the most enjoyable part of my day because my shift is over and i feel free to talk a bit.
Pros
There is a large cafeteria where you can get a change of atmosphere
Cons
The work is very monotonous, boring
Shady Company
HIM (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 22, 2018
There are a lot of unfilled promises and they keep lowering the standard of working conditions. They are trying to move the jobs to India. Leadership doesn't know what they are doing.
Its ok
Financial Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2018
Not a bad place. overall pretty decent with a friendly team. There is not much to say. I was an intern at this company so i cannot fully critique it. Perhaps the culture has changed since I have been there.

Want to know more about R1 RCM?

Ask a question
Poor leadership.
Pre Registration (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 5, 2018
Supervisors need to have some background in what they’re supervising or some background in leadership period! If team members felt like they could actually talk to their supervisors or ask for help when need be, the turnover rate wouldn’t be so high. The supervisors hold such high expect jobs for their employees yet we go WEEKS without hearing back from team supervisors. PTO is always messed up, loosing a lot or not receiving the hours we worked for. Not appreciation towards us, what so ever. It’s hard to work for a supervisor who won’t smile at us, talk back, act interested in us or acknowledge us. We’re on the phones all day yet get marked down as if we are in school if we are late to our lunch or breaks.
Pros
Pay
Credits department is Unorganized and Unrealistic.
Credits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 2, 2018
R1 puts little effort into the Credits department.
I had zero training for my position and was held accountable for it.
Leadership does not worry about their employees.
Pros
Hour lunch.
Cons
Micromanaged. No training for position. Senior Leadership does not care about employee happiness.
Please Listen
Precertification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 30, 2018
I loved my job at Ascension working precert, but then R1 came in. It went from being about the patients to being about the money. The higher ups would never acknowledge when we (many people in the office building) asked a question and when they did, they would talk down to us and belittle us. They allow 4 sick days a year, with anymore being write ups, and do not accept doctors notes. Vacation time and sick time come from the same bucket. So if you call in, you're using your vacation time. When Ascension brought over R1, most of the people in the department were making 14/hour and then they raised the trainees, no experience, to 16+. What did they do to even out the paying field? They gave us a 7, let me repeat, 7 cent raise and told us that we have to wait a year and a half for the chance to see if we would get a raise. If you're in it for the patients, do not work for them. If you want money and to be constantly talked down and and in constant fear of them sending your job overseas, they're the perfect place for you.
Pros
Maybe medical
Run fast away
Cash Posting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 24, 2018
It’s not cash posting, you are a babysitter to the workers in India. They do the work and always mess it up but onshore gets the blame. Let’s just say I’m taking a $3.00 pay cut to leave.
Pros
Flex time, holidays, better medical than previous years
Cons
Everything else
A reasonably nice place to work
Supervisor CBO/BSO Billing Teams (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 24, 2018
I don't agree with all of their policies, but I do agree with most. The people are friendly, and the company invests in its employees with onsite training, offsite training, and developmental needs.
Pros
company provided and paid training and educational development
Cons
Long hours, not always as transparent as stated, expect salaried people to "make up their time"
Working from home, with EXCELLENT PAY
Patient Access Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 24, 2018
I just started with the company. I work from home, all equipment sent to me. Pay is outstanding compared to all jobs in my area. Can't say much about the rest, since I have just started, but, if it is as good as the benefits and pay, plus, working from home, then I think it will be a great place to work.
Pros
Work from home and pay
Cons
None so far
Great Company Great Experience
Reimbursement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZ 85745September 20, 2018
Great place to work for great pay. Manager were very knowledgeable. Great benefits and wonderful co workers a pleasure to go in and give it your all. Great 5 years
It's a good company to work for.
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 20, 2018
It's a pretty good company to work for. I went back to school for Medical Billing and Coding so I'm liking for something in that field. Other than that i would stay with this company.
Be cautious
Patient Registrar (Former Employee) –  Birmingham ALSeptember 18, 2018
Management is a complete disaster. Very unprofessional. Wasn't aware that the trainer had the authority to decide who could keep their position or not.
Pros
Great pay and hours
Cons
Unorganized
Not very appreciative
Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 11, 2018
I worked here for 7 months and was trained for 3 different jobs. They never let me get used to one job before throwing me somewhere else. They never gave me time to catch on. I went from $15 an hour to $13 an hour. All because they have other employees that did not want to work on something different. They wanted the easiest job. So they say you are doing bad and complain until you are moved. This place made my anxiety and stress very high. Always on your back instead of leaving you alone to get better at your job.
Pros
a lot of food
Cons
pot lucks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at R1 RCM. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight