Rack Room Shoes Employee Reviews

its okay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYFebruary 20, 2019
the work was easy, the customers werent nice, some employees were nice, some of the managers are very easy to work, the work wasnt hard to do, cleaning was easy
Pros
the hours were okay
Cons
the workers arent great
Beneficial for sales experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 18, 2019
Working at Rack Room Shoes was beneficial when it comes to customer service and sales experience. On the other hand Rack Room Shoes was not very organized and they only gave me two days out of the week to work.
Pros
40% off shoes
Cons
Not enough pay
Nope
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 13, 2019
Typical retail duties, but they continue to cut payroll...meaning you work harder and take on more tasks for no increase in pay. Customers become disgruntled when they can't find anyone to help them and they vent on the employees who can do literally nothing about it. Meanwhile, corporate continues to blow money on excessive "project managers" who don't do diddly squat, and are adding assistants to the assistants to the managers, as well as spending MILLIONS of dollars in marketing on useless junk (like the ever-changing signage with the same BOGO message). They dangle PTO in your face as a perk, but if you live in a tourist area, you're busy year-round and you'll never get to use it.
Pros
healthcare, lots of vacation time
Cons
terrible pay, low payroll, rude customers, unresponsive management
Not a good job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCFebruary 11, 2019
The managers at Rack Room are rude and just put you in odd situations. They expect you to know what to do immediately. There is no security, always stealing, and the people that come in are rude. The hours are scarce for the employees, the managers schedule themselves every hour while the employees get about 7-10 hours a week. Definitely not worth your time and application.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Rude, no pay, no training
Great Job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CAFebruary 7, 2019
I loved working here. Everyone was so kind and its was an easy relaxed environment. However when we had to work there was work I would definitely go back if I had the chance.
to much family
First Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 7, 2019
I was promised over time to make up for the pay. Worked with to many family members of the Manager which was hard to get some of the task done on a daily basis.
Pros
discount
Cons
low on hours.
Not the best job ever
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 6, 2019
The management was mediocre. One of the employees stole money, and they never checked the cameras. They don't offer benefits, or any leave and refuse to give you hours.
my first job
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NC 27612February 4, 2019
Rack Room Shoes was my first job and it was pretty good for the most part, I enjoyed my coworkers and learned many things from my managers during my time there.
Terrible workplace.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKFebruary 3, 2019
Poor management
Inconsistent and fraudulent information given to customers.
Too many friends and roommates working together.
Too much time hanging in the back office area.
Too many bosses/managers under one roof
Too many issues to list.....
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Pay, poor management
If you work hard and have good management you'll enjoy it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton Square, NJFebruary 1, 2019
Working as a associate was an easy position, its like any other retail job it just depends on who you are working with and how management is. The best thing about the company is its organization. In all of my years in working in sales and retail, Rack room has the easiest register system and training I have ever experienced. Their inventory management is also very stream lined and simplistic compared to other places I have worked at.
Pros
Co-Workers and Family like atmosphere.
Cons
Base pay is minimum wage and doesn't really improve, rarely any promotion from within.
Worst manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAJanuary 28, 2019
I worked there for longer than a year, i was an assistant manager and hated everything about working at rack room shoes. It was not because of what you physically must do, it was because of the manager who is not happy with themselves so they must make their employees stressed every work day. She will step over boundaries and does not care. Retail can be fun and fast paced, rack room shoes is an awesome company themselves... JUST DON'T WORK IN TURLOCK WITH THAT MANAGER THERE. FIND ANOTHER LOCATION.
Pros
Discount
Cons
management
Good place to work to learn retail,
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJanuary 26, 2019
Rack room is a good place to learn the ins and outs of how retail works. It's easy to move up to manager with a little effort and patience. The one thing I didn't like was there was no raise for over a year.
Fun, easy
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 23, 2019
Everyone was friendly, it can be stressful at times but was easy none the less. Very flexible with school hours, not many students working while I was there so there was a lot of room for availability.
Pros
Lunches, discounts
Cons
Short hours
Looks great on the outside, but rotten inside
Management (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 21, 2019
They paint a pretty picture of family and great work atmosphere. Management is structured well, but will cut you if look at them the wrong way. Very demanding with little hours and pay for employees. Upper Management ONLY cares about profit and money. Customer Service is a joke once you get in, they will cave to any customer who cried wolf. Corporate office is nothing but a fascism run business. Shake your hand, then stab in the back. Plus are the Benefits and treatment there of. If you want time off it's all good.
Pros
Benefits for FT, Good Hours
Cons
Pay, Pay, Pay, Short or no breaks, Management always watching, Turnover, High Thieft inside and outside
Nothing that stands out
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 18, 2019
As a whole the company is really good to their employees, as for the store and store management it needs a little work. The work load isnt too bad as lo g as you're fast paced and d9nt mind a little repetitive work.
Pros
40 percent off entire purchases
Cons
Pretty short breaks
Fun job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hardin County, KYJanuary 12, 2019
I gained a love of shoes from this job. It was only my second, but it was a lot of fun learning about the different types of shoes available. I also learned a bit about management, scheduling, and shipment receiving.
Productive and friendly
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAJanuary 12, 2019
The job was very simple. I mainly worked customer service which was just helping customers find what they were looking for. I loved my coworkers and manager. They were all great people and very friendly and welcoming.
Pros
Discounts. Friendly environment
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and lots to learn
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 10, 2019
I enjoyed working at Rack Room shoes. I loved all my coworkers and the work wasn’t bad. They worked with the hours I needed as well. You deal with normal stuff in retail though. The normal complaints here and there. Another thing was freight. It was always inconsistent. One day would be an insane amount, the next probably none.
Pros
Hour lunch break, work with your hours
Cons
Pay
Store manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 9, 2019
Rack Room was a great place to work for. Pay was decent and discounts were good also. Cost of living didn't match pay. Meeting people and building sales team was fun,
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Schedule
Black Friday is the worst day
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, TXJanuary 5, 2019
Working in retail is probably the worst job ever. You loose time away from your family. Being a manager you have to normally work the shift if someone calls in sick...
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Less family time