Racker Employee Reviews

Racker Workplace
Daycare Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 5, 2019
A typical day is working with students all in an integrated classroom. You have to learn how to work all sorts of different behaviors and learn how to handle them. The hardest part is making sure every staff member is on the same page with how to handle a behavior.
The best place to work
Community Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYFebruary 4, 2019
You can work independently with a variety of people of all sorts of disabilities. Pick and chose what days, hours and who would be a good match. You learn something everyday
Direct Support professional
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Groton, NYJanuary 27, 2019
I enjoyed taking care of the residents but it was a lot of hard work. We had to prepare their food, bathe them and take them to several appointments. Not all of them were verbal,so it was hard to communicate with some of them. You needed to understand their different body languages. If they were vocal but only said a few words you needed to understand what it meant that they wanted. There was only four staff working on the floor and sometimes 2 in the office. A few of them needed to be hoyer lifted in and out of bed into their wheelchair, which was a 2 person job.
Pros
going places
Cons
short breaks
Honest intentions
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYNovember 13, 2018
Racker Centers try to do their best for their residents. There are tons of activities Racker attends and hosts for these guys, its quite amazing to be part of a team who has those goals in mind. The workplace pressure can be tough at times.
Rewarding
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYSeptember 16, 2018
Pros: It is a job. The residents will actually leave good lasting impressions on you.

Cons: Basically everything else; Management is toxic as are the peers. There are a few good people to work with, but it is very hard to find them and find the right ones; not the fakers. I left with multiple unplesent stories about how I was treated as an employee; how management ignored my advice about the very same people I cared for thus making those people's lives worse than they could be, how my team ignored; how members of my team was allowed to ignore the people we served because that teammember did not want to deal with the resident.
Unfortunate place
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYSeptember 2, 2018
Went in as a hopeful DSP, left disgruntled. What a shame. This company works so hard to preserve their name and create community awareness while letting their houses fail miserably. Management here leads to false hope for change! Nothing truly gets done, you cannot trust other staff with each other or residents for that matter, and rarely are behaviors corrected. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone after what I worked through. What a pity.
They pay nothing and expect everything
Community Support Professional (Current Employee) –  NYAugust 6, 2018
Racker pays nowhere close to a living wage, after uncovered mileage and time spent off the clock doing paperwork they don't even pay minimum wage. Management is crass and does not care about employees in the least. There is no room for advancement and growth is not encouraged. You're better off working at McDonalds or some other fast food chain in all honesty. You would make more and be treated better.
Pros
the work is making a difference
Cons
you are treated horribly and paid nothing
It is not for family with children
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJuly 7, 2018
Great place to work. Consumers were always so much fun to help. Hours at the time did not match what I was looking for to have weekends off with my young child so I had to leave.
Friendly, quiet
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJune 27, 2018
Very welcoming and helpful individuals. Working to update the organization in terms of technology so taking steps in the right direction. Overall good atmosphere.
Terrible Management
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJune 21, 2018
Management was bad, Co-Workers were worse. Pay was not worth it since McDonald's pays more per hour. No Hazard pay and everyone was out to get everyone. It was high school all over again. And when you did have an issue and went to anyone with their "open door" policy, in a matter of days, everyone knew everything.
Pros
Cons
Management, Co-workers, Pay, Getting Beat Up
Poor leadership
Team Director (Former Employee) –  Dryden, NYMay 15, 2018
I would not go back to them for all the money in the world! If you want to be valued, or even treated like a human being, please do not apply with this employer.
Pros
the people you help
Cons
Everything else!
Nice place to work.
Relief Resident Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYApril 10, 2018
I worked at this job on a per diem basis while attending college. It was perfect and they worked around my college schedule and allowed me to work as often as needed. I was able to work extra hours over breaks and mileage was offered if I was asked to work at locations other than my primary location.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Pay was low.
Residential love, agency disaster
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Owego, NYMarch 30, 2018
The residents are amazing and there's so many differences, but all of them deserve all the love they can get. However, that being said, the agency is awful. They care about their bottom line, and making themselves look good. The agency has zero cares that their DSPs are struggling from exhaustion, the team directors don't make enough money to not need assistance, and there's no appreciation for the work that staff do. It's frustrating to say the least.
Pros
Health, dental, vision insurance, retirement, life insurance
Cons
no breaks, zero staff recognition, constant overtime & mandation
Wonderful Mission - Horrible Management
GROUP HOUSE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Tioga County, NYMarch 7, 2018
As a new House Manager, unless you are a "favorite," you will be ignored and not trained. You are left to figure everything out on your own. There are other managers that may be willing to assist, however do not expect upper management to visit/train you.
Pros
The folks we work for
Cons
Management, Travel
This was a fun and rewarding job.
Systems Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYFebruary 24, 2018
This was a great fast pace place to be employed with many opportunities and feeling rewarded at the end of the shift. I learned patience can help you be much more successful in many situations while performing a variety of duties. Hardest part of this job was goals of choice weren't beneficial for individuals . Seeing individuals have the best quality in life was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
good pay and benefits
horrible
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NY 14850February 19, 2018
i would never recommend working for this company. Maybe it was the house manager i had but it was horrible. they made false accusations and it got me fired.
Terrible management
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  New York StateFebruary 8, 2018
They hire incompetent people to run the ship around Racker. All you need in a Bachelor's degree with little to no experience dealing with individuals with disabilities to be of managerial status. The individuals placed in these homes require greater care than what they receive. Staff and managers know little about the disabilities the residents have. This place is a complete joke and should probably be shut down.
Pros
You accumulate PTO fairly quickly which you WILL NEED here.
Cons
Bad management, bad management, little to no training on the disabilities that you will be working with
Great teamwork
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Trumansburg, NYDecember 15, 2017
I miss it so much and am so ready to be back. You can't really ask for a better health care related job. The people you work with are great and the people you support are even better.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
We always need more staff but that is the struggle with the health Field
great place to work
Regional Residential Director (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYNovember 22, 2017
Each day is different.
Work culture is great. Very team oriented.
Hardest part of the job is staffing.
Most enjoyable part of the job is working on the team.
Very Rewarding Position!
Senior Team Director (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NY 14850November 1, 2017
FRC is a great organization! More money should be allotted to the staff that support the clients that Racker Center provides services for. It is a struggle to keep staff because they deserve to be paid more. The leadership of Racker work very hard to provide a fair wage but due to cost of general overhead it is challenge. They actively lobby for wage increases.
Pros
Flexible organization
Cons
Huge commitment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Racker. Our community is ready to answer.