Rackspace Employee Reviews

Good Company
Infrastructure & Implementation Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 30, 2019
Rackspace is a good company but it is going thru an adjustment period and not sure if they are really prepared for it. The culture is not bad and they try to do what is best for the customer
Great Place to Work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 28, 2019
Rackspace gave me the opportunity to learn and grow while taking care of my customers both internal and external. They fostered an environment for career development and building great workplace friendships.
Productive and fun workplace
Data Center Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 28, 2019
My experience was very good at Rackspace. There are good opportunities to advance your career and also provide additional training to continue learning new skills.
Excellent Company!
Customer Service Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 9, 2019
Rackspace is an amazing company! I worked in support 24/7 and everyone takes care of everyone, managers allow employees to switch a shift, help each other and they are open to anything. Definitely the best company I worked for.
Pros
Everything!
Stressful but great befits
Customer Service Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 7, 2019
There is plenty of room for growth and advancement. Training is provided. Health, dental and vision is provided and they have great coverage. You do get the upset customer calls, especially near the holidays. Most of the employees and managers are extremely approachable and friendly. I left because I'm not one for call center jobs. However, if you can handle it or like call centers, it's a great job or even career.
Pros
great environment, health care, vision, dental
Very laid back company to work
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 1, 2019
There is not much work pressure and culture in rackspace is quite cool. Though the projects are poorly managed, nobody knows about project until it hits testing phase.
Productive ans Stressfull work/life balance environment
Middleware Administrator (Former Employee) –  DelhiDecember 22, 2018
Productive ans Stressfull work/life balance environment ,work from home culture , Overtook tricore. World no one cloud Organization.
Yearly hike less as compare to tricore
Great degree of freedom with high expectations on delivery.
Operational Excellence Architect (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 21, 2018
Productive and relax environment with great degree of freedom and independent thinking. The risk is that this great working environment demands a great deal of responsibility, assertiveness, and individual & teamwork delivery.
Pros
Freedom, creativity, teamwork, fun to work for, etc.
Cons
Salary, politics, and limited growth.
Great people, awesome culture
Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 12, 2018
Customer facing roles can be very rewarding. I have learned about current cloud technology and project management frameworks through company training and by implementing new solutions with customers. The hardest part of the role is being on call 24X7. However, the benefits generally outweigh any hardships.
Pros
Culture, people
Cons
on call, long hours
December 17, 2018

Thanks for your feedback, Racker!! Appreciate all you are doing for our customers.

Work Hard, Play Hard
Windows Operations Engineer II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 6, 2018
Rackspace has plenty of opportunities for growth and it is a stimulating environment to work in. It is also a meat grinder if you are on a support team.
Pros
Free food, fun atmosphere
Cons
High ticket and call volume
December 17, 2018

So glad you find your work environment enjoyable! We do our very best to provide an environment where all Rackers can learn & grow and have the tools they need to be successful.

Licensing Data Architect (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78218November 19, 2018
Data and Business Analysis for the establishment of a data warehouse, and for the reporting, data modeling, and analysis of institutional data through out Rackspace as it relates to Software License Management, Procurement, and Inventory Forecasting.
Company going through transformation
Manager, Global Talent Development (Former Employee) –  San AntonioOctober 31, 2018
Lots of uncertainty. Company is trying to find their identity and is struggling. Satisfaction level will depend on manager as their are no set ways of leadership.
December 17, 2018

Hi Racker - thanks for your feedback. We are going through exciting times and continue to transform our business to meet the needs of our customers. With change comes challenge, but challenge we are excited for and prepared to meet. We wish you the very best !

Internship
Intern II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 9, 2018
. Work on projects, participate in meetings and learn the Agile Methodology
• Upload manual entries to a revenue accounting database through Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio each close month and update SQL scripts for accounting reports to align with new procedures and/or structures
• Offer assistance to Revenue Accounting and Financial Systems teams by building scripts to pull data and perform data analysis from the Billing Revenue Management database
• Troubleshoot data report errors by analyzing the code used for creation and pinpoint the source of the error
December 17, 2018

It appears that you are working on some great stuff. Thank you for what you do!

Great place to get experience
Network Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 13, 2018
Rackspace isn't afraid to take a chance on an internal hire for a role that you no experience in. If you're looking for your foot in the door, get into the company in almost any role, and transition from there. Reasons you might leave after you get your experience is probably going to be money. Rackspace salary is not competitive in most roles. You might also leave because of lack of leadership in management.
Pros
Vacation time, Job experience
Cons
Poor salary, lack of leadership and innovation
September 24, 2018

Thank you for your feedback, Racker! Rackspace is dedicated to paying all Rackers at a competitive market rate. If you have questions or concerns about your salary, we encourage you to speak with your leader or a member of our HR team. Rackers continued feedback is essential to how we as a company continue to improve. In addition, we're thrilled that you have been able to learn and grow here!

Good place to work.
Process Engineer II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 7, 2018
Very friendly place, great people and environment. I like the fact of working remotely, having flexible hours. For a single parent this is a lot of help keeping both world (work and family) in balance.
September 24, 2018

We understand that there is life outside of work and work-life balance is critical to the success of our Rackers. Great people and strong leaders enable the solid work-life balance at Rackspace. We are pleased that you have had a positive experience and thank you for being a promoter of Rackspace!

Not what it used to be
Regional Sales Director (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 4, 2018
Rackspace has struggled to maintain their Company culture since being acquired. Fanatical Support is not what it use to be. Do more with less has been their mantra for several years and it has negatively effected delivery of there service.
September 24, 2018

Over the past two years, Rackspace has been acquired and also acquired many companies. With acquisitions, a growing market and a more tenured company, comes change, challenge and opportunity. Rackspace has and will continue to work tirelessly on creating more automation and efficient ways of working so that our Rackers can provide even more impactful and innovative work to our customers.

struggled with strategy and focus, did not hold leaders accountable
HR (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 29, 2018
Promoted from within to a fault, where people were in over their heads. Good work/life balance with solid mentoring programs. A culture that focuses on team building, social activities, and recognition. An attempt to focus on diversity, although not organized and thoughtful at the company level.
Pros
Pockets of good talent and leadership
Cons
Leadership turnover impacted employee's ability to be successful
September 24, 2018

We work hard to create a culture of investment in our Rackers that includes the numerous programs you acknowledged! We look to promote first when new roles open, which can create challenges as new Rackers stretch & grow within their new roles. Thanks for your time at Rackspace!

Good workplace overall
Security (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 26, 2018
Rack gives back is awesome! You get 3 days paid to give service in the community!

Great training resources available.

Only thing I didn't like is that management seems to think its ok to openly discuss issues about employees either in public places or sometimes semi-secluded area not directly where you sit but loud enough still to be heard quite clearly. These conversations should always be in a closed off room away from employees.
Pros
Rack gives back, training resources
Cons
Management needs to get a room when discussing employees
Great Start
Network Security Firewall Architect (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 25, 2018
They are a great place to start your career and if you are career focused you will quickly move on. The reason they are such a great start is because of the volume of work and variety of technology that you work on.
Pros
Great exposure to networking and technology because of the variety
Cons
Horrible compensation, Expect all skill mastery with no compensation
In the midst of a transformation
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Somewhere, TxJuly 20, 2018
Culture is no longer what it was at Rackspace. The company is now owned by a private equity company and being running super lean with yearly RIFs.
Gone are the Sugarbear MC'ed, culture celebrating days. No more inspirational and motivational Lanham led peptalks. There are more meetings and meetings-to-plan-meetings than ever. There are so many programs, projects and initiatives right now with fewer people to work on them that somedays it feels like Rackers are getting punked.
So what's happening that's good? Rackspace is slowly and painstakingly being transformed. There's a ton of tech debt that's being ripped out and replaced with enterprise quality tools and systems. Much needed consolidation across the business units is taking place. New relationships with huge global partners are being formed. It's exciting but there's a lot of hard work ahead. It's a struggle to stay committed to the grind with so many other "fun" and "exciting" opportunities in the world.
And let's be honest. The current owners are not in it for the long haul. Culture is being nursed along to keep it the Fanatical homage alive . Let's all hope that the new owners value and reinvest in the Rackers that keep the Fanatical in Fanatical Support. And let's hope it happens in the not too distant future.
Pros
Work/life balance, embracing remote workers more, and the Rackers
Cons
Lots of transformation happening without being properly staffed due to RIFs and high attrition

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rackspace. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Rackspace.

Powered by Comparably