Railcrew Xpress (RCX)

• Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

Getting to travel

If you like to drive and travel to different places then this will be a good job for you. Although the local managers and upper management can do better at communicating with each other and with you,it’s not the worst place to work. The pay can definitely be better especially since your on call 24/7.

Pros

Traveling

Cons

Low pay and poor management

good you get too go out of town.you dont get a call when your shift starts,and they expect you too stay late for there incompant lack of management.

the management micro manages,and cant leave well enough alone.they call you and watch you thru the camera from the time you start the car till the end.work place culture is toxic at best they treat you like a little kid.and they write you up for just about anything they dont like.

Pros

get out off town

Cons

toxic managers starting at the top.no pay raises, no real benefits, and little too no praise.run

Great Place to work

Great job, benefits offered. Allows to plan as if a real job and expectations are made clear. The job is easy and at times challenging because of the client needs.

Pros

Flexible schedules great work enviroment

Low wages, not enough hours, and bad management

Low pay; They expect you to be on call 24/7 for just $10 per hour when this job should pay $16 per hour. Some weeks you only get 10 hours unless it's Thanksgiving or Christmas, but average about only 30 hours because they hire too many drivers. High turn over with this company, I had 3 mangers in 1 year and the last one was the absolute worst manager I have ever worked for in my entire life. You get called out primarily at night 99% of the time because most of the other employees work part time days.

Pros

Interesting working with the railroad

Cons

Some of the railroad men are total jerks

Easy Job

Very easy job, I worked in management and absolutely loved the work. It was hard to hire drivers but if someone wants a easy job this is definitely the job for them.

Pros

Benefits, ability to work from home

Cons

On call 24-7

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Unpaid on-call time with minimal support.

You're only paid when your in a van, but you have to drive your personal vehicle from the main office on one side of town to the lot on the other side of town. Dispatch almost never answers the phone. On call time isn't paid, but if you decline a trip you will be written up for attendance.

Pros

No physical labor

Cons

Benefits are poor, hours are inconsistent, can't plan anything on a working day

Odd job,Sabbatical

Their system with their software and call notice is sometimes problematic...When the job first started I was told there would be a 2 hour notice for every call,but would still receive calls after arrival deadlines with no clear set of expectations .When you get a call at some random hour and are given an hour to reach a destination 45 minutes away,and you don't reach that destination within that time frame it effects your driver percentage (?)even if sometimes the arrival time was supposed to be before the call even happened...If it was communicated with the boss that it was based on an impossible standard,sometimes it would still effect your percentage...Possibly from lack of communication...So if you're trying to do a perfect job with punctuality and service,it'll still show up as you looking like a delinquent,and I guess that's how they avoid giving pay raises or acknowledging employee efforts(kinda a wink nudge,this job is perfect for senior citizens).The CSX guys I was working with were easy to get along with,but the management was a little overburdened largely because of understaffing. The job is super easy,and communication isn't the greatest...Overall not awful.

Pros

Scenic cruises, laid back railroad workers

Cons

Poor communication, Bad software

Didn't listen well when started new job. Like

Liked the driving to new places. Wished the job had a little more flexibility, when choosing runs. The time paid for started not to be enough to pay for travel to pickup

Professional and Business Friendly

Driving for Amtrak Crew for me was the best experience ever. They had major respect and duty organization. I had a bad experience with my manager. He wasn't really fair with us.

Pros

Expenses paid for by Amtrak Crew

Cons

PTI is Management weren't reliable

No personal life

It's feast or famine. Either no work at all, or no life outside of work. It's an on-call job, so no call, no pay. No garenteed salary, no way to budget money.

Pros

Cons

Too many to list.

Great company

Great company to work for and easy job. The crews are really understanding with drivers. One of the best companies I have ever worked for. Decent pay.

The people and the pay

Great place to work and great pay. Management is better than what it used to be. Flexible schedule! Been here 3 years and love my job. Crews are great to get along with

Pros

Good money and people

Unorganized

Manager lives out of town. Communicates through text only. WILL NOT answer her phone. She’ll text back. Hours are learned day to day literally. Must have open availability to drive at ANY time to secure enough hours to pay bills.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Inconsistent work, low pay

pay is not the best, hours are weird, and it can be a mess sometimes

long hauling for this job can be wacky at times. Depending how the trains are moving, you could get called at different times of the day which can be great or terrible depending how much sleep you have. The communications between the railroad and other depots where rcx is can be not the best. It can take forever for each other to talk to each other or they never talk to each other and a trip gets messed up. pay isn't the best, especially when there is no work in the winter times. You can sort of make your own schedule but the less trips you take the less money you make. I don't reccomend this job if you like having a schedule. it will seriously mess up your sleep schedule. I luckly had a very nice area manager.

Pros

health benefits.

Cons

sleep schedule is wacky, work can be wacky, not paid enough

Easy Job

It’s easy, but not good pay and very low hours. The vans you drive are not safe and never have their maintenance done. I’ve been told to drive 2 hours on a flat tire and a 3000 mile overdue oil change.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Unsafe, bad pay, low hours

Nice Job overall only if you would like to deal with on call

You drive rail crew around to designated railroads. It's an okay job. The only problem I really had was something inappropriate said to me by a rail crew member. I hated getting paid biweekly because they weren't paying good enough to wait that long. On top of that, the job was mainly on call. Not a good job if you have kids.

Pros

Driving, meeting new people

Cons

Bi-weekly pay, low pay, On-call

Great place to work! You can pretty much pick your hours! Pay is every two weeks. Decent benefits, the health insurance is pretty decent. You also drive there vans instead of putting miles on your vehicle which is nice.

Pros

Pay is every 2 weeks, health insurance 90 days, pick your own hours

Cons

Travel far Last minute runs

The actual job is easy and fun. Poor management and unsafe practices ruin the job

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Railcrew Xpress (RCX) is impossible. If you need hours you have to be available 24/7Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at Railcrew Xpress (RCX) are substandard.

Job Expectations > Compensation

The job responsibilities for drivers and managers far exceed the compensation. One simple error and you could be terminated. Very difficult to make personal plans due to being on call 24hrs on work days. Company has high turnover, hours of work very greatly and no overtime is allowed.

Pros

If you enjoy driving

Cons

Wages, hours of work, personal time, job expectations

Fast paced and all about the numbers

I had the opportunity to work with railcrew when the partnered with Amazon on the logistics side working as a Amazon van driver. Compensation was great, very fast paced. Numbers and safety were their number one priority.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Long days

It's an okay job

You pretty much make as many hours as your wanting to make of you want to be taking a trip or not. Personally it's an easy job to just sit in a car and drive the crew back and forth or even just wait on them for hours . Your still getting paid either way. But I don't suggest anyone having this job if they aren't ambitious to keep taking trips to work or taking trips over night if that's when you would normally sleep. I personally haven't even made 40 hours a week working it felt more like a part time worth of pay that I had struggled to pay some bills

Pros

Listen to music, travel to places

Cons

Fatigue

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Railcrew Xpress (RCX). Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7