Railroad Commission of Texas Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Productive and friendly environment to work
Programmer IV (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 25, 2018
Worked with friendly and knowable co-workers who know their job and willing to help if you have an issue. Typical day is coding and testing programs for projects or maintenance work. I am also the team lead so I was also responsible for handing out work and sizing new project on how much time it would take to finish.
Pros
Health Insurance is paid for
Cons
Hard to get promotion
Easy job with great benefits
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 26, 2018
Pay varied greatly depending on what department you were in. Little room for growth and raises within department. Easy going coworkers and great benefits.
Good jump-start for engineering career
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 19, 2018
MSWord programs were difficult to work with when trying to finish a document in outdated WordPerfect software . Frustrating, but learned a lot about different ways to tweak the different programs.

"Good Old Boy" structure in some departments,making it very difficult to work effectively with a few employees who had been there for 20 years, and at times impossible and very frustrating, Witnessed disturbing verbal and otherwise illegal abuse in the workplace.
Pros
Layed-back atmosphere.
Cons
Not a zero tolerance workplace.
Great place to work if you like stability and consistency
Engineering Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 3, 2018
PROS: the great healthcare benefits offered to you by being a state employee, always getting off at the same time every day, work/life balance especially if you have a family, and job security through the ups and downs of the oil industry.

CONS: little to no career advancement, your boss is ultimately an elected politician, no support from upper management, an archaic IT system, poor compensation, and no bonuses regardless of your performance.
Great Place to work
Oil & Gas Compliance Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 13, 2017
Driving around the oilfield inspecting oil & gas wells, loved the work and people. Great people in the office, things run slow and easy working for the state. I do wish pay was better.
Pros
Working at own pace
Cons
Pay
Great place to work.
Assistant Director-Finance and Administration (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 9, 2017
The name does not clearly indicate what this State of Texas government agency does now, but they are primarily involved in the regulation of the Oil and Gas industry, natural gas, and alternative fuels.
Stability
Mapping Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 5, 2017
Good place to work due to the stability.
Agency is self-funded for the most part so it kinda helps with the job security. You really have to mess up bad to get fired especially if you are not in upper level management.
The commissioners are career politicians so sometimes you just gotta close your ears to the politics and do your job.
Pros
free health insurance for employees, paid vacations and sick leaves, stability
Cons
Lack of career advancement, workplace politics, low pay compared to industry, Upper management lack of touch with lower level employee
Oil and Gas
Director (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 4, 2017
This agency has a long history. The three heads are elected statewide and serve six year terms. Unless something has changed, there is limited continuity.
The employees are dedicated and hard working
Pros
The prestige of working for the Commission
Cons
Limited room for advancement.
State Agency
Support Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 14, 2017
I have enjoyed the agency and its benefits. The people have openly welcomed me into their environment. I have yet to meet someone that will not assist, help or instruct when asked.
Great Work Life Balance
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 18, 2017
In the division I work in, every manager truly believes in maintaining a work-life balance that supports healthy family relationships. There is plenty of comp time given.
Good place to work for the self motivated.
Environmental clean-up Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pampa, TXMay 4, 2017
For the most part management is pretty hands off. The pay is not great, but the benefits can't be beat. This is a good place to get regulatory experience and to get started in the oil and gas industry.
Pros
Good place to gain experience.
Cons
Pay, isn't great.
Good place to learn oil field regulation and operations
Engineering Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 26, 2017
A typical Day at work involves answering e-mails, communicating with Management, setting goals and objectives for the day and week, updating and reporting progress on long term projects, fielding several calls from operators and concerned citizens, participating in and conducting several engineering reviews for all verities of upstream drilling, competitions, and operational situations, filling out forms, planning and executing activities for abandon and orphan well cleanup sites. Participating in regular and unscheduled meetings. Directing inspection staff in the field and occasional participating in field work. One day a week and one weekend a month as a member of the technical staff we take after hours call.

I've learned about and had direct involvement in the execution of nearly all aspects of upstream oil and gas field regulatory framework, I've had to think on my feet, and produce accurate calculations and drawings in support of routine and emergency engineering and operational situations that come up in the upstream oil field at all hours of the day and night. Including drilling, plugging, disposal, UIC, operations, cavern storage, transport, remediation, emergency response, permitting, and compliance and enforcement.

Management is professional and supportive and sets reasonable goals and objectives given priorities and political constraints

The hardest part of the job is the limited budgets and bureaucratic constraints

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with seasoned professionals and having a seat at the table for dealing with the most challenging
  more... technical and regulatory issues that arise in the upstream oil field. Houston is a very diverse, challenging, and busy district.  less
Pros
Learning and responsibility plus job security
Cons
Bureaucratic and below market pay
Generally at that time was a great place, considering it was a state employee agency
Engineering Specialist III-V/ Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJanuary 17, 2017
With budget constraints and the State of Texas and elected state commissioners running to show, did not leave much error in annual budgets and so they did not have the best in office amenities. Employees created there own moral whether it was good or bad. Most of the staff at that time got along very well, this was due to a great director who ran the Midland office.
Pros
Never were subject to layoff rumors, so you did your duty and put your time in for the day and assisted.
Cons
Not much hope in pay since the legislators always had the last say....
N/a
Engineer Specialist (Current Employee) –  TXMay 22, 2016
It's a good job for job security, good people to work with. The most enjoyable part of the day is knowing you are making a difference.
low pay
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  MidlandAugust 10, 2015
Learned how to work and deal with different types of oil operators. Learned to be an engineering tech and the day to day operations that goes with working for the State.
Pros
good job to have for a retired person with oil field experience.
Cons
no advancement, low pay, you pay for your benefits.
Great Benefits / Ease of Work
Field Engineer Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Austin TexasJune 21, 2015
O&G Field Ops - RRC is a great place for the family person. Most days are 8-5. Work is rarely too rough. Great on field history of oil and gas sector in Texas. Can be very political. Management depends on which district office you work in .
Very Busy
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXMay 18, 2015
I absolutely love working for the Railroad Commission! There is never a dull day and you always have something to work on. My only complaint is that the pay is not so good, but thats what you get when you work for the state.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Not paid enough
It was an enjoyable workplace until they had a change in management.
Administrative Technician II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 3, 2015
A typical day at work was enjoyable because I learned new aspects of the job daily because I worked with the director of the department. I learned the rules, regulations and safety measures that had to be taken while working with Liquefied Petroleum Gas, Compressed Natural Gas and Liquefied Natural Gas. I enjoyed working with the management team, because I learned so much from them. My co-workers were okay and lot of them disliked me because I worked with management, but I looked at it like this, they had the same opportunity to apply for the job just like I did. The hardest part of the job was being was understanding why my co-workers did not like me. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the director, learning the rules and regulations and being a to keep busy. I enjoyed my job so much I would bring work home.
Pros
Enjoyed working with the director and learning new things.
Cons
Understanding my co-workers at times.
Railroad Commission of Texas
Engineering Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 26, 2015
I love the job, but when the oil industry is not thriving, neither are we. With the falling prices of oil, drilling has slowed, and so has the work. Our compensation is tied to special legislative sessions, so we are never sure if there will be an increase or not. There is some red tape. Raises and merit pay is almost non-existent. The environment is great. I love my bosses, just wish there was better compensation.
Pros
Great work environment and longevity
Cons
State job with state pay
deadline-driven, offering a superior work ethic, great attention to detail, and excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, time-managemen
Engineer Technician III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 28, 2013
It was a wonderful place to work closely with engineers and other administrative technicians. We worked hard to meet deadlines each month. We were a team who worked together to accomplish our goals and solve problems. The challenges we faced each day by facing demands of the Oil and Gas industry were not easy. But we prided ourselves in trying to satisfy the expectations of each customer. We worked hard and celebrated our accomplishments together as a team. I learned as a team leader, that the secret in leading is acknowledging and standing up for the teams needs, and supplying enough support to meet their needs.
Pros
when available, merit raises were a bonus
Cons
extremely competetive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Railroad Commission of Texas. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.3InHerSight Score

1.0Personal Development

1.0Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight