Railroad Commission of Texas logo
Railroad Commission of Texas

Railroad Commission of Texas Employee Reviews

Good Job

Working for the RRC is a safe job and you learn a lot about federal and state regulations. It is frustrating to work for a government organization with all the redundancies that are in place. Travel can be cumbersome and exhausting. First-level management needs some improvement and consistency needs to be a lot better. All in all, not a bad career.

One of the many TOXIC and Non-Diversified working environment

Don't recommend anyone who is has smarts or initiative to take a job here at all. You will be sorely disappointed. Managers are totally ignorant of managing. Promoting is not done the standard way, instead it's favoritism.

great work life balance, fair pay and benefits

This place is fantastic for work life balance, pay and benefits are decent to fantastic when you consider the workload. Making one's own calendar month to month and setting one's own hours is fantastic. However. Management style is sporadic and lacks positive or cohesive mission direction. By that I mean to say that management can vary drastically from region to region to Austin HQ. Interaction with management vary greatly from region to region, some see their manager once a month with little to no input on daily work; other regions see their manager every day with constant input on daily work. Directives that are mission critical may be placed on the website, or disseminated only via an email with no "high importance" flag or explanation. Very little coaching or uniformity of messaging/JD updates. Employees in the field may get one directive from Austin HQ, but be told to do something entirely different by regional management; and both may differ from what other inspectors or the operators that you're auditing expect. Training at the federal level is awesome, though sometimes doesn't apply to state level of job performance. There's very little training at the state level to prepare inspectors appropriately or uniformly for optimal job performance, and employees are often left to determine critical matters subjectively, only to be told later by someone senior that it should've been done differently. Typical level of politics for a state agency. Very flat organization- little opportunity for advancement or merit advancements; only advancement by political favor or possibly -

Not a recommendation

This is not a recommended place to work. The staff is not helpful in a team setting and it is not a place for growth. It was unfortunate because I longed to work for Texas, but this was truly lacking in respect of the great state.

Productive and inclusive work space

Everyone there seemed driven to succeed and willing to help out others. Some of the work can be tedious depending what department you are in. Never feel a lack of community.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Great people at District levels, micro management from Headquarters

Good luck! Typical day would be different from day to day, felt like we were chasing our tails at times. Lots of PR work with public and companies, trying to keep both happy. Safety and regulatory compliance plays a big part of job, but, in reality we were just record keepers.

Stable work environment

Varying managers determined the work stress levels and how we interacted with the public. This made for pleasant as well as difficult interactions because we were enforcing laws that many people were unaware of.

RRC Still Living in “Good Ole Days”

Outdated practices, policies & procedures. Quick to say “we’ve been doing it this way for 30 years. Practices demonstrate that motto, which can be frustrating for newer staff. Has a lot of long term employees.

Great place to work!

RRC was filled with dedicated state employees who were very engaged in protecting the interests of the citizens of the State of Texas. I was very impressed with each of the commissioners as well as with the Executive Director, Kim C.

Little pay in a toxic work environment

Hopefully some one who gets a job there scores the right department and manager. Its a toxic work environment and little place to grow and advance. Arrogant management that doesn't appreciate their team that gets paid little to do a mediocre job.

Jobs at Railroad Commission of Texas

See more jobs

okay place to work, needs lots of updating

okay place to work, needs lots of updating, needs more updates to the work place, staff was nice but needed more modern work living. The management staff were very nice and helpful

Work was repetitive but not stressful

I enjoy the culture and the people I worked with. Spent most of time on Microsoft word and other office programs. Technical Permitting can only be so fun.

great place to work for

I issued waste hauler permits for the state of Texas. Very fast paced-dealing with people coming in, phones, permits, computer entry, , dealing with money for the permits.

Pros

great people to work with.

Opportuntity to learn more

Training available to Improve knowledgement for department, advancement is available to cross train in other departments. High Customer Service require do to high call volume with profressionalism.

Good place to work.

Good place to work. Great management. It is a political driven industry. The commission is migrating from legacy IT systems which is a challenge. The location is a traffic challenge.

nice place to work

I had a temporary job with a certain project at RRC. I enjoyed my time there but it was short and I don't really know about the day-to-day as a full time person.

Pros

good people, working agile project

Cons

short term project, staff turnover

Fun and productive environment

Work life balance is great. Great place to learn new technologies and opportunities to grow and apply experience gained from other projects. .

I really enjoyed my time at the Railroad Commission of Texas. My boss was amazing. I wish the compensation would keep up with the cost of living in Austin. If it wasn't for the low pay, I would still be working there. Everyone was great to work with.

Pros

Great working environment

Cons

Low pay

Productive and friendly environment to work

Worked with friendly and knowable co-workers who know their job and willing to help if you have an issue. Typical day is coding and testing programs for projects or maintenance work. I am also the team lead so I was also responsible for handing out work and sizing new project on how much time it would take to finish.

Pros

Health Insurance is paid for

Cons

Hard to get promotion

Easy job with great benefits

Pay varied greatly depending on what department you were in. Little room for growth and raises within department. Easy going coworkers and great benefits.

Good jump-start for engineering career

MSWord programs were difficult to work with when trying to finish a document in outdated WordPerfect software . Frustrating, but learned a lot about different ways to tweak the different programs. "Good Old Boy" structure in some departments,making it very difficult to work effectively with a few employees who had been there for 20 years, and at times impossible and very frustrating, Witnessed disturbing verbal and otherwise illegal abuse in the workplace.

Pros

Layed-back atmosphere.

Cons

Not a zero tolerance workplace.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Railroad Commission of Texas. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

1.3
InHerSight Score
1.0Personal Development
1.0Career Opportunities
1.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight