Railserve, Inc. Employee Reviews

Wonderful Place to Work
Site Leader (Former Employee) –  Franklin, VAJuly 14, 2019
My 15 years at Railserve were terrific. Great management team! Only reason I left is because the job ended in my area and I didn’t want to relocate.
Employees start at the entry level position but have every opportunity for advancement.
Poor employee treatment, but ok if u jus need work
Railcar unloader (Former Employee) –  Saint James, LAJuly 5, 2019
If you work for them and you plan on leaving to another job. Don’t let them find out . Because you won’t get that new job. They have called and stopped guys from getting better jobs.
The Total Package!!!
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILJuly 2, 2019
This company is amazing! You can hire in at entry level and have opportunity to advance and re locate. Raises every 90 days, safety bonuses, awards for being safe plus more. Hard work with an emphasis around safety in a very team oriented environment. Great management and they invest heavily in safety
Pros
Multiple avenues for advancement, benefits are amazing, 401k matching every two weeks plus an annual kicker from the parent company!
Cons
Work in the elements and high demand to work by the rule(if you dont value your well being!?!?)
No Advancement Opportunity unless you suck off the boss
Switchman/ Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 28, 2019
You work constantly with no life outside of work. They will screw you on overtime if they get the chance. Raises only come along if your an asskisser to the boss. They expect you to work extra hours when the guys they like call off with no repercussions, then when you can’t come in they give you the cold shoulder. Supervisors are lazy and sit on the engine constantly making it impossible for a new guy to advance and learn new parts of the trade. You’re better off applying for a real rail company than these clowns.
Good for anyone who wants to settle for 15$ an hour
Crew Leader / Helper (Current Employee) –  Eastover, SCJune 20, 2019
can be a very stressfull job. You never know your work load, it varies day by day. the amount of work that i do as a helper/crew leader is NOT worth the money. all supervisors should be working supervisors not lazy ones. its not hard work, you just have to use you common sense and stay safe! saftey is key at this job.
Pros
free lunches and gifts for attaboys/attagirls
Cons
stressfull, work not worth the money
Busy hot or cold
Switch men (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJune 20, 2019
Hard work can be dangerous at times. Always have to be thinking about what you're doing and any crews that u could come in contact with. Lots of walking
Ok place to work
Locomotive Operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 11, 2019
This is a ok company to get your foot into the railroad biz. I’ve been treated fair and the pay is low. You start of around 17-19 an hour. But you have job security.
Pros
You always work and learn about the railroad biz
Cons
Low pay
Extremely poor management!!!!
Transloader (Former Employee) –  Stroud, OKJune 10, 2019
The management comes up with new rules very often and expects you to abide by them when they dont. They do not care about the employees what so ever. When you shift doesnt have a train to work on you have to power wash, weed eat, mow, paint, clean bathrooms and kitchen and buff the floors etc. repeatedly! There is no down time. You will always be doing something!!!!
This is definitely not the job they said it would be.
They pay schedule sucks!!

Every month you switch shifts.
Say you start on days the following month you will work nights.
Pros
Good/friedly employees
Cons
Management.things you have to do when there isnt a train
Great job
Railroad transloader (Former Employee) –  Stroud, OKMay 20, 2019
Worked long hours, on call 24/7 worked in all weather conditions,rain, snow,sleet, ice it didnt matter always had to work but it was a good job. Very hands on
Don't waste your time
Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2019
This job is a dead end. The pay will not support a man, much less one with a family. Management will not have your back know matter how hard you've worked for them or how well.
Pros
No supervision
Cons
Everything. Pay STINKS, no raises, no advancement, management is a joke...
The OVERALL of the Dayton Site
Crew Lead/helper/operator (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 18, 2019
To work at this site I had to learn all three positions even though I was hired on as a operator / helper. I was constantly put down by coworkers telling me I would never be as good as them at the job every time the site Supervisor was not there. It was bad enough I had enough stuff going on in my life example losing my wife and had to come into this environment of negativity and always told I was never going to be as good. Even though the environment was not good I still woke up everyday and came into work and covered every emergency switch or any shift the site supervisor called or texted me for because she knew she could count on me more than the other employees example there was this one co-worker that always had excuses for everything always taking time off. I really enjoyed doing my job even in the different kinds of weather but just wish there was better circumstances and a more positive environment.
Pros
Outside work
Crew Leader
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Geismar, LAMay 11, 2019
Job is ok. The pay could be better for what you do. The hardest part of the job is working in the summer heat. Managment works well with schedule if you have something coming up. Some crews work alot more than others for the same pay. They will also pay you off of likeability more so than your ability to do your job. Bonuses every 3 months if no incident.
Pros
Schedule is good and benefits are ok
Cons
Some crews are not working as hard as other crews
Great company to work for
Transloader (Current Employee) –  Eddystone, PAMay 2, 2019
Physical work in all types of weather, pay is very good for the work load and area. Railserve takes good care of employees and also has room for advancement at sites around the country. Benefits are good and 401k and safety bonuses are good. Railserve is a great company to work for if your willing to work hard and learn.
Pros
Pay, benefits, co-workers
Cons
Schedule
Upper management stinks
Train Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 1, 2019
I worked at railserve for 8 years and all I got was this lousy t-shirt. Management loves to blow smoke but once I topped out at $19 it was all downhill from there. No room for advancement and they treated their employees like dirt. Giving bare minimum and expecting top quality.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Everything else
Cool people there but railserve loves to lay employees off often!
Transloader (Former Employee) –  Mills, WYApril 26, 2019
Cool people
Stupid slow
Okay work
Opportunity to learn skills to take somewhere else if you don’t get laid off first
Possible to advance to pipeline operator if the company can keep work/contracts
Pros
Cool people
Cons
Lay offs
job
Groundsman (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 18, 2019
It was an alright job. But the pay sucks, and you didn't know what you were coming into each and every day. The site leader was lazy and didn't want to work unless the big boss came to the site. The company they worked for didn't know too how to properly load and unload certain railcars. Some days you would literally sit all day doing nothing and other days would work all day without a lunch break. Also, have to come in on a weekend and move once and sit for hours until last minute moves cars again.
You will learn more about railroads than you ever imagined, how cool is that !
Yardman (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 15, 2019
Class B railroading is a dirty,dangerous,underpaying but yet fascinating way to make a living. You will learn a whole new really cool set of new job skills!
Pros
Train engines, need you say any more!
Cons
Dirty, dangerous, underpaying and other senior employees who break all of the saftey rules on a very regular basis.
good company to work for
crew leader/ switchman (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 14, 2019
over all this company was good. they had good pay and benefits to offer. i would work long night and tons of overtime. they were always offering overtime.
Pros
good pay
Cons
always busy
Good place to work just not a good time
Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Stroud, OKMarch 24, 2019
I have no issues with the company i just do not see my self growing any more in this company. They enviroment is typically good just sometimes negative. It is a good company for the area its in to get a start in this line of work.
Pay is based off how they like you not how you work
Operator Helper (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILMarch 23, 2019
My starting pay was lower than some people that had 1/2 my experience. If you suck up to management it will reflect on your raise. I havent had a full weekend off in over 6 months and dont see 1 in the near future. Other than that the crews are easy to get along with. I loved working outside walking anywhere to 5 to 10 miles a day. They invest in safety. Where other companies talk about it, they show the importance of it. Also great benefits at a fair cost.
Pros
Benefits, co-workers, outside, quarterly raise and bonus.
Cons
Pay, on site management, schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Railserve, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9