Ralphs Employee Reviews

Working in a California Deli is the best.
Service Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJuly 2, 2018
A typical day at work is seeing face to face with my regular customers. I learned all about diversity and how good it does in communities. Management is very consistent and honest. They are always straight forward and do what they can to help. Culture is rich which was, at the time, a refreshing change from the midwest where culture was scarce. The hardest part of the job was leaving it because I had to move away. The best part was the room for advancement, benefits and the friends I made along the way that became family.
Pros
benefits, hours, culture, community
Cons
difficulty in transfers and relocation
Just another job
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJuly 10, 2018
PRO: Job isn't bad overall. I enjoy talking to the customers and helping them out. My pay is relatively OK compared to other chains, but I to work 6 days to make ends meet if the store has the hours. Everyone is usually considered part-time. CON: I strive to do more and I feel like the company is more talk than action. There is never enough time for upper management to teach you new things in order to be successful at the next level. In addition, its hard to move a new position if you don't have a replacement in mind that is trained. I don't feel as though someone should be held back because the company has a hard time finding a decent replacement. Although I successfully get along with employees, there tends to be complacency for the older employees that feel that they deserve better and the younger ones are sometimes lazy.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
employee acknowledgement is low
It was okay.
Courtesy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CANovember 28, 2018
While the work was decent, I loved working with my coworkers. The customers were great most of the time too. Hours were pretty bad and way inconsistent. Some weeks I had 30+, some I had under 20. I don’t remember ever getting pay raises, except when the minimum wage went up. I think I was barely making over it. Overall, it was an ok job, but the people and atmosphere kinda made up for it.
Retail
Driver (Current Employee) –  RiversideNovember 14, 2018
It’s retail, long hours sometimes 6 days a week. But the work is easy. They have new equipment and the vice is really good to relaxed with management. We are pampered compared with other truck jobs.
Pros
Make really good money plus free benefits
Cons
Long hours, little family time.
The sense of urgency
Deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 22, 2018
They have a saying about the sense of urgency in the store. None of the managers can explain it but use it as an excuse that you are not working at the speed their book says. The customers are their number 1 priority, as a service deli worker. Good luck trying to get a 10 minute break of going on lunch on time.
Benefits
Cons
Management, pay, and the lack of hours
Haven't worked here in 10 years
Grocery Bagger (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CANovember 29, 2018
I remember pay was great for a first job, time did go by quickly. I worked in the deli and as a bagger here. Job was fun, went by quickly. Management was poor back then. For a first job pay was good, gave benefits.
Pros
Discounts shopping at store
Cons
bad management
Fast-paced job and great working space
Bakery Clerk/Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJuly 24, 2018
I could honestly say this company made me get out of my comfort zone.
The week of training is the best, you learn hands on how to do everything. Hands on make everythin. I had fun leaning and we had a great teacher too.
I really did like working for Ralph’s but I moved out of the state.
You had your regular customers which is one of the things I like the most.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Favoritism
It Pays The Bills
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 29, 2018
Management Needs Major Improvement, They Do NOT Properly Train, A Typical Day In My Position Is Very Stressful, The Most Enjoyable Part Is Making My Customers And Fellow Associates Happy.
Pros
401K Plan
Cons
Poor Management
Few employees and huge load of work
Floral assistant (Current Employee) –  Flintridge, CAOctober 8, 2018
The salary is lower than what you do. Especially for the night and morning crew there is a high load of work to do but unfortunately there are not enough employees scheduled for the day.
Pproductive and fun work place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 4, 2018
This is my Dream Job

Everyone that Ive ever worked with at Ralphs was truly a blessing to me
I learned alot even from the People that did not like me
I really enjoyed all of the jobs Ive done @Ralphs. I learned some folks are not your friends!!!

Management Awesome

The hardest Part of the job was when its time to go home and you have just one more thing you want to get done before clocking out

The most enjoyable part is being able to help Customers and Coworkers

Still Love working at Ralphs
Ralphs is Number One
Pros
employee pot lucks in break room
Cons
Health care/ 401k
Good first job of you don’t care about pay or long hours
Meat Wrapper (Former Employee) –  Temple City, CAJune 26, 2018
It was a first job. Didn’t expect to be paid like a king right out of high school. Benefits sucked, long back breaking hours, smelled like fish all day everyday and pay was minimum wage.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Pay, benefits, long hours
Good company to work for.
COMBO CLERK (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 1, 2018
I enjoyed working for this company very much. They took care of their employees and made sure breaks and lunches were taken. Work did get difficult during busy times if we were short handed.
Pros
Good health benefits. Money spent at store comes back to you in check form to be used at store.
Cons
Favoritism keeps the correct people from being promoted.
Busy place to work
Bakery Assistant/Cake Decorator and Price Tagger (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAAugust 3, 2018
The people at Ralphs are very friendly. You need to work independently. There is not discrimination. People work in different departments, therefore the job environment changes.
Pros
job secure
Cons
low salary
Very Poor Management With Stressful Conditions
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAMay 11, 2018
It is highly difficult to make time off requests, because the managers fail to approve them in time. It is a primarily Spanish speaking environment, if you are not fluent in the Spanish language you will struggle following orders correctly. The customers are rude, and the store is not in a safe area. Transients and drug addicts hang out in the parking lot, as you are expected to retrieve carts from said area. The management will constantly schedule you against your availability, regardless of how many times you remind them. It is also a cliquey environment, lots of gossip and judgement between the coworkers. It is not a friendly environment, seeming as plenty of employees show up to work under the influence of drugs. If the company did drug tests on any random day, half the staff would fail to pass. There are days where there is absolutely nothing to do, and you are still expected to find something to do. And other times, it is extremely overwhelmingly busy and crowded, and always bothered my anxiety issues. I definitely would not recumbent until they hire better managers. If you think that working in a grocery store is a good idea because they would give you an employee discount, they don't. As a courtesy clerk, you will receive little to no benefits.
unorganized management and poor work environment
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAMay 11, 2018
Management wasn't consistent at all especially when they got rid of overtime. I worked on average 5-6 hours each shift there and I got no pay raises or recognition for my hard work.
The people are great
Deli Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAJuly 8, 2018
The people, such as the customers, and coworkers, are amazing, The only stressful part about working here is the demand of customer service and lack of help.
benefits
Cons
lack of help
A Quick Rundown as a Courtesy Clerk at Ralphs
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJuly 21, 2018
A typical day at work would have you starting off the day/evening/night with bagging groceries, if not handling carts outside, or if not doing your job duty for the day. It's hard to manage the time you need to keep on your task when there is a shortage of courtesy clerks, and no help around.

One thing I learned that can be applicable in all job scenarios is speed is not the key point to developing any skills, but precision and good organization are two things to keep in mind when doing tasks at a brisk pace.

Management is a hassle with how crazy it can be, dealing with customers and their possibly large orders, for both the cashier and the bagger involved. There are many times where we just don't have enough people on hand to speed up the lines, which is always the hardest part of the job, which is out of everyone's control.

The general work area in the front end is usually reflected on your personal behavior with everyone around you, if you are nice/rude to anyone, they tend to reflect that back to you, generally making it easy or hard to communicate effectively. Some people may get lazy, all workers alike, and tend to slow the pace down, or are no where to be found.

The most enjoyable part of work is difficult to answer, but it's generally brought down to being able to help a customer just trying to find something. It's really simple, and it really brings out your knowledge of your store in a physical point of view, making you look dependable and able to assist others.
Pros
10% discount, Healthcare Benefits, 401k, Potential to save on gas
Cons
Very Short Breaks, New hires get the short-end of the stick (2003-2004 strike)
Ralphs
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CANovember 22, 2018
I was a department manager at Ralphs. Handling the Commercial Bakery was challenging and fun. I got a lot of work done and time went by very quickly. I learned how to manage a department with flying aces. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the customers, they are such great people. The management is exceptional. The workplace culture is diverse and friendly. The hardest part of the job was dealing with holidays, only because during holidays, orders are a bit harder to gauge.
Pros
Good management, Friendly Staff
Cons
Managers are too stressed to care
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAMarch 8, 2018
When I was employed through Ralphs, I felt that store directors weren't very caring and all business. They made everyone else feel stressed out and uncomfortable. Pay absolutely sucks because raises are far and few in-between and they are literally like 10 cents. I started at $8.00, and in 3 in a half years i left at $8.25. It was ridiculous.
Good Starter Job to Gain Experience - Not a Career Path
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAAugust 15, 2018
This job provided a decent starting work environment, and was a great first job initially because it taught me basic workplace ethics and practices, tact when dealing with irritated or otherwise rude customers, and time management. As time progressed and I moved departments from front end customer service to
General Merchandise, I began to see the underlying issues across all departments in the store. Primarily, corporate did not allow enough budget for labor hours to be able to schedule enough help. This caused a constant trend of short-handedness throughout all departments and even the front end, to the point where they were regularly pulling employees from already shorthanded departments to help bag and cashier up front. There seemed to be a lot of under-handedness in the scheduling as well in that you would be promoted to a new position or moved at your choice, yet they would still schedule you for your old department because they didn't bother to replace you or plan ahead in the schedule. Granted, these are issues that could be resolved by complaining to the union or talking with the managers, but it's the principle that they would try to treat their employees that way that I find so irksome. Overall, there was a very strong paradigm among the employees that management didn't care about their employees and they only focused on maximizing effort while minimizing hours. While it is absolutely a fundamental business practice to schedule employees efficiently as possible, it's not acceptable to ignore the pathos of the situation and disregard morale in considering efficiency.
  more... If they cared as much about the morale and well-being of employees as they did their profit margins, they would see that efficiency would improve through higher motivation and enthusiasm in the workplace, as well as their income due to the ability to actually fully carry out the tasks needed to maintain overall customer satisfaction and merchandise in-stock.

In conclusion, This job is actually a very good starter in that it gives you good experience and is able to certify you for a number of things (Powered Industrial Trucks, Food Handling, etc.), and you are able to see firsthand the effects of both good and poor business practices; however, you may find that you "outgrow" the job within a year or so will want to find employment elsewhere.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management