Ralphs Employee Reviews

Work is focused and helps with getting shifts together
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAMarch 17, 2019
Shifts are organized chaos most days, but management helps keeping things focused. People are fun but focused. Most shifts pass by quickly. The work load is fair so long as everyone works together
Started out well...then became stressful
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAMarch 16, 2019
Typical day? Let's see, come in, take care of almost everything. Including things my bakery manager was supposed to do, but they got to busy messing around/goofing off and didn't do. Then do the list of things they asked me to, and when I was unable to complete some tasks, I got in trouble. I'm not sure how they think I can do 8hrs of work in 5hrs.
Also management (store managers/district managers/corporate), exceptions are to high, they seem to think if "we cut hours, more work will get done", which is false and stresses the employees out.

The highlight of the job, was coworkers, who understood the stress of the job and are generally good people.

Fact is, even a union rep I spoke to once said "Bakery and Service Deli. are the two most stressful and hardest jobs, as well the most Underpaid for the stress and required work."

There was also a clear level of favoritism, you were either on the good side of the store manager, or the bad. Once you were on the bad side, there was no changing it. If you were a favorite, you got away with everything, and can get away with not completing your work, taking overtime, and avoiding repercussions. On the flip side, if your on the bad side, even when you do all of your work and more, you don't get the recognition you should.

Raises were also not great. After every 600 hours you'd get a 10 cent increase, after what seems like forever you will get a 20 cent increase every 800-1,000 hours. Not completely the companies fault that was something the union negotiated. This information is not confidential because it is in the contract,
  more... which anyone can view online.  less
Pros
union, medical benefits, felixaeble hours
Cons
Stressful, favoritism, and unrealistic expectations
Always busy
Ralphs (Cashier) (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 11, 2019
Store is always busy and theres always something to do. A very dynamic group of co-workers with a great chemistry. A very family friendly store located in the middle of a neighborhood.
A solid Grocery company
Assistant Manager of Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAMarch 10, 2019
During my time at Ralphs I mostly worked swing shift as a supervisor. I counted the safe at night and ran my cashiers breaks. I also stocked shelves and placed orders.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Too much competition in the grocery business
Fast paced work
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMarch 9, 2019
Ralphs is better suited for those still in high school or those looking for a part time job. You're not given any benefits and are forced to pay a high monthly rate for their union.
My department had great people.
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAMarch 9, 2019
Day one everyone was friendly but to the point. I worked through the busiest holiday and I felt confident enough to work on my own even though it was my first month working there.
Horrible place to work
Curtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 8, 2019
Corrupt leadership is just the start of a long list of things i hated while being at Ralphs. They would never listen to a college students schedule, and would get mad if i said no to being called in. They got upset when i told them i had to take Sundays off for church. They also don't pay well, and on top of low wages, you have to pay union dues.
Great prices
General Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAFebruary 27, 2019
What can I say I've been working at Ralph's for 28 years. I was a grocery manager for 15 years. I've been a dairy deli manager. I'm a back up receiver when needed. I just want to make more money and at my own pace.
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
Customer service
Hhh
Ralph meat clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 26, 2019
Very cool cold have to be a hard worker for this jobs it requires a lot of physical work and cold endurance but overall it was very cool laid back staff
Pros
Jod pay
Cons
No hours
Summary
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAFebruary 23, 2019
The ralphs experience depends on which location you are at. Some locations have cool managers that know how to run a store, and others have managers that just want to control people and act like a nut. They have a tendency to work overwork people for a lame pay. They want one person to do entirely too much, you would swear you wrote that you were thor on your application. It just depends on the type of person you are. I believe that something needs to be said about how they work people because it feels like modern day slavery. Also you have to deal with annoying co workers who thrive to have a drama, why I dont know? We are all there to get a check. Anyways, Some may love it and some may hate it.
Pros
what are pros working here lmao
Cons
terrible managment
productive but stressful work enviornment
Service Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dana Point, CAFebruary 19, 2019
all of my co-workers were kind and understanding, but the environment itself was quite stressful and i feel i didn't get adequate training. It just wasn't the job for me i suppose.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
stressful and nobody really seemed to be on the same page with the scheduling or training
Fast paced and stressful
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAFebruary 15, 2019
Short staffed
Poor management
Poor salary
Keep cutting our hours
Can be stressful when it busy because they are short staffed and will have to deal with angry customers that don’t understand your short staffed
Pros
Paid vacation
Cons
No other discounts
The Supermarket
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CA 90247February 15, 2019
Working at a supermarket is a good entry level job. I only worked there for 4 months because I was working 2 jobs at that time. But overall it was a good experience for me. I helped cashiers and customers and kept the store clean. My neighbor has worked there since the late 60's so you can turn it into a career if you want. It comes with many benefits.
Summary
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 4, 2019
-stressful, confusing managers
-how to deal with rude customers
- often different instructions from different
- kind, funny, yet serious among co-workers
-staying on your feet for 8 hours with 1 ten minute break and sometimes 1 half hour break
- the customer's stories
Pros
paid breaks, extra for graveyard shifts
Cons
bad scheduling/often unclear
Secure but not fun
cashier and bagger (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 2, 2019
I have worked at Ralphs for over two years and i can definitely say that the company itself is by far amazing. Always flexible with hours and always considering the things that i was requesting as an employee. The thing I hated though, was the work environment itself (the people i worked with). Constant hostile attitudes from my coworkers and even fights. Over time there began to be discomfort being there which is why i decided to leave. I wish I didnt feel pressured to leave because I am certain i will not find a company as secure as ralphs but the managers definitely need to put their employees in check.
Pros
flexible hours, union
Cons
rude coworkers, careless managers, hostile environment
Great food grocery employer
Produce/GM Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 31, 2019
Ralphs is a great employer who value their employees. There are multiple ladders of promotion and pay. Ralphs compensate their employees for highly satisfaction surveys from customers feedback. If you work hard and show initiative, you’ll promote fast. I recommend this type of job for people interested in retail, customer service, and long-term employment.
Pros
Additional hourly pay on Sundays and daily after 11pm.
Cons
Management can be complacent at times especially the over-zealous sale managers
A day at Ralphs
Service Deli Cook/Front Counter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90045January 31, 2019
Working at Ralphs is an eye opening experience. I started not knowing anything about food service on such a massive level, but the job did well of training me to the point I could run the entire place alone for a couple of hours. My skills in the service deli mainly consist of food prep, but also scheduling, taking charge, and an utmost care and cleanliness of my work area. The job has treated me very well with pay and benefits, but new ventures and work experience always get you ahead in life and the experience is something to be gained in the long run.
Fast Paced Environment
Meat Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 30, 2019
Fast paced work. If you want to get ahead, you need to have your knees to your chest! Hard work pays off, advancement opportunities for those willing to put in the time. If you scratch backs when needed yours will be too!
Pros
Opportunities to grow
Cons
Hours can be lengthy, weekends
standing all day hard low pay work
Combo Clerk/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Menifee, CAJanuary 22, 2019
bad work eviroment staning all day and have to do work with not enugh time or help. the workers try but magment wants to much stuff done without giving the hours or manpower to do it.
Unproductive Work environment
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2019
Management here was not the best, as it changed multiple times while I was employed there and everyone of them had their own style. Quite easy to advance in the workplace though.