Raymour & Flanigan Employee Reviews

Good company to get entry level operator experience
Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Suffern, NYOctober 14, 2018
Company offers competitive salary and excellent benefits. They are also extremely safety conscious, having regular meetings between staff and management.
A great company to work with
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, NJOctober 12, 2018
it been always great to work with Raymour & Flanigan, managment and co-workers are a great team, we are all as a family, we enjoy working together as a team.
This company could great. Why don't we take that step?
Home Furnishing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYOctober 11, 2018
A company that can do what no other in the retail furniture industry can do. I sometimes feel that they are afraid or at least reluctant to be great. We have continually done the same promotions and concepts for years. There are many good people working for this company who could make great contributions toward the continued growth of the company. The seem as if they don't want to hear from these people. It is as if they are content with things as they are.
Pros
great commission structure, the structure to do what no other furniture retailer can do
Cons
do not allow the sales force to take ownership of where they work and what they do
I was hire as a Part timer
Store Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Clements Bridge, NJOctober 9, 2018
I was told that and hired as a part time time working, then when a new supervisor took over she wanted me to be casual which means that you would get no hours coming from recently working 30 hrs and now i have hardly 10 hrs.They were looking for a part timer and i had put in my resume that i was looking for steady part time work in which i got hired as.
Pros
it is a good job just starting out
Cons
the hours are not steady.
In the beginning it was fun and fast paced but that was only when the store had opened and was still fairly new
Store Support (Current Employee) –  Rockaway, NJOctober 7, 2018
Slow paced environment that sometimes can spike up for like events and lucky days from the sales team end of it, lack of hours and it isn’t because the store isn’t busy enough that I would understand I’ve spoken with other associates and they don’t have their hours cut they have an abundance of hours.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement, good pay, and occasionally free junk food from events
Cons
Slow lack of hours for store support end, and horrible overpriced insurance
Not bad
Store Support Lead Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2018
not bad of a place to work in. Company is good and respectful. Polocis are good. Working at store support team isnt that bad, but management could be better.
Retail Furniture
Furniture Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 3, 2018
I learned a lot about furniture and its construction, also assisting the customer style their home, It is a very competitive environment.
A typical day at work consisted of follow up calls and setting up for sales.
Full Draws are "Ifcome" not Income!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  NYSeptember 30, 2018
The company's sales approach is badly dated. Wearing a suit & tie 6 days a week is just flat out awful. Customers don't like it either because the suit creates a barrier. The customer is dressed in a relaxed outfit & you have effectively out dressed them. This makes it harder to establish Trust.

The look and feel of the store is also badly outdated. Compared to much more contemporary businesses like Restoration Hardware or cool, indepently owned stores with an emphasis on design & decoration, Raymour & Flanigan stores are built on Chocolate, Taupe & Tan cheaply made furniture being in stock so you can have it in 3 days! This just is not a model that today's customer wants.

They have dropped all the good name brands that used to carry I know they make their own "Bellanest" brand that is just awful-looking & chinsey.

They have literally falling behind modern Trends by 10 or 20 years at least. I don't say this is a sustainable model and it's difficult to close a high percentage of customers who just come in walk around and leave, wishing they could have sat down with a designer and browse some cool more contemporary furniture set up in a way that they want to shop it.

I was a store manager for Raymour and Flanigan for a number of years and I did pretty well but I hated working such long hours year after year and the next couple layers of management depending on the region you're in is often pretty bad.

Associates work on a full draw so that means if they don't get it delivered by Friday they don't get paid. Instead they can get in advance which if they don't cover
  more... it they have to pay it back. Full commission. Any way you want to slice this, full draws create a Cut Throat culture. Raymore has a lot of great philosophies in writing - but think about it. The company is not willing to extend a small guaranteed base salary to truly show they take care of people.

What's worse if you are a manager they adjust your sails budget monthly so in other words if you do very well one month against budget they up the budget. This strategy is designed so that they don't overpay you they want you working extremely hard and motivated but they have designed a system where if by chance you do get paid well for a few weeks they're going to get you back.

The business concept is actually disingenuous both for the hourly sales associate and for the manager.

Time off is another huge issue policies that are in place are designed to completely burn someone out and anyone good ends up working 6 or even 7 days a week because it's really the only way to make as much as possible. Good sales people are Money Motivated and the company has a lot of good sales people working for it.

Instead of helping them achieve a work-life balance and paying a little more Raymour and Flanigan mongers the prophets.

An example of this can be found in the way the company pays. The associate is paid on gross profit margin of the sale. If they have to Discount in order to move the piece then they take the hit not the company. 50% of the sale is the house's. The other 50% is the sales associates to do with what they need to with a Max cap of 5 to 12% discount flexibility. Of course if the customer wants at least 20% off to close the deal then manager is called in and the customer is satisfied.

First of all what piece of furniture has a margin of 50%? None of them do. Mattresses are about 75 to 80% and furniture made in China trust me on this is nowhere near 50% it's much better.

So Raymour and Flanigan protect sthemselves incredibly well as a company ensuring that they can pretty good Prophets the people who suffer are the people who sell the product they grind you up in terms of long working hours and they whack you on margin every single time you make a sale.
Pros
If you like dressing up in a suit this is a job for you, lots of greedy sales Associates to work with, fantastic levels of micromanagement
Cons
Getting paid on 50% gross prophet, mysteriously fluctuating budgets, zero work-life balance, no base salary instead full draw
Official response from Raymour & Flanigan
October 1, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Our vision is to consistently enhance the customer shopping experience, with caring and professional associates. We pride ourselves on world class quality furniture at all price points within our beautiful retail showrooms and new modern Outlets.

Waisting Away
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaSeptember 23, 2018
An easy but dull job. This is where hopes and dreams go to die. You spend your entire day inside, and this new thing most companies are doing; the 30 min lunch ; is bull puckey.....The pressure is so intense all the time. You are expected to control what others do in your store and are held accountable for their actions ............Wow.
Can't wait to start working at McDonald's or somewhere where it won't take me two years to get a 50 cent raise. My advice, only do it till something else comes along...otherwise you will feel your life force bleeding away.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
No real free time. No sunshine. Always under pressure/scrutiny
Management is awful
Customer Care Manager (Current Employee) –  New yorkSeptember 19, 2018
I am a manager myself and can say that the managers above me, and some at my level, just don't care. The managers in my region are very mean spirited and don't follow the guiding principles in what they do, and especially say, to their associates. I would not recommend working here, it is toxic.
Pros
Make great friends, learn to handle conflicts
Cons
Poor management, lunch breaks not given, uneven work-life balance
Official response from Raymour & Flanigan
October 1, 2018

I am sorry you did not have a positive work experience. Our open door allows for associates to reach out to any leader for any reason, at anytime. We would like the opportunity to understand your concerns as a valuable member of the team.

Enter at your own risk
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 19, 2018
The job was ok for a selected few. I saw people come and go. Not a job for people with families or weak hearts Time can change with a call in or with extras thrown onto your truck. Management is ok at times but the manager positions are always filled with non delivery expierence . the deliveries are 7 days a week with no rotation so your stuck. You will loose family friends, money at times and this job changes your personialty. The delivery aspect was great, I've meet some people who had hearts of gold. The best part of the day was seeing the smiles on families faces after you carried half of there house up 6 flights of stairs in downtown and everything was perfect.
Pros
Turns a boy into a man teaches you lifes lessons
Cons
Management, no diversity
Steady Job with advancement opportunities
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJSeptember 12, 2018
Fair pay and steady job. If you're interested in leadership, it's a great company you can work your way up in. Pay is decent but hours don't really give you a healthy work-life balance like they tell you they want you to have.
Good starting job if you can lift a mattress
Store Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Niskayuna, NYSeptember 6, 2018
Overall a job that is what it looks like: moving furniture displays in the store, loading customer pick-ups into vehicles, keeping the store organized
Worst regional ever
Showroom Manager (Former Employee) –  Metro westSeptember 5, 2018
I loved my original regional, but when the new one took over she was jealous and calus. The owners are great the regionals aren't, they know nothing and lead by fear. ZERO work life balance, ZERO encouragement, your staff will come and go you could be the best and still be treated badly. Must be mentally tough as nails for this job and not care about abusive regionals who do nothing.
Pros
Money
Cons
NJ regionals
Had to move back home to Florida.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 4, 2018
Not a whole lot of fairness in the work environment. Employees that have been there for years were only making a couple more cents an hour than the new hires. No justification in that and the new hires were gettng bonuses which veteran workers were not!
advancement is on a hand shake not on talent
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2018
over worked and under paid a true boys club Advancement is on management friends not on talent very hard to advance on the inside
there is no posting of open jobs
Actual honest review from a full time employee- Don't expect to retire from there!
sales (Former Employee) –  Gateway mall, brooklyn, NYAugust 30, 2018
(Heads up: its commission only, you own company money if you don't sell and you will get fired if you don't meet quota few weeks in a row.)

They sold me and everyone else during the job training. Sold me on the culture and ideas of the company. During 2 weeks training they provide breakfast and lunch.
But once you leave into your actual role you find out it 180* on the training. Nothing like it.

In my first few weeks about 3 people were fired for not meeting quota, and one of them was there for 10 years. They have a hiring spot in the store, and that's the same spot two managers ask you to meet them when they wanna let you go.

A lady came in and said "I don't want to deal with him, I want someone black" managers got someone black and laughed it off. (One of the reasons I left) They said "If the customer is buying we cant turn them down, its all about making money here"

Employees fight all the time because they steal each others sales daily. Managers do have favorites.
You hear about how some people make good money and others don't, well what they don't tell you is that those who make good, livable salaries are doing two shifts there all the time and are never home. They come in at 9am and leave at 8-9pm.

You get paid in advance around $19 per hour, but if you don't sell enough to cover that then you end up owing the company money, if you owe more than around $2000 they fire you. ( you don't have to pay back if they fire you) ... yes you can work 50 hours per week and end up owing them money!
You have to sell around $16,000 weekly to earn $800, That's about
  more... your $19 per hour. Most people make that or less, many end up in deficit and hope for a huge week where they can pay it back. (Imagine working and then you end up paying the company)

If you ever see huge sales in the store you honestly are happy but also sad. Happy because more people come in, but sad because any sale the company gives actually comes out from your commission. Yes! The company always keeps their share but take out from you for discounting. And any discount you or the manager gives comes out from your commission. You honestly need to sell around $20,000+ weekly to make $800 ($600 after tax) because some orders get canceled a lot and sometimes you make less or nothing due to big discounting.
The benefits are terrible, you got to pay out of packet about $1800 before they cover anything. Benefits don't kick in til after you're 3 months there.

Note!!: If you want to quit do it right away, do not listed to them and give 2 weeks notice because they will fire you asap because they say since you're leaving you wont work as hard. So just tell them you're leaving end of the day or today is your last day.
(I gave 3 week notice and was told to leave end of the week the nest day, manager there didn't even say good buy or shake my hand, floor manager did tho)

If you need a job for few months only this is a great job! you dont feel sad for leaving, you get paid for 2 weeks training and 4 weeks training on the floor. After that you can do another 4 weeks even if you dont sell anything because you don't have to pay back anything for leaving.

What I liked:

At first I liked everything, but when I learned more and more they only cool thing was not leaving witha bad feeling. Even the close friends you make will steal your sales, they always fight and much drama.

There, you are just a body with a sale quota, if you cant produce you are replaced with another body.

Don't believe me, walk in and ask any sale rep about what I wrote.
I went back to my old job where I made $65,000, the district manager called me back.
I left raymour on good terms, everyone liked me, I bought cookies almost everyday :) Just didnt see a future there.

You definitely cannot expect to retire from them!
Pros
free breakfast and lunch during 2 weeks training.
Cons
racist behavior from customers ok if they are buying, others steal your sales, drama, favoritism from management.
Ok to work for
Assistant manager of Operation (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 29, 2018
Company is good to work for but no time for family, or life balance. Ok benefits, hard to plan with family since schedule changes as they need you . But over all ok.
Fun, rewarding
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Springfield, MAAugust 28, 2018
I would definitely recommend raymour for anyone who is interested in a rewarding sales environment. It is not as cut throat as car sales, but almost as rewarding as car sales is.
A Job
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, NYAugust 26, 2018
The owners do a good job of making sure they are seen. There is definitely a disconnect though with how much work you do and how much you get paid. They just don't have competitive rates for the work that you do. Some of the lower level management also seem to be completely unaware of the culture as well. As long as the budget gets made they hear and see nothing else outside of that.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Raymour & Flanigan. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight