Raytheon

Marlborough, MA22 reviews

Found 22 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,145 reviews
defenseengineercontractgovernmentengineeringmissilemilitaryprogram

9/80 flex work week

Good company. Good benefits. Management is somewhat not very responsive. Big company attitude so it take a forever to get things accomplished. Lack of support In some facilities

Important work, stable company, good executive leadership, good benefits, some stressed managers.

I now work remotely. Some jobs require access to labs, mine does not. Project / Program management is terrible. Program Managers usually sound stressed, impatient, seem more interested in fault finding and assuming the worst rather than helping project managers succeed. Fellow workers are almost universally conscientious, hard workers. A lot of experienced, smart people.This is a tough company to get in to but if you can manage it and like the work, you can make a long run of it.

Raytheon insights

Based on 1,002 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Alex review

Overall a great place to work. Training is good, career advancement competitive, flexibility great, salary good. Overall compensation very competitive. Great social programs,

Very stable job, but no competent processes.

Raython is where you would go for a stable job, in fact I would not currently be applying for a job save for my fiance being accepted to Carnegie Mellon. However, given that it is both a large company and a Defense Contractor, the large amount of Red Tape hinders morale and a positive work culture. For example, they do not consider managerial aptitude when selecting managers to serve as day-to-day product owners. My manager once said to me that she did not want the current job she has. They place people based on their perceived need, not based on the strengths a person has. In addition, the guidelines they have for proprietary tools are not agreed upon; hence creating a longer ramp up time for new people. This bogs down the managers since the new people frequently have to go to them, since the guidelines and wikis available are either outdated or contested amongst the subject matter experts. The work is not hard per se, but the lack of competent processes stifles individual growth.

Great Company

Great company to work for but with the upcoming Merger with UTI I feel like a lot of people are on edge because they don’t know what the future brings

Company Stuck In the Dark Ages

Working at Raytheon you will be well compensated well but will also be expected to work 60-70 hours per week for that compensation. At the end of the day you have to decide if the little bit of extra compensation is worth the 60+ weekly hours. The management team is very old school and has failed to adapt/take on new technologies causing frustration among the younger workers. There is constant turnover among young employees because refuses to adapt.

company going down

incompetent management. no decent investment in R&D. no decent training. Legacy intellectual knowledge getting lost in petty financial considerations. Unable to recruit decent talent.

Raytheon

Raytheon is a great place to work. Every one treats you fairly and with respect. I am part of Union and I was welcomed right off the bat. The guys I work with are knowledgeable in their field .

Pros

hours

Cons

it can be slow at times

Raytheon Technical Writer

Working at Raytheon allows for significant independent work. Flexible work schedule and a positive culture. Management recognizes hard working employees and rewards with various achievements.

Good place to work, mediocre management

Good place to work, most of the day is spent behind computer in cube, not very exciting but pay is pretty good and benefits are great, except insurance relatively expensive

Defense Contractor

Raytheon is a large defense contractor. Includes benefits, flexible work schedule, and lots of opportunity to learn. 9/80 work schedule gives every other Friday off, which is very nice.

Typical government contractor

Very structured environment. Extremely different from department to department. Emphasis on documenting. Mostly UNIX and C, little chance to branch out to new things.

Good company

Very good company to work for, but not right out of college. Cut your teeth at another company to fully appreciate all Raytheon has to offer because people believe it is a stressful environment, but if you have worked elsewhere first... it is a good environment.

Great place to work and grow

I recently retired from Raytheon after a productive 33 year career. I worked in One of Raytheon's materials engineering functions for my entire career. I managed a materials engineering group for about three years and then functioned as an individual contributor for the remainder of my career. Raytheon is a wonderful place to work and hard work is rewarded.

Pros

Exposure to cutting edge technology.

Cons

None.

Great People and Technology to Work with

Great people to work with, and really fun technology. Program success was often more dependent on bringing in work (budget), than on producing quality products. As a result, Project Management was generally focused on cost, leaving Engineers to often work 20+ hours of OT to finish their work.Line Management almost never had any clue as to what was going on and were generally only good for assigning "rock fetches" and other low-value tasks.

Pros

Great People and Technology

Cons

Clueless Line Management

Avoid Logistics Engineering

If you are an Electrical or Mechanical Engineer, then Raytheon is a great place to work. Other professions, however, will find their way to promotion blocked by political hacks from the military who know little about the jobs they oversee. They talk about treating their employees well, but they promote those that scream, yell, and berate their underlings to achieve goals that are often underbid and have short schedules in order to win projects. There is clearly gender bias wherein women engineers are given preferential treatment.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Good starting pay, but unless you are EE or ME, raises evaporate

Field Service Engineer

A typical work day is traveling to different Army installations and performing whatever maintenance is needed to keep the radar system up and running.

Generally an excellent company to work for,.

The management personnel that I worked with were generally easy to work with and not overly demanding. Easy culture to work within. Friendly and supportive environment

Learning Experience

Working at Raytheon has been a learning experience. Worked in both software and system roles in a variety of projects like Navy, and the FAA. Enjoyed working in team projects and the interaction between Software and System engineers in a program. Learnt how to use a variety of different tools such as DOORS for requirements, VBA for data analysis, and so on. Expanded my knowledge on Radar functionality. Good exposure to air traffic control, traveling to FAA sites to implement our Raytheon product and test it.

Great Place to Begin Career

Great place to begin a career but advancement opportunities tend to be bureaucratic rather than merit based.

Quality Engineer

Typical work day consist of meetings, reviewing documents and codes. It's a lot of fun if making big ticket software is your thing. Great benefits and lots of opportunity to move around the company.

Pros

benefit, vacation, advancement

Cons

old corporate culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Raytheon. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

4.1Fairygodboss Score

70%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

78%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Raytheon with

Learn about Raytheon in Marlborough, MA

• Raytheon
  • Marlborough, MA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?