Raytheon

Working at Raytheon in McKinney, TX: Employee Reviews

McKinney, TX179 reviews

Found 179 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,145 reviews
defenseengineercontractgovernmentengineeringmissilemilitaryprogram

A large company that just got bigger

Raytheon just merged with another large company United Technologies. The new company has a lot of movement as they try to organize the two separate buisnesses and cultures into one competative company. I feel like their is a lot of opertunities to grow within the company if you work hard and are successful in your initial role.

Great and talented group. Everybody helps each other get the job done.

I was brought in for a 6 month contract as a Senior PCB Designer. The PCB layout group I worked with were some of the most talented and knowledgeable people I have ever worked with. Everybody was helpful and took the time to show me the way the Xpedition layout tool was set up to the Raytheon environment. A very enjoyable 6 month contract. I would not hesitate to take another contract in the future. Management came up thru the PCB layout environment and knew what we needed to get the job done.

Pros

Exciting products

Cons

Sometimes to much red tape

Raytheon insights

Based on 1,002 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Worsening culture

After being with the company for over twenty years it is time to move on. I’ve had so much fun working here but the culture is horrible. Massive discrimination from the top. Hostile work environment. I cannot recommend that anyone work here.

Pros

interesting projects

Cons

Discrimination. Declining benefits. Hostile work environment.

Good pay but toxic culture

RTX has good pay and benefits overall. This includes both annual and performance bonuses. PTO is just ok and is used for both vacation and sick time. There is also mod time, or comp time, for exempt employees, which means you work extra to get use the OT as time off, but you can only use it within 2 weeks. The culture at RTX was just ok before COVID. Post-COVID, the culture is toxic. There is no more "work day" because most people spend the entire day in meetings. Since halway and desk conversations don't happen with work-from-home, you have to call someone to talk. But likely they are in a meeting, so you have to schedule one with them... And the issue compounds. That means that to get "real" work done, most people have to do it in evening or night time, destroying any work/life balance. In addition, expectations seem to be higher.The company's initial COVID response was very good. Employees were given what they needed to work from home and unlimited comp/mod time. However the culture shift was immediate in that the work day seemed to never end. The vast majority did not use their built up mod time or PTO. Now, RTX was one of the first public companies to require employees to get a vax as a condition of employment, to "comply with the president's executive order." Accordingly, employees are required to disclose vax status. Anyone who does not comply with either of these mandates is administratively terminated. In other words, the company does not care about the employees as prople, they care about keeping their government contracts and the bottom line.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Work/life balance, long hours, Vax mandates

Decent pay, Easy work

Pay is reasonable for the amount of work you need to do here. If you want to learn more just ask to be trained or take training classes to get necessary qualifications. Flexible schedule able to use PTO anytime. 401k is good

Pros

401k, Flexibility, EASY work

Cons

Seniority based for job upgrades regardless if another operator is more qualified

Going downhill

over the last few years, the company has grown and merged with other companies, and the company culture has suffered. They are focusing more and more on HR and software hires. If that's your thing, then i guess it's a great place tom work. If you're on the hardware side just be warned, you'll be understaffed, underfunded, and usually pressed to meet last minute deadlines.

Pros

pays was fair

Cons

company culture and management

Plenty of work but benefits and recognition could be much better

Raytheon has plenty of work and they will pretty much hire anyone. If you meet your goals and are productive, you pretty much have job security. The work is not always state of the art and you can find yourself doing some grunt work but, in my opinion, I think you get paid pretty good for what you do. Recognition and performance based bonuses is a bit lacking and benefits could be better. They just recently merged with United Technologies so things are a bit up in the air with policies.

Pros

Job security, competitive pay

Cons

Benefits could be better, work can be demanding

Reputable company that builds amazing products.

Raytheon is a great company that offers challenging work. There are plenty of opportunities to move around, although they can be difficult to obtain even if you are qualified. Pay and benefits are great. There are several employee resource groups that can help with assimilating into the culture and dealing with personal issues at home. Work can be overwhelming and frustrating. The work environment is constantly changing due to the line of work.

Pros

401k match, benefits, pay, flexibility, ability to work from home sometimes, reputable company, plenty of work to be done, many different programs to work on that all offer unique challenges

Cons

Too much organizational restructuring, hierarchy is confusing, bonuses are small, promotions are hard to obtain, management takes too long to replace employees that leave, employees can be overworked and stressed, too many programs competing for the same resources, sometimes management has unrealistic expectations

New post merger senior management not loyal to employees

Most senior management was replaced as result of the merger with United Technologies. New management not familiar with job tasks or appreciative of what the workers or their management were doing. Under tremendous cost pressure to meet promises to Wall Street so cutting indirect heads to meet profit goals.

Pros

Interesting work.

Cons

Little job security for indirect workers post merger.

Good place to work with challenges. New learning opportunity. Management supported online learning. Safe place to work. Easy for Transfer from state to state with moving expenses.

Good

Excellent place to work. My salary is confidential. Sorry my salary is none of anyone’s business. I can’t believe people ask or tell their salary. Your talent and experience is evaluated to the job requirements. Know your worth, do your do diligence. Then negotiate your worth. Your salary is private, unless you want to alienate others. Thank you!

Pros

All Pro’s

Cons

No Con’s

Absolutely no feedback

Submitted several completed assignments and asked for feedback. Never got any. Was told i 'ask too many questions'. Dimly lit cube-farm work area. No windows. Blatant age discrimination. Inflexible management.

Pros

ya got me...

Cons

see above

Great Company

Great company to work for. Entered at unfortunate timing where a merger was taking place and position was affected. Would recommend to others who are interested in the company.

Good

Good salary irregular work hours always on call. You work 7 days a week. The IBM co tractors are not Experienced enough to work on EMC equipment. The work life balance is horriable.

Great company

Great company, bad culture. A lot of favoritism. However the company is big enough for you to grow if you want. Job/life balance is not the best if you have a family.

Interesting work

Typical big corporation that does government work, but pay is above average and the benefits are excellent. Very interesting programs to work on from an engineering perspective.

Great Company

Great Company enjoy working for the company. People and culture are okay. Great work schedule and people are great and understanding when childcare needs come up

Great company to work for with excellent benefits

Raytheon is a excellent company to work for with great benefits. The pay is very competitive and the people are great to work with. I would recommend Raytheon to anyone in search of a great job.

Employees are extremely friendly, however the culture I had to get used to

Everyone is very friendly, humble, and supportive of each other. The company culture, at least at this job, is very mature even for me. Everyone seems ultra stable, but I think this is a part of working in the defense industry. It can be a bit boring and slow with innovation, but the job is extremely secure and the benefits are second to none. A typical day at work involves quite a bit of beauracracy, waiting, and paperwork, and that leads to a very low amount of daily stress. I find this true for most job titles in this company. The velocity is not a high as you would find in the commercial sector, so this is a great company for those who want to lead a quiet life.

Pros

Good food, great benefits, decent compensation, greatest people you will ever work with

Cons

A lot of waiting, lacking in innovation

It's a family oriented company

Lots of favoritism, everyone made me feel like I was walking on egg shells there. Many employees who have been there for many many years I thought be more than welcomed to help you learned an easy productive way to get production out without errors. Well I was absolutly wrong about that. Instead they were very aggressive, touchy with there items that belonged to the company, gossiping, favoritism, supervisors cover for their favorite employees, allow employees to walk all over supervisors and managers. The one thing I can i did enjoy was actually being able to do something that I truly love to do regardless of all the mess. But wasn't and isn't good to have all that going on while dealing with million dollar products. I tried to personally go to the supervisor myself because I was being harrassed, bullied, injured, and when I mentioned to the supervisor what was going on I was pushed out and wasn't able to fulfill my dream job and i was a very good employee. I had the CEO of IDS come from massetuchets to give me an Quality Control Assurance Coin because I saved 500+ CCA boards from being produced with an malfunctioned component that was sent by the manufactured itself in that condition.

What you'd expect in a defense contractor

Raytheon's an atypical defense contractor. They follow the rules and guidelines, stress accuracy and innovation. I work on classified material. They are growing.

Pros

challenging

Cons

sometimes long hours to meet deadlines

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Raytheon. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

4.1Fairygodboss Score

70%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

78%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss