RDO Equipment Co. Employee Reviews

Great Core Values, if they're followed
Manager (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAApril 5, 2019
When looking from the outside, RDO says all the right to get someone on board with their company. They pay competitively, there's always work, great benefits, etc. You feel like its the right place to go. Once you get through the honeymoon phase, you start to see that the core values they promote (and literally post in every store) are merely to save face because the values don't mean anything to the management. When I first started at RDO that wasn't the case. As you go through your career there, more and more workload will get added to your plate because of a lack in ability with other employees. If you struggle with your "new" workload, expect to be questioned on why things are not getting done, even though you put in 10-12hrs daily. There's no recognition for those few people in middle management who try to make things better. Decisions that are made by management don't involve any input from the people that are directly impacted. The day-to-day understanding stops at the local branch. It often feels like decisions are made out of desperation rather than through critical thinking. The longest structure I had was about a year. With things going right (at least we all thought they were), management decided to switch up the whole structure only to have everything seem like it was falling apart and dysfunctional. This resulted in a restructure or reshuffle of personnel every month it seemed. I don't know if it ever got sorted out after I left.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Lack of communication, lack of good management, overworked, underappreciated
Good
SERVICE ADVISOR/ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Ada, MNApril 4, 2019
Loved working there. Wish I could go back. They are a great company to work for. Quarterly reviews to get incentive bonuses. Like I said loved it. Management is great also. Wishing I wouldn't have had to leave.
Pros
People
Cons
People
Best job I ever had.
Service Advisor, Technician Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakeside, CAJanuary 3, 2019
This company was the best place I ever worked. Management was very approachable, the team atmosphere was phenomenal. Very positive energy in the workplace. They had constant opportunity to continue education.
Pros
Atmosphere, teamwork
Good location
Mechanic Tech II (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTDecember 20, 2018
Quiet location. It's cold washing equipment outside in the winter. If you are sick they try and make you use paid time off which limits how much time you get for family time/ vacations.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Limited unpaid time off
I loved working for RDO!
Warehouse Specialist/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDDecember 5, 2018
I honestly do not have anything bad to say about this company, I am sad that I had to moved out of state and leave this employer and I miss being there everyday!
Being a truck driver without the traveling between states
Non CDL Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Park Rapids, MNDecember 3, 2018
Go to work early in the morning at around 5am, go to the truck yard, maintain the truck check your harvest location and then proceed there. You will end up probably sitting around a lot, either because changing fields or waiting for a tractor to open up.

Like to be lazy? this is for you
Like to be active and have a life? not for you
Pros
easy money
Cons
operate with no sleep
Good management
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDDecember 1, 2018
Overall a good work culture with good work life balance. Management was overall good just a lot of turn over. Work truck, cell phone, and laptop included.
Would not recommend
Parts specialist (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CADecember 1, 2018
I enjoyed working for Rdo at first. They made a lot of promises and really build you up, but after a few months, they will give you more and more work and responsibility that are not in your job description. The job is high stress and management doesn’t help. Management was barely older than I was and did not know what they were doing and how to treat people. They are always understaffed because either A. People can’t handle the stress because of overwork, or B. People realize they are grossly underpaid for what they are expected to do. Management was the laziest I have ever worked for, and they didn’t care about how much work they put on you. Very high turn over at Rdo. One time, management asked me if I had any friends looking for jobs so they could potentially hire and fill open positions. I knew none of my friends or other people I knew would want to work so hard for the pay rdo offered, so I lied and said no. I didn’t stay long. Most people don’t. That was my experience at the Watsonville location, and I heard it wasn’t much different at the Salinas location. Oh, and breaks were highly frowned upon by management.
Pros
Health insurance.
Cons
Everything but insurance
decent place to work for most part
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP/ PARTS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 16, 2018
for most part a good place to work. decent benefits and wages. great working hours with no weekends. great customer base to work with. great quality of machines available for purchase.
Pros
pay
Cons
management
Work three times as hard to get advancement as others
OFFICE AND SERVICE ADMINISTRATOR/MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Indio, CAOctober 4, 2018
Recent manager is more of a yard coordinator and doesn't even do a good job at that. He says inappropriate comments, does not have a grip on the business. My friends there were the best part of my day. I will miss them.
Promises not kept
Account Manager/New Business Development (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXSeptember 25, 2018
Management constantly in meetings and you cannot complete a transaction without them. Promise you the world and deliver an empty bag. decent training .
Pros
Company vehicle, expense card, benefits
Cons
broken promises, management unavailable
Best company I’ve worked for
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 6, 2018
I love working at RDO. The company is awesome with competitive pay and great benefits. They definitely take care of their employees! I’ve heard the founder of the company, Ron Offutt, is a very nice and personable man and it’s always nice to work for good people.
Horrible place to work
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Indio, CAAugust 1, 2018
Management is horrible, service write didn’t know anything about repairs, only went based off of job codes which they would screw you over in time. Trying to hit their expectations in the shop was impossible. You’re paid time off is also your sick days. You accumulate only 8 hours a month of paid time off. Pay was no more than what an automotive technician gets paid. I would stay far away from this company.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
No breaks, extremely stressful job
Where to start
Parts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 30, 2018
Absolutely horrible management in Fort Worth texas especially parts. Service management is great. The parts manager and head parts. Man plays favorites. They drag moral down horribly.
Pros
Service management
Cons
Store and parts manager.
Great place to work with great benefits
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXJuly 23, 2018
RDO is a great career choice with a wonderful culture. It is a company where employees stay for a long time, some 50 plus years. I enjoyed working there and especially the people.
Pros
Great pay and benefits.
Cons
Too much reporting, lots of stress
I am thankful to be a part of such a great group. Truly awesome company
Rental Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Hewitt, TXJuly 15, 2018
I love the culture at RDO. The company has been very good to me and shown they care about my life and family. They offer awesome benefits as well as holiday pay and sick leave. The health insurance is a very good benefit and the 491K is managed very well. I enjoy working with local management as they are all easy to talk to and more than fair. I also appreciate the coaching style as I’ve learned a lot from their guidance.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Difficulty negotiating deals
Cool place to work
Technician Level 1 (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 14, 2018
Had alot of fun. New company and equipment. Learned alot of new things. Had good management. You took test and training to level up for John Deere. Company paid training.
Teamwork
Equipment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJune 7, 2018
RDO Equipment is a great place to work. You are valued as a team member and employee recognition is great! Pay and benefits were exceptional. A great place to be!
Bad place to work
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 5, 2018
Management or supervisors don’t know you name no matter how long you have worked there. Always held back by supervisor never allowed to prove yourself. No work had to stay on work order and wast time on it cause management didn’t have work lined up and will spend a lot of time training.
Pros
It a temp job
Cons
None available
Rdo
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 24, 2018
RDO is a good company to work for. Sometimes long hours and end of month craziness gets old. People were nice and upper management were easy to talk and deal with. Overall a good company to work for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RDO Equipment Co.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight