Reading Partners Employee Reviews

It was good
Tutor (Former Employee) –  730 Bryant AveMarch 5, 2019
I say it was good because your just 1on 1 with a child and it’s easier for them to learn because your just helping out the students with there full attention so they can understand the subject more
Fun if you love kids!
Tutor/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 11, 2019
I was there for volunteer after school. I was paired with a fourth grade student to tutor but sometimes I would get other students. My manager was easy to talk to, answered all questions and easy to contact. If you can't handle kids or if you have little patience, don't do it. You make a real connection with the kids you work with. At the end of my program I got a little goodbye treat from my partner (student).
Pros
Connections, See improvement in the children
Relaxed Pace
Volunteer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAFebruary 3, 2019
Great volunteer based program for underserved communities. You meet the sweetest children and you make the biggest impact by helping children develop their reading skills. As a volunteer you are required to attend an orientation and fill out paperwork. The orientation was very informational and gave an overview about what ReadingPartners is all about. You are also required to take a TB test before you start working. Make sure to come 10 minutes early to settle down and be prepared to work! Be patient with children and ask thoughtful questions. There is a guide sheet for volunteers to follow and wonderful staff to help oversee your work if you are confused.
Urban Education Internship
Student Volunteer Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 31, 2019
Dedicated staff, focused mission. Couldn't ask for more !

I volunteered during my last semester of University - wouldn't have done anything different
rewarding
Tutor/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 14, 2019
I was a volunteer at Reading Partners I found it rewarding to assist children who struggled with reading and comprehension issues. The children were inner city learners from low income families who could not afford a private tutor. It was a pleasure to help and guide those children as most of them were eager to learn. They were in a classroom with thirty plus children and one teacher this service facilitated that by offering a one on one instructional service.
Pros
helping children
Cons
Exciting experience working with children
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJanuary 8, 2019
Kids in Reading Partners program are underprivileged ones whose parents are immigrants and often work two or three jobs; therefore, they hardly get good education from home. The job gives people a wonderful chance to give back to the community by providing them the extra help they need.
Productive and fun
Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 5, 2019
Management is really nice and works with you and your schedule.

The hardest part is getting and keeping the child's attention long enough to do a lesson.
A pretty great place to work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 20, 2018
There was a great deal of turnover both regionally and nationally during my time with this organization. It was a job and a mission that I really loved. There were bumps and hiccups along the way, and the organization doesn't do a great job overall of retaining talent and promoting from within, except in the national office. It's definitely work for mission-focused people as the job can get really crazy sometimes.
Pros
great mission
Cons
communication with upper management could be spotty
good experience
Elementary Educator/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDNovember 15, 2018
Awesome interactions with kids. It was fun to spend time with the kids, reading with them and helping them read. The kids show a lot of interest in active reading and learning.
Great!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lawndale, CANovember 3, 2018
It was a great job. It was a federal work-study position for myself, so it worked really great with my class schedule. My supervisor was really nice and understanding. As a tutor, I had the opportunity to work with young elementary school kids and they were really sweet. You mostly read to them and then followed a structured teaching plan to help the students during the tutoring session developing reading skills. The sessions were 45 minutes long, so If I tutored 2 or 3 kids I would have worked for about 3 hours or so.
Gaining lots of experience
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2018
I gained a lot of experience and Reading Partners but the pay was low and the staff and favoritism are obvious with the staff and the corp members. Also, the workload is very high at times
Pros
Gaining experience and tools, working with children
Cons
low pay and high workload
Volunteer Basis
READING TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 21, 2018
I volunteered with this company and they were really great to work with. The head of the program was very nice and very accommodating with your schedule. It's a great program to be a part of!
Wonderful experience
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 5, 2018
A truly wonderful and eye-opening experience. It wonderful to be a part of an AmeriCorps literacy program and working directly with kids. The mission of the organization is instilled in every person who works and volunteers for the organization.
Great organization doing meaningful work
Volunteer Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 29, 2018
A typical day volunteering includes one-on-one reading lessons with children in need of extra help in order to read at their level. There are great center managers as well as dedicated AmeriCorp volunteers that donate their time.
An opportunity to serve one's community
LITERACY LEAD (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 13, 2018
Above all, the job allowed its employees to have a positive impact on the community. Additionally, the trainings and hands-on experience presented ample opportunities for professional development.
Good experience
English reading writing tutor volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 4, 2018
I didn't get paid to work at Reading Partners. I volunteered in between school days. It was good experience to learn how to teach more effectively. Reading Partners is a good place to get one's feet wet and get people more used to teaching younger students.
Reading Partners
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CAAugust 14, 2018
As a volunteer for reading partners, it was a very fun and interactive experience in which the fundamental skills were appreciable in knowing whether I'd wanted to pursue teaching as a life long career or not. The site manager was very helpful and empowering on how I could improve my guidance.
Pros
Fun and interactive learning environment
Cons
No cons
Fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2018
I was only a volunteer for a semester. I do not have much to say besides it was a relaxed place to volunteer. Flexible hours, no uniform. it was a good experience
Amazing workplace and went perfectly with my major.
Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  Arvada, COJuly 1, 2018
It was so good to work with kids and watch them grow. It also helped perfectly with my major and it pushed me towards knowing I want to work with kids and become a teacher.
good job to have
LITERACY LEAD (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 29, 2018
good job to have if your are willing to put in the work. very fun at times but also very stressful too. learned a lot from this place, management tries their best

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Reading Partners. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Ratings from women

3.9InHerSight Score

3.9Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight