Reading Partners Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2018
I was only a volunteer for a semester. I do not have much to say besides it was a relaxed place to volunteer. Flexible hours, no uniform. it was a good experience
Amazing workplace and went perfectly with my major.
Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  Arvada, COJuly 1, 2018
It was so good to work with kids and watch them grow. It also helped perfectly with my major and it pushed me towards knowing I want to work with kids and become a teacher.
good job to have
LITERACY LEAD (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 29, 2018
good job to have if your are willing to put in the work. very fun at times but also very stressful too. learned a lot from this place, management tries their best
very fun
Tutor/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Queens Village, NYJune 28, 2018
Reading partners helped gain experience of what it is like to work with children in a classroom environment. It is fun and amusing to watch students improve their reading and comprehension skills.
Pros
Fun place to volunteer
Beneficial
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 28, 2018
The volunteer was a great lesson to me. It helped me to improve my communication skills and work better with people. It also helped me to be more comfortable working with others.
Meaningful and rewarding role
AmeriCorps Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJune 14, 2018
Great management structure, feel supported and making a difference. AmeriCorps stipend is tough but it's temporary. Good for a first job out of college.
I was a volunteer
Reader (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 13, 2018
I was a volunteer and it was fun working and reading with kids. You would get snacks sometimes too. Like some carrots or crackers. It was very rewarding.
Pros
Snacks
Small scale non Profit
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 1, 2018
Highly data based. No more than 50 employees but extensive volunteer network. High stress environment but with lax deadlines. Enjoyment is often dependent on interpersonal skills and time management.
Pros
Salary pay
Cons
Little or no scheduled breaks
best place ever
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 18, 2018
i love reading partners! they're supportive, kind, engaged, passionate, and CARE about their students! they truly make a difference and impact the lives of children
Great
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 1, 2018
I really loved it over there working with kids had me me feel good n more patient idk it was so cool to teach kids how to read , write , or spell.............
Reading tutor
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 30, 2018
In one session:
Child selects book
Tutor reads book aloud/ isolate vocablulalry
Review vocabulary as assigned.
Tutor selects book from from scheduled files
Child reads to tutor/isolates vocabulary
Child and student discuss story
Child fills out worksheet with support.
Productive and fast-paced environment with strong need for patience and dedication to young children.
Literacy Lead (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 28, 2018
You learn a lot by working with Reading Partners, especially about yourself. The hardest part of the job is finding the patience to continue doing what you do, repeating lessons with students over, and focusing extensively on one area of a lesson in order to really get the student to understand what it being taught. Aside from that, working with students can be more rewarding than one would expect.
Fun place with kids
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 25, 2018
Reading partners is an amazing organization. Although, it is volunteer work going into reading partners is always rewarding. You get to work with wonderful kids who are always grateful to see you
Disorganized, but a fun environment
Reading Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 14, 2018
I really liked everyone that I worked with, and although I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone I do think it provided me with a good foundation and background of what I would like to do in the future.
Great professional development and growth opportunity while working in a school setting.
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAFebruary 13, 2018
Great work culture, full of positive and growth mindset orientated people who are never afraid of a challenge. The focus is completely for the benefit of our students and community.
A passionate , compassionate experience
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 12, 2018
A typical day at work would be coming in to the classroom , and speaking with my boss how would she like me to bring upon different tasks to the child. I would also ask for sheets or other documents to help a child out in whatever area they lack most in. I would pick up the child from classes and return them, seeing mostly about three children throughout the day. A compassionate internship experience because patience was important and juggling with time management , every child is different in their tasks. Some finish faster then others. I was able to converse with some admirable teachers and be notified in other distractions he or she might have in class, that I in some way can help them through it. Using some personal childhood circumstances I was able to relate and use better techniques to reach the child's mind.
Pros
Laugh and learn one or more things about each child
Cons
Each kid moves at a different pace, time phase for them
volunteer
Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Pablo, CAJanuary 14, 2018
It is a volunteer job. If you like to help kids then that is what it is. Or it is work study from college. Either way it is not a career path. Just something to get you by.
Over the top
Literacy Lead (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 8, 2018
Required too much for not enough money. long hours, unrealstic goals at times. Staff development training were long and drawn out, some times felt pointless. Meetings every Friday was pointless especially because you ll have a check in at some point during the same week.
Unpleasant work environment
Revenue Accountant/Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 7, 2018
Constant personnel turnover. Poor management. No room for growth. Long hours of work. Very stressful work atmosphere. No sense of direction where the agency is heading into.
Pros
Cons
See above
A learning and growing environment
Reading Tutor (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 1, 2017
Teaching children I was not only learning from them but they were learning from me. It is important to set a good example for young children and I enjoyed being that role model. It was sometimes stressful to deal with misbehaved children but it was a great learning experience.
Pros
Good work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Reading Partners. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.8InHerSight Score

3.9Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight