Reading Partners Employee Reviews

good experience
Elementary Educator/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDNovember 15, 2018
Awesome interactions with kids. It was fun to spend time with the kids, reading with them and helping them read. The kids show a lot of interest in active reading and learning.
Great!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lawndale, CANovember 3, 2018
It was a great job. It was a federal work-study position for myself, so it worked really great with my class schedule. My supervisor was really nice and understanding. As a tutor, I had the opportunity to work with young elementary school kids and they were really sweet. You mostly read to them and then followed a structured teaching plan to help the students during the tutoring session developing reading skills. The sessions were 45 minutes long, so If I tutored 2 or 3 kids I would have worked for about 3 hours or so.
Gaining lots of experience
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2018
I gained a lot of experience and Reading Partners but the pay was low and the staff and favoritism are obvious with the staff and the corp members. Also, the workload is very high at times
Pros
Gaining experience and tools, working with children
Cons
low pay and high workload
Volunteer Basis
READING TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 21, 2018
I volunteered with this company and they were really great to work with. The head of the program was very nice and very accommodating with your schedule. It's a great program to be a part of!
Wonderful experience
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 5, 2018
A truly wonderful and eye-opening experience. It wonderful to be a part of an AmeriCorps literacy program and working directly with kids. The mission of the organization is instilled in every person who works and volunteers for the organization.
Great organization doing meaningful work
Volunteer Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 29, 2018
A typical day volunteering includes one-on-one reading lessons with children in need of extra help in order to read at their level. There are great center managers as well as dedicated AmeriCorp volunteers that donate their time.
An opportunity to serve one's community
LITERACY LEAD (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 13, 2018
Above all, the job allowed its employees to have a positive impact on the community. Additionally, the trainings and hands-on experience presented ample opportunities for professional development.
Good experience
English reading writing tutor volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 4, 2018
I didn't get paid to work at Reading Partners. I volunteered in between school days. It was good experience to learn how to teach more effectively. Reading Partners is a good place to get one's feet wet and get people more used to teaching younger students.
Reading Partners
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CAAugust 14, 2018
As a volunteer for reading partners, it was a very fun and interactive experience in which the fundamental skills were appreciable in knowing whether I'd wanted to pursue teaching as a life long career or not. The site manager was very helpful and empowering on how I could improve my guidance.
Pros
Fun and interactive learning environment
Cons
No cons
Fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2018
I was only a volunteer for a semester. I do not have much to say besides it was a relaxed place to volunteer. Flexible hours, no uniform. it was a good experience
Amazing workplace and went perfectly with my major.
Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  Arvada, COJuly 1, 2018
It was so good to work with kids and watch them grow. It also helped perfectly with my major and it pushed me towards knowing I want to work with kids and become a teacher.
good job to have
LITERACY LEAD (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 29, 2018
good job to have if your are willing to put in the work. very fun at times but also very stressful too. learned a lot from this place, management tries their best
very fun
Tutor/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Queens Village, NYJune 28, 2018
Reading partners helped gain experience of what it is like to work with children in a classroom environment. It is fun and amusing to watch students improve their reading and comprehension skills.
Pros
Fun place to volunteer
Beneficial
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 28, 2018
The volunteer was a great lesson to me. It helped me to improve my communication skills and work better with people. It also helped me to be more comfortable working with others.
Meaningful and rewarding role
AmeriCorps Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJune 14, 2018
Great management structure, feel supported and making a difference. AmeriCorps stipend is tough but it's temporary. Good for a first job out of college.
I was a volunteer
Reader (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 13, 2018
I was a volunteer and it was fun working and reading with kids. You would get snacks sometimes too. Like some carrots or crackers. It was very rewarding.
Pros
Snacks
Small scale non Profit
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 1, 2018
Highly data based. No more than 50 employees but extensive volunteer network. High stress environment but with lax deadlines. Enjoyment is often dependent on interpersonal skills and time management.
Pros
Salary pay
Cons
Little or no scheduled breaks
Welcoming job atmosphere
Literacy Intervention Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 23, 2018
Reading Partners is an excellent organization aiming to improve literacy in children that need extra support. The pay is minimum wage and temporary however it could be great for college students that want a taste of working in a public school setting. Management is friendly and organized, supporting you with any problems you may encounter in tutoring the kiddos. It is a fulfilling position because you have that sense of shaping a young mind and making the world a better place.
Pros
gain work experience in a public school setting
Cons
minimum wage
best place ever
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 18, 2018
i love reading partners! they're supportive, kind, engaged, passionate, and CARE about their students! they truly make a difference and impact the lives of children
Great
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 1, 2018
I really loved it over there working with kids had me me feel good n more patient idk it was so cool to teach kids how to read , write , or spell.............

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Reading Partners. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.8InHerSight Score

3.9Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight