Recology Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very good environment
Sr. IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 15, 2018
Company is growing so there are a lot of opportunity in all areas. Management is very supportive of giving different opportunities and let people grow
easy
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edison, CAJuly 2, 2018
it was layed back easy learned how the process worked at at a landfield management was great easy to get along with just do your job hardest part of the job was covering the trash with tarps at the end of the day enjoyable part of day for me was spotting and directing traffic
Great Company
Recruiter- Contract (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJune 30, 2018
Recology is a great company to work for. I was pleasantly surprised of the environmental waste business. Recology showed me how its big business and is employee owned which is rare in corp. America.
Freedom but intense
Garbage Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJune 30, 2018
Overall a great company to work for. Dealing with bad drivers and irate customers are the only problem with the job. The constantly awareness for hazards in the environment could be quite stressful.
Pros
As long as you finish your route you can go home. Doesn’t matter if you finish in 1 hour or 8 hours.
Cons
Dealing with bad drivers
Not very productive
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CAJune 5, 2018
At the location I was at, there weren't much to do. It was slow most of the time.It took awhile for them to turn the machine on for the conveyer belt that sorts out the garbage so we were picking things out individually on the ground. Felt discriminated while working there and supervisor didn't seem to care about my well being as an employee when problems or difficult situations arise.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor management depending on location
Not the worst job...
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORMay 23, 2018
Extremely stressful. Strong favoritism from management so advancement can be difficult. Very hard to access resources when information or support is needed, management generally leaves by 3 daily. Pay is fair enough, benefits are good. Some fantastic coworkers. Little to no flexibility in scheduling.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful work enviroment
Very productive
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Marysville, CAMay 20, 2018
Overall it was a good experience joining the recology crew and learning new skills have really help me come further in my work experience. I would recommend anyone to this career.
Great!
Human Resources Manager - Oregon Companies (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 2, 2018
Great place to work! Great employees and managers. Everyone cares about each other. Lots of potential to learn and grow within the company. Recommend!
N/a
Sorter/Packer (Former Employee) –  Sun Valley, CAMarch 21, 2018
Working at the recyclable company on your very first week may take some time to get used to due to the fact of the smell. We keep the area very organized & neat as well. Also we make sure that the items are placed to their correct bens once pulled off of the conveyor belt.
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 20, 2018
Great place to work.. Very consistent about staff being on time. Employee owned which is great. Great benefits. Cool place to work and management was great.
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
Micro managed
recology
Fork lift / picker (Former Employee) –  San Carlos, CAJanuary 18, 2018
recology was great job work there for three years it was on of my first jobs it was a union job every good benifits working for them if i had the opppertity i would work there again
Hard work
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Vallejo, CADecember 14, 2017
We work very long hrs everyday!!!! Everyone is complaining about the routes are to long, Management needs to train more workers on different trucks,and routes.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Need to hire more workers
Great place to work for friendly employees
IT contractor RobertHalf Technology (Former Employee) –  Auburn, CA 95602November 26, 2017
Received excellent help directing me to what needed to be repair and setup. Dell Thin Clients. Working with competent employees is a great experience everyday.
Pros
Employees
management
Residential Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Pacifica, CANovember 21, 2017
Everything I learned during my time working here was because of myself and my hard work. The management here needs a huge change because as someone who had little experience coming into this job, I had no help whatsoever. How are you supposed to learn when you are behind the truck having no communication with anyone about anything that is happening.
The first year was a year of learning new things with the building and polishing of my skills.
Corporate Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 26, 2017
Life at Recology was as a rule predicable, challenging and a good place to sharpen your skills in Microsoft Office as well as a wide range of overall corporate office responsibilities, and certain protocols for conference and Board of Director meetings.

The initial management I was under was where most of my growth occurred as I was thankful to have had a skilled, highly qualified, and seasoned manager who was well trained to work with people and teach skills in order to successfully get whatever job done that needed to be accomplished.
She took the time to get to know you and spent time sharing what she knew and was happy to pass her knowledge on to me. After a year, a new untrained manager became my supervisor and the quality of relationship and management became very problematic. Even with this type of challenge, I was able to push myself to always place my best foot forward by doing all in my power to nourish our relationship and implement my skill sets for the benefits of the company and others.

The workplace culture was one of pleasant camaraderie, helpfulness and hardworking individuals.

The most difficult part of the job was during the second year under a new, under qualified, and unseasoned management.

The most enjoyable part of the job were all the people I came in contact with internally as well as externally, building relationships, and serving others in a variety of corporate level skills. The work which my position encompassed was varied and highly enjoyed.
Pros
Employee owned company, beautiful office environment, many benefits, opportunities to learn new skills and good people
Cons
Lack of good personable and skilled managers
Humble and Helpful Team Effort!
Environmental Compliance Intern (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CASeptember 4, 2017
All of the employees inside Recology are very nice and humble. Everyone is willing to help out where needed; no matter how high up your position is, the place you are from, nor the task that needs to be completed. The company has a good work-life balance and is understanding if family needs to come first. I would definitely recommend this employee-owned company to others.
Pros
Humble co-workers, site and office work, employee-owned stock, 401 K matching from company, healthcare benefits
Cons
Harder to grow in a position
Stressful and not much help
Lead Customer Service/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oroville, CAApril 20, 2017
This work place was very short handed and there wasn't a lot of training. You usually will have to learn on your own or if you were lucky and had someone like me who take my time to train you, you would love the place. They depend on one person to do everything and that's the part that makes the job hard.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Sometimes I would not have a break due to how busy it was
Great Employees, Changing Culture,
Zero Waste Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 16, 2017
This company has great benefits and is an employee owned company meaning that all employees after being vested have shares of the company stock. The company partners with the City of San Francisco in public policy to help with reaching sustainability goals, which makes it a great place to learn about how to create innovation and public policy that works.

The company needs to learn to develop an internal training program that can help retain employees. They need to understand that employees value professional development and that its not a sustainable solution to constantly hire external candidates for management level position as oppose to developing talent within the company.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly staff
Cons
no job mobility
Very fun and active environment
Supermarket Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sun Valley, CAFebruary 15, 2017
A typical day of work consists of going to the office and greeting everyone, getting some coffee from our fixed machine. The office is pretty quiet from everyone working.
Pros
lots of free lunches
Cons
dull
Talent Acquisition Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 11, 2016
Worked with dedicated teams who believed in company mission and goals.
Management support always available.
Enjoyed working with teams throughout California, Oregon and Washington
Expansion of business
Still has 'small company' feel
Employee Owned
Pros
Great direct supervisor, team support, employee owned

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Recology. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.8InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight