Red Hat Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
just like the 2 bit companies that look at for themselves only
Systems Administrator, Encode (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 15, 2018
Red Hat has fat contracts and making money, lots of it, but in the end is poorly managed just like everyone else. It is too bad that Red Hat is not aware of the damage they are doing to themselves.
Unix, Linux
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK 73112July 14, 2018
Open source, enterprise release, the environment can be locked down, stable, utilization of hardware resources are very well utilized. I have a flavor of open source Linux for my primary OS at home.
Pros
Stable
Cons
Great Company with a relaxed work culture
Business Process Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCJune 28, 2018
Highly dependable and smart employees. A fun place to work at which is very relaxed. Flexibility to work from anywhere as long as the work is done. Very supportive managers and leaders who take an actual interest in your career and the path you want to take professionally.
Pros
Free snacks
Good company
Manager (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 13, 2018
Good place to work as an engineer. Difficult as a manager sometimes to apply discipline. Very associate focused company and corporate culture. Very good benefits
Loved my time at Red Hat
Help Desk Engineer and Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 20, 2018
Great company to work at. Co-workers are all motived to get problems solved as quickly as possible so they don't re-occur. I would definitely love to work there again.
Productive and smart people
Frontline Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 15, 2018
I had some of my qualms there. But all in all it seems like a good place to grow in a startup culture. There are different people who work on different things and you just have to network to find out who are working on your same projects and have your same background.
Pros
Snacks
Cons
Snacks
Awesome Culture and challenging work
Senior IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 10, 2018
I like the culture and open source. The work environment is fast paced and challenging. Lot of opportunities to work in new technology and learning new skills
Productive and fun working place (games and gym)
IT Service Desk Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 24, 2018
Red Hat is a Linux Open Source environment.

You can learn a great deal there if you've never used the Linux operating system.

The people there are very knowledgeable, open to suggestions, informative and inviting.

The culture is not only to work and share experiencing among others, but to also bond with the community and give back.

Some days can be stressful, however if you're working with the right team, your coworkers will always be available to assist you.

I wished my position, wasn't a contractual one.
I really liked it there.
Good company, best days are behind it (?)
Senior Inside Commercial Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 11, 2018
Positives

Stable at the very top (C-level) Impressive CEO
Very good job security, financial stability, conservative/risk adverse
Excellent benefits
Thought-leadership on some technologies
Pros
Great company
Cons
Mixed mobility; Under-trained management
Excellent
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 4, 2018
Red Hat practices what it preaches as a Free and Open Source Software Company. This is a big plus as you get feedback from folks in other organizations that the company partners with for many of the projects. That gives a much higher level of confidence that the way a problem is being approached is the correct one. It reminds me of the way we approach things in a scientific research environment. You have to meet requirements not only from your company but also from other teams on other companies and organizations.
Cons
Priorities change
Great Place to work with smart people.
Federal Mobile Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 13, 2018
Great company with great vision. Lots going on so things could be confusing at time. Lots of support and education. Lots of very smart folks working on cool problems. Highly recommend.
Global Alliance Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 13, 2018
Freedom to grow your career, open to new ideas, overall a good place to work. Hardest part of job is trying to influence many different voices and opinions on a common course of action.
Fun, Chaotic
N/A (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 7, 2018
Depending on your team, Red Hat could either be a dynamic, exciting place to work or a confusing, chaotic one. Red Hat is growing very quickly. It will either take off or crash.
Put on an island
Enterprise Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 7, 2018
My third day in my position my manager was fired for unknown reasons. I was on an island and working without direction but made the best of what was given to me. I did not have a whole lot of support and had to work alone.
Pros
Nice area
Cons
Bad position to be in
Great Company if the role is right
Cloud Specialist (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 6, 2018
Great company overall. Good company to work at if you are in engineering or presales and you have the skills to excel. Very much a meritocracy in those roles.

This is an engineering company first, and a sales/marketing company second.

If you work in sales, marketing, or channel mgmt you may or may not have long term success. Goals are intense, timelines are short, pressure is high. While all those things exist nearly everywhere, there are amplified here.

Overall company culture is engineering focused, and as a result can take a dim view of non-engineering roles. Value of non-engineering roles is often trivialized or scorned.
Pros
successful, growing company. Open Source pioneer. Good product mix, good integrations between products. Youthful, energetic culture.
Cons
Poor or very poor culture can exist if you are not in an engineering-related role.
Good Learning curve and work life balance
Senior Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  INJanuary 19, 2018
Flexible hours, will learn cutting edge technology, have work life balance, good place to grow in career. There will be lot of fun activities which happens every month. Workplace culture is good.
Work was swell
Revenue Accountant (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 4, 2018
As a temp, I enjoyed working with my team and my manager. It was a temporary job but they treated me fairly. The perks are nice and everyone was good to work with.
Was a very good company located close to home.
Net New Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 12, 2017
Corporate made some changes and the company began to suffer.
We were a small office located close to home which made it an attractive job with good pay and benefits!
Pros
Close to home, working with good people
Cons
The changes our corporate office made
N/a
Sales Strategy and Programs Intern (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 17, 2017
Good: company, culture, balance, opportunities, people, industry, time at work, location, coworkers, benefits, growth potential
Bad: management not always the best
Great company to work for!
Lead Campus Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 27, 2017
I enjoyed my time with Red Hat. The culture and perks of working in such a high-tech and progressive atmosphere was a pleasure. The place an emphasis on inclusion and meritocracy which made everyone feel part of the team and welcomed input from everyone.
Pros
Culture, cutting-edge technology, work environment, ability to work remotely.
Cons
May lack direction due to exponential growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Red Hat. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

73out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Red Hat.

Powered by Comparably