Redfin Employee Reviews

The Is the Way a Business SHOULD Be Run
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJMay 22, 2018
Working here is a dream come true. Very high tech. Our office caters lunch three days a week and our kitchen is well stocked with everything you can imagine. The benefits are fabulous and you can tell they really value their employees. I'm lucky to be here.
It's fine while you're looking for something better
Transaction Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2018
The job itself is not difficult. You will mostly upload pdf files and send out canned emails. If you are interested in really learning about real estate, this is not the place to do it. Managment lacks both professional and life experience. While they appear to be working very hard; they do not seem to accomplish very much.
I would only recommend coming to work here if you are interested in becoming a real estate agent and do not already have a client base or need low-cost health insurance.
Pros
low-cost health insurance, technology is pretty cool
Cons
no 401K matching; sick time accrues per days of work, not length of service; little to no advancement opportunity
Fun place to work where you feel valued.
Associate Agent (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 13, 2018
I was very lucky and fortunate to be hired as an Associate Agent at Redfin- a breakout real estate company. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting the nice people in the office and out in the field.
Pros
Valued for what you do
Cons
Waste of your real estate license
Touring Agent / Associate Agent (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 5, 2018
Event scheduling is at the whim of others and the market; no control over the volume of work you get. Events can be taken from you and there is a distinct aire of favoritism regarding scheduling. Seniority plays a role, so new hires who try to do this as full-time job can have hard time making enough income. Your location is not taken into consideration so you will travel miles/hours to get to jobs (with no travel compensation). Communication is minimal; no team atmosphere. Automation fosters laziness and lack of skills; deals often out-maneuvered. Undertrained management.
Pros
Jobs ("events") are handed to you -- there is no lead generation, Lots of processes are online and automatic
Cons
Cut-throat atmosphere of acquiring/holding onto "events" rather than just focusing on the client, Animosity is fostered by the lack of communication and inequitable distribution of events, Financial strain
Cutting Edge and Always Changing
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 28, 2018
You get what you put out. This isn't a 9-5 job. Work days are long and fast-paced. The great thing about this company is all realtor related fees are reimbursed to you. From your MLS dues to your mileage. All signs, flyers, lockboxes or any other office expenses are also reimbursed. The benefits are great. I was able to get my family covered for less than $200 per month. I can only speak from my experience with the company and it has been great. The support and willingness to help have been awesome from management all the way down to my colleges.
Pros
Benifets, Pay
Don’t bother
Lead Agent (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCMarch 21, 2018
After working with Redfin for over 6 years, it has finally come time to move on. The company I was hired to represent when I started isn’t the same anymore. Things have changed so drastically with management, compensation and morale in general. I have been full time with Redfin for a long time and I decided to go to a part time position just until I can find something else. I lost yh benefits and Redfin does offer good benefits but it’s worth it so I can avoid pushing through the stress and ridiculous expectations that we are supposed to have to meet with no reward. Redfin has a great thought process behind the idea but the real work life is not what is advertised
Pros
Free food
Cons
Management. Overwhelming work load. No work life balance
Productive and Fun Place to Work, Great Opportunity to Collaborate and Learn
Data Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAMarch 21, 2018
Redfin was a really great place to work. The management for my team was stellar but unfortunately, our team didn't have a lot of opportunity for growth, was a job security risk since it was so new, and ultimately ended in an unexpected team lay-off. While working at Redfin, I met some awesome people, felt appreciated for the work that I did, and felt like I was headed in the direction of a career building experience with them. If offered another role, I would gladly work at Redfin again but I would express my hesitation with being laid off by them previously/fear of job security as well as being paid higher for what I feel I am worth. I would also work more towards having my voice and concerns heard more often. The team and I also felt that the positions we secured previously should have been able to work remotely as well and that management should consider that as an option for roles like this in the future. There wasn't really a need for us to be in the office outside of our weekly one-on-one meetings with our manager.
Pros
Free lunches, Fully stocked kitchen, Great benefits, Opportunity to meet new people, Discounts, Fun Atmosphere
Cons
Not a lot of growth opportunity, Job Security
No job advancement
Tour Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 13, 2018
glorified secretary
lied to about schedule/hours
low pay
very poor management
zero advancement
free food, but this doesnt make up for the low pay
good benefits
You can make more of an impact being a garbage man!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 16, 2018
Poor Pay, Hungry Managers. Stay away from this company at all cost. Used and abused. Cold calling people that are ready to see a house that they will purchase through another Brokerage. Stood up on many open houses. Not worth the time or energy! There are way better Real Estate Companies in my area!! This company hires #s and you will be one of them till you prove yourself a slave to their managers!!!!
Redfin Mortgage poor management
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 31, 2018
Their mortgage side has the worst management group. Very racist and a Lot of favoritism. You have to be a yes person to make it there. Directors have lack of people skills there is no growth within the company. There are so many unethical procedures that happens there.
Pros
Cons
Horrible managemmen9
Good Place to Learn
Licensed Real Estate Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  MarylandNovember 29, 2017
Good place to learn Real Estate in a fast paced environment. Training is very good and some Sr Agents are very helpful. You can set your own schedule, but most work is weekends and evenings when real estate buyers are searching.
Pros
People, Lunches, Training, Software
Cons
long hours followed by slow days. inconsistent workload
Innovative Real Estate Company
Licensed Realtor/Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 28, 2017
Redfin is a technology based real estate company that focuses on customer satisfaction. No two days are the same, and we have the opportunity each day to help people find their dream home, or sell their current home.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Hours are not guaranteed.
Over Worked and Under Paid
Realtor/Broker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 29, 2017
I think Redfin is a great place to work for beginners. If you just got your license or if you want to get established in Real Estate. The problem is you get a very small salary and with the largest majority of the commission you earn going to the company.
Vacations are time off are offered but you don't actually get to shut down. You are still expected to take calls from your clients and work during your time off. If you are in a market that is slow then so is your pay. Smaller markets don't get the same amount of support from home office as the larger offices and you can feel very isolated.
The company has a great concept for customer service but they don't have the same commitment to the Realtors in the field that generate almost ALL of the income for the company.
There are company meetings every year so that is a plus if you don't mind staying at a 2 star hotel and eating sub par food.
I would say this is a great Launching pad for agents but no where to stay long term unless you are in a Booming market.
Pros
Flexible schedule, excellent training
Cons
compensation, work life balance, lack of support from home office
Worst managers
Real Estate Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 26, 2017
Redfin is a company that only cares about their money. They will treat you like a slave. The pay is very low and the commission bonuses are a joke (Very Low). Managers act like they own the company and will band rules, and take advantage of the situation.

Managers will use your talent just ti make the company money and earn them self bonuses..

Do not make the same mistake that I made.
Pros
If you like alcohol they will ask you to drink while at work
Cons
Managers are really bad, pay is really low I mean really low, they will make you work everyday.
Horrible Management and Inconsistent Agents
Associate Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2017
Redfin has a good business model just poor people executing it. Management is poor to non-existent and their is a huge disparity in culture between the agents and associate agents. Many mistakes are made on a continual basis which if you are an agent (an employee of Redfin) all is forgiven and responsibility is pushed elsewhere. If you are an associate agent (a contractor) you are guilty of anything an agent deems in their own mind as wrong. No chance to debate or make a case. You are wrong, say sorry I will do better and move on. Even if they attack your character on a personal level and deem you a liar or irresponsible without proof or an investigation. Stand up for yourself and your contract is immediately ended. Listing agents have inaccurate listings that when pointed out do not correct. (Ethics violation). Instructions for AA's are missing or incorrect and the expectation from agent to agent various tremendously. Some want more, some less. It is not the Redfin way but the way of that particular agent. The rules are continual moving target.

I can go on and on with examples so much so that a book is not too far off on how poorly managed this company is.
Pros
Meet new people everyday. Set my own hours.
Cons
No support. No advocates. If you are not a Redfin employee you are a lower life form.
Company is growing too fast and infrastructure is not in place to handle it.
Lead Listing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rosemont, ILJuly 30, 2017
Redfin is a very up and coming, disruptive company that just doesn't have the infrastructure to support it's over-worked and under compensated sales associates. A doable work life balance is extremely difficult to maintain when you are so busy for such an extended period.
Pros
Exciting new concept to promote - great insurance
Cons
Employees work unsustainable work hours and aren't compensated enough
Current truth
Lead Agent (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 25, 2017
The Associate agent role is amazing. Paid for touring, hosting open houses and attending inspections. Easy $50k-$60k with an open calendar.
No responsibility for follow up with client just send over tour info to lead agent.

Awesome CRM that improves monthly. The technology is very user friendly and absolutely amazing.
As a Lead Agent....
This company lets you be a Realtor, where competitors take take take. This is a FULL time career. Many many clients, many many deals. No farming clients.

With the average agent completing average of 36 deals a year you have the ability to learn faster than the competition.

Once you have a small amount of experience you get a transaction coordinator to help you with the volume while you maintain your relationship. Most lead agents earning $85k-$130k yearly.

Work life balance is very difficult. Some people can manage and some people can't. Your only in the office 2 times monthly, most work is from home or on the field.

Redfin philosophy really is honest and for the customer.
Pros
The office is amazing, Mileage reimbursement. Small salary. Ok bonuses. Free leads. Awesome insurance
Cons
Very busy and stressful work weeks.
Lots of Flexibility as an AA
Associate Agent (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXMay 4, 2017
Great part-time job and a lot of flexibility. The Dallas-Fort Worth team really is a good one, probably one of the better ones, and that goes a long way, based on what I see from reviews. I really don't have any complaints. Management? Great. Other agents we work with? Great. I truly believe the Redfin model is the way Real Estate should be. AA's (Associate Agents) don't work on commission. We get paid a flat fee for everything we do and I think we are paid fairly.
Pros
Flexibility. Management.
Cons
Last minute unpaid showing cancellations
Changing culture
Transaction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 24, 2017
The culture of Redfin changed dramatically in a very short time. There seems to be discrepancies from Manager to Manager as related to office policy and file management protocol.
Pros
benfits
Cons
Lack of direction with management
Tour Coordinator
TOUR COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2017
I worked at the Hub in Chicago for a demanding and unappreciative west coast market. I quit a higher paying job to take this with the hopes that I would like it more than what I was doing and I don't regret that decision. This was a great please to work! Pay is decent, but that is offset by the great benefits at a low cost to employees. Employees here feel valued and management is always willing to take suggestions on how to improve processes. Best job I have ever had!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Redfin. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.0InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

4.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight