REED International

REED International Pay & Benefits reviews

Clear
2.7Pay & Benefits

Poor management

This place is highly disorganized beyond any other, and you get micromanaged like no other. There is possibility for discrimation in the workplace as I was singled out on multiple occasions - whereas colleagues got away with the same situation. It’s unusually loud, like everywhere is a break room. Lunch hour is basically on duty - shove your sandwich in your mouth and get back to work. It’s a joke of a pay with everything you’re expected to do and get reprimanded when guidelines cannot or are not met. My higher-ups don’t know how to manage their team properly and lose track of what it is we need them to do leading to delays and not treating us equally. My job is to go through the dirt and grime while my higher-ups get praised. There’s no bonuses as well, go figure. There is also favoritism that goes on here. It’s not right.

Pros

You have your own set of things?

Cons

Short breaks, not enough pay, poor management, disorganization, the list can go on

Professionalism is paramount and despline.

I'm incredibly impressed ,the salary is excellent, welfare is good, and customer service has been outstanding,all employees are treated the same with high respect,making the work easier for every one

Pros

Free air tickets to and from home

Cons

Normal operational hours 8 to 12

REED International insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Supportive environment
  • General feeling of work happiness
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Support from manager
  • Time and location flexibility

Job experience

My job work experience me a lot even I do not chance has been given to clarify our doubts and managements also not given us satisfaction. us guys are very cool but don't ask about the few South African guys !!! bad feelings. working with US Army is great job experience for me.

Pros

Free Lunch, Accommodation and Laundry etc

Cons

yearly Medical free

Beware

12 hour days working 60+ hours a week at 200 a day = approx 18hr to be in a war zone thousands of miles away from home. Not to mention your 1099.. Anyone who accepts a job with these companies are contributing to underbidding contracts and hurting employees on many fronts. I can only imagine the living conditions.

The Reed contract experience.Bagram

Reed is a contract security company basically for two types of contractors, If you have never worked overseas security and want to get your foot in the door, Nothing to high speed, but it will put you in the middle of a war zone. If your a more experienced contractor, its a nice way to keep your DOD clearance active and save a few bucks while you wait for something better. The overall company culture is one of common sense, A typical day is basic guard duty and entry/exit control. 90% of the job on one base is pushing a button. The biggest issue with this job is CRC, at Ft Bliss, so make sure your healthy enough to pass a medical exam, have two pairs of glasses, make sure your dental health is good. Reed allows you to have your own plate carrier and Helmut, So if you have an option of sending the CRC issued gear home before you fly, do it. The hardest part of the job is the monotony of the same routine, most people go to the gym, or play PS2,etc. Transportation to work is via SUV (Toyota) At one airbase, their may be 6-7 people in a 8-man room, which you can hang blankets to make it semi private. restrooms are shared with other contractors, not all of who are US. be ready for culture shock in that aspect. DO NOT LOSE YOUR CAC card. NO Benefits other than BDA.(Base Defense Act). 107mm rocket attacks are a constant threat, treat them seriously. The contract rotation is 4 months on and one 1 month off. the leave is unpaid so be prepared to be short a pay check if/when you return from leave. The primary weapon carried by Reed is the Yugoslav version of the AK-47 (M70) and -

Not a bad contract at all

For the people giving this company bad ratings, they might have little knowledge/experience of how overseas contracts are. This is my second contract and I can say that things here aren't bad at all considering the Afghan environment. Granted $200 a day isn't the best for contract work, but it's certainly not the worst. Especially considering the work is relatively easy. Living conditions aren't that bad at all and the food is isn't that bad either. I'm still relatively new with Reed but from the way things are looking right now I may even renew my contract once I finish this first one.

Pros

Decent pay for the work, relaxed management, living conditions decent

Cons

Haven't really found any yet

Provided an easy environment to work in

Decent money for the work. Laid back. Your job is to provied security for the client. You work with one other partner at a number of posts. There's two ecp's, two towers and flightline.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

No benefits, no bonus, only paid once a month, contracts are overseas

Do Not Work Here

Where do i begin. Lets start with your co workers. Very few actually work. Most of them slack off and leave you to do all the work because they are the shift supervisors buddies and therefore can sit and play on their phones without the supervisor caring. Yes the supervisors are extremely lazy too. Most of them with the lazy co workers will all sit in the guard shack and play on their phones or drive off to the PX for hours. No benefits whatsoever no medical or dental. You have to pay for your own R&R if you dont want to risk getting shot on the road to Kabul because they are to cheap to fly you from Bagram which only costs a couple hundred more. You never get to sit down and eat unless its after work. Your breakfast and lunch you will scarf down real quick and get back to work. Only do this job if you enjoy watching other people slack off while you do all the work.

Reed International

They have nearly non-existent leadership, it seems like the people that get promoted cannot think for themselves and need the puppet master to move for them. This company nearly has a 100 percent turn over rate. The people that make supervisor positions are usually here about 2 months before forcibly given the job. If you are still here after 4 months you are given the job of a GSS, and the pay is $5 more than an Armed guard with 3 times the responsibility. People that have to go through training before getting to Kandahar are telling everybody else arriving not to come out here, its that bad. I needed this contract for my clearance, I have that and now I am leaving before they potentially destroy my career.

Pros

Free Laundry

Cons

no medical, no benefits, Mil air, 4 per room, no responsibility, weapons broken.

Easy money, Easy job, not for people with ambition

Most people that come work for Reed are overqualified and stay for a few months because something a lot better comes along. Which leads to low manning throughout the year. It's a very easy job to make a quick buck. If you have ambition to move up in a company this is not it. The jobs this company offer are more for first time contractors or retirees trying to make a quick buck. If your ambitious trying to move up in the contracting world, use this gig as a way to train yourself for something better, save money, and learn about other opportunities out there. Can't pass a pt test? go to work here so you can train for a year until you can pass. Need time in country? The contracts are 1 year long. Currently they send employees to CRC for 2 weeks with no pay and you won't be paid until your on site which can take between 3-4 weeks. If your ok not being paid for that long then go for it. It was better a year ago when they flew you straight to the site and got paid immediately.

Pros

Very easy work & pay is always on time

Cons

Management, CRC and time it take to get to site is unpaid.

What to expect

You should expect to get put in a 4 man room. work long hours for a manager that has no experience in that position that makes his own rules up. But they let you wear what you want and have no beard rule. You can tell your friends your a mercenary. There is no promotion for anyone if you don't know anyone specific. Its contracting for DOD what do you expect? Do you like having 30 days off the whole year? guess what....thats all you get and its non paid. they promise you 170 a day and when you get there they tell you its 160 cause the company keeps 10 dollars a day till you complete your contract then they give it to you as a "bonus". If you leave earlier then you dont get that money.

Pros

Free food, Free gym

Cons

Everything else and pay

Nonproductive

Its very struggling but stressful with no care to its employees. It's after earning it's income with administrator who undermine employees and no equal distribution of resources.

Pros

Free lunch, breakfast, super

Cons

Short break

I enjoy working for Reed international

Reed has been good employer allowing me to work under minimum supervision for all we are professional in what we are assigned do. Most of employees have previous experience as armed security.

Pros

Meals and accommodation are offered including air ticket to and fro vacation and paid l vacation.

Cons

Break for 21 days after three months.

Good living environment

I been working with American Military so i had no problem with them . They are very supportive . Also i had a good working experience with reed supporting staff. They are nice people but i was fedup up afganistan thats why i resigned but i can join any time again as per my CEO.

Pros

Free meals

Cons

Long hour

Overseas Security Contracting

They pay on time. Pay is comparable to other companies. 90 - 100 travel. Management is good. Some co-workers are immature but they weed themselves out.

love the work but management is lacking

local family ran co. that is focused on their selves making plenty on money but not the employees. Management is lacking and leaving employees having to figure out the jobs on their own.

Pros

nice people

Cons

pay, benefits

Very dangerous

Very dangerous. A lot of work, minimum sleep. Not able to be with your loved ones for a certain amount of time. I have learned a lot on how this Country works and how they do certain things. Very Diverse. You get expose to various situations.

Pros

Boarding and food

Cons

Very long hours

close knit family style environment

RII is a small company so most employees wear many hats. There is usually no monotony in day to day tasks. RII offers interesting challenges and products. For being such small company RII has a significant global presence. The lower level management is very helpful and cooperative between departments.

Pros

flexible schedule and great benefits

Cons

remote location for most employees but still much better than most commutes

This job is stable

If you are looking for a stable income this is a good job. Hardest part of this jobs being away from family. Your daily schedule is routine and predetermined.

It is excellent

It is excellent, given the position it deserves with a good salary Experience the security services and good communications

South African culture

This company is located in Kabul, Afghanistan: This was an enjoyable overall experience, but there were a few downsides. What I like about this company were the family values associated with this company's everyday decision-making. It was truly a mom & pop shop type operation. The thing I hated most about KBR were all the dam SOPs and written procedures. The thing I loved most about REED were the lack of written policies and procedures. Another plus to this company from an American standpoint was the exposure to South African culture. There is a down side to it, but overall it is a very respectable culture with a strong history. I learned so much about a history that I never had any exposure to. The downside to South African culture is a lack of respect for Americans. Unfortunately, they think that all Americans are lazy and high maintenance. All I can say is that there is an overpopulated amount of bad apple Americans within contracting, and that has a lot to do with it. In general, the South Africans have a very good standing policy for how to conduct business: you take care of me, and I'll take care of you. Because I did such a dam fine job of taking care of the contract, my employees, and the company, I always got what I wanted. The only thing that was really lacking were the salaries. Because REED had to underbid their competitors so much, the salaries were about 30% less than they should have been.

Pros

Fully paid vacation, decent salary

Cons

No upward mobility, no company resources

Ask a question about working or interviewing at REED International. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits