Reed Smith LLP Employee Reviews

A great law firm
Patent Agent and Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 6, 2018
I worked there in 2015. My time there was nice. My colleagues were personable yet professional, my supervisors gave very helpful feedback, and everyone was invested in my advancement. Unfortunately, the firm underwent a major restructuring during which they cut many jobs, including many of my colleagues'.
Great Firm
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VANovember 5, 2018
I left because my partner moved to Pillsbury Shaw Pittman. I would highly recommend the firm to my friends. Great benefits and great people. A team-oriented environment.
Poor Corporate Culture
Staff Attorney (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 1, 2018
It's no longer a law firm, but a corporation. Not much of a work-life balance. Managers are mean, selfish, arrogant and dishonest, but mostly mean. Ethics honored in the breach. Never was made to feel part of my department. Tale a pass on RS if you can.
Pros
Free coffee and tea. Nobody ever kept track of vacation days. Pay was OK but not great.
Cons
Cubilcles, not offices. No privacy. Ignorant supervisors.
Learning opportunities
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 11, 2018
Learned new software applications. Does not have a team atmosphere. Every man for themselves mentality. Busy work environment. Business Manager is in your personal space. Can be abrupt in dealing with you. Does not keep information and/or conversations confidential.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Environment
++ Firm to work for
Accounting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 3, 2018
Compensation is very competitive, benefits are outstanding, people are overall fun to be around and work with are a few of the pros.
Advancement is fairly limited as there is little turnover within and rarely is an opportunity created for an employer with advanced skill set to advance career is a con. Still overall a good Firm to work for.
Great place to work with great employees
Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 1, 2018
My time at Reed Smith was enjoyable. I had a good relationship with a lot of the people in my office. Good benefits, work-life balance and management. Overall, great people and culture.
Would not recommend
Associate (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJSeptember 17, 2018
There is a high turnover rate and poor work/life balance. Experience varies greatly depending on your practice group and partner. High stress work environment.
Collaborative Place
Partner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2018
RS is a collaborative environment where people tend to work well together. The culture is more laid back than at many other NY law firms, likely as a result of the firm's Pittsburgh origins.
Supportive firm
Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2018
A worldwide firm with opportunities for growth. Billable hour requirements are high but not as high as some firms. There has been some controversy over revised salary scales.
Nice work atmosphere. Good people.
Network Operations Center Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 19, 2018
I enjoyed working here. I felt that my direct manager was great at deflecting garbage coming from higher ups. The pay and compensation was average. The 7% 401k contribution regardless of how much you contributed was really nice. The PTO was very generous. I had 30 days after 5 years. The people are great.
Pros
People, equipment, money in the budget for new stuff.
Cons
Some managers are micro managers.
Bias environment, too much favoritism
Business Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 7, 2018
Bias environment, too much favoritism between authority figures within the firm. They market a fair environment, but behind closed doors, they do the opposite.
Benefits
Cons
Too much favoritism
Great Place to Work
Network Operations Center Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 4, 2018
Responsibilities included monitoring a global enterprise, identifying issues and potential problems, coordinating resources, communicating the status, providing Tier I support, and assisting with routine tasks and maintenance in a 24/7 environment.
Great Place to Start
AP Expense Reports Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 12, 2018
Reed Smith offers great opportunity if you know where to find it. Everything is scheduled down to the exact detail of the position you are in. Its a great place to get your feet wet.
Pros
Great health benefits, Pto, employees
Cons
not much room for advancement
Work is Good
E-Discovery Attorney (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 4, 2018
If you like doc review this is the place to be. It's modern and clean and updated with latest technology. The amount of work is pretty consistent. If there's ever a slow period, the higher ups will find something for you to work on so that you don't have to go unpaid.
It's a Law Firm
Real Estate Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 2, 2018
Although I felt treated well enough, there is a massive disparity between the Staff and the billing Attorneys. The perks and benefits realistically only apply to attorneys as they are still too expensive for any staffer. All company functions, like parties, happy hours, etc. are for attorneys only. Upward movement for non-attorneys is almost non-existent.
Challenging, high-level work
Complex Litigation Defense Attorney (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 27, 2017
Challenging, high-level work in managed care and other complex litigation matters. Reed Smith has numerous offices in the United States and globally.
Great work environment.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 8, 2017
The San Francisco office was excellent. The management was great, the work environment was wonderful and the location was ideal. Legal is always stressful and fast paced but my attorneys were very courteous..
Pros
Great perks and fun projects.
Poor management
Patent Secretary / Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 5, 2017
Stressful,; did some commercial litigation; very competitive; they did not try to work with our IP department;eventually got rid of the prosecution part of our practice in their eyes was not a moneymaker; litigation was their focus
Pros
learning a new type of law
Excellent Environment and Educational
Temporary position - Stivers Staffing (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 12, 2017
I had worked at Reed Smith for almost one year as a temporary employee and everyone that I had the pleasure to work with made me feel very comfortable and welcome.
Pros
Educational
Cons
Only Temporary assignment
My position gives me flexibility.
Global Travel Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 29, 2017
Travel is not typical so my days can be extremely hectic to quiet and calm giving me the time to review reports and update information. I am a global department of one so I am "on the job" even when I am out of the office. I enjoy working with all levels of management and staff along with the different types of vendors all over the world.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low compensation for responsibilites