Reed Smith LLP Employee Reviews

Learning opportunities
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 11, 2018
Learned new software applications. Does not have a team atmosphere. Every man for themselves mentality. Busy work environment. Business Manager is in your personal space. Can be abrupt in dealing with you. Does not keep information and/or conversations confidential.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Environment
++ Firm to work for
Accounting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 3, 2018
Compensation is very competitive, benefits are outstanding, people are overall fun to be around and work with are a few of the pros.
Advancement is fairly limited as there is little turnover within and rarely is an opportunity created for an employer with advanced skill set to advance career is a con. Still overall a good Firm to work for.
Great place to work with great employees
Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 1, 2018
My time at Reed Smith was enjoyable. I had a good relationship with a lot of the people in my office. Good benefits, work-life balance and management. Overall, great people and culture.
Would not recommend
Associate (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJSeptember 17, 2018
There is a high turnover rate and poor work/life balance. Experience varies greatly depending on your practice group and partner. High stress work environment.
Collaborative Place
Partner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2018
RS is a collaborative environment where people tend to work well together. The culture is more laid back than at many other NY law firms, likely as a result of the firm's Pittsburgh origins.
Supportive firm
Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2018
A worldwide firm with opportunities for growth. Billable hour requirements are high but not as high as some firms. There has been some controversy over revised salary scales.
Nice work atmosphere. Good people.
Network Operations Center Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 19, 2018
I enjoyed working here. I felt that my direct manager was great at deflecting garbage coming from higher ups. The pay and compensation was average. The 7% 401k contribution regardless of how much you contributed was really nice. The PTO was very generous. I had 30 days after 5 years. The people are great.
Pros
People, equipment, money in the budget for new stuff.
Cons
Some managers are micro managers.
Bias environment, too much favoritism
Business Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 7, 2018
Bias environment, too much favoritism between authority figures within the firm. They market a fair environment, but behind closed doors, they do the opposite.
Benefits
Cons
Too much favoritism
Great Place to Work
Network Operations Center Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 4, 2018
Responsibilities included monitoring a global enterprise, identifying issues and potential problems, coordinating resources, communicating the status, providing Tier I support, and assisting with routine tasks and maintenance in a 24/7 environment.
Great Place to Start
AP Expense Reports Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 12, 2018
Reed Smith offers great opportunity if you know where to find it. Everything is scheduled down to the exact detail of the position you are in. Its a great place to get your feet wet.
Pros
Great health benefits, Pto, employees
Cons
not much room for advancement
Work is Good
E-Discovery Attorney (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 4, 2018
If you like doc review this is the place to be. It's modern and clean and updated with latest technology. The amount of work is pretty consistent. If there's ever a slow period, the higher ups will find something for you to work on so that you don't have to go unpaid.
It's a Law Firm
Real Estate Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 2, 2018
Although I felt treated well enough, there is a massive disparity between the Staff and the billing Attorneys. The perks and benefits realistically only apply to attorneys as they are still too expensive for any staffer. All company functions, like parties, happy hours, etc. are for attorneys only. Upward movement for non-attorneys is almost non-existent.
Challenging, high-level work
Complex Litigation Defense Attorney (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 27, 2017
Challenging, high-level work in managed care and other complex litigation matters. Reed Smith has numerous offices in the United States and globally.
Great work environment.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 8, 2017
The San Francisco office was excellent. The management was great, the work environment was wonderful and the location was ideal. Legal is always stressful and fast paced but my attorneys were very courteous..
Pros
Great perks and fun projects.
Poor management
Patent Secretary / Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 5, 2017
Stressful,; did some commercial litigation; very competitive; they did not try to work with our IP department;eventually got rid of the prosecution part of our practice in their eyes was not a moneymaker; litigation was their focus
Pros
learning a new type of law
Excellent Environment and Educational
Temporary position - Stivers Staffing (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 12, 2017
I had worked at Reed Smith for almost one year as a temporary employee and everyone that I had the pleasure to work with made me feel very comfortable and welcome.
Pros
Educational
Cons
Only Temporary assignment
My position gives me flexibility.
Global Travel Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 29, 2017
Travel is not typical so my days can be extremely hectic to quiet and calm giving me the time to review reports and update information. I am a global department of one so I am "on the job" even when I am out of the office. I enjoy working with all levels of management and staff along with the different types of vendors all over the world.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low compensation for responsibilites
Cut throat firm with w\miserable partners and not enough work to go around.
Counsel (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 12, 2017
Reed Smith is the worst place I have worked during a 30 year career. The pay was low compared to similar firms. The older, male partners bully associates and staff and generally are miserable. The associates ruthlessly compete for work. The hours are long, there is no loyalty and everyone is paranoid about their job. Beware!
Pros
Nice office
Cons
Low pay, ruthlessly competitive environment, not enough work to go around.
Office needs to grow
Corporate Paralegal Employer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 26, 2017
the office was not that busy and needs to grow. There were many days when I had no work and it was hard to find billable hours to meet my quota. Needs more attorneys
Productive place of work
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 23, 2017
Reed Smith LLP is a great place to work. The attorneys ensure that you have enough work to occur your time and, overall, the experience was quite pleasant.