Refinery29 Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
DIGITAL ASSET SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2017
Women run company with great creative minds. Fun and fast paced with lots of opportunities to learn new things outside of your field. Beautiful office with great classes and job culture.
Pros
Snacks
Cons
low pay
Good place for a first time worker
Accounting (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2017
Refinery29 is a good company for someone who is just starting to work for the first time. The management side of the business is unprofessional and not stable, overall.
Pros
Free stuff
Cons
Great insurance
Learned a great deal
ASSISTANT VIDEO EDITOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2017
Working here was a great experience. There were a lot of perks, but the people were wonderful and so, so helpful when I first started. Post Coordinator was the best one I've worked under.
Fun workplace culture, terrible managment
Freelance Video (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 10, 2017
I worked up from being an intern to my current position. Producers and co-workers are great here, wonderful people in design and editorial departments as well. However, the company is run by WHITE MEN. This is a company supposedly based on intersectional feminist values and inclusivity. That being said- there is little diversity and overt sexism in the video department. Management is misleading, incompetent and disrespectful. I produced work well over my pay grade and the managements response was to threaten my job. Multiple people within the department are paid different salaries for doing the same jobs, with the same experience levels, ofter based on favoritism and family ties..
Pros
cool speakers, beautiful office, free lunches occasionally
Cons
terrible treatment of employees, horrible management, no security
Can't find better coworkers anywhere else
Post Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2017
Refinery29 is a great place where young people can start out and get hands on experience in almost any field that they are curious about within the company. The culture is very open and laid back, which is great. The co-workers are so caring and everyone is so close at the company. You will definitely find your best friend while working here.
Pros
Camaraderie, free food all the time, cool office decor, work with people with all different experiences
Cons
Management could be stronger, hard to advance in the company
Interesting place for young professionals
Finance (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2016
Interesting place for young professionals but not for everyone. For mid-level career professionals it could be some different place.
Waste of time
Editorial intern (Former Employee) –  New YorkAugust 4, 2015
the most unprofessional "professionals" I've ever met. Editors are always missing their deadlines and canceling important meetings very last minute with no explanation. Plus they pay you pennies. Don't waste your time even interviewing here
A memorable Summer Internship!
Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2015
A typical day during my Summer Internship at Refinery29 included answering emails, deploying laptops and desktops for new hires, and providing both remote and on-site support. During this time, I learned all about Macintosh OSX operation & repair as the office used Apple for 80% of their employees. In terms of Management and Work Environment, this was the type of workplace where our Director would show up at our desks every Friday at 5pm with a shot glass filled with Irish Jameson Whiskey for us! The Office was equipped with access to the swimming pool on the roof overseeing Downtown Manhattan, 4 Meeting Rooms, an Entertainment Room, and fully staffed Kitchen area for just about anything. This was a young, successful start-up in the online Womens lifestyle blogging industry. My Co-Workers were incredibly friendly and outgoing. They were all my age; young working professionals in New York City! I distinctly remember being there for the day-long party they threw for their employees when we had 1,000,000 unique hits in 24 hours! The hardest part of the job was definitely dealing with Executives, since there is so much urgency and pressure to correct the issue they are having. The most enjoyable part of the position was just coming into work every morning. That was really one of the happiest, best positions I've ever held in my professional career.
Pros
Great Work Environment
Cons
Long Hours
Creative, work part time
Guest Contributor (Current Employee) –  RemoteApril 16, 2015
Challenging place to work for a writer but it's rewarding if you like the topics.I'm only part time and freelance so I can't say much for full-time employees.
Fun and Young
Receptionist & Office Assistant, Freelance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2014
Day to Day nothing ever remains the same and that is from the top to the bottom of the food chain. Most times things are fast paced and most take part in the cool activities or swag that happens all over the office.

Colleagues are fun, supportive and most of the time friends outside the office. It's a great place to get your feet wet and learn the ins and outs of a fast paced upstart.
Pros
Food and swag in abundance
Cons
The pace can wear on you
Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table and pet health benefits
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2014
Refinery29, the largest independent fashion and style website in the United States, is a lifestyle platform that delivers nonstop inspiration to live a more stylish and creative life. In addition to its global and local newsletter editions and 24/7 original editorial content, Refinery29 connects over 10 million visitors every month and over 1.25 million subscribers with content, commerce, and community, giving them all the tips, tricks, and tools they need to live a more beautiful life – and share it with the world.
Worst experience of my life
n/a (Former Employee) –  nycMarch 18, 2013
Worst experience of my life. I thougth that the boss in "Devil Wears Prada" was bad. This woman makes her look like an angel.