REI Systems Employee Reviews

Great Place to work, learn and grow!
Technical Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAFebruary 26, 2019
REI Systems is a great place where you get to work with really smart people. It is a fun environment that is very collaborative. I Had the opportunity to represent the organization at job fairs, meet ups and other professional events.
Unorganized, dealing with growing pains
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VANovember 7, 2018
The company wants to be known for caring about its employees without much follow-through. The "clubs" hardly exist and are employee sponsored, "unlimited professional" development is capped, the core values and mission are unclear. I'm not sure if management truly understands the value of investing in their employees.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of trust in employees, no onboarding or training, more about appearances than facts
good place to work
Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAMarch 13, 2018
REI is a good place to work overall. The best part of the job is that I get to troubleshoot and be part of complicated issues. Hard part is that its usually a long day at work.
Pros
lot of learning
Cons
stressful
Good
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAMarch 10, 2018
My interviewers were very good. working for REI is a smart+fun place to work, and seemed to show a genuine interest in ensuring that this would be a good cultural fit for me and for them.
This company is a mess
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAMarch 1, 2018
They are about 20 years old but I feel like are a start up, based off of how little they have in order. The backend storage system for contracts is a mess, they don't clearly state what your tasks are when you start and expect you to begin working to their pace from day 1. There is no training period or clear sense of direction. I put in DAYS of work trying to clean up the backend storage system and they told me I was wasting my time with it, I created a project for myself to clean it up on my own time outside of other projects, and when I went to present the new system I designed for the team they wanted to glance over it because it wasn't important to them.
Pros
Salary is decent, free bagels every friday
Cons
Entire company feels like a new company, they don't know what they're doing
Salesforce Administrator/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 21, 2018
it is a great place to work. you get what you give and you are encouraged to better yourself with seminars, meetups and brown bags sessions.
It has a great work to family balance
Productive and fun
Senior Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAFebruary 19, 2018
Good work culture, professional management, innovative and growth opportunity. Learning and training has no limits, passionate employee will be recognized sooner or later by REI management.
There is always something more to do
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VADecember 29, 2017
Working hours are long but the work is productive and a lot.
Good diversity of work and changes with time.
They are still setting up systems so there may be chaos in the start.
Pretty good place to work
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAOctober 3, 2017
I've been working at REI for 2.5 Years. The push for Agile has been genuine. The compensation is good. Depending on team, the project work is interesting. You have a decent amount of freedom of code writing and development choice. Overall, hearing my friends complaints about their jobs makes me realize that this job is a bit of a unicorn in the DC tech industry.
Pros
Pay raises that aren't just cost of living adjustments, most benefits, flexible work culture, training resources
Cons
Health plan isn't as good for prescription drug coverage
Hard to grow
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAAugust 27, 2017
They make sure that they give you plenty of work and pay you less for it.
If you are having a good manager, you are lucky. There is a possibility that you wear multiple hats which is good as well as bad.
REI is a great company
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAMarch 31, 2017
REI is a great company, I think the people there are very nice and they treat you very well. Great work and people, what else is there to ask for? 150char minimum
Its a good company
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VASeptember 11, 2015
I enjoyed my time at REI.The company is very diverse and the founders are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. The last few months though, the company is losing large-scale projects and have affected the mood of the workers. Overall, I still enjoyed my time at REI.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Wrong People Managing projects
Working at REI
Techinical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sterling. VAJuly 21, 2015
It is a excellent company to work for. They have a exciting and enthusiastic working environment. They function like a startup tech firm but they are a well established firm
Pros
Cons
Upward Mobility
A stepping stone and nothing more
CM Associate (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAApril 8, 2015
REI Systems is a company where you get your feet wet then move on.

Before getting to the bad though, lets start with the good.

Free bagel friday. :D Every friday there's free bagels for all employees.

The employees are nice. The managers are mostly nice and the environment is great. People are nice and relaxed and there's no manager breathing down your neck 24/7.

They have food all the time and even plan company activities. They have picnics, free food and more all the time.

But that's all the good... and now we go to what's underneath.

The company environment may be great but not between employee and manager. The employee here is treated as if they don't have a say. Sure the management and even owners give out surveys asking for input and they even have a "have lunch with an owner" program. But even with these things, nothing seems to be done. Your input seems to be tossed aside. heard but not listened to. And if you bring it up with a manager, well then your given a lame excuse and told "how things are" and even that "REI HAS to do what they do and they don't plan on changing".

Now don't get me wrong. Your direct manager will most likely listen as they see everyday what you go through and will even raise concerns with upper management. But because the very next manager has no idea what you go through or even any technical background, it all stops there. That's where your idea to better the company will get thrown away and you'll be told "how things are".

Now let's move on to structure. It's very important in a good company. There's ways laid out on
  more... how to handle things and processes followed in a good company. REI has none of that, well I should say, very little. If you're on a solution team this = awesome. Solution teams here seem to get away with anything. On any given day multiple solution teams will go to a manager requesting "special permission" to disregard the processes. you know, the ones meant to keep bugs out of production. Every time, the management allows them. So solution teams seem to follow no rules here. REI does have rules but backs out of them the second any solution even thinks of complaining. This wouldn't be a bad thing if the code released to production was bug free and tested but REI doesn't seem to value this idea as solution teams not only release bugged and untested code straight to production, they do it multiple times in a row. As an employee you're stuck being powerless to do anything about it. So solution team = winning and lawless but other teams = losing and powerless. It's so bad actually, over half the CM team quit 1 right the other just this year (and this year just started).

REI also bows to it's customers and takes on wayyyy more than it can handle. REI even admitted it takes on too much and actually loses money doing so, to it's own employees (at least the company doesn't lie. +1 for company culture). The customer actually runs REI. By this I mean that REI won't say no to it's customer (the government). Wen the government demands an unreasonable timeline or expects more than REI can reasonable produce, REI just says "ok" and passes the buck to the employees. Remember up ^ when I said solution teams have no rules? That's because of REI not saying no. For example, the government says the want to move the deadline up a week or add a new feature right before release. The solution teams will say no and raise a concern but REI will say yes and put the pressure on the teams to release and that means they have to disregard the release process and just like that, you have the above situation where bugs and untested code are released.

Now with all this bad, you'd think it can't improve right? Not true. REI could easily improve. It could change how it releases and put more focus on proper testing. It could focus on following it's own procedures instead of constantly backing away from them. It could negotiate with its customer instead of bowing to it. And it could take on what it can handle instead of jumping on every opportunity. Most importantly, it could listen to it's employees when they offer ways to improve instead of shoving "our culture is great! Have some cake. Bagel?" in it's employees face.

Bottom line is - work here and get some experience but don't plan to stay long or improve the company. They just won't listen to any improvements you suggest, unless of course it's something like "dance at the all hands meeting" or "have an ice cream social" (those they listen to). This company needs to restructure how they run or they'll forever be the governments little puppet and you'll want to leave after only a couple months.
Pros
Food, Bagels, Co-workers
Cons
Managers won't listen, Bows to it's customers every wish, releases bugs into production constently
Productive and Innovative Enrivornment
Junior Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAJanuary 25, 2014
At REI Systems, you get to be able to have the flexible work hours. You get to have fun in the game room. The employees are very friendly and fun to work with. If you are looking to learn new technology or strive to excel in your position, this is the place for you.
Pros
Bagel Fridays
Creative and leadership
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAOctober 25, 2013
REI Systems, had a friendly and fun atmosphere, they had ping pong tables and outdoors picnic tables for all employees to enjoy. I also enjoyed the fact that the office did community outreach with local organizations (i.e.) donating clothes to the homeless, christmas drive to senior livening organization and always would promote and come up with some ways to create activities for their employees. I felt the leadership team was great as well.
Pros
Potlucks and games
Cons
Healthcare; work for home
boring
Help Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 9, 2013
this job was misleading, it is not an IT job it only has the tittle of an IT job its 99% customer service and 1% IT.
Pros
pay for transportation
Cons
bad benefits
Productive, energetic work place with clean environment
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAJune 28, 2013
makes you come to the work and contribute to the growth of the business. love the environment and activities to motivate the employees