REI Employee Reviews

Inspiring and fun!
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTNovember 10, 2018
My favorite part of working at REI is getting people geared up to enjoy the outdoors. REIs mission is that a "Life outdoors, is a life well lived" This is also part of my personal statement. I love that it is more than retail, I feel more like an educator and advocate for outdoor spaces!
Pros
Fun work environment, challenging and dynamic, REI lives its mission
Cons
Customers can be degrading and rude.
Bicycle Technician, Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 4, 2018
REI is a great place to work if you're passionate about the outdoors and outdoor gear. As a retail associate, schedules are flexible, the work is low-stress, and your coworkers are like-minded. Benefits are great for this type of position as well.
Pros
Great work environment, benefits
Company that lives up to its mission
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Saratoga, CAOctober 25, 2018
REI is deeply passionate about stewardship and living life with respect to the outdoors. Good support from management in career advancement for those who are proactive in wanting to move up in leadership.
good place
Senior Software Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 17, 2018
good work life balance. Sports loving people. Good perks for full time employees. Hard part was it's in Kent too far from east side. Long commute.
Thanks
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAOctober 15, 2018
Look online on the many testaments from former and current employees. You will find a common theme, Great place to work but does not pay enough. Sure the benefits are great but cost of living has gone up extremely fast recently and the wage scale has not.
Boring, felt like a robot with a fake smile
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 14, 2018
You make less then $11.30 an hour, not worth my time working 8-12 hours a week. All the co-workers are fun, you get the sense no one really likes being there but works for the discount.
Decent job, poor pay for retail employees.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 13, 2018
Expect your paycheck to come back to REI. It makes a good second job, but it won't pay your bills. The discounts and prodeals are excellent. The environment seems like it breeds a certain contempt for the outdoor community, but knowledge doesn't equate to skill.
Pros
Discount, prodeal, laid-back environment
Cons
Pay, Management, hit-or-miss culture
overall a great but frustrating company
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 11, 2018
I grew my career at REI thanks to some talented, dedicated, and caring individuals. As the company has grown recently, however, there is less time for collaboration and teaching others and more time spent checking boxes on things you have to do, even though they may not provide any value. I never envisioned myself leaving but the leadership (lack of) and competing priorities finally drove me out. Is it still a great place to work? Yes. Would I consider going back? Yes. It's just not what it used to be.
Pros
Retirement benefits, health benefits, discounts on amazing gear, passion for the outdoors and our world, nice people
Cons
Too many different and competing priorities, lack of direction, nice people who may not give it to you straight
Best job you could ever have, ever!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAOctober 10, 2018
A typical day at work depends on your attitude. Be positive, offer solutions, work on customer satisfaction and you'll be fine! Everyday is a learning experience for everyone. The management is very understanding and drives their teams to success in every department. The culture is outgoing and spontaneous! The hardest part are the very occasional dramatic customers that carry heavy loads or are in a rush so you need to learn to cope with their emotions and meet their every need. The most enjoyable part about this job happens every single day. I love my professional co-workers, clean break room, clean bathroom, clean everything, organized workplace, and occasional store events! :) I'm a happy camper!
Pros
Cons
Nothing bad about REI
Best retail place to work
Camping Retail Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 10, 2018
While the pay isn't fantastic the culture is worth staying. For a part time retail job the in store discounts more than make the job worth it. A typical day involves restocking items, engaging with customers, cleaning the department.
Good for part-time
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 8, 2018
I love this company, I am constantly growing and learning each day I work. The membership is a great perk even if you don't work there. Classes are free and they have great opportunities to go on trips ($$$). Most employees are part-time but everyone there has a passion for the outdoors. This location is great at hiring some really great staff (biased). I think if you like the outdoors or want to know more about the outdoors or you want to work with a company with great values, this is it. The pay isn't the best and I think the hours are not the best currently but I am sure they are working on it.
Pros
flexible hours, discounts, personal growth
Cons
pay, cutting hours, black-out event dates for days off.
Love REI, People & Culture
SALES SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 2, 2018
Great Benefits, and Company Matching Retirement. But its just a part time job, its only a career if you are management. Struggle getting enough hours during non holiday seasons, and most employees had second jobs. But still support and love REI.
Fun place to work
warehouse technician (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAOctober 1, 2018
Fun place to work great bonuses and will work with your every need. Music head phones are allowed. They will have work for you somewhere in the warehouse is they are short.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Farming you out a lot to other positions
Fast paced warehouse with interesting people
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WASeptember 30, 2018
I really enjoyed my time at REI. The work was fast paced, and required you to be constantly alert and thinking to do the job well. Full time positions were at a premium, and it was difficult to get promoted to one, especially if you wanted to move to a different department.
Pros
Constantly busy, no boring down time. Good discount/ employee purchase program.
Cons
Most positions part time. Difficult to get promoted to full time.
Productive and fun work environment with music and good friends
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 24, 2018
I love working in the back of REI as a stock crew member because it's a great work environment with like-minded people and good music. We get things done efficiently and have fun while doing it.
Pros
good people, good products, and good management
benefits
Comfortable but boring at times
REI co-op, Bellevue - Clothing Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 23, 2018
I'd find myself losing motivation to be productive, and some of the days were really long with not a lot of customers. On other days it could feel overwhelming with the amount of people coming through and the limited number of staff on the floor.
Pros
Great employee discounts
Management is very good
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, PASeptember 21, 2018
Good place to work at. Polite co-workers. Good atmosphere. Management worked well with life\Work balance. Good pay and benefits. Training very good.
Good place to work at great customer service
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2018
The place was very organized.
Good pay rate was excellent.
Reasonable hours sometimes i worked overnight.
30 or 40 hours a week sometimes 50 hours.
Positive Co-workers.
Well instructed rules.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short brakes
Yoga Instructor for REI Women"s Retreats
Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) –  Zion National Park, UTSeptember 17, 2018
Teaching yoga for REI Women's Retreats in Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks has been a very rewarding experience.
I have worked two seasons (it is a seasonal contracted position).
Before each class I set up yoga mats and welcomed guests home after a 5-8 mile hike.
My class was a restorative class to help ease and prevent soreness.
After class I was always invited and encouraged to stay with guests and interact with them after.
Pros
Free dinner, tips from guests
Cons
Only offers 8-12 classes a season. Not full time employment.
Great for college students
W Northern LIghts Blvd Ste A- Cashier (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 15, 2018
To be begin they are a great place to work yes although if you are not into the outdoors it will be a new experience for you at first, You will learn a lot for sure while working there.
Pros
Great Managment
Cons
No Short Breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at REI. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at REI.

Powered by Comparably