REI Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Management is very good
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, PASeptember 21, 2018
Good place to work at. Polite co-workers. Good atmosphere. Management worked well with life\Work balance. Good pay and benefits. Training very good.
Good place to work at great customer service
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2018
The place was very organized.
Good pay rate was excellent.
Reasonable hours sometimes i worked overnight.
30 or 40 hours a week sometimes 50 hours.
Positive Co-workers.
Well instructed rules.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short brakes
Yoga Instructor for REI Women"s Retreats
Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) –  Zion National Park, UTSeptember 17, 2018
Teaching yoga for REI Women's Retreats in Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks has been a very rewarding experience.
I have worked two seasons (it is a seasonal contracted position).
Before each class I set up yoga mats and welcomed guests home after a 5-8 mile hike.
My class was a restorative class to help ease and prevent soreness.
After class I was always invited and encouraged to stay with guests and interact with them after.
Pros
Free dinner, tips from guests
Cons
Only offers 8-12 classes a season. Not full time employment.
Great for college students
W Northern LIghts Blvd Ste A- Cashier (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 15, 2018
To be begin they are a great place to work yes although if you are not into the outdoors it will be a new experience for you at first, You will learn a lot for sure while working there.
Pros
Great Managment
Cons
No Short Breaks
Made great friends; Poor management
Action Sports Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 7, 2018
The staff became my family. Everyone was amazing. They were the reason that I wanted to continue working there. Retail can be draining, even if it is in a field you're passionate about, and my coworkers were always there to support me. I loved collaborating on projects, and consistently driving to create a better workplace. The only thing I miss about working there are seeing my friends on a more consistent basis.

While I liked my most of my managers, communication was terrible. Like most workplaces, be prepared for heavy political games. There are favorites, and brown-nosing is a must if you want to advance in any position. I've spent years working in retail, specifically outdoor retail, and I've never had such an erratic schedule. Some weeks I would have 16 hours, during the holidays I would work over seven days in a row. Be prepared. Make sure to get a second job, you won't be living off the wages.
Good Second Job
Sales Lead/Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Couple different storesSeptember 5, 2018
REI has a lot of things going for it but if you try to focus on making it your only job you’ll probably be out of luck. About 80% of the staff at any given store is retired, in school, or has a second job. I was one of the lucky few to get promoted quickly after I was hired and receive full time hours and benefits. They make it easy to transfer and I took advantage of that benefit as well. I don’t want to knock every single department or store manager but the reality of it is that very few care about their employees as there are always massive groups of new hires who can replace you. This makes your job feel pretty insecure and don’t expect to be valued based on your gear knowledge or outdoor experience. Most people who work at REI are not hired on that basis. I would avoid it unless you want to struggle to pay your bills even as a full time employee. If you’re there solely for the discounts then REI is a 5 star place to work. Just don’t involve yourself with the workplace politics, keep quiet, and don’t trust anyone.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Everything Else
Fun Retail Experience
Senior Customer Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 2, 2018
Great people to work with. If you love the outdoors its a great place to learn about all the equipment that exists to get you out there. Also a great way to meet likeminded individuals.
Pros
Discounts, fun environment
Cons
Management, better pay
Rei co-op
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAAugust 29, 2018
REI is a really great place to work especially if you love the outdoors. Everyone is kind and friendly and the benefits are amazing. Depending on what department you work in your daily routine is different, at Frontline we focus on customer service and check out. but if you were to be in clothing, footwear, or camping then you would be a hands on associate helping customers find what is best for them.
Pros
store discounts, retirement funds
Cons
on feet all day
Great
Packer (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAAugust 29, 2018
The job was good. Time went by fast. I would go back if I could.
The employees was very nice and friendly.
It was just good over all I enjoyed working there.
Good if you don’t want a career
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 28, 2018
REI is great if it’s your “for fun” place of employment. Store Managers average 100k/yr and everyone will struggle. You will work really hard and advancing is like winning the lottery. It truly is a culture of who you know and not what you know. The CEO is making good strides, but a few Store Managers still think they can run the business off reputation only. Certain districts are better than others. Expect to wait YEARS for any kind of advancement.
Ok place to work
Customer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 27, 2018
REI was such a great place to work and honestly is a great place to work however management sucks. They do not help you on the floor or with customers when you are in need. If you do ask for help they get irritated with you as if its such a burden to get them from the back offices to the floor. They sit in the back and have social hour while a few people hold the store together and the ones that hold the store together are treated very poorly. I would recommend to some people but not to a friend.
Pros
Pay is good. Easy to get time-off approved. Awesome discounts
Great place to work, safe and productive environment and customer is always satisfied.
Fullfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAAugust 20, 2018
Fast pasted environment, supply's were always available to me customers needs for each order. Equipment was always up and running for us to be productive, if there was any discrepancies we would be considerately notified as a curtsy.
productive, clean,
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJAugust 16, 2018
REI is a pretty fun place to work, yes it gets busy like any other job, but the teams are very community like. everyone becomes like a family. people always brought stuff to the little break room, you get a good discount on the merch
REI is overall a good place to work
Sales, Sales lead, Shop Tech, customer service (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CA 95678August 14, 2018
Let's be honest...REI is a retail company. As far as retail companies go, REI treats their employees very well: earned PTO and sick time, full medical/dental/vision for full timers, and not to mention the best discounts in the industry.

The typical work day is pretty chill and the customers are some of the best I've ever had the chance to work with.

I've made a ton of like minded friends who I ride with and made a ton of great memories with.
Working at REI
Sales Team Member, Outdoor & Camping Gear Retailer (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MDAugust 12, 2018
Working at REI was one of the most rewarding retail jobes I've ever had. Their mission statement and commitment to outdoor stewardship align very closely with my own opinions about the outdoors.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
All employees start on a part time basis.
100 Best Places to Work for a reason
Senior Manager, Supply Chain Integration (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 7, 2018
Great company with solid overall work / life balance. The work place culture was relaxed and collaborative. The focus on the customer (member) shopping experience, quality and stewardship of the business and environment help to guide this company's ethics and mission.
Pros
work / life balance; community engagement;
Cons
career / skill development;
Outdoorsy, relaxed work environment
Retail Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 6, 2018
Just began my journey with this new job, have always shopped here for all my outdoor essentials and immediately walking through the doors for training, I knew this job was for me.
NIce Place
Retail Sales Lead/ Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Manhattan Beach, CAJuly 30, 2018
It is a nice place to work. A typical day at work has you helping nice people buy very nice items to help them do nice things. In the end, everyone ends up happy.
GREAT learning experience
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Sumner, WAJuly 25, 2018
The hardest part of the job for me was when i would set the boats up on the boat jack and transport them to different stores.The most enjoyable time at R.E.I was that i had a very cool boss who instructed great,and at Lunch time their was great food you could order from the chef in the cafeteria.
Great place for part time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJuly 24, 2018
Very hard to get full time. But the people are wonderful, the culture is great, discounts are amazing. Everyone there is passionate about being there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at REI. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight