REI Employee Reviews

Payment is with benefits
Stocker/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 23, 2019
Rei is an awesome place to work if you do not need to make a lot of money. While working at REI you have the opportunity to buy excellent gear at extremely cheap prices
Excellent workplace
Inspired Guide - Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 22, 2019
I did not continue with REI because it was essentially a temporary job for me, but it almost had me convinced to change my career path. I loved the work place, the company culture, my co-workers, and even the customers were amazing.
Great co-workers in collaborative environment
Staff (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 22, 2019
Good place for extroverted and outdoorsy people to work. Constant interaction with customers and co-workers. The pace can vary from slow to bonkers in a very little bit of time. People are excited to work here because they are excited about doing things outdoors. Often co-workers will plan outings together.
Pros
Discounts, comraderie
Cons
retail schedule
Fun work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMarch 20, 2019
I was a contractor at REI in their Marketing Dept. The morale was high because the company took really good care of their employees and it showed. The workplace culture was positive. The hardest part of the job was it was only a contract position. I enjoyed working there every day because the people were kind.
Pros
Parking, and good cafeteria
Cons
I was a contractor
Good company but not so go Merchandise Leadership
Director, Merchandise Planning (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 17, 2019
The company is purpose driven but merchandise leadership tends to play favorites which causes moral issues. The teams work really hard to deliver results but at times it appears that results doesn't matter.
REI is a fun and relaxed atmosphere. Low pay, but opportunities for career advancement
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 13, 2019
Recreational Equipment Inc. is a socially responsible retailer. They have a stable customer base. Employees are underpaid in most locations, but they offer a robust employee discount. Their health benefits rank among the best. they utilize 401k's and profit sharing.
Passionate people with a welcoming atmosphere
Northville - Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Northville, MIMarch 8, 2019
The time I've spent working for REI has shown me how passionate their staff is about educating and encouraging the public to opt outside and get back to nature. The sense of community, encouragement and desire to make positive contributions to the outdoors is what sets REI apart from other outdoor retailers.
Decent Job
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 8, 2019
The job is incredibly easy. The management varies from store to store, however. Some managers are awful and don' care much, some stores have awesome managers that I would highly recommend. Depends. Overall, the job is good for what they pay you.
Great atmosphere and fun place to work
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJMarch 6, 2019
REI is a great place to work even if you don't normally enjoy the outdoors. I had such an amazing experience while working and I wish my time there was more than just seasonal. The employees are so kind and helpful, and working there honestly made me open up more and break out of my anti-social bubble. I would 1000% recommend working there!
Pros
Great environment, helpful staff and management
Cons
job was temporary
Not what they advertise.
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COMarch 2, 2019
This is a retail job at an REI store. My position was as a bike and ski technician in the shop. The pay is low. The culture in the shop area is not inclusive. I don't recommend working there.
Pros
Good deals on gear.
Cons
No money to spend on good deals that you get on gear.
Wouldn’t do it again if I could.
warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, PAFebruary 24, 2019
Management is only out for themselves. You could run yourself into the ground making the best numbers in the whole warehouse and still not get promoted. They do not follow up on safety issues. Your hours get cut because of them thinking they need a ton of temps in there. They don’t fix equipment that should be maintained. Yet rates keep getting increased. Beware if you get hurt. Doesn’t matter if your the best worker they have they will throw you under the bus and get rid of you have seen this happen more times than I can count. I started as a temp and took me 16 months of working two full time jobs to get hired there and ran my health into the ground in the process. I continued to work harder than anyone else though and got hurt then one of the management pretty much told workers comp I got hurt outside of work when I was perfectly fine for the first 6 hrs of then ten hr shift I was working. I was denied workers comp due to this l. And makes me furious for the fact that even on of the other main bosses told me I was top production in the whole building. So what was the point in running myself into the ground. All it took was one other manager to screw me. I now have no job all because of that one person. If your not in a certain click in there your more than expendable. I have also seen people who did nothing but screw around there whole shift get promoted as well just because they kissed the managers butts and we’re friends with them. This happened on more than one occasion. Just would say beware of REI. They don’t care about their employees.
Pros
Honestly not worth it
Cons
Bad management
Customer Service/Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAFebruary 21, 2019
The work is easy and the discounts are pretty fabulous. Management doesn't care too much about the employees and it's all about memberships and numbers.
One of the best jobs I've ever had!
Footwear Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 20, 2019
I was able to play many roles which made the job fun & exciting. I was given responsibilities then trusted by management to carry out those responsibilities.
Okay.
Seasonal Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAFebruary 13, 2019
I was super excited going in, thinking that maybe this could be a long time career. Their training is impeccable and overall they're missing mission is okay. It's too bad they didn't follow it.
Limited opportunities to advance
Business Process Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAFebruary 2, 2019
If you are comfortable performing the same role, the same way, for several years, and have little ambition to better your skillset or standing, this is the place for you.
Love my coworkers but the management and people in the higher up roles really don’t seem to care about the sales associates anymore.
SHIPPER/RECEIVER, SALES ASSOCIATE AND STOCKER (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJanuary 29, 2019
Used to be an amazing company to work for but it slowly keeps getting worse, slowly taking away more and more of our benefits while not I creasing our wages enough. I work in a role where i lead many people in my department and you can still go down the street and get a higher wage than I make just for flipping burgers.
They promote a good work life balance but they pay you so little you have to have at least 2 jobs to make a living. I currently work full time here and still have to have 2 other jobs to make ends meat
They have also been cutting payroll hours every year so now you have more work to do for that same low wage you were making last year. Payroll is so small that it stresses literally everyone who works here out, we commonly make a joke about it because it’s that bad.
Pros
Discounts, awesome like minded co workers, health and dental insurance
Cons
Bad management, low pay, too much work for what you’re paid
Other than the store manager, I loved working there.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Cranston, RIJanuary 29, 2019
My time at REI was a mixed bag. We opened that store as a brand new location. I was hired at full-time and rarely got scheduled those hours. Outside of poor management by the store manager, my experience was fulfilling.
Pros
Comaderie
Cons
Lack of respect for staff
Atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 28, 2019
Working with customers to process returns and new orders. Maintaining tidiness of area. Coworkers are generally relaxed and very competent. Hardest thing is the amount of traffic that comes through during sales making it difficult to accomplish other tasks. Best part of the job is the people and environment you work in.
productive fun work place
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAJanuary 21, 2019
They were eager to help the new employees. The training was short and there fore fast paced in order to cover the needed information.
They have an onsite café for the employees.
All told not a bad place to work.
Fun to work here,
Operations (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MDJanuary 19, 2019
Great team players and most employees had similar outside interests. Variety of duties and able to make decisions without management's involvement. Gave nice, quality REI christmas presents. Great employee discounts on REI brand products. Management inconsistent. Best employees started to leave because of low pay. Some fired for unreasonable reasons.
Pros
discounts, fun atmosphere and people to work with.
Cons
low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at REI. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at REI.

Powered by Comparably