REI Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
First job out of High School
Specialty Shop Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CADecember 7, 2017
I spent over 8 years with REI. Fantastic products, good people and culture. REI is heavy with product knowledge and really focused on customer service until recently. Very liberal environment to work in.
I don't feel it appropriate right now to talk about REI
Retail Infrastructure New Store Project Mgr (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 3, 2017
I don't think it would be appropriate to share my feelings about REI. While I had a good set of years that I LOVED, the last set of management changed completely in a negative manner and the company was losing employees and cohesion.
Co-op Membership
Clothing Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 25, 2017
REI is wonderful, but places far too much emphasis on getting people to sign up for membership. This also plays a vital role in any possibility of advancement, as you won't even be considered for management unless your numbers are competitive. They have also, in the last few years, changed their management tier system making it more difficult to advance anyway. The pay is also very low considering that they want to encourage employees to take advantage of buying outdoor products in order to promote them to customers.
Pros
Discounts, Opportunities for adventures with new friends
Cons
Pay, Advancement Opportunities
It was a great test of product knowledge. Having worked at REI, and dealing with such a broad and detailed product selection, it requires knowledge.
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GANovember 15, 2017
REI was very positive, and the environment is inviting. Product knowledge is the key to value creation for the customer. I had the opportunity to answer a wide array of inquires from traveling advice to the specifications of a particular outdoor rain jacket. Sales per month were tracked, and membership accumulation, to ensure employees received a share of the profits.
Exciting place to work.. Lots of benefits..
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Goodyear, AZNovember 10, 2017
I have worked with Rei for 3 years and 6 months as a temp.. I relocated from Pennsylvania to Arizona when they opened up there new Distribution center.. So far it has been a great ride with the company..
This is the first company that actually cares about there employees.They go kayakig, Hiking , Biking, Volunteer work.. They care about the community and everyone works as a team to make the environment safe and clean..
REI is a company I will retire from..It is family orientated. I am very happy in the company and would highly recommend it as a place for employment.
Pros
Bonuses..activities.. Food..
Cons
Cost of healthcare..deductables..
Great as Second Job
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  NCNovember 6, 2017
Good pay for retail
GREAT benefits for retail (once you work 1000 Hrs)
Ive worked at 3 stores in 2 states and its a great culture and management. Awesome coworkers. Management pay is so so starting out, but decent room to grow.
Cool job for the outdoors type
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 2, 2017
It was simple job with simple tasks. I wish they had better training but that what most jobs lack. I was "let go" for being late and that was un-desirable.
Pros
Cool place to work
Cons
Your typical retail job
flexible and fair
Sales Representative- Hard Goods (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAOctober 29, 2017
Work life balance is nice while in school. There is also a education credit can receive if you apply for it. A good days work, must not sell but explain how gear works. To effectively outfit customers for the next adventure.
Pros
discounts
Cons
hours
Great place to get cheap gear
Action Sports Sales/Footwear/Customer Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 28, 2017
This is a great place to work. I enjoyed it very much and would recommend it to anyone who is searching for a rewarding and satisfying place of employment.
Great company, great employer
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Silverdale, WAOctober 20, 2017
The company believes in its people and puts its money where its mouth is - donating to trails and parks. They actively seek out feedback from their staff
Working at REI
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 19, 2017
An incredible company to work for. They really care about their employees and care just as much about each customer that walks through the door. It is a great atmosphere.
Everyone working together like an eclectic family!
Stocking & Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 18, 2017
The employee discounts are fantastic. It is a great place to work if you love the outdoors, like to talk to people and can share your experience while outfitting them for their adventure.
Pros
The managers make it fun plus provide lunches during busy holiday seasons.
Cons
It is a huge company with lost of structure and rules.
outdoor
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 17, 2017
was a wonderful place to work at and was such a welcome change from my other position. The people were and still are very nice and wanting to help you succeed.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
Great job, if you don't live off of it
Operation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAOctober 17, 2017
It's fun to work at REI, but the life work balance sucks. You either work too much to have time to go outdoors or you barely work enough to pay bills. Discounts are great if you work here part-time and have a well paying second job. While they claim to be a co-op, it's still retail with all the drama and politics. There are some fun things they do differently than other big retail companies (Yaydays) but there are some basic running business procedures that they are still figuring out.
Fun place for outdoor enthusiasts to work
Sales Representative- Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 9, 2017
Fun place for outdoor enthusiasts to work. Wish there were more career opportunity and advancement. Loved my managers. Everyone who worked their seemed to be very happy.
Great Company to work for
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAOctober 5, 2017
I worked in the call center for holiday season and big sale in spring. I took calls all day with people calling in to place orders or have questions on orders.
Pros
got great deals on gear that they sold
Cons
Was only temporary.
Love rei
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 5, 2017
Wish I could make this a career, but I'm not really willing to move repeatedly for a retail job. The pay is ok for a part time job. The hours are retail hours, so that is really why I do not want to stay here forever. The culture is fantastic. The company really cares for workers and the environment. They make sure we have a good work/life balance. Wish I could get a full time day job there.
Pros
Great co-workers. Discount. Being able to dress casually at work. Benefits offered to PT folks.
Cons
Weekend and night hours. Low pay.
Amazing workplace culture
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Carle Place, NYOctober 4, 2017
Amazing place work environment. They put a huge emphasis on the local community and taking care of the environment. They offer a great starting wage and very easy to get time off when I needed it.
great place to work
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 1, 2017
I have worked on and off for REI for over 8 years and have enjoyed it immensely. I would and have recommended people to REI on several occassions and will continue to.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORSeptember 29, 2017
If you aren't concerned about being able to pay for rent then this is the place to work. Vacation is not only allowed and supported but encouraged. Healthy lifestyles and work balance are important to the company. REI puts its money where its mouth is in terms of environmentally friendly goals, supporting local outdoor community, and backing up its product.
Pros
great coworkers, awesome culture, stands up for beliefs, sweet discounts
Cons
not many hours, in store retail is not going to be around forever