Reliance Standard Life Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Toxic Work Environment
nothing important (Former Employee) –  center cityJune 26, 2018
Management is terrible, hr is not any better. I would not suggest anyone to work at this company. Prejudice and cliques like any other. If your manager doesn't like you, you are doomed. Stay away
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Too Long
Short Term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 3, 2018
It has been a long time since I was employed by this company. Therefore, I do not feel that I can provide a fair review of the current state of the company.
Very stressful
Integrated Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 15, 2018
Work/home life balance is nonexistent. Very stressful work environment. Does not offer competitive salaries and do not treat their employees like valued employees.
Cons
Stressful
Too stressful, too much work for slim staff. Needs to hire more PSS's.
Pre-Sale Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH 45242October 15, 2017
Great people, great manager, but Corporate needs to allow for additional staff. We are very stressed and therefore not happy. Very little training, and what is provided, isn't sufficient.
Pros
10 paid holidays, bonuses, 401K plan
Cons
Training, additional staffing needed.
fast paced every changing stressful environment
Premium Analyst (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 12, 2017
This is a fast paced stressful environment. You need to be able to work independently and be q quick learner. You must have excellent communication skills
Pros
flexible start time
Good place to start
Group Benefits Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Midwest, USASeptember 27, 2017
I would recommend RSL as a place for rookie sales rep to get their foot in the door in the employee benefits industry... but it is probably not a long term stop... 3-5 years.
RSL is a decent company but can be very picky about what industries they want to write business in, which can make it very difficult to sell to brokers who are looking for simplicity and consolidation in this very crowded and competitive space.
Corporate has a lot of good people and the Exec team has been going thru a lot of changes...which mean there is a lot of catch up to do in regards to technology and other product advancements to keep up with competitors.
Products are comparable to competitors, though pricing may often keep you from even being considered in many opportunities.
Service is just OK... seems to run most regions and the corp office service teams were run pretty thin, which meant the busiest times of the year were a coin toss on how new sales would go at implementation.
Pros
You will find generally good people throughout the organization wanting to make it work well, If you get to 135%, you will be paid very well in comparison to the rest of the industry.
Cons
If you are t anything less than 135% of goal, your compensation will be in the bottom 25% of the industry, Overall sales culture seemed pretty pessimistic about RSL catching up in many ways.
productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19103September 14, 2017
A fast paced environment. A typical day at work in the clerical field as a claims technician would be, entering 25 or more claims in the system per day.
Customer service calls you may receive 50 or more inbound calls per day.
My most enjoyable part of this job was my supervisory position, meeting company goals and guidelines.
The hardest part of my job was to discipline an employee.
Pros
Co workers and Management where very pleasant to work with.
Cons
Only smokers could take a break at any time
Job Security
Renewal Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 25, 2017
A typical day is always the same. I currently do three jobs without backup. I try to balance my day based on email, Workflow and requests for changes and amendments. Nothing changes as there is no opportunity for growth or advancement.

The workplace culture is pretty laid back, but that is depending on who your manager is. But for the most part, if you need time off for anything it's usually given.

The hardest part of the job is getting overwhelmed with requests and knowing that there is no one that can help take up some of the slack.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people.
Pros
Work Life Environment is positive
Cons
No opportunity for growth
Great Team
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILFebruary 15, 2017
I really enjoy working with my co-workers and the client/broker interaction.
I dislike how other people's work is just pushed off to the next person, without first trying to find a solution to a problem.
Great people, magagement cares, fun
claims examiner (Current Employee) –  South Portland, MENovember 22, 2015
This company is less cut throat, less corporate, more down to earth, and more straight forward than the other, claims shops in town. It has some of the friendliest coworkers I've ever worked with. If you are having a bad day, people will ask if they can help, if you have done something well, people are right there to compliment you.

The management team is an accessible group of experienced mentors who are not afraid to roll up their sleeves when the workload warrants it.

That's not say it is a walk in the park, though. The workloads are high, and the deadlines are tight. Work hard, have fun, and feel good about your accomplishments.

Good company, great people, benefits and salary is better than most.
Pros
People, work atmosphere, no nonsense, yet fun
Cons
Buckle up, it's busy
Don't do it!!!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 5, 2015
Former employee Really poor management. They have a high turn over in staff and are not organized. If you are not in the in crowd, don't bother applying for work there.
Reliance Standard is a Wonderful Place to Work
Long Term DisabilityClaims Examiner I (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 17, 2014
Reliance Standard Life Insurance is an excellent Insurance Company offering a number of very competitive and highly valued products. The management team is an amazing group of exceptionally hard working individuals and all of the employees, particularly, examiners, are educated, experienced, well-trained adjudicators who are fair and critically minded people and a great resource to learn from and enjoyable to work with day in and day out. If you have the change, work for this company.
Co workers help you deal with job!
Admin. (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PaOctober 3, 2014
Worst place I ever worked, Director didn't have a personal life and hated anyone who did. You can't move up if your not part of the in-crowd. Compensation is below industry standard. If you can make it here you can make it anywhere. Ok start for college grads anyone else stay away especially claims!
Pros
Co workers
Cons
managent, compensation, benefits, workload
Worst company I have ever worked for
LTD Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEApril 16, 2014
It started with the training. 4 days of training. As someone who virtually had no experience in my position I was basically destined to fail from the beginning. Benefits were ok but vacation time was laughable. Management was a joke. You would be ok as long as you are buddies with your supervisor. Overall this is the worst company I have ever worked for (I am grouping in Custom Disability Solutions with this as well). I would not recommend this company to anyone. I used to work for another insurance company before RSL and they are head and shoulders above this poor excuse of a company. I left that company for more money and I have regretted it ever since.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Everything I have listed
Place was amazing until management changed, got to big to fast and turning into typical Corporate America.
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Portland, MaineDecember 23, 2013
The atmosphere is quiet, clean and overall friendly. Case loads are out of control, workflow needs to be streamlined, overall management is good with the exception of a few who make it HELL and they are not consistent with company guidelines or workflow. They are still in the paper world and sometimes duplicating or triple the steps happens. How about an image world? They make up their own rules, manipulate directors into hearing what they want to hear. Again, this is a few that are this way which ruin it for the really good managers.
Be prepared to handle every aspect of claims handling, work more hours than you are required to and if you should, heaven for bid if you leave a little early one day, but it's okay for those who have been there since the stone ages. There are some really great people there which should not be taken away from them. It's the ones who let the title of ''MANAGEMENT" go to their head.
Pros
Help in the community, pay, benefits and a few employees
Cons
Management not consistent, smokers get more rights, claims systems are behind times, no bonuses, human resources is vulnerable to manipulation
Productive workplace with fair-minded and flexible management
Medical Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 13, 2013
Underwrite individual applications for Life and Disability products and independently make calculated risk decisions on whether applicants are approved, declined or we need additional information before we make a decision.
Good Place to Start
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 22, 2012
I was hired full time after being a temp worker for a period of time. The employees here are top notch and I learned so much from them. My boss is very smart but makes weird decisons sometimes...IE how can my supervisor be someone who doesn't even know how to process claims?? This was a great place to start my career and I'm glad to have had the opportunity.
Pros
great location, good pay
Cons
healthcare premiums rise each year, incompetent supervisors
Top US Company specializing in employee insurance benefits
ASSISTANT VICE PRESIDENT BUSINESS SYSTEMS ANALYSIS (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, Pa.March 28, 2012
While employed, I managed different functions for the company, including; operations, premium collections, audit, finance, payroll and information technology staff. Always strived to improve each department that I was assigned to managed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Reliance Standard Life Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Reliance Standard Life Insurance Company Reviews by Location