Renown Health Employee Reviews

All talk and posturing with little action by top management
Healthcare Professional (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 7, 2019
Renown does a lot of posturing and profiling to ensure the PR is positive. Unfortunately, it is all eyewash. Managers are the typical cowardly, do-nothing, say-nothing, prairie dogs that look to advance within Renown or transfer to another position in another hospital by doing nothing. The misunderstood Socratic Oath of "First do no harm" is taken out of context to be "First do no harm to my career path". The result is a lack of courage, little real action, but a lot of posturing of the hospital. My impression is that the CEO has good intentions and would like to progress. Unfortunately, he is surrounded by petrified, PC, "no action is safe action", 2nd and 3rd tier managers with the typical lack of intestinal fortitude to do great things and sacrifice organizational progress for personal security. Just another hospital with cowardly lions. For the sake of Reno, I hope Renown drastically churns the pot, embraces change for the better, and encourages brave leadership while eliminating the cowardly.
Pros
Paper tiger marketing stature
Cons
Leadership and culture of do-nothing and get promoted
January 14, 2019

Thank you for your feedback and former employment. Though you no longer work with us, we take your feedback seriously and invite you to contact us at Recruitment@renown.org so that we can learn more about your experience.

Micro management in the extreme
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 9, 2018
I have been in my Admin role for approximately 12 years and I literally have dozens of recommendations. I am very good at my job but at Renown with the current CEO of the Medical Group I was micromanaged so badly and given such conflicting directions that I started to make errors and dreaded going to work everyday. I LOVE my role but Renown soured me on that and I ended up leaving.
Pros
Intelligent co-workers
Cons
Micromanagement and no possibilty of salary increases other than 3% yearly
October 3, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear of why you left your position at Renown. We will be sure to share your feedback. Thank you for your contributions and for being a part of the Renown Health team.

Lack of support from management
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 21, 2018
There was a significant lack of structure and guidance from upper management which led to a lot of miscommunication. Not all of Renown is like this and I recommend researching the department you choose before investing in them.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Too many cliques
October 22, 2018

Thank you for your honesty and insights. We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts in making this a great place to work!

Great place to begin your career
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 4, 2018
I really enjoyed my specific floor that I was on because of the people I worked with. Management was somewhat scarce though and did not always answer the questions I desired. The floor was a lot of work but I got to learn a lot to advance my career
November 6, 2018

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to know that you enjoy working at Renown. If you need additional support, please contact your manager or HR department.

Investigate before you except the position like a FBI detective
HIM Associate (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 25, 2018
I would highly recommend that the person investigate there job duties, what is expected of them, what there 30,60 and 90 days entail. Make sure you find out if it is micromanaged to a ridiculous degree. Be prepared to get trained quickly, and expected to be perfect within a few weeks. The productivity that HIM Associates is expected to perform is almost near impossible. Management is cold, and intimidating to a point where people will not speak due to loosing there job possibly. If you would like positive feedback medical records is not going to give you that. There preferred method is the put you in check. Be prepared to work your shift and and dont ask to change shifts ever.
Pros
Co-Workers were nice
Cons
Low pay, Micromanaged, Management is horrible, high turn over rate. The position should be put on a temp to hire agency
October 12, 2018

We take your concerns seriously and though you no longer work with us, we will share your feedback with the managers of medical records.

Very high turnover
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 29, 2018
This company does not value it's employees, the company has a very high turnover and it's no wonder why once you start. The recruiter provided incorrect information and the management team did not honor it. Then HR instead of helping the situation just makes matters worse and terms your employment on the miscommunication that was received, and blames the employee for the problem, and doesn't take any responsibility for the problem and feels that terming the employee is the answer to the problem. All this after you have worked months for them.
November 6, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We take your feedback seriously and will be sure to share your insights with the appropriate teams.

Fun but stressfull
Sterile Processing Tech Lead (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 30, 2018
Renown can be a great organization to work for. Most of the personal throughout the hospital are kind and are willing to teach whoever is willing to learn. The organization promotes continuing education and a person can gain a myriad of experience and credentials here but on the other hand nurses, physicians and other professionals can be rude, condescending and much pressure is applied to a person to accompolish tasks whether they are capable or not. If tolercance is not a strong characteristic in ones personality assimilating in any department can be difficult and the hourly pay is not as competitive as with other facilities that have the same position available.
Pros
badge pay for lunch, paid vacation, job security
Cons
Stressful enviroment, lack of accountability, underpaid
not all as it seems
Patient Access Representative/ Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 16, 2018
When I was first hired by Renown I was beyond excited. That lasted for a couple of months. There is so much gossip and bullying it's worse than middle school When you bring it up to management you are told to get tougher skin. They will replace you in a heartbeat and lie to cover their butts. Working 12-14 hours a day, I was lucky if I was able to take a five minute break. I did meet some wonderful providers and learn a lot of skills that will help me in future jobs.
Pros
wonderful providers/doctors, lots of experience
Cons
Bullying, gossiping, long hours with no break, poor manegment
Not a great place to work.
Senior Compliance/Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 30, 2018
Renown has a male chauvinistic culture and racists culture. Do not have good training program and vision for patient development or improvement but only charging health insurance companies and Medicare
Pros
Cons
Demoralising
January 7, 2019

We take your concerns seriously and though you no longer work with us, your feedback will be directed to the appropriate departments.

Great healthcare experience
Healthcare Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 11, 2018
Great overall experience to learn and grow in healthcare. Turnover is so high, if they don't like you and you're not part of the "in" crowd you will eventually leave but they don't really care, they know you are replaceable by another body. Benefits were not great and no work / life balance at all.
October 16, 2018

Thank you for your review. We take your concerns seriously and though you no longer work with us, we will share your feedback internally about work/life balance and benefits.

Great Place to work
Appeal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 1, 2019
Renown's business office is Supportive, Friendly and full of growth potential. Management is knowledgeable and coaches staff with priority and focus on patient comes first. Very nice place to work.
January 7, 2019

Thank you for your recommendation to work at Renown! We are so grateful for your hard work.

Great learning opportunities, and great tuition reimbursement
Patient Access Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 19, 2018
Renown is a great place to work! The leadership is available and responsive to their teams. The collaboration of departments is very good. The tuition tuition and medical benefits are great!
Pros
Good retail merchants, Starbucks and cafeteria.
Cons
Have to make time in your busy schedule to eat.
October 3, 2018

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that you are enjoyed being a part of our team!

Resigned after almost 10 years
System Administrator-Medical Staff Services (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 17, 2018
The stress level endured during the last couple years at Renown was taking a toll on me and I needed to make a change. I am pursuing a career in Real Estate but I will consider any opportunity that will give me an opportunity for growth.
October 3, 2018

We're so sorry to hear that after 10 years of being a part of the Renown Health team that you were so dissatisfied. We'll be sure to share your feedback and want to wish you all the best with your future endeavors.

Management and HR work poorly
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 10, 2018
First of all the management is awful. One day you'll think they really like you and next day they are monsters for no reason. HR stands behind management so don't even bother reporting them. They'll probably end up firing you for complaining, or find an excuse to fire you like for example, taking an extended lunch break on ONE warning. Just go apply at Saint Marys or Carson Tahoe instead.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Everything else
October 3, 2018

We take your feedback seriously and want to thank you for your review. We want to express our gratitude for the service contributed and wish all continued success with future career pursuits.

It can be an ok place to work
Patient Transport (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 23, 2018
If you like/want to work in healthcare Renown can be a good place to work or get your career started. Depending on what department you work in it might be good. My experience was that most departments were understaffed and did not have any real career progression. My jobs were also all entry level.
Pros
Interesting place to work
Cons
Understaffed and Hard to progress
Understaffed and noncaring
ER Technician (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 1, 2018
I’ve worked for Renown for awhile now, and at first it was fun, educational, and fast paced. But then you start to realize how horribly run this place is. Management will replace you in a heartbeat, they don’t care about your well being, they demand more and more out of you while they push surveys and scores at you because their bonuses are affected by these. They get compensated the harder you work for them. Nurses are well understaffed on every floor, slammed with multiple patients which isn’t fair for them or the patients. It just isn’t safe. Ask any employee or traveler who’s come through here, Renown is one of the LOWEST paying hospitals and by far one of the busiest. If you try going to HR with any complaint or concern they immediately turn it on you and will defend management to no end. Again, you’re replaceable (though with the understaffing there they just don’t replace you at all and everyone is forced to work harder). Any accusation you bring up is met with hostility and they’ll look for any reason to write you up and get you out of there. Trust me i’ve seen it happen to multiple people. All in all this place just does not care whatsoever about their employees or patients for that matter. Everything is just numbers and dollars to them.
Pros
Coworkers are mostly nice
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Excellent employer, focused and supportive. Accomplished much
Executive Consultant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 19, 2018
Working with Senior leadership and middle management in an ongoing basis. Days were long, as the planning and project work was significant. Culture was very strong, supportive and inclusive. Enjoyable experience all around.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
You're always gonna have a job.
Anesthesia Technician (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 17, 2018
Reno is getting busier and busier. You're guarantee job security, but the pay is one of the things that renown is known for. Lvl 2 hospital? But yet they don't pay enough. I work in surgery and we are always busy. Sometimes under staff. There's days nurses or scrub techs don't get breaks. They hire travel nurses even though they'll leave in a few months? Not helping on the future. Why not pay the current nurses and techs more and you're guaranteed they won't leave. Renowns excuse is that they give back to the community. All I see is more renown urgent cares and offices being built. I can't complain about the student reimbursement, it's awesome they offer that.
Pros
Paying for school, experience
Cons
No brekas, under pay
Strange place! Favoritism is king!
Credentialed Epic Principal Trainer - Non-Clinical (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 28, 2018
Not that impressed by this place. Its highly unorganized and there are too many staff in place so its extremely boring. They love to have forced group outings and if you don't participate you suddenly feel like the unpopular person in high school again. I would come back to this place for anything. They keep trying to be something they are not. Every "benefit" they offer comes with a condition. Do it if you really need work. Otherwise, keep looking somewhere else.
Pros
Management is easy to approach
Cons
They don't listen! Boring and nothing to challenge you.
Renown Internship
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Reno, NevadaMarch 8, 2018
During my time at Renown I did a variety of duties, including but not limited to; patient advocate, patient care, Registered Nurse shadowing and medication administration studies. The management was great as well as the workplace culture. The hardest part of the job is getting attached to patients.
Pros
Breaks, lunch room
Cons
low staffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Renown Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight