Renown Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
It's not a secret
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 10, 2018
If you work at Renown or know anyone who has worked at Renown everyone says the same thing. Low Pay for heavy workload, management is always under pressure which in turn puts you under pressure. Constantly short staffed because of heavy turn over rate. The hospital is nice, good equipment, good doctors and staff but I would not recommend working there long term, temporary it is good for experience, but they will place you in situations that could jeopardize your license.
Pros
A lot of experience
Cons
No money and very poor morale
Great Place with a Roller Coaster ride.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  850 Harvard WayApril 3, 2018
I have worked at Renown in the Same department for 5 years I loved it at first. When working at Renown be ready for lots of change. If you do not like change do not apply.
Great place to get your foot in the door
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 27, 2018
Management there is bleh, wage is terrible. No way to advance in my department. They will bleed you dry and not give out vacation days. Sure i have vacation hours, but it is usually a NO on vacation even giving months in advance notice.
Benefits
Cons
Poor leadership/management/ director
Great experience
ER nurse (Former Employee) –  Reno NvMarch 10, 2018
It's a lot of work. They gave me great training and experience. However we were often under staffed and wages do not meet the level of expertise required. Also they will keep your PTO if you quit, even when leaving on goo terms with 2 weeks notice. It's company policy.
Pros
Great staff and docs
Cons
not competitive wages
Horrible place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 2, 2018
This company is the lowest paying company in town, yet demands the most from its employees. Employees are treated as disposable, nothing but a number, and they will look for reasons to discipline their staff so they can not transfer to other departments.
Pros
Cons
Don't expect a team atmosphere or breaks
Good place to work. Big business.
Clinical Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 26, 2018
A good place to work. Good benefits. Fast paced and cutting edge of medicine.

My case against was lack of advancement. Clinical Director was not personable and not welcoming.

My direct supervisor on the other hand was great.
Pros
Best if you have a good manager.
Cons
Lack of nurturing to potential.
Great Place to Work, Until it Isn't
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 18, 2018
The first couple of years working at this hospital were very rewarding. Supervisors and staff were extremely helpful in becoming adjusted to the fast paced environment that has comes with a vast scope of practice, compared to other places in the state.

However, as time progresses, the amount of work that is required to be performed does not match the level of compensation received. There is a sentiment, among direct patient care workers, that upper management (CEO level), does not see us as valuable assets, rather people doing a job and hourly pay reflects that sentiment.

Increased work loads with minimal staff have become the norm, to which the solution is bringing in travelers and who's pay is roughly double what the core staff makes. This does improve patient care, yet it does nothing to improve morale among those who have put in years of time trying to make this hospital what it is, a high acuity level II trauma center, that provides excellent patient centered care.

The turn over is high, but allows for fast paced ascension if one chooses to. Collaboration between units and other disciplines is great and everyone understands that we are a team and have something valuable to offer. From the Environmental Service workers to the most experienced MDs, there is a sense that we are in it together and one cannot effectively do their job without the other. If only the people with hold of the purse strings knew how many good people they have lost due to increased living costs in the area (due to the Tesla Giga factory and no new housing built to handle the increase
  more... population growth) and flatline pay that has plagued this hospital for years.  less
productive
FNS Porter (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 28, 2018
food and nutrition services was a fast working environment teamwork was highly necessary.
hardest part of job was making sure everything was cleaned properly.
Not enough benefits
Cardiac Monitor Technician/Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 25, 2018
Very stressful. poor management. We were not compensated for what we do. They make us do sitter jobs even though we were unit secretaries, it was never part of our job description, to walk patients, very unsafe for both patients and us.
Productive workplace for volunteers.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 22, 2018
Volunteering at Renown in the emergency department is fast-paced and enjoyable. It is an experience where I have learned so much from and have recommended so many others to join.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 21, 2018
Great place to work, very competitive, community oriented. Lots of meetings, continued online learning. Management very involved in all aspects of staff workings, including productivity and quality.
Really fun to work with, people are nice and is quick paced
Medical Assistant Externship (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVJanuary 12, 2018
As am extern here, I had a fun time learning new things and being able to put myself out there and be able to apply my skills. Everyone treats you nicely.
Pros
Break times were 30min to 1hr
Cons
Manager wasn’t available at certain times
Overworked, underpaid, poor management
RN (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 10, 2018
Pays their RN’s less than every other hospital here. Management is horrible, discriminates openly against you if you have a health problem, and pays favoritism to employees who will go out drinking with them and/or come in and work 7 days a week. Always denies time off requests. Employs nurses that will not even follow best practice unless it’s convenient for them. No weekend shift differential. Only good thing about them is the cafeteria which is only decent until you’re sick to your stomach from it an hour later.
Pros
Some decent cafeteria food
Cons
Everything else
Walker a lot of milesdaily
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 11, 2017
The days were always different different you never knew what to expect,assist in the Emergency room,taking gurneys to the helicopter pad assist EMT with patient to the ER, help secure unruly patients and lots more.
Pros
exciting moving, time went by fast
Cons
N/a
Amazing experience and learning opportunity
Hospital Intern (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 10, 2017
This was an amazing experience that increased my medical knowledge and intrapersonal skills. I made important buisness connections in my time here and was treated fairly and with respect.
health care
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 17, 2017
fast paste, very friendly, attendance policy sucks.
not good benefits, not paid enough .
hardest part of my job was deal with rude patients.
.........................
Nice work environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 13, 2017
Does not feel like a hospital with how new and beautiful it is. Staff is welcoming and friendly. Management is fair and tries to work with your schedule. Fast paced so day flies by.
Good place to work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 5, 2017
A decent place to work. Majority of management was decent caliber. Benefits were good for private sector healthcare. Pay, on the other hand, was not that great, maybe because of being in Reno, NV.
Great Place to Work
Critical Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 16, 2017
Great benefits, the co workers make it a great place to work. Flexible schedules. The hiring process takes a really long time and if you apply online you have to keep checking your online portal to see if your applications got denied or not. Other than that it was an overall great place to work
Pros
Benefits, flexible schedule
Cons
Pay could be better
Overworked and underpaid
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 10, 2017
Expected to work off the clock, very low pay for RNs, administration against giving staff raises, huge retention problem, not many core staff, mostly travelers and new grads, 15 hour days no breaks, no lunch. No break nurse to provide staff with breaks and lunches, unsafe staffing ratios
Cons
Overworked and underpaid