Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Employee Reviews

Boring, layed back work place
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 31, 2019
You just sit there, there isn't nothing to do. Do a basic patrol every hour and that's it. You can read, listen to music. Other than that, you can't be on your phone.
Excellent experience to be on the teaching side
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 15, 2019
It is a totally different experience to be on the opposite side of the table. Being a student all this life, being an assistant to the professor showed me how much difficult task teaching is. I learned to manage a large class, how to grade assignments so that students are evaluated fairly, and how to manage personal time with this job in hand. The most difficult job is to be fair and equal to everyone, whether you know the student or not.
Pros
Fsir Compensation
Difficult but rewarding
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 6, 2019
Worked alone on designing a polymer fabricator and characterizer. This was a student research position so it completely based on my own availability and was heavily research based.
Productive and fun workplace
Research Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 17, 2018
The workplace culture is very different when you're used to you're old work place. But if you worked hard enough you'll get through it. Always in the beginning it seems hard, but middle way through it's not so hard when you get devoted to your work.
Work Study Student
Federal Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYNovember 29, 2018
Was a work study student freshman year and allowed me to get some homework done whilst earning some extra money. very easy process to get the paperwork set up.
lab is intensive and cool
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYNovember 5, 2018
I mainly worked in lab and I think everyone has their own interest in NLP research and everyone is excited about what they are doing. Although it's sometimes intensive, it's a good place to do research.
Was long and challenging day,
Master's Thesis (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYSeptember 11, 2018
Great challenges and hardworking individuals. It is a difficult school and it is proven to challenge anyone who attends. The labs are in great condition with up to date technology
No advancement opportunities
Office of the Vice President (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 22, 2018
Put a potato on the payroll, it will get the same salary increase as you. The Institute is so in debt, it has to come up with over $200 million when the bonds come due in 2020. If you are faculty, you walk on water - if you are staff (no matter at what level) you are completely expendable.
good part time job
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 9, 2018
I left industry to go back to school. At RPI, as with many other schools, they offer TA assistantships to cover the day to day costs and fund tuition.

The Mathematics department was very supportive.
Pros
graduate tuition covered
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 2, 2018
I worked there as a postdoctoral research fellow for two years. The school is highly reputed. And most of the students graduated seems to be able to get some decent jobs.

The lab condition where I worked is horrible, feels totally like a third world place. It is very noisy, and super hot in summer, while very cold in winter.

My mentor seems not have enough funds, and since other postdoctoral before me also work in those kind of conditions, so I cannot complain.

But the mentor himself is very professional all the time, just not the work condition.
Renssalaer Institute
ASSISTANT VICE PRESIDENT HUMAN RESOURCES (Former Employee) –  RensselaerJuly 26, 2018
The VP of HR primary interest was controlling. a problem with any discussion that he did initiate,
The organization was positive although the immediate boss created problems,
The staff of HR was a excellent team of employees
Pros
The President was a great leader
Cons
The VP was horrible
Review
Coach (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJuly 13, 2018
Great people to work with, great place to live, but the organization of the leadership never seemed in-sync with the institution. It was difficult to understand the decisions that were made at time.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Leadership
Ok place to work
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJuly 6, 2018
Wasn't a huge fan of working here. Being a graduate teaching assistant was fun while in graduate school but my PI was less than ideal. Would definitely recommending doing your research on the school
not sure what to say
Assistant Women's Ice Hockey Coach (Former Employee) –  Troy NYJune 25, 2018
It is an excellent place to work would reccomend it to others. It has a very flexible work environment and a very competitive athletic department. A lot of fun..
Graduate Student
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJune 6, 2018
Fairly low graduate stipend, lots of research opportunities, but not a lot of teaching opportunities. Must choose research advisor and research project carefully.
Depends on where you work
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJune 5, 2018
It all depends on where you work, some places are far better than others. I worked in a department that was not as flexible and some would say it wasn't an easy place to work.
Pros
Pto, Benefits
Cons
Stressful
Visit and take the tour.
Associate Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMay 17, 2018
Fast paced, intense work environment, but in our division we were encouraged to "take care of ourselves" in terms of work-life balance.

The president is a hard driving, high achiever with high expectations of her faculty and staff, but there's ALWAYS clear and direct goals and strategy developed to put you in a position to do your job with the necessary resources.
Pros
Great campus environment among staff. Benefits. World Class place.
Cons
Leadership can be misunderstood due to high expectations.
Challenging, fulfilling job but not for everyone
Senior Business Administrator (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYMay 10, 2018
I enjoy the work and my direct report supervisor is very good but working in two locations is quite stressful with competing priorities. My off-site supervisor is very difficult to work with. I have never fared well in a setting where I am micro managed. I have always worked well on my own but being placed in a situation where I at times had to train myself how to do all aspects of the job has led to a fair amount of frustration and somewhat impeded my growth in the position.
Pros
Fun work atmosphere at campus location
Cons
Mirco managed and very tense work environment at off-campus location
Work study is as work study does
Student Learning and Living, Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 18, 2018
This is your typical work study job in an engineering department. You hang posters, make appointments for students, design posters, help coordinate student events, etc.
Pros
Incredibly flexible hours
Cons
not many hours a week(~10)
Not an place that places a high value on providing necessary resources and has no balance between work and personal work
Student Life (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 5, 2018
Rensselaer is not a company that places a high value on providing necessary resources and has no balance between work and personal work. More work and longer hours are always expected with no recognition or additional compensation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Reviews by Location