Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Review
Coach (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJuly 13, 2018
Great people to work with, great place to live, but the organization of the leadership never seemed in-sync with the institution. It was difficult to understand the decisions that were made at time.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Leadership
Ok place to work
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJuly 6, 2018
Wasn't a huge fan of working here. Being a graduate teaching assistant was fun while in graduate school but my PI was less than ideal. Would definitely recommending doing your research on the school
not sure what to say
Assistant Women's Ice Hockey Coach (Former Employee) –  Troy NYJune 25, 2018
It is an excellent place to work would reccomend it to others. It has a very flexible work environment and a very competitive athletic department. A lot of fun..
Graduate Student
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJune 6, 2018
Fairly low graduate stipend, lots of research opportunities, but not a lot of teaching opportunities. Must choose research advisor and research project carefully.
Depends on where you work
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJune 5, 2018
It all depends on where you work, some places are far better than others. I worked in a department that was not as flexible and some would say it wasn't an easy place to work.
Pros
Pto, Benefits
Cons
Stressful
Challenging, fulfilling job but not for everyone
Senior Business Administrator (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYMay 10, 2018
I enjoy the work and my direct report supervisor is very good but working in two locations is quite stressful with competing priorities. My off-site supervisor is very difficult to work with. I have never fared well in a setting where I am micro managed. I have always worked well on my own but being placed in a situation where I at times had to train myself how to do all aspects of the job has led to a fair amount of frustration and somewhat impeded my growth in the position.
Pros
Fun work atmosphere at campus location
Cons
Mirco managed and very tense work environment at off-campus location
Work study is as work study does
Student Learning and Living, Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 18, 2018
This is your typical work study job in an engineering department. You hang posters, make appointments for students, design posters, help coordinate student events, etc.
Pros
Incredibly flexible hours
Cons
not many hours a week(~10)
Not an place that places a high value on providing necessary resources and has no balance between work and personal work
Student Life (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 5, 2018
Rensselaer is not a company that places a high value on providing necessary resources and has no balance between work and personal work. More work and longer hours are always expected with no recognition or additional compensation.
Work itself is fun, but poor management
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 28, 2018
Tons of forms have to be submitted biweekly before the salary can be paid. Colleagues are friendly, and they usually help you whenever you need. Generally a nice working.
Enable Students and Faculty to Change the World
Professional Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 6, 2018
Visionary leadership, high expectations, and latitude to develop creative solutions are hallmarks of working for this institution. The hardest part of the job is that there is an unending amount of work to do. Ironically, that is also one of the best parts of the job. Hands down best part of the job is getting to support the smartest students, faculty and researchers in the world.
Pros
Latitude to develop creative solutions
Cons
Workload can be challenging
Great college for engineers
MBA Director/ Sr Admin'r/Inst'r (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 24, 2018
Great college; loved working at the Troy location. The collaborative work was inviting. New ideas were not always heard, but they were allowed to be offered.
Pros
Excellent use of my skill set
Cons
Change in chief officers results often in turn over
University built on the backs of their students
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 21, 2018
The student employees are treated poorly, having to work in situations with minimal instruction or experience and then receiving less than helpful comments from superiors when requesting advice. Would not recommend.
Horrible
Business Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 16, 2018
Great job if all you want to do is clock in, be bored for 8 hours, then go home. There's no room for advancement. I had to fight for a title change and salary increase (which was still way below the market salary for that position). Was looked down upon because I did not have a higher level degree (I have my Bachelor's).

Overall a very toxic place to work. Other departments might be better.

Benefits were pretty good, which was probably the only perk.
Pros
Very Relaxed, Benefits
Cons
No advancement, Egos, Toxic work environment
Was alright
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Work was relatively relaxed, with supervisors checking in infrequently. They generally just want to know you're doing a good job. Breaks are allowed and frequent, and compensation is fair.
Good environment to do research and develop new ideas
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 1, 2018
RPI is an educational institute which is completely different industries. In general, in educational institutes people are more open to work on the topics of their interest, in addition to the works related to the funds. However, the most time consuming is to write proposal and being funded for development of new ideas.
Pleasant place to work
Administrative Specialist/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 4, 2018
oldest technological university. relaxed work atmosphere. quiet office. science & tech institute. family oriented work place. job security provided. secured building.
Research Assistant
Part-Time Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 2, 2018
I have two research assistant experience in Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. I left professors a good impression and my research professors helped me a lot.
Great people to work with
AVP, Research Administration and Finance (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYDecember 11, 2017
Finances were a bit tight, but people are very collaborative. The people who work there have been there for years and really have a close affinity to RPI.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Finances are tight so staffing is tight
Regular Teaching Assistant job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 11, 2017
Required to grade assignments and exams.
Need to hold office hours.
Need to proctor quizes and exams.
Experience and worload will vary from course to course.
Healthy Work for research
Research Student and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYSeptember 24, 2017
Great university with excellent faculty having various research areas to work upon as a grad student

Research work done is exciting and helps to dissolve boundary between work and fun