Rent-A-Center Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

Found 35 reviews matching the search See all 4,310 reviews
tough place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60618June 16, 2019
always had to achieve your goals very hard on customers upper mangement did not care only wanted results did not work with customers
alot of turnover due to lack of training
I cannot get the bad taste of this company out of my mouth.
Credit Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 18, 2018
This company has shown me the ugly side of sales. I started this job as a place to kind of get my foot in the door into what I thought would be a valuable life changing experience in a place that I believed would value me as a worker. What I actually found was a company that Thrives in the unhappiness of its coworkers.
If you work here, expect hours that make it IMPOSSIBLE to have an outside life, a schedule dictated by how well people that don't have money pay you and a ridiculous management system that has ZERO empathy for anyone below them because, "When I had this job the company was extremely profitable."
This kind of business is dying and the company refuses to see this and treat what's left of its coworkers as children.
Pros
PTO. like, 4 days for every year
Cons
Way too many to count but mainly the hours, 9AM to 7PM and more than likely later than that five days a week.
Try it you will like it
Assitant Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2018
Good job to work it s learning experience I learned a lot of information and to sale. Organize the store also make your day is put together with all the things you to do along with getting deliveries done.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Good
Mover (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 30, 2018
It’s was fine until my manager relocated me because I was going for the C.A.R position but Got tricked into going because my boss lied and said I was get to Indianapolis and that wasn’t the case at all
Pros
Good for exercising
Cons
The pay is very bad
Great job experience
Assitant Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2018
I enjoy the environment. and the company they are great. I learn to how to answer phones pay bills and also multitask and sales calls also billing stock redoing store.
Pros
great learning position
Cons
getting sales are hard sometime
Fast paced place of employment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 1, 2018
Employer where time management is an absolute must. Does offer great benefits and employee options for self improvement. Will say that hours required at work depends on store location
You will make money by giving up your personal life
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2018
Competitive work environment that requires 50+ hours per week. The job is physically , mentally, and emotionally challenging.

I had some great relationships while working there, and faced many cut-throat employees that wanted to advance at any cost.

The rent to own industry is not for everyone, and I chose to leave in the end. I am very grateful for the training and experience I received while working there, and the relationships that I made with customers and coworkers.

Advancement is a double edged sword. You can advance very quickly if you are good at collections and sales, but Store Managers generally do not have long tenure as balancing sales and collections in the rent to own industry is very dependent on trends and many other factors that are beyond a manager's control.

I would never take back the time that I spent at Rent a Center, and wish all those that work there the very best.
Pros
customer and coworker relationships, benefits, pay, training, and advancement
Cons
Long hours, competitive culture, labor intensive, high turnover
my job
Mover/ Utility Person (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60607December 5, 2017
keeping the floor clean organize the furniture assemble the furniture
assist the driver with deliveries it was disorganized and the management was not consistence
a great place to work if you are into putting things together and fixing some things..
Personal Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  chicago,illinoisAugust 10, 2017
a typical day at rent a center , come in clock in log in to do early morning call outs for payments once done with that check the log sheet to see if any deliveries are up for the day , check the times call each customer to confirm delivery..Once the delivery is confirmed we begin to prep what ever it is being delivered (living room set, bedroom set, tv, computer etc.. Once prepped pack the truck with the merchandise , deliver to customer and also set the merchandise up for the customer..
Pros
a good job to stay in shapee because you are always consistently moving..
Cons
sometimes the customers can be hassle far as paying on time and its our job to make sure they pay
fun place to work and meet new people
Customer Acct. Rep (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2017
enjoyed the time i was there, just was no room for advancement, someone had to leave for you to get promoted or you would have to change locations benefits were ok
benefits
Cons
advanment
productive work environment
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2016
Rent A Center, provided customer services for those who had basic needs for home entertainment, my co-workers were friendly, and management was patience.
Pros
opportunity for growth
allowed to leave store on lunch break
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2016
Met some great customers learned P&L - Profit and loss projections Rental agreements, wonderful past management some great co-workers the hardest part of the job was getting the merchandise back in good condition and on time payments the most enjoyable part of the job helping people that could not afford to pay
Pros
Competitive pay, Benefits
Cons
horrible collection procedures, lack of storage for inventory
Not a career job.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2016
The turnover rate of employees for this company is out the roof. The responsibility level on management compared to compensation in pay is very far apart.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
new management every year...
Sales/Collections
Customer Service Associate / Collections (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 18, 2015
This is a high energy position where sales and numbers are the main focus. Long hours are demanded and job security is minimum upon performance.
All or Nothing
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2015
I gained a wealth of knowledge about business, customer service, and great leadership here. Unfortunately, the work life balance was not so great! 12-14 hour days 6 days a week for 4 years can really wear you down. I needed to take leave to take care of personal medical issues, and subsequently chose not to return.
Pros
Training and development
Cons
No work life balance
interacting with the customers,great coworkers,
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago , ILSeptember 9, 2015
Arriving at the store at 9am to make sure it was open by 10am.Then make sure the bank deposit was ready to go to the bank ,and get the cash draw ready for the day to day operations also made sure my staff understood there pacific goals for the day. Proceeded to do business by selling of merchandise, open up new rental agreements ,doing collection procedures by calling past due customers ,receiving in new merchandise for the store by adding it to the inventory, and much more. The end of the day I would make sure the cash draw was placed into the safe enter the end of the day procedures into the computer on high touch set the alarm lock the gates and the work day is over. What I learned : Hiring of staff ,training of staff ,inventory management ,P&L ,customer service ,placing orders for new merchandise and receiving in new merchandise and putting it on to the inventory ,stocking and balancing of the merchandise ,also placing merchandise into service if need ,receiving merchandise from service and placing it back on to the inventory ,Management: always changing. Co-workers: good and bad . Hardest par of the job collections
Pros
employee purchasing at cost, always off on Sundays
Cons
not being able to take vacation during the holidays, and only able to take one week at time
Fast Paced and great pay, but long hours
Customer Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2015
If you are looking for a job that is fast paced and has a great starting pay rate this is for you, but if you dont like long hours and lifting throughout the day then this may not be the job for you
Pros
one hour lunches, great starting pay
Cons
Heavy lifting, Minimum Job Security
Counter-productive workplace with n room for advancement.
Customer Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 27, 2015
Rent A Center culture has continued to employ and back unproductive, anti-customer Management. Learned a plethora of info about the Rent to Own industry.
Pros
Excellent Corporate structure.
Cons
Management uneducated, and unproductive.
productive and fun
Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2014
Typical day was ve hard work sales and he customers decide on what they really want.
Productive and team oriented company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 20, 2014
A typical day with rent-a-center included making calls to all past due accounts and setting up a payment or a pick-up of the merchandise, meeting daily credit standards, ensuring bank deposits were made before 11 am, getting reporst from host store showing all credit denials and reaching out to them to generate a sale, making calls to all paid off accounts to generate sales, ensuring all files were up to date. I had the opportunity to work with some of the best people with this company, upper management was amazing and always a phone call away. The hardest part of this job was keeping up with both credit and sales standards on a monthly basis. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with the customers to better their quality of life with their furniture purchase.
Pros
Excellent benefits and pay
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rent-A-Center. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K
31.3K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Rent-A-Center.

Powered by Comparably