Rent-A-Center Employee Reviews in Columbus, OH

Found 26 reviews matching the search See all 4,181 reviews
Poor Management /
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 17, 2019
During my employment through ANOW I had up and downs. I would have to say the worse thing ever is they push sales down your throat . Which I had no problem closing deals . But I think they need to have more a balance .No sales walk mentality . For collections which you also do in side the store. Then they cant understand why your credit ( collections )get out of control. Then push more sales down your throat to balance your credit. She treats everyone like they are replacable no matter how hard you work . Also , in store you will market by using existing customers , cold calls and any other resources at your finger tips . The easy part is your reports doing p and l review and reviewing all your indicators and weekly and daily paper work . Account management ! Another challenge is there are only 2 to 4 people( according to size of store) working in a store which has its positives and its negatives. But as a sales manager you have to call another store for help it can make it incredibly difficult to get help at times .
Pros
Bonus and most of my customers
Cons
Poor management and training
The best company ever to work for
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 7, 2018
Love working for this coming and all the management team and the District manager is the best person to work for. I highly recommend anybody to come and work for this company.
Micro-management and petty coworker
Customer Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 26, 2018
picture this you go into work only to meet a spiteful glare being told you don't understand your job even though you consistently are in top 5 in the district that's my Rent A Center not all of them but mine we have the lowest moral employees all have something against each other for trivial and spiteful reason and no amount of optimism can fix I I`ve been to other Rent-A-Centers and the atmosphere is completely different so it all depends where you land it may be a great of horrible experience based on your coworkers
Great place to work for
Customer Service /Driving and Moving (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 20, 2017
Great place to work for a lot of Minute Oil hours you do have to deal with repossessing customers merchandise so sometimes that can get challenging but for the most part great place to work
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Working alot pf hours
Fun place to work... until you are carrying a refrigerator up apartment stairs by yourself.
Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 15, 2017
Very poor morale within company. Unprofessional. Favoritism is a very big problem within company. You perform well 3 weeks straight and get a pat on the back. Your numbers slip by 0.1% above company avg one week and your getting a confidential office meeting with your store manager.
Stressful and Micromanaging
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 8, 2017
Rent A Center used to be a challenging entrepreneurial place to work. Over the years it became a place focused mainly on numbers and less on people. The micromanaging took away ones feeling of empowerment which has led to job dissatisfaction. I am forever grateful for the opportunities I had that provided for myself and my family but left in order to pursue a better culture and opportunities to grow and lead.
Is a great place
Customer Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 18, 2017
The work environment is great the people you get to know and meet is great while still maintaining a good work flow and coworkers keep you pushing and make you keep doing better
Overall. Extremely low paying poorly managed co
Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 18, 2017
Overall witching the culture is pre prinotired to prospective employers as a quick paced room for growth family oriented culture. However. They lack proper training. Greatly underpay stafff. The culture within is extremely stressful due to the fact outbid four person full time staff, account rep, sales manager, credit manager., and store manager. The fact managers all earn salary. While everyone else is hourly employees delegated to learning solely what store managers choose to train you on. The culture promoters competition within which stagnates growth in turn their turnover rate is so ugh due to lower pay wages, poor work conditions, and poor management.
Pros
Start up job Easy
Cons
They use employees
Money hungry
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 5, 2017
Due to company policy and procedure, I was forced to sale over priced (4.5x original cost and some as high as 6.5x) merchindise to customers that everyone knew couldn't afford it. When I tried to question this, I was told by senior management "It is not your job to tell our customers what they can afford. You will know they can't afford it when they stop making their payments.". My problem with that answer was that by the time they stop paying, the items are already in their homes and if the item/items did not have at least $1,000 (my cost), all we could do was call them and knock on their door 2x a day.
Job isnt great at all
DELIVERY DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 11, 2017
This job does half the work to sell customers the product
Management do not care for the employees if there get hurt or injury on the job.
No benefits offer with this job
Fun and productive workplace
Customer Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 27, 2016
Great, friendly staff. Professional environment, very organized and detail oriented. Typical day at work is like being with family. Loved my experience.
plain and simple just not the right company for me.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 5, 2016
no time for yourself kiss your personal life goodbye. poor management as well. and don't promote within.just a terrible place.cant believe I wasted my life there..
Pros
Cons
no personal time
Great Benefits and Pay.
Store Manger (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 30, 2016
I have forgotten more about Rent A Center than I can put here. Being in Management was very very stressful but the pay and benefits were great.
Fun and creative challange
Financial Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 3, 2016
I was able to learn Marketing, put knowledge to collections be creative to promotions as a store Manager I was able to grow in the company as an Employee and as a Person
Pros
Great Oportunities of Growth
Cons
low pay rate
Good, company with go management and job security
Lead Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 19, 2016
The job/work life balance working for rentacenter is not for someone who has family, Monday thru Friday 9am-7:30pm an Saturdays 8:30am-6pm
Pros
Employee purchase program
Cons
Hours, Pay
fun place
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 5, 2015
come in and checked by emails since I was the one of the emailed team supervisor had to answered over 100 emails a day. I also took care of escalated calls and took care of customer as needed.
Pros
some times
Cons
plenty of breaks
Productive and very enjoyable enviroment
Customer Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus OhioOctober 15, 2015
I was a car assoc. my jobs were very difficult but very rewarding the customers is what made this the most enjoyable that and my employer was very relaxed and reliable
Long days
Credit/Collections Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 15, 2014
Lots of lifting and bending carrying driving. You deal with a lot of crazy things but its not all the time that you do. You have some good managers you will have some bad managers. You will have good days you will have bad days. this job can turn you best day into your worst and vice versa. Your co workers make the job worth it though. You build lots fo friendships with co workers you do a lot of traveling you do have numbers to meet you have to make sure that your collecting pmts from customers who have rented merch. and its divided up between yourself and others depending on the size of the store. Lots of eating on the road or the go. long days your day ends at 8 and it begins at 10 or sometime 9. Its a fast paced job so the time goes by fast. They really love to promote and they promote from within. Benefits are good not great but good a little too expensive and you get 2 days off and you get overtime a each week which helps in the paycheck dept.
Pros
Benefits advancement co workers
Cons
hours working conditions (customers homes)
Very demanding work, Nature of business was not for me
Customer Account Manager (Former Employee) –  columbus, ohJanuary 20, 2014
I did not enjoy my job at rent a center because daily I was exposed to living conditions that I was uncomfortable being in considering I had to repossess equipment and merchandise from behind customers.
Pros
Guaranteed off sundays
Cons
short breaks, long work day.
Productive and Fun working atomosphere
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus OHNovember 19, 2013
Renting merchandise and collecting payments or merchandise
Delivering merchandise to customers home and ensuring all merchandise is in excellent condition

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rent-A-Center. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K
31.2K

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight