Rent-A-Center Employee Reviews in Indianapolis, IN

Found 22 reviews matching the search See all 4,185 reviews
Dealing with Low income people
Assistant Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 15, 2019
Rent A Center takes advantage of low income people in my opinion. So trying to collect was very hard they cant give you what they don't have and so that was one of the reasons why I left the company
Pros
Relaxed Working environment
Cons
You Work every Saturady
fast paced, quick changing environment
Store Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 4, 2018
i think that with the pay at other retail companies that rent a center is comparable, hardest part of the job is collections, culture is high stress, i did learn alot on this job and got promoted quickly, my managers for my district were great, kind, supportive and willling to so called get their hands dirty
Pros
quick advancement if apply yourself and put in alot of extra effort
Cons
stressful, very fast paced, as management no breaks
Very poor experience
Assistant Manager Over Sales (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 13, 2018
Over worked under paid, very little training. Culture was cut throat hardest parts are the hours enjoyable part was when you got off. I would not suggest this to anyone.
Rent-a-Center Avoid this if possible
Leasing Agent and Delivery (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 30, 2018
A typical day at Rent -A-Center would go as followed . I would start my day around 8am which would consist of making any deliveries on the board . around midday I would go into my call lists trying to track down customers who have not made their weekly payment . Or who have been absent for over x amount of time . and end my day around 8pm after clean of the showroom floor . What I have Learn during my time at Rent-A-Center is to never be a customer .knowing the tricks they use if I want something i'll go buy it . Management at my store was enjoyable to work with . the GM however was rigid cold hearted and ruthless . which expects the Impossible out of each employee And took shear delight of reminding you that your career is in their hands and if you do not perform to their liking you are terminated. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was let go .
Former Account Manager
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 3, 2018
The company is high stress for little return. Scheduled for 40 hours/week? Plan on working 50+. Customers unwilling to pay their bill or return merchandise? Expect management to blame you and work an extra 4 hours on a Saturday night.
Great
Delivery Driver/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 20, 2018
It was honestly one of the greatest jobs I have ever worked at. If I had the opportunity to get the job back as a full time job and higher pay i would take the job back.
Poor practices and leadership
DEPENDS (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 26, 2018
Once hired in your home life is not important to them or spending time with your family. They do not follow through with anything as far as a course of action to make you successful and theres NO COMMUNICATION at all . If you are injured on the job they do not respect doctors orders for restrictions and justify any wrongs they do or may have done . Instead of training they throw you out to do whatever is needed at that time completely going away from why you even took the job in the first place . Its not a fun environment and its alot of micro managing and no professionalism towards employees. Family is not important in ANY WAY and they dont tell u from the beginning that you pretty much have no life other than the job once started . i wouldnt recommend the job to anyone at this point unless you want a job with no goals set for employees to balance home and work . They believe that money is everyone's focus yet theres truly no real incentive for anyone other than a store manager . i like working hard and earning every dime i make ,but for a company that appreciates and applauds true effort and passion for a job rather than the BUDDY SYSTEM that continues to allow those who do not give maximum effort a true chance to grow within the company . PEOPLE DONT LEAVE JOBS THEY LEAVE MANAGERS so treat EVERYONE with the same respect that you want to be given . SIMPLE yet appears to be very hard and challenging for the "managers" in this company . Most of them are rude and do not respect their employees but expect you to be professional in regards to how you treat them . The minute u  more... speak up for yourself they try and use their authority and terminate you when in reality you're defending yourself from days and months of ridiculous and a number of smart comments and disrespect yet they wonder what turns employees attitudes bad and keeps turnover HIGH .  less
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Lack of PROFESSIONALISM and poor leadership in management
Friendships among management (store to district) helped dismiss the obvious abuse handed down from the store manager.
Customer Rep/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 17, 2017
I would not recommend this job to anyone, ever. Coworker were force to work dangerous conditions and schedules were constanly changed without regards to employees prior commitment s.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Bad management, abuse of employees and forced into extremely dangerous situations.
Horrible place for a person with a family
Lead Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 20, 2017
The hours are not flexible. You are required to work every weekend. If the collection goals are not met, we are required to stay late nights and run by customers homes. Rent-A-Center teaches its team to practice illegal collections practices. We are required to call a persons reference twice a week even if the reference request for us not to call. An employee who refuses to do such practices or placed on an action plan for termination. The CEO had all employees sign to agree not to do such practices but lower management will terminate you if its not done. The company is very unorganized. The management team is never on the same page.
Pros
benefits, competitive pay
Cons
work/life balance, illegal collections practices
Advencement
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 9, 2017
The best part of RAC, is that they only promote from within. The turn-over is so high that there are always advancement opportunities.

The pay is ok to start. But if you can manage numbers and carry a tv up stairs, then there is an opening for you.

Just remember, you are overcharging people who suck at using money. If you have no conscience, then this might be the place for you.
Pros
advancement
Cons
nasty customers, little time off
it wasnt to bad
Customer Service Representative/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 11, 2017
My overall experience wasn't to bad just doing the job up north in the snow and ice wasn't fun at all. I would go back if they up the pay to $11 an hr. Not only are you doing delivery you are selling and collecting and telemarketing and cleaning other peoples filth when they are returned.Then turn around and re sell. I am sorry $9 an hr was not enough for the amount of duties they want you to perform.
Productive and fun work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 15, 2015
There is lots of ways to advance at Rent A Center, and I enjoy working here but the hours are long and I am looking for higher pay now that I will be graduating college this year.
Repetitive, but competitive.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 2, 2015
I had a great experience working for the company. I was a sales manager so the constant sales calls and promoting for the current or next sale was a never ending headache but the rewards was very impressive with raises for performance and overall gratitude for the hard work. I would definitely recommend this job to those willing to put forth the effort and dedication it takes to succeed in rent to own.
Pros
staff, customers, contest, vacation time, benefits
Cons
time away from home, angry customers, bad customers
Active environment with various skill levels
Customer Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 8, 2015
Great environment for one that likes task variety. However, very taxing on individuals with families because of the variability of hours worked and uncertainty of daily schedules.
Fun Place To Work With Delivering Furniture
Customer Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis,InMarch 31, 2015
Its a fun place to work with delivering furniture and you have a lot of pressure and to make sales. Then you have to counsel people on making payments.
Pros
Moving up on the totem pole
Work to Own
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 12, 2015
Customer service isn't for everyone, but here you meet and greet customer, assist with life goals for the individuals to help them achieve the home they deserve by renting home furnishings. The management staff and co-workers are like family, they invite you into the job with open arms, along with on the job training, community services, and fund raising.
the hardest part of the job is that if you are not able to lift more that 50lbs, this would not be the job for you, but again the best part is seeing a happy family leave out of the store knowing that they would soon have comfortable living in their new home, or apartment at a reasonable price.
Pros
Meeting and greeting cutomers, rate of pay, benefits, the staff
Cons
constant lifting over 50lbs, repossesions
The worse job ever!
Customer Account Rep (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 24, 2014
I worked for RAC for 4 months, and everyday was hastle just to convince myself the poor management and back breaking labor was worth it. I live in Greenfield and was told I couldn't work at the Greenfield location because I'm black, and the people in Greenfield wouldn't like it. The managers are terrible and don't care about they're employees well being at all. I was barely trained on how to do anything, then criticized for it. The interview was at the Greenfield location, and I was also hired there but never actually worked there. I was then told I'd be working somewhere in Indianapolis. After 2 months at one location, without ANY kind of warning, they transferred me to another store of THEY'RE choice. I was transferred AGAIN without any warning just after 2 Months at the new location, which was further away. They basically get you in, then do whatever they want with you if THEY feel it's necessary and will benefit them and the company... Not you. The pay is too low for the tasks required. The customer base was horrible when I was hired on and they expect one to jump in and save the company, which will never happen. Lunch break was whenever it was convenient for the managers. Just all around terrible!

LITERALLY THE WORSE JOB EVER.
Pros
Cons
Working for Rent A Center
Production, Friendly Evnviorment
Customer Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 26, 2014
A very proactive environment. I learn something new everyday
Very Active Job
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 27, 2013
Learned many skills dealing with household furniture and appliances. Very organized and controlled work environment. Co-workers depending on location are very friendly and very helpful with needed work information. Job isnt very hard at all, just very time consuming.
Best Job I have had so far!!
Customer Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 8, 2013
A typical day was very high past. I learned how to talk to everyone in any situation. management was great!! my co-workers were good hard working people and very easy to talk to. hardest part of the job was taking a living room up to the 3rd floor. most enjoyable was just helping people get that new PC or living room in there house.
Pros
employee purchase
Cons
work from 8am to 8pm

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rent-A-Center. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K
31.2K

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight