Rent-A-Center Employee Reviews in New York, NY

Found 35 reviews matching the search See all 4,259 reviews
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn NYCMarch 8, 2019
A day at RAC starts with team meetings always. Everybody needs an understanding of where the store currently stands and our goal for the day. I've learned that if you have a strong team behind you, your goals can be accomplished but its up to you to build your teams moral. The hardest part of the job was getting the problematic customers to make on time payments. The part that I enjoyed was when the team pulled together and overcame the obstacles. We came up with ways to either meet the customers half way by going to pick up the payment from them or asking them to pay half or whatever it took for the store to close with the company expectations of us.
Work life balance is nonexistent
District Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2019
Work 6 days per week and work life balance and job security is nonexistent. Layoffs are a constant and daily threat to the the company as a whole (more store closures and layoffs are scheduled) resulting in no continuity in management as leadership continues to be laid off and realigned every few months. Some really great coworkers that are unappreciated. Corporate is clueless as to the "Real" daily challenges and support needed by the local stores and the staff that are face to face with customers, product ordering, product servicing and new sales marketing needs for profitable growth. The company's mission statement is just words that look good on the web site and not lived every day to truly help the coworkers and their families.
Very fast paced
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2019
I liked working with this company because it was very fast paced and competitive. Always a thrill to see if we were in first place from our district. The hours were long, 50 hours a week was mandatory in NY branches but I didn't mind.
Pros
Worked with a great team
no life work balance
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  new yorkNovember 13, 2018
customer are so disrespectful don’t pay their bills and employees get blame for it !! no life work balance hard to sell, always short staff not the best place to work at a
Pros
sundays off
Cons
bad management
Do not work at this company
Customer Account Representative (Former Employee) –  New YorkSeptember 12, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is going home. You Consistently will be hurting from ridiculous deliveries. As a CAR you will spend your day running around trying to keep up with all of your responsibilities. The customer base for the majority of the part is completely rude. You will be exposed to people's living situations and some of them are less than desirable, many have bed bugs, lice roaches, and are poorly maintained. They do not care about the employees they only care about the numbers. Do not work here.
do not apply run away as fast as you can
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 11, 2018
The corporate culture is predatory. The regional VP's down to the District managers are total jerks. They must have a class to teach them to behave this way. The customers who steal from the company are treated better than the employees.

The company exists to feed on the poor and young in order to enrich the executives.
Pros
it's a paycheck
Cons
Management should be ashamed
ok
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2018
ok., wasnt too happy about alot of things, but not too sad either. Company is competing heavy because they dont want to get bough out. May happen, may not.
workplace
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 16, 2017
it was a decent job to work for had a lot of lifting to do but tips where good. I would recommend the job to anyone that likes hands on things and loves to drive trucks
Pros
long breaks
Cons
had to stay longer some days
Awful
Car (Former Employee) –  New yorkAugust 25, 2017
First place to give me a shot but you truly are over worked and under paid and under appreciated you do everything you are told to do while people sit and do nothing I highly advise anyone who wants to apply here not to. The day does go by relatively fast though that's the only plus to this job
Pros
Day goes by fast Monday-Thursday
Cons
Day drags on fridays and saturdays, poor management, you do all of the work while the managers sit and do nothing, do unimportant tasks when you should be doing serious work or what your job tasks actually are
flexible job to work in
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2017
great experience working here.is a fun and has wonderful people to work with. also had the time to learn new things and get much more experience than I though I would .
Pros
expensive lunch area
Cons
short brakes
work hard and you'll do well, long hours and lots of learning
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Upstate New YorkApril 20, 2017
As a district manager my days started with looking at daily and weekly activities of 9 stores, lasting for around 2 hours while calling stores asking questions, looking for goals and giving direction. The week is usually 6 days Monday to Saturday, some late days depending on the drive that was sometimes 2 hours one way. Goals and reaching them for a desired effect, is the culture, planned financial growth, increasing the store customer base as well as maintaining and training the employees. The hardest part is getting consistency in all aspects of the business, the collection, and the growth, and making more profit. I truly enjoyed the people and training them for the next step up in the company.
Pros
The people i've meant
Cons
Hours and stress
fun place to work
Sales assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 25, 2017
I learn a lot from rent a center but I need to move to something better my manager have been the best manager I ever had I would come to work here anytime
Not what it seems
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2017
I worked there for 4yrs and not once was I appreciated I worked 50 hrs and done everything they asked for and no one notice promotions were 25. Cent raises for all the stress you go threw they need to pay more
look elsewhere
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2017
not a friendly and conducive workplace, the product is old and warn
customers complain about the quality of the merchandise and the exorbitant prices over time
Management sucks
Credit Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2017
They focus on growing. Customers are free to steel, complain, and pay when they want. If you try to do your job you will get in trouble. And even get fired. Your gm is allowed to male fun of you and call you all sorts of names. Cant keep anyone employed. Over all one of the worst jobs ever. And the fear of taking bed bugs and bugs home is high.
Pros
Set days off
Cons
Everything else
A challenge indeed
District Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2016
Working in NYC has been in deed a challenge from many perspectives, but the turn over rate has been without a doubt the biggest of all the challenges.
Live and Learn
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2016
This company is absolutely not what I thought it would be, their benefits for employees are no where close to being good, the management is demeaning and degrading to staff. They pride themselves on putting down there employees if their collections isnt where they want it to be, everyday that you leave this company after a day of work, you will think twice about returning. During the interview process they do not give you all the details of what your day to day will consist of. The salary is barely livable and the fact that you dont have set days off is ridiculous. You have absolutely no life working at this place. They sell you a dream of oppurtunity to grow however, seems like your hard work doesnt pay off. As an employeer you are subject to bad attitudes of the management along with violent customers who may be unhappy for one reason or another. Honestly just an all around bad experience. However amongst the continuing bad the fact that working in a very high paced envirionment gave me the oppurtunity to learn to juggle many task and account management.
Pros
Improve in multitasking, account management, money handling skills
Cons
No set schedule, very low pay, poor benefits, poor management, dont pay overtime
a typical day at work
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 27, 2015
Lots of heavy lifting and at times several deliveries are done at buildings with no elevators which would then require more heavy lifting. Not enough benefits or barely any for part time workers and the advancement from pt to ft is close to impossible.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
no benefits
productive work environment
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2015
i learned to worked well with a competitive team.i mostly enjoyed interactions with all of the customers. the hardest part of the job was traveling to other rent-a-center locations.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
How to Manage A Team Well
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New YorkAugust 31, 2015
The most challenging part of being a manager of a team is keeping each person motivated. All people come from a diverse background and are motivated in different ways. I have found in my years of experience that creating friendly competition in the work place is the best way to engage and challenge employees. A typical successful day starts with planning, then effectively communicating the plan to each employee descriptively explaining their roll and their goals. Ask for feedback and ask them to bring up any challenges they may have with achieving their goal. After this takes place it is all about follow up and feedback. Are they on pace for achievement or are they on their way to failure. Give praise where it is needed and help those that are on the wrong path. Every day brings different challenges and a way that I can help strengthen my team to work towards success.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Low quality of life for middle management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rent-A-Center. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K
31.3K

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss