Rent-A-Center Culture reviews

Found 597 reviews matching the search See all 4,259 reviews
Loved working with customers
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHNovember 14, 2018
Loved working with customers and being a part of our community. Upper management was very credit oriented. Sometimes more than anything else. They were to one tracked minded.
Pros
Pay and benefits are good
Cons
Pressure everyday
What Great friendly environment
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 7, 2018
Loved working here love the people I worked. They offer decent pay but not enough hours. Would have probably still been working there if I had more hours
Pros
Great ppl
Cons
Not enough hours
a company that once was the best. Poor leadership became the norm over the last 5 years.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 5, 2018
A focus on building programs to achieve goals was the begining of the end for this rent to own giant. Completing task was more important than achieving goals.
fast paced, quick changing environment
Store Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 4, 2018
i think that with the pay at other retail companies that rent a center is comparable, hardest part of the job is collections, culture is high stress, i did learn alot on this job and got promoted quickly, my managers for my district were great, kind, supportive and willling to so called get their hands dirty
Pros
quick advancement if apply yourself and put in alot of extra effort
Cons
stressful, very fast paced, as management no breaks
Was a solid American company centered on people
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 3, 2018
Unfortunately, changing competitive climate and recent changes in company leadership/structure have turned this company into a non-ideal place to work.
Pros
Good pay & benefits
Cons
Poor quality of life
We created our own culture...
Manager (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 2, 2018
So much was done to create a beautiful mission statement, with impressive mantra...
But little was actually done to create the culture that fit the mission statement.
I rated it a 4 on culture, only because my group (of which only a handful still work there) created our own atmosphere - we moved several times in the building, and took it with us. We were known as a group that worked and played hard, and worked hard as a TEAM. No one threw anyone under a bus - we all took the blame, AND the kudos (and there was a lot of that).
Otherwise, the rest of the building appeared to be stifling, competitive, and shaky... with layoffs at least every 6 months...
Pros
I loved my team there.
Cons
Everything else.
Good Money, Horrible Leadership
Manager (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 28, 2018
As said above, good money but the company has no care for its employees. They constantly threaten your job, complain about over time but have unrealistic goals that can not be done with 40 hours. The managers take the majority of the harsh treatment and are constantly insulted in front of their staffs. But the money is good.
Pros
Money
Cons
Culture, Home work balance, Retention
This was a great job to be apart of
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MAOctober 27, 2018
i liked everything about the job. it was a great work enviroment i worked with really good people the customers were even really good. i would recommend anyone for this job on top of having an amazing manager.
Pros
Cons
thers non besides delivering in cold weather
productive and fun work place
Sales Manager/ Reclamations technician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 22, 2018
my experience at rent a center was very good. A typical day at work always left a lasting impression on me and they always helped me reach my goals not only as an employee but in life as well. the meetings not only pushed me, but they inspired and pushed the whole staff as well. things that i learned was having good people skills as far as communication and always remember to respect your customers and staff, and most importantly yourself. sometimes the most challenging part that i dealt with i would say was probably the whole labor when i was a delivery driver but there's good days and there's bad days. one of the main culture of the job that i learned was taking care of the customer at all cost. no matter what happens always make sure the customer is satisfied.
Pros
hour lunch breaks/ good pay
Cons
Once was a great place to work
Telecom Analyst (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 19, 2018
Each day varies. One day can be very busy, the next can be slow. The management was great! My director, manager and team lead were the best. RAC was a great place to work.
Good Place to Work
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Savannah, TNOctober 9, 2018
Friendly atmosphere, good place to work. Merchandising, and customer follow up is needed to be successful in this job. Best part of the job is helping those get products that they may not be able to get with their credit.
Good people
Delivery person (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 7, 2018
I enjoyed the culture of the staff and willingness they have with the customers and coworkers. Management was wonderful to work with. It was always an exceptional day.
Inventory, Sales, Repos (Former Employee) –  Salida, COOctober 6, 2018
The good thing about it is if your sales culture is right, it can be enjoyable despite what the actual job details are is; the reason is that when workers are excited, customers are excited and the picture of success comes full circle, right? Everyone wins.

R-A-C's downfall is that they expect too much from its workers without proper training, or should I say Patient and Realistic for their actual goals. If you're motivated, like me, it isn't a problem because you know how to generate your own traffic and profit, but many don't despite saying they do. And, so when these kids in high school that are just trying to make some money to pay the bills is getting hit with all these numbers it becomes like a bad copy remix of, "The Wolf of Wall Street" what do you thinks going to happen? Unproductivity, right? The team fails, the customers fail, the business fails. Profits drop and the cycle continues, all because of lack of communication and proper training; follow-up of course, but I think you get where I'm coming from. Train, communicate.

I learned the type of manager and team member I want to become by experiencing different styles throughout my career. Its all about attitude and patience.
Pros
Atmosphere, if built right
Cons
time management
Good place to work if you like to work till 7 pm daily or later if upper management makes you; with a week day and only Sundays Off.
Customer Service Collections Management (Former Employee) –  DuBois, PAOctober 4, 2018
A typical day at Rent a Center is very fast paced and loud. I learned how to collect money from a different type of clientele being instructed by the store manager and listening. The store manager is an awesome manager. The work place culture was at times difficult. The hardest part of the job was driving; covering up to three hundred miles a day going from house to house trying to collect past due payments. Not to mention; it was dangerous. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the customers and learning great skills from the store manager in retail management.
Pros
The store managers knowledge.
Cons
No regular lunch times. Most of the time you ate on the run.
Stay Away
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  The Colony, TXOctober 3, 2018
Corporate culture is horrible. Research this company and you will see turmoil at the top, lawsuits against and a variety of other issues. You can, albeit rarely, luck into a good location as a manager and make good money but at the cost of your personal life and probably morality.
Rent to own
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLSeptember 30, 2018
This is a fun and exciting place to work they offer great training. Your reaction with customers are really great. The smile that you bring to customers makes this job worth while
Pros
The opportunity to help someone
Cons
long hrs
Excellent company
Transactions Administrator (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 24, 2018
RAC is a good overall company with a diversity of positions and a culture to match. Many good people and clients. They tapped into a market that has been controversial yet very profitable.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Too far away
Great team
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Bullhead City, AZSeptember 23, 2018
Great environment to work in. Positive people, always pushing each other to do better and meet goals. Amazing programs within the company for employees. Highly recommend
Not to Bad
STORE, SALES, CREDIT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Burien, WASeptember 21, 2018
Rent A Center is more of a place to use as a stepping stone for you to improve your skills at communication, customer service, and organization. I learned a lot when I worked there and even advanced to store management. The pay is very competitive and the overall experience is great. The company offers paid vacation time, great benefits and the hours are a bit long but worth it. The only downfall is requesting time off and getting the days off you need for doctor appointments and such.
Pros
Benefits, Pay
Cons
Time off
Great place to work.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXSeptember 15, 2018
Good work environment. People I worked with were very knowledgeable and very helpful. Company has great training to those with no experience. Had realistic goals for employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rent-A-Center. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K
31.3K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Rent-A-Center.

Powered by Comparably