Renton School District Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great place to work Salary not so great
McKnight Middle School Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJuly 27, 2018
In a day I could see a fight or catch someone trying to smoke on campus. It varied a lot. I learned that you never can judge a book by it's cover. My direct manager was great and supportive. Workplace cultured was good overall, but there are a couple of people who are just collecting a paycheck. And it shows in their work and results.Hardest part is having to see a good student get in trouble for making a dumb decision. Best part is seeing a student learn from that mistake.
Nice people
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAJuly 25, 2018
Good school district. People are nice. Substitute teachers should be paid more and offered benefits.

Need more help in dealing with challenging students.
Excellent school district
Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJuly 16, 2018
Administration and staff are really supportive and really encourage professional development. Students are enthusiastic about learning and positive parental involvement.
Great Systems in place for safety
Job Coach/Para-educator (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJuly 5, 2018
Great Systems in place for safety and a great atmosphere for collaboration and teamwork. Managment was always available and cared about the staff.

Students have high needs but they are great students!
Pros
Short day
Cons
Short breaks
good pay and flexibility
General Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAFebruary 22, 2018
good to sub at various schools. enjoy the flexibility and connection to school staff. helping out gives a great sense of satisfaction. my contribution was appreciated by staff for the most part.
Pros
flexibility and fair wage
Cons
all schools operate differently. some dont have the most welcoming culture, especially for subs.
Fun exciting
Part-time Relief Driver (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJanuary 12, 2018
It was a great experience both on base and with the schools staff and students. Provided support to it's employees with outside life issues ,very flexible with schedule and consistent with training.
Good Place to work
Technician I (Current Employee) –  420 park ave n. Renton, WA 98057January 6, 2018
Good place to work. Management can be a little slow to act on issues, but they get done with care and concern for the safety of all employees as well as all students that are affected by the work that is done.
Pros
Always getting food from drivers and vendors
Cons
Way to much sugar in the free food. Hard to watch out weight
Learn something new every day; work with kids, teaching reading and Math groups.
Lap Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Renton, WA 98057November 9, 2017
Management is caring and supportive; I learn something new every day; I get to teach children Reading and Math. This School district is all about helping your career go in the direction you desire. Best of all you are helping kids.
Pros
You learn new things daily, you work with children, and the day goes by fast.
Cons
Short breaks, you are in a rush half the day, and it's hard to get all of your work done.
fun, productive, can be a bit on days when the kids do not get to run around outside when the weather is bad
Special Education Para-Educator (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAOctober 4, 2017
I enjoy working and help teaching children and the job was the type of work I enjoy. Renton School District pays better the the other Districts in the area if you look at pay.
Pros
Good work hours
Cons
Expensive city to live in
Fun work place
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Renton, WASeptember 4, 2017
If I didn't move to Burlington wa I would still be working there the commute got to be to expensive.
And the time traveling got to be to long depending on traffic would take me 3 to 4 hour's to get home
Pros
Paid summers
To sum it up, I like working with the kids and helping them learn.
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJuly 8, 2017
I have worked in the education field for the past 2 1/2 years. I substituted for the fist year and a half then last school year was hired to work at a school full time.
I did recess duty and title 1,LLI. I would give small classes for reading. I have worked in the library and done some office duty. I have only worked at elementary schools. I really enjoy working with the younger kids.
I also have enjoyed the friendships I have developed. It has been very rewarding.
I am hoping to stay in the education field.
I have learned a lot my self. I like to learn so that was very rewarding for me also.
a
At the end of the school year I was doing 6 recess duties and 5 reading groups. I tried to make it fun for the kids. I think I did succeed at that, I got thanked by many of my students for helping them.
I also helped with some writing. Mainly thinking of ideas or helping them to think of ideas to wright about. Getting them started and things like that.
Pros
I really enjoy helping the kids with their reading.
Cons
It is hard to be outside in the rain
Time Intensive, But Rewarding
Teacher - SE (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAMay 13, 2017
Good job for teaching yourself personal strength. Good co-teachers and staff, Good opportunity to work with, and learn about, diverse communities.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the students. The hardest part of the job is changing expectations.
Pros
Students, committed staff, helpful volunteers, incredible PTAs
Cons
Unclear/ineffective evaluation system
paraeducator
Para-Educator Specialist (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAApril 19, 2017
working with children that had autism learned that if I didn't care no one would. teachers were great the hardest was the parents that just didn't care about the welfare of their child.
school bus drivers are fun people with great since of family
School Bus Driver/Driver Instructor (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAApril 12, 2017
The management needs to be more informative, and less robotic. They try hard to keep up the family atmosphere, but their lack of foresight causes some hardships.
Pros
Great people, good benefits, excellent pay and vacation time.
Cons
stressful unorganized ever revolving management 5 directors in 5 yrs.
Great Compensation
Management (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAApril 6, 2017
Competitive environment that compensates their employee's well.
Employees are great and treat their management well.

I enjoy working with K-12 Education.
I like helping kids
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAMay 28, 2016
Substitute for all schools in the district. Ages from Preschool to High school. Assist children out on the playground, classrooms, Bus, and lunch room. Helped the head teacher as needed. Office duties included, answering phones, helping parents, copying, and filing.
Typical School District
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAFebruary 7, 2016
Colleagues at the building level are supportive and professional.
The District office has seen a lot of "revolving door" personnel changes in the past 3-4 years, creating a chaotic, non-cohesive structure of support. Systems that used to work well seem to be very broken and mismanaged currently. Resulting in teachers at the building level feeling confused and completely isolated - a sense that "we are on our own" to figure out how to do our jobs.
The hardest part of being a teacher, is the expectations change every year, depending on who's the leader "du jour". The State Legislature thinks they "know" what teachers should be doing! They are allowed to make policy that significantly impacts our ability to do our jobs.
The most enjoyable part of teaching is the kids! The systemic problems in K-12 education are becoming insurmountable.
Pros
not many..if any at all?
Cons
the list is too long
Fun work place.
Clerical Substitute (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAOctober 16, 2015
I enjoy the work that I do. Working with parents, staff regarding transportation issues. Ensuring that the students have transportation to and from school. Troubleshooting any issues with routes and times for arrivals and departures.
Stressful work enviroment
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAAugust 25, 2015
I drove a school bus and picked up students of all ages, i worked in the Renton school district, i drove students on field trips and special events.
Child and Parent Focused with a common goal towards education
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Renton, WaJune 29, 2015
A typical day at work would include typical office management duties including but not limited to: answering phones, assisting parents in inquires, filing, assisting Program Director in daily tasks, etc. I had an incredible amount of responsibility in regards to helping run the school. There were only two office staff members including myself. Making sure the school was running smoothly and functioning on an even level was the daily goal. Not one day was the same as the next. I learned that patience is a true given gift and respect goes a long way. You learn a lot about humanity when it comes to dealing with personal lives especially with children. My management was incredible. Very personal, direct, compassionate and involved. Same goes to my co-workers. They as teachers had a common goal and with the unique nature of our type of school, it was easy to get along well with everyone. The hardest part of the job was having to coordinate with the neighboring school. We were placed with a school complete opposite of what our school was about and it was challenging at times. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was working with the parents and children. Being able to work with them on a daily basis knowing that you are affecting their lives in a positive manner made the day well worth it.