Republic Steel Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Enjoyable place to work because I lived at home and covered several states as a CTS engineer
Customer Technical Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJuly 18, 2018
Company is a good place to work. Production jobs are probably more stressful because of meeting daily productivity requirements. Engineers jobs are not as stressful because in support roles. New trade tariffs on foreign steel should help business particularly the bottom line. Company is owned by a Mexican Steel company which has helped them in international sales .
Pros
salary, benefits, good working conditions
Cons
long hours, some politics
Steel factory in steady decline
Clerical Support (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJune 16, 2018
I worked for Republic Steel in several different capacities for almost 40 years. Along the way, I was mentored by several excellent supervisors and for the most part, I enjoyed my time there. Sadly, the company has been in a state of decay for the last ten years with little capital investment being made into its future. Existence is a hand to mouth, day to day torture for the supply people as they try to keep the place running. The work force is aging and upper management is insensitive to the individual employee. You are employed only as long as you are needed and will be unceremoniously kicked out the door, no matter how dedicated you were, as soon as they can replace or eliminate you. I'm grateful for the good people I met thru the years and the job opportunity but I couldn't recommend Republic as a viable job choice unless it was your only alternative.
Pros
benefits, salary, people
Cons
upper management, stress, dangerous work environment
Great place to work with outstanding coworkers and managers
Rolling Mill Operator (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHJune 13, 2018
I work on the rolling mill. It has upsides and downsides as does every production job but the working conditions are not stressful at all, like most steel mills are, and the coworkers are like a second family. One very good thing is our new plant manager. He is a young man that is putting money into our units and improving performance on old equipment that hasn’t been properly maintained for quite some time.
Pros
Benefits, work life, coworkers, pay, management.
Cons
We work most weekends. Kinda learn to plan family stuff around a swing shift.
productive place to work, great people
PRODUCTION WORKER (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHMay 23, 2018
I enjoyed working for Republic Steel. I met a lot of great people, the managers are great. The pay is excellent, the benefits are great, lots of cross training.
Pros
pay, benefits, insurance, union
Cons
long hours at work
Depends
Hot Roll and Cold Finish (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHMay 19, 2018
Rough culture, great pay, crazy hours, great benefits, dangerous. As the older more experienced managers leave the younger inexperienced managers will be a set back for the company.
Pros
wages, benefits
Cons
hours, life threatening conditions
very poor executive management
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Lackawanna, NYMay 3, 2018
this may be the worst place in the united states to work. the upper management is the most dysfunctional group of people.enough said ..................................
Pros
none really
Cons
they hire people who couldn't manage a lemonade stand
Vicious steel mill environment.
Steelworker (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OhioApril 25, 2018
This is a vicious ,inhuman ,dirty, mentally abusive, unsafe every second, environment. I lasted 19 years and it took years off my life. Its a feast or famine environment. In other words they would like you to work 72 hours a week or be laid off. Its a for profit , union environment owned by foreigners now. Lorain plant closed due to the economy that dumped in 2009 and global trade , and monetary policies of the federal reserve, and government. Management is completely criminal, lying and underhanded. They are bean counters. They love you if you sacrifice yourself for the company,
Pros
Pay can reach $30 an hour.
Cons
Very difficult environment
Worst management ever
Employee (Former Employee) –  Blasdell, NYApril 9, 2018
You have upper management that only trys to blame other people for their inadequacy.so they hire people to fire them later no joke.this place is all about who you know.
Pros
Cant really think of any
Cons
Stay away
Fast pace
Krasny operator, steel coil machine operator (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYMarch 16, 2018
working her for 3+ years was a god experience .It was fast pace and you had to learn allot which i liked. The pay was very competitive and they offer full benefits . all in all a good place to work
Was a fun experience, but too many layoffs
Laborer/Organizer/Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHMarch 12, 2018
I enjoyed my time at the mill and hearing the stories from the old timers. I worked in the mason gang helping to clean debris out of furnaces and ladles, fetch new materials, and setting them up for the masons to use.

The mill is really old and worn down, which reflects in its safety (watch out for yourself!) The owners have been investing more into its safety, but has a long way to go.

The great thing about the mill is that they have good pay, excellent benefits, and shift differential. We were able to pace ourselves without killing ourselves which was also nice.

My main complaint with the mill was the layoffs. The entire steel industry has been hurting for work and I was laid off 3 times within 4 years.
Pros
Good pay, easy paced work
Cons
Safety, layoffs, swingshift
Joyful work environment
current employee (Current Employee) –  Lackawanna, NYMarch 7, 2018
From competitive salaries to insuring the highest safety standards, you won’t find a company that cares more for its people. Republic is a fast paced company with high expectations, but you’re given the support and right tools to make it happen. The company is investing money in the Lackawanna plant and securing its future.
Pros
Too many to list
very dangerous place to work-fines from OSHA all the time
Stamper (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHMarch 2, 2018
got to work changed into heat resistance clothing and walked a long distance to job post. if the machines was working then i conducted my job duties if the machines were down then we got sent home
Pros
free health insurance
Cons
worked swing shifts
Owners are destroying this company.
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHFebruary 21, 2018
Very bad management, owners don't pay vendors, almost always out of parts but still expected to magically fix everything, keep dumping money into the wrong things and then never finish, supervision most of the time has no experience in the field, forced overtime because they won't hire (in Ohio at least). The list goes on and on. This is not a good place to work. I'm always wondering when they'll finally close the doors.

Oh and they break the law with OSHA freaking all the time. We are currently running without fire suppression for our furnace which is a huge no no for this line of business.
Pros
Pay is actually good and my insurance is free
Cons
Just about everything else.
Ok place but poorly owned
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OH 44055February 20, 2018
There was a lot potential there if ownership would have been wiser with investing and making the mill up to date. Hard working people all around, it is a union shop so it has a union mentality. Worked a lot of hours per week, barely anytime at home. Had to make things happen by improvising and adapting to the lack of spare parts or support. Mill eventually closed down to the steel market and bad budgeting by ownership.
Pros
Benefits and time off were decent
Cons
Over worked
managment sucks
Warehouse laborer (Former Employee) –  Blasdell, NYFebruary 15, 2018
they will use and abuse you, they can force you into a 16 hour shift if someone calls off, you can forget about having a life outside of work because they will never let you know what you are working until the last minute
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Stressful work environment, current manager cares nothing about employees health and safety
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Lackawanna, NYJanuary 23, 2018
Lack of educated bosses leading to the fall of the company only care for safety when osha is involved and has no problem forcing people to work in excess of 60 plus hrs every week for over a year
Intern (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJanuary 15, 2018
Great place to work with competitive and serious management. You will work on something new every day and there is always new and novel issues to be solved and dealt with
Tired of waiting for change!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHDecember 26, 2017
Extremely poorly managed business with disregard for personal life outside of the organization. Doesn't pay its suppliers/vendors resulting in inability to maintain productivity in all aspects of the daily operations, as well as volatile business/vendor relationships. I could go on!
hard work
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHDecember 25, 2017
paid my bills and feed my family hard work long hours cold in winter hot in summer loved the poelpe I meet over the years very dirty loud noise. ut I love it
Pros
good poeple
Cons
short breaks
Slow pay of suppliers biggest problem for staff
Mid manager (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHDecember 6, 2017
Failed to keep up on maintenance
Unreliable production
Quality challenges

What else do you need to know?

Stay away unless you need a headache and a paycheck
Pros
Fair pay, good benefits
Cons
Reactive management, lack of working capital to pay suppliers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Republic Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.5Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight