Research Foundation For SUNY Employee Reviews

Opportunity to learn a lot
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 9, 2015
This isn't a review of a typical company. As a grad student, of course there's no work/life balance (14+ hour work days much?). The stipend can barely be lived on. And of course there's no advancement. But you're working towards a PhD, so all this is to be expected. Management is great, as good as your P.I., anyway. The job's basically secure, just stay in good standing, and don't stay too long (but you'll want to leave anyway). The culture in Academia is pretty cool in some ways: lots of people who are generally laid back but really care about their area of study, and are eager to talk about it or just socialize in general--there's no real boundary between work life and social life in that regard. Of course, "publish or perish" does take its toll, and everyone is constantly in pursuit of grant money.
Pros
Smart people
Cons
Tiny stipend
Demanding position
Early Intervention Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 29, 2015
Very high case loads. Time management and organizational skills are needed to survive. Work/ Life balance is difficult to maintain during very busy times.
Productive environment to foster professionalism
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Purchase, NYJune 4, 2014
In my opinion I learned the most about being a professional working for the Research Foundation because they taught me skills that are necessary for becoming a well rounded professional.