RetailData LLC Employee Reviews

Productive Workplace; Good Management
Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 27, 2018
Every manager I had while working at the corporate office was friendly, supportive, and knowledgeable. If I had any questions, I received a response from my manager quickly as well as helped me solve issues regarding any subject matter. During training, the employees made sure I was on the right track to learn everything about the position I was to uphold. This job also came with decent benefits as well as promotions yearly. A typical day of work would be using Excel, reviewing grocery prices, and validating various sets of data.
Pros
Great workplace; friendly atmosphere; training included
Flexible hours, but....
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 19, 2018
This job is great on the flexible hours part, as long as the store is open and it is within you collection dates you can work, but it lacks on everything else. You have to be full time to get benefits and even then the benefits aren't that great. I get about 1.5 hours of vacation accrued every month. Health benefits are expensive and extremely lacking. You will never get to know your coworkers and only meet your DM every now and then. If you are good at the job you can make a good amount of money, but you have to keep yourself motivated. The company grew to fast and now they are playing catch up and that often comes at the expense of their data collectors.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
You feel like you are alone often
District Lead Review
District Leader (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 2, 2019
First off this review is long overdue!
I have been working for the company for close to 5 years now and have been district lead for 2 now. The company has been growing rapidly and new protocols have been enforced , which has led me to come write this review.

At first working for the company I started at a fixed hourly rate of 15/hr but soon after "training" ends you are converted to a piece rate of pennies literally per item you collect. One of the main highlights of working here were making your own schedule (as long as you meet deadlines for assignments of stores & depending on store hours ) and working independently. The amount of wear and tear this does on your car tho, I have accumulated upwards of 90,000 miles from this job from travel alone even though they pay for gas which makes a difference if traveling more than 40 miles.

The only real interaction I had with coworkers were when I went to cover their jobs for either flaking or when the district manager was in so much desperate need for help (which is very often) . This job is not for everyone. If you are lucky you will be placed with open stores that RetailData itself has a contract with and knows you are there.

However the majority of jobs and all the ones I am assigned are lapel jobs. This means that we are asked to be "undercover" or discreet without having the store manager know what we are exactly doing in their store. This is extremely sketchy and raises many suspicions not just from employees but often other shoppers. The worst thing that can happen is that they ask you to leave their store
  more... , thus you do not complete that certain job and then your manager tells you to go back again and finish it. That doesn't even make any sense, the logistics manager who is in charge out here is just horrible.The pay is also very questionable, they do offer pay for travel but how they determine the price of each item per store is livid. One lapel store you can scan up to 1500 items and get paid 60 dollars and another lapel store you can have less than 800 items and get paid 100. Then they mandate you to not scan items in certain lapel stores but then for reaudits they say it is a requirement to scan in these lapel stores that managers are not supposed to know what you do.. so scanning isn't going to give it away or anything.

In my 5 years working here I have had a total of FIVE different district managers, You can tell by the high turn over and inexperienced data collector team that we have that many of us feel. We are often underpaid and asked to do things that are rarely compensated. Benefits never kicked in until about 2 years working for the company and 401k as well.

Back in the day I was offered free room and board, and free meals with my travel (out of state) assignments. However recently within the past year they have become cheap and I was not reimbursed any of this . I have stopped volunteering to travel out of state for this reason. The technology is extremely outdated, and the handheld devices that are provided are so slow its hard for them to keep up with optimal performance.

Although I am very confident in my skills and not scared to be asked to leave , the job itself is very easy. It is very repetitive and anyone can manage it as long as you meet deadlines. There have been many alerts from upper management about the amount of hours required to work per week and protocols on how to collect. This should have been addressed from the beginning and now I feel like they are playing catch up because so many employees were poorly trained years ago. Fortunately for me I have just learned from experience talking to other employees who have been working for the company for years as well. Thanks for letting me rant. I look forward to seeing how the company evolves.
Pros
flexible, independence
Cons
low paying assignments, poor technology, limited training, inaccurate reautis, no reimbursement on travel pay, limited benefits, mileage on car, horrible communication between coworkers, poor management
Full Time DC
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 30, 2018
This job as Data Collector can be difficult if you have a family especially if you are the sole parent without help. There is opportunity to make very good money though it may not be consistent because life does happen. If you don't have any responsibilities to family, or another job that restricts your time this job can be a dream come true. When things were going smoothly I was bringing home 1500+ per pay period so the money is there if you are willing to put in the time to gain speed and know your stores. My boss was also always understanding about life happening.
Pros
Pay potential, flexible hours, travel
Cons
work/life balance inconsistent, undercover assignments can throw schedule off if not completed when asked to leave a store
such a joke
data collector (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 31, 2018
When I first started the job was good and then we got a new manager and if you werent part of her click then everything you did was wrong. Management is clueless, can't even answer simple questions. She made you feel like an idiot for asking.
The hardest part of the job was lying to major store managers about what we were doing there and then getting kicked out, only to be made to go back again and finish the job. Also the equipment they use is so outdated, its impossible to be quick when the hand held can't even keep up with you.
Manager started demanding things that never were demanded before just so her status would be up at the top. Cared only about herself and would never send help if you needed it.
Pros
working by yourself, sick time
Cons
terrible management, no training, no help from anyone
Worst Pay Ever!
Retail Data collector (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaAugust 19, 2018
I recently accepted a position and at first the pay seemed fair. I was even told that some data collectors make over 15 bucks per hour. However with the transition to piece work I quickly learn my pay average was 9.50 but dropped to 5.38 which is less than minimum wage in 1 pay period! No joke! My pay was offset to equal minimum wage standards. I highly suggest that unless your just looking to make a few bucks and not help support yourself then keep looking...keep looking for other work! Scanning THOUSANDS of pieces to make minimum wage isn't worth it! You receive No guidance on this matter till you contact payroll with questions about your transition to piece work within 60 days of hire. I had very high hopes for this job but now I feel horrible because I have a family and need all I can get, quitting without an additional job isn't an option! Please consider this before signing on the data line!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay, no info on what goes into the averaging your pay or piece rates
Last Minute Communication
Field Auditor Representative (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCNovember 15, 2018
Communication comes at the last minute. They do not use technology to plan one's schedule and what part of town you will be working. Spend too much time driving across town to work in locations that there are employees that are closer to the particular store. UPS/Amazon has software to make sure their drivers don't take too many left turns. Retail Data spends many man hours assigning work without the context of drive time.
Pros
Flexible schedule, ability to travel
Cons
don't have a travel department, so not consistent
Meh
Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 18, 2018
The job is incredibly easy but it gets repetitive. If you have anxiety or get stressed easily, the "undercover" jobs are much more difficult, especially when you are trying to remain "undercover" while scanning 1000+ items. Unfortunately after the training period you no longer get paid by the hour and it ends up being not that great of pay. Also the manager that trained me had no clue what he was doing and was no help to me.
Pros
laid back, easy work
Cons
poor pay, poor management
Fast paced work with plenty of training but not realistic expectations
Retail Pricing Collector - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Work from homeOctober 14, 2018
Training was great and management was good. BUT a lot of errors happened with the machine I was given and the area I was told I would cover was not the area I was given.

Could have been a great gig, if there had been some honesty on the part of coverage area.
A great place to work
Mid-level Developer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 29, 2018
Had a great hands on experience at all stages of the SDLC with a very good work environment and management.
Lets you have a perfect work life balance.
Gives you the freedom to put in your ideas and explore your potential to the fullest.
Stay far away from this place
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 29, 2018
At first it was a good company to work for. I did alot of traveling for them. Within the years i was there not only did we not ever get a raise we had our pay cut several times.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Pay
Flexible and Great work atmosphere
Associate (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 30, 2018
A very non-stressful work environment, where communication is key to being successful as well as starting and ending jobs on time. Opportunity to move up in the company if your willing to work hard.
Pros
Flexibility and Availability
Cons
Takes time to get adjusted
You drive alot and the pay isn't that great.
RENTAL DATA COLLECTOR (Current Employee) –  Northern Kentucky and CincinnatiNovember 11, 2018
The more you work the more you make. The further you drive the better the job pays. Most jobs pay 15.00. If you don't drive more than 25 miles you don't get drive time pay.
Pros
Work when you want
Cons
Driving
Flexible work with somewhat good pay
Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Madera, CAAugust 16, 2017
Working with this company can be fun, the jobs are repetitive so working in a store and knowing what you'll see every week makes the job go faster. I learned a lot about how retailers operate, how they sell their merchandise. I have learned to how to be more stealthy in stores because I did a lot of under cover jobs. My district manager was great, they knew what the data collectors went through because they had worked out in the field as well. Sometimes the hardest part was trying to finish a job that had a short deadline and the client put out a large list to be completed. Also if you have back or foot injuries this job could irritate those injuries if you don't pace yourself. I enjoyed traveling at no expense for this job. Free car rental, plane ticket and Hotel. Any meals or gas bought out of pocket while traveling for the company was paid for. If you are good at time management and working independently you could make it at this job.
Pros
Paid Travel expenses, Flexible hours
Cons
No Health benefits
It's a business, not personal
Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAApril 23, 2018
There are long, often boring, hours. Management is very disconnected from their teams. Each department seems to be disconnected and angry with each other and subordinates can feel the tension. There seems to be an issue with many people not knowing that is happening, with only management discussing it with each other. These managers seem to prefer their titles than sharing information, adding to the very disconnected feeling. There are some really good people here, but they seem to not be part of the management teams. CEO does seem to be appreciative and thankful for everyone's jobs.
Pros
Laid back atmosphere
Cons
Healthcare, disconnected managment
Great work, poor management
Field Data Collector (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 23, 2017
The job itself is great. You get to make your own hours just as long as you complete assignments before the deadline. You work alone, no co-workers to interact with...usually. You get to work different locations and get compensation for mileage and drive time. You're paid per piece, so the faster you go, the more money you make.
Management kills the whole deal. They don't listen when you have a problem. You get scripted responses and no resolution. Being called at the last minute to complete someone else's assignment. Expected to make deadlines even when sick. No communication. Last minute information.
It can be tough on your back. The repetitive reaching to top shelves and bending to bottom shelves on particular jobs can become a problem.
Pros
Make your own schedule, work alone, compensation
Cons
Management, hard on your back
job review
Retail Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 21, 2018
Collecting sale price data on a handheld computer in supermarkets to be transmitted every Tuesday >
Client City Market.
This job involved entering the market with a badge and handheld equipment. A weekly list is established with the focus of seeking out the product, enter the full price and sell price.
Overall a good side job
Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJuly 10, 2018
Not something you want to financially depend on but management was great and they have specific days you need to finish tasks which is nice.

You pretty much determine how many hours you work,
Pros
Independent work
Cons
Not a substantial amount of income
fun and fas tpaced
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  killeen texasDecember 6, 2018
I enjoyed working here. My Area Manager was the best. they paid mileage when traveling from store to store. the hardest part was locating items to be scanned.
Pros
the job itself
Cons
the equipment issues.
Very stress full employment
Field Auditor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 18, 2018
This position was an education to show me what was a good fit for my skill set. Although I performed well, it was difficult to gain any kind of promotion.
Pros
Flex hours
Cons
No healhcare