RETIREMENT UNLIMITED Employee Reviews

Very great place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, VASeptember 16, 2019
A wonderful environment to work in. The residents are lovely and it is easy to feel at home. The work itself is easy and rewarding. Would love to continue to work with this company
Pros
working with residents
Cons
n/a
Favoritism
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 2, 2019
I currently work for RUI and I am actively looking for another job. The President of the company constantly talks about her daughter and son whom she believes are the best employees. The VIP of HR shows favoritisms does not have a back bone. She knows the President slanders employees both former and current. A Director of Sales was hired and she is not liked, they demoted her to bring in the old Director who happens to be best friends with the President. The President made her daughter the face of the company and she has the worst census in the company
Pros
Residents are lovely
Cons
The President and HR Director
Residents consistently rewarding. Management consistently inconsistent.
Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJuly 18, 2019
My immediate supervisor changed four times in roughly 18 months. The building director changed three times. Not once did corporate come in to talk to employees to let them know that things were under control. In fact, in the nearly three years I worked there, none of the corporate folks who frequently showed up for fancy functions or other activities ever introduced themselves to me or other employees - from those I talked to. Employees were afraid of being fired. I have continued to stay in contact with the residents and their families, former employees, and contractors for the company. It has been a joy to know them.
Family Owned and Caring Company
Academic Administrator (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 3, 2019
RUI is an incredible company! They truly care about employees and the residents we serve. RUI is family owned and this can be felt throughout the whole organization. Working for RUI has been incredibly rewarding I am very thankful to be working on this team!
Pros
Supportive supervisors, leadership development opportunities
Good company
Director of Plant Operations (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 12, 2019
Not much room for advancement on the maintenance side but you gain a wealth of knowledge to take elsewhere. Freedom to do what you need to do. No micromanaging which is great. Strong structure. I would recommend.
Pros
Free lunch, freedom as a supervisor.
Cons
None for me
The Towers - Life Enrichement
Life Enrichment Director at The Towers (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 27, 2019
I have been working for Retirement Unlimited Incorporate for a year. In that year, I started out as a Life Enrichment Assistant. Shortly after, I was promoted to a move in coordinator, and now I am the Life Enrichment Director. There is so much opportunity to grow here! I have met the owner of Retirement Unlimited! I have never worked for a company that I can easily reach the owner, CEO, Vice President etc. The president of the company also writes thank you notes and birthday cards! They take the time out of their day to let their employees know that they are appreciated. I love working for this company!
Pros
opportunity to grow
Up and Coming Company
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 29, 2019
I am approaching 1 year with RUI and I think it is a great company to work for. I love the culture and though small and growing RUI gives back to its employees. The transparency of upper management is greatly appreciated. After working with other companies I enjoy the comradery of the RUI team.
Pros
excellent pay and benefits, opportunity for growth a company with a great future
Cons
None to report
Adequate job responsibilities
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 31, 2018
My experience with this employer was beneficial to me in that I gained experience in a variety of different secretarial fields. I was not encouraged, however, to see a higher position nor to apply myself in difference areas of work.
Pros
Adequate work load
Cons
No real future
RUI is an AMAZING company!
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 8, 2018
From day one I was very impressed with focus on a well defined team culture! RUI also provides a genuine and caring atmosphere for its team to support the companies mission to provide the best in care. I love my job and I love my team! Great place to work...
Pros
Free meals daily, competitive pay, leadership training.
Cons
none identified
Fast paced, More managers than workers.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Burke, VASeptember 4, 2018
Unspoken "caste system". At the top is the HR staff who have been working there for over ten years, comfortably as they are. The next rank are the administrative staff. The next rank is more of a subdivision among the laborers, house keeping staff who at least puts their foot down and has set boundaries on their work load, but underneath them are the lowly kitchen staff.

Most of the chefs have quit and the few that remain are ferociously overworked, the servers or dishwashers are the Mules. Serve the food, and feed the residents, but heaven forbid they actually have a dedicated lunch break and eat the food set aside(the very food they help prepare) to calmly eat!
Pros
Some residents are nice, coworkers(minus the managment) are nice
Cons
The pace of the job never lets down, You are but a small cog that keeps the HR machine running smoothly(heaven forbid it breaks down), some residents are entitled and have the "I pay your paycheck additute"
Exciting, growing company
Chief Financial Officer & Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 2, 2018
Many "balls" to juggle in a typical day with workload, e-mails, deadlines and meetings. Small enough to allow autonomy and not much red-tape, large enough to have resources to accomplish goals (planned and unplanned)
Love being a part of this team
Community Relations Director (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 5, 2018
My experience at RUI has been incredible, as I am truly a member of a strong team that puts residents first. We work hard and do everything we can to provide our residents with the best quality of life possible. This company understands that nothing is accomplished alone, and the home office encourages team work and partnerships between the directors at the community-level. I enjoy working for an organization with a strong reputation for excellence. My time at RUI has been a blessing.
Wonderful place to work!
Director of Nursing (Current Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 5, 2018
I have had the privilege to work at RUI for over a year and can truly say it has been the best job! I feel fortunate to be a part of such a great team from every level of the company. While it is a growing company with many opportunities it has a small company feel. You know upper management is a quick phone call away and always willing to provide assistance or listen to your ideas. The COO is involved in all the communities and takes the time to hand write employees letters. This company offers work life balance, exceptional benefits, and opportunities for advancement. The day to day job is the best I have ever had. The job of caring for our residents is rewarding and no two days are the same. I hope to be a part of this team for years to come. If you are looking for a job I highly recommend RUI!
Pros
Work life balance, Highly competitive pay and benefits
Cons
None at this time
Awesome company that is customer focused and employee driven
Senior Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 31, 2018
Retirement unlimited has been my home away from home for the last five and half years. The company offers exceptional benefits, work life balance and plenty of opportunities for advancement. I started out with them as a line cook and within the first year I was promoted to Executive Chef and Culinary Director. RUI, continued to work with me and provided me with the tools and encouragement to further advance my career. In less than four years I was promoted to Senior Executive Chef, with the responsibility for direction and oversight of seven facilities.

Each of the facilities has a different vibe but they all offer a unique opportunity for those in the culinary field. Even though the facilities are retirement communities the menus are not institutionalized. The culinary departments are focus on providing a fine dining experience with fresh made from scratch selections. The chefs are empowered to be creative and have a comfortable budget to work from. On top of the creativity there are no late nights, excellent benefits including health care, paid vacation and 401K matched contributions. These are not normally seen in the food service industry.

The company offers education incentive, the management team supports you in reaching goals and is always looking to improve processes... you have a voice at RUI.
Pros
no late work schedules, benefit packages, pay, fun atmosphere
Cons
some weekend shifts are required
Great place to work!!
Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Northern VirginiaJanuary 28, 2018
I have worked in marketing for many companies and can honestly say RUI has been my favorite place to work. The corporate office shows a genuine care for not only their employees, but for the residents. I had the opportunity to sit in a meeting with the CEO, COO, regional directors and community department heads, and got to listen to their creative and innovative ideas and it truly made me excited to come back to work and share their ideas with the community team. The corporate team are always reachable and they take their time to listen to our ideas and suggestions. The company is growing which comes with opportunities for employees to grow in their positions & departments. The benefits we receive are better than any other company I have worked for. I would highly recommend employment opportunities to my friends.
Pros
Great benefits, transparency with the corporate team, growth opportunities
Strong, Virginia Family run organization that is growing
Executive Director/Administrator (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 28, 2018
Retirement Unlimited is a growing Virginia family run company that currently has 7 Senior Living communities throughout Virginia, with 5 more in development... I have worked for several other senior living companies, big and small, and this organization is the best!
Pros
Solid Work / Life balance, your opinion/sugesstions matter, Competitive salaries and benefits.
Cons
None at this time
Outsatanding company
Corporate Director of Plant Operations (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 28, 2018
I have been a full time employee of Retirement Unlimited in several different capacities for the past 19 Years. Our team strives to exceed expectations of our senior population by providing exceptional hospitality services 24 hours a day. Each day is a challenge but extremely rewarding. This is an exciting time of growth for RUI, as we are adding several communities to our portfolio in Virginia. The management team at each community are top notch leaders and subject matter experts in senior care. The philosophy of resident first is immolated from the top down, the very generous compensation and benefits package provided to our employees is superior in our industry. RUI is an established growing company that I highly recommend, if you are a highly motivated team player looking to be part of a family caring for family. apply now. Administration, Environmental Services, Nursing, Life Enrichment and culinary.
Pros
Great benifits, Compensation, Career Growth, Company provided uniforms and free meals
Cons
None to mention
Dedicated and Growing Company
Corp Director of Marketing and Life Enrichment (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 27, 2018
It’s been exciting to be a part of a growing and flourishing organization where the staff care deeply for the residents and families as well as each other. The benefits are great and there are many opportunities to expand your knowledge and grow within RUI.
Great Place to Work
Corporate Director of Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 27, 2018
I've been with RUI for 1.5 years now and it has been one of the best companies I have had a privilege to work for. The staff is dedicated to the care of our residents and ensuring they have a great life and experience in our communities. The company offers great benefits for ALL their staff including a competitive 401K in which the RUI still matches the contributions of their employees. We have leadership who always have the best interest of the employees and residents at the core of their decisions and I am extremely grateful to them. I would recommend RUI to anyone as a Great Place to Work!
Great Vision and Opportunity
Life Enrichment Director (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 27, 2018
I have had a great experience as the company is supportive and values are in the right order. My coworkers are great and I love working with the residents.
Pros
Great benefits and programs
Cons
Not that I think of

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RETIREMENT UNLIMITED. Our community is ready to answer.