Retro Fitness Employee Reviews

Within my time there it was terrible.
Floor Tech Attendant (Current Employee) –  Forked River, NJJuly 20, 2018
Management sucked they got all the hours and kept hiring people without having any hours for them. I went a month with out working because they did not give me hours
Retro Fitness of Cherry Hill
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJuly 17, 2018
All Retro's are owned individually. The Retro that I was employed at was so poorly owned and managed, that the staff tend to cycle out quite frequently. Employees are not treated fairly at the Cherry Hill NJ location and gym members are often nosy and have been known to harass female workers.
Pros
scheduling, easy work
Cons
treated unfairly, no raises
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Ringoes, NJJuly 13, 2018
I really enjoyed working here. the only reason I had to quit is because I was employed at another job closer to my house. The staff was very friendly and the location is in a fantastic place.
Great Leadership
Floor Technician (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYJuly 5, 2018
Great summer job and leadership team. It was a very good learning experience and the managers respected us and helped us provide top customer service.
It was a relaxed environment
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Stroudsburg, PAJuly 3, 2018
Working there was fairly easy and relaxed, some days were crazy and some we rather laid back and reasonable. The members were rather messy and ever cleaned up after themselves and that was the only thing that I didn’t like.
Pros
Free gym membership after 3 months
Cons
Short breaks and it took 3 months for a free membership
I loved working at Retro
Front Desk Staff (Former Employee) –  Kenilworth, NJJune 29, 2018
I would work about 20-30 hours a week. The people I worked with were really friendly and I felt welcomed every time I came into work. It was a fun job and I met a lot of new people and made a lot of new friends. The managers were really friendly and supportive.
It should be temporary
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2018
this particular retro fitness at 1 new york plaza wasn't good. Being at reception was a drag. You would be working by yourself for 5or more hours and not really do much. The manager would always be on her phone talking to people and has an attitude. She would sometimes make you do work that isn't in your job title.
Amazing management and fun atomsphere
Sales (Current Employee) –  Islandia, NYJune 25, 2018
Throughout the years that I have worked here management has done everything in their power to put my needs and the companies first. From various second jobs to school schedule, I was accommodated every time. As long as you worked hard and did the best at your tasks, this job was easy, laid back, and most of fun.
Potential, but not great
General Manager (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTJune 23, 2018
Clubs start-up was hard in areas that were unfamiliar with Retro Fitness. Corporate Management could have done more with advertising and sales and traffic were much much lower than expected. The owners struggled with the investment and were hesitant to give the GM (me) decent medical insurance and contractually promised comminsions because of financial hardship. Owners were also micro-managers who were newcomers, and completely unfamiliar with the fitness business.
Typical day
Personal Trainer/JKD Adults & Kids Instructor (Former Employee) –  East Stroudsburg, PAJune 22, 2018
Come in early, meet your morning clients then maybe your lunch and then your afternoon clients. Every body’s nice and will say hello and will greet you
Employees made it feel like a second home
Childcare Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2018
All the workers were amazing people, along with the assistant manager whom I had the pleasure of working with during most of my shifts. If I had the chance I would work there again. The best first job experience anyone could ask for!!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Customers were rude
Decent
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bordentown, NJJune 17, 2018
Retro was a decent job as a college/HS student who needs the free time most days. Working there nearly 2 years I enjoyed being "the guy" while not a manager I was the go to person for knowledge. Most days helping the manager and owner with policies and procedures.
Pros
Free Gym, Coworkers
Cons
No breaks, loosely managed, hours worked
Retro Fitness Catonsville
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Catonsville, MDJune 7, 2018
Great culture to work in - the members and staff were great. The management really cares about the members' fitness goals. The pay was not great but you learn a lot about gym safety, the environment allows you to come up with creative ways to make working out fun, and you get to work with a diverse group of people.
Pros
Positive and motivating environment; great learning curve for sales
Cons
low pay; you have to work really hard to get those commissions
Retro Fitness
GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2018
Retro has a great corporate team that really goes the extra mile.
They also promote from within. I worked my way from janitor to GM. This all happened in 1 year.
Pros
advancement in company
Cons
Certain franchiees do not follow company policy
i did not like working there
Front Desk Clerk & Day Care Observer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 26, 2018
boss has no intention of creating a good relationship with workers.
it was boring and strict, making me feel uncomfortable working there and not free to speak my mind.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
unhappy environment
mean and controlling boss
Child Care (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYMay 24, 2018
working at Retro Fitness was okay. The free gym membership certainly was used quite a bit. I was also allowed to make myself protein shakes for reduced price. the management was bad! control freak boss!
Relaxed and fun place to work.
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  West New York, NJMay 23, 2018
Retro Fitness was a first time job. I learned a lot about customer service. Inventory, childcare, marketing and sales. As a front desk agent my job was to greet people and offer them the membership deals or products of the club. I also had to keep up with all the members who reported with first credit. I was in charge of the juice bar area in which I learn how to make smoothies. I cleaned and supervised other employees.
Pros
Good job for students, relaxed.
Cons
short breaks, no good pay, no benefits.
Positive Environment
Personal Trainer/ Marketing / Group Instructor (Current Employee) –  East Windsor, NJApril 30, 2018
Retro Fitness has demonstrated that their is room for advancement once you are working for the company. I started off at front desk and now I am a personal trainer who is in charge of social media and other IT operations.
Work environment
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Brick, NJApril 29, 2018
Worked only part time. Was able to have a life while working here. Only worked about 4 hours a few days a week. Was able to make relationships with some of the parents of the kids in my care.
Fun Place to Work
Child Care and front desk attendant (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PAApril 23, 2018
Retro is a great place to work. The customers are fun to talk with and the staff feels like family. It is a very relaxed work place and the management was very understanding.
Pros
Discounts on food and merchandise.