Rev.com Employee Reviews

Work at your own pace!
FREELANCE TRANSCRIPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  VirtualMarch 20, 2019
Excellent opportunity to make some pocket change in your free time. Projects are approved almost immediately and payouts are received weekly. The expectations are clear and the projects are fair.
I enjoy the flexibility of the position
Captioniner (Current Employee) –  Home based officeMarch 15, 2019
The pay is extremely low, and would not be a suitable position as your primary employment. I complete jobs as needed for the extra cash flow. But again, the flexibility to work from home or anywhere you may be that is quiet.
Not enough training, no room for mistakes, competitive and unhelpful environment.
Freelancer (Current Employee) –  OnlineMarch 13, 2019
I've only been working with Rev for about a week. At first, it seems like a really good job, but truly it is a lot of work with next to nothing pay. Not only that, the atmosphere is extremely stressful. The transcribing itself can actually be fun and interesting. However, the environment is not worth it.
It's mostly set against new people. They give you a style guide and a few training videos, but the grades from your training videos weigh in to your total score, with no way to change it. I am one who really tries to follow directions. I tried really hard on two separate occasions to follow the style guide, but I was docked points and told to do something other than what was on their guide. That makes it very nerve-wracking to submit anything, because even if you've followed the instructions, you could still get a lower grade for something not on the style guide. Each job is graded on a scale from 1 to 5. You must maintain a 4.5 or higher to keep working there. That means that even just two 4 scores will get you on the verge of being kicked out.
Basically, you have to somehow find a way to be perceived as perfect by their ambiguous grading team, or you get locked out.
In my opinion, during the first few jobs, they should give you a sample grade, so that you can learn the ropes. Then, once you have it down, the grades will start counting. However, they don't care about maintaining the people they have.
They harbor an extremely competitive and unhelpful environment. They say that it only takes a few minutes to complete a project, however, the jobs are claimed as soon as
  more... they are posted, so it's hard to get anything under 20 minutes long (a 20 minute video could take 2-3 hours to transcribe depending on the audio quality).
The thing that gets me the most is how dishonest they are in their advertising. If they cared a little more about the people who are working for them, then maybe they could retain more workers rather than driving everyone away.
Pros
Work when you want, interesting material
Cons
Not enough training, low pay, dishonest advertising, unhelpful management, stressful and competitive work environment
It's garbage
Captioning Agent (Former Employee) –  Home BasedMarch 13, 2019
See title. Everything about Rev is sketchy. They have other "Revvers" grade your work, and if you are getting close to possibly taking their job, they can, and often will, fail you for no other reason than they felt like it.
Will not help anybody
Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Home BasedMarch 11, 2019
I got hired by Rev during the summer as a transcriber, and this was my first job. They removed me after only a week of working because I made one small mistake that could easily be fixed. I emailed them and asked for another chance, but their decisions are always final. Just out of curiosity, I applied again in about 6 months. I was hired, but could not work because my PayPal was connected to the old account I used to use for working during the summer. I emailed their support team and asked to fix my problem the day I got hired on. After only TWO DAYS, they still didn't fix my problem and removed me from the team.

When I worked during that week in the summer, it was amazing because I was making money for the first time. It was also amazing because I got to work when I wanted, so I made as much money as I wanted. It was just that one project that got my fired. It threw me off my "target" by only .01 point. I'm not sure if this makes Rev look like a scam, but they totally screwed me over for one little mistake, and they still didn't give me a chance after I learned from my mistake and improved my skills.
Pros
work whenever you want, make as much money as you want, total flexability
Cons
will not resolve problems or answer support emails on time
Good entry-level transcription job if you have grammar skills
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  HomeMarch 7, 2019
I see a lot of people reviewing Rev saying that their work is graded unfairly because the "higher ups want to keep you down." I haven't had that experience in the slightest. If your work doesn't have flaws, they always give good marks. Even when I have one or two errors, they still grade a 5/5.
People saying that they're being graded unfairly probably aren't procuring acceptable work.

My advice would be that if you feel comfortable in your grammar knowledge and feel comfortable writing in general, I would give this a go. You of course need basic typing skills as well. I type around 60 words per minute, which is certainly on the low end of transcription, but I still make $30+ in a couple of hours.

The only negative that I can think of is that it might be boring to transcribe enough to earn a full-time salary. I use Rev as a side job. There are of course no benefits, but you can work as much or as little as you want to.

Some of the audio is interesting to listen to- lots of interviews and academic or political discussions. If you have free time and you'd spend it watching T.V, you may as well spend it transcribing instead. Make some money.
Pros
build your own schedule
Cons
occasionally boring
Unfair work environment.
Transcriber (Former Employee) –  onlineMarch 4, 2019
I am sad to have to leave a bad review because I actually really loved working for Rev despite the poor pay and grueling work. However you are graded by your own peers, and all it takes is one bad grade to drop your metric out of the required 4.5 to a 4.4. Today they let me go due to this, without allowing me to review the file, argue the score, or raise my score by doing another project. Most of my work gets a 5/5, but a bad grader gets me fired? Unacceptable.
Pros
interesting projects
Cons
unfair grading situation, low pay, horrible quality files most of the time.
The pay is a lie
whatever they call newbies here (Former Employee) –  work from homeMarch 2, 2019
Companies inflating their listed salaries is a huge problem on Indeed and I was skeptical of the $1500/month listed on the posting. When you apply, they make it clear that $200 is closer to a realistic expectation. Rev pays people to transcribe audio from videos and then sync the captions with the video. The stated pay is 40 to 75 cents per audio minute (if the video is 4 minutes long, you get paid for 4 audio minutes, even if it takes an hour to do the job). Based on their pay rate, you're looking at an effective pay rate of about $1.60 to $9 per hour, depending on how fast you can work. To get the $1495 per month they're advertising, you'd have to work over 40 hours a week at their stated pay rate (and over 200 hours per week at the low end of the pay scale). This is a contract position, so you're responsible for personal and business taxes, plus there are no benefits.

I'm upset that this company falsely advertises a pay rate they have no intention of paying (it's one of the first things disclosed after agreeing to an NDA) to trick people who are desperate into working for pennies and I'm even more upset that Indeed makes it this easy for them to lie to people.
Cons
low pay, you will never make the $1495 listed on the posting
Not a real job
Audio Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  NevadaMarch 1, 2019
The compensation depends on the project you're working on. You get to pick which ones you want, but you will be vying with others as well. So if you're not fast enough you could lose out on that project. The audio quality is awful. You could spend hours on a project and only get paid $1. Your work is "graded" by other peers, not managers. I'm just doing this to get a LITTLE extra cash and to brush up on my typing skills until I get a real job, so if you think that this a work from home job that will pay all the bills, think again.
Pros
Work whenever you have time
Cons
Very low compensation
learned the world
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 1, 2019
skilfull healthcare brightness poorness goodness short breaks free lunches brave benefits confidential enjoyable typical day learned workplace culture.
Online Sweatshop
Typist (Former Employee) –  OnlineFebruary 26, 2019
Another online sweatshop, designed to milk money from new employees until they realize it's a scam. You have to not only type the terrible audio quality absolutely perfectly even if you can't understand or hear the speaker but align the audio as well. Even if you are a fast typist, having to time the jobs as well will net you at most $4 an hour.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Slave wages and bad audio quality
Fine if you REALLY need money
Transcriber (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 26, 2019
I've been doing Rev transcriptions on-and-off for three years now and it's alright, but you're always going to do way more work than you're going to be paid for. It mainly depends on the client, but, best case, you'll be paid 95 cents per minute. Most files are usually 60 to 70 cents per minute and you'll be lucky if you can even understand most of the files. Obviously, you have to make the file usable to clients, so this leads to extra hours of work just trying to decipher what you're given.

That being said, at least Rev has a forum where you can share files to get help from fellow "Revvers", where they can listen and try to help you make sense of garbled audio. You're also given an hour of preview time in which you can unclaim the file without any penalty to yourself. Past that hour, and you'll take a hit to your commitment ratio. Too many hits to that ratio and you're subject to have your account terminated.

As far as actual pay goes, if you're incredibly good at understanding muffled speaking in a noisy recording, then you'll do well. Better than most, in fact. On the other hand, if you're not that amazing, a half hour file with a 95 cent pay rate translates into 3-4 hours of work for about $28.50. That's best case. So the only way to really make that money count is to be faster and more accurate with very difficult audio files.

My advice is to try to use this as a leg-up for a full-time transcription job that'll pay better in the end.
Pros
Work from home, choose which files you do, choose how long you work, training
Cons
No benefits, difficult work most of the time, not the best pay out there
This is a REVolving door.
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  OnlineFebruary 25, 2019
Okay, dumb pun. But here's the thing:

If you're smart, and have some kind of audio-voyeuristic thing, then give it a whirl. It's kind of interesting.

What it isn't, though, is a long list; it isn't long-term, it isn't rational, it isn't decent paying, and it isn't fair. I don't mean "fair" in a "Jack and Jill each get a cookie." kind of way, I mean "fair" as in standards and guidelines which are clear and universal.

Your peers are your "graders", and their say is it. The end. The Word of the Rev God will have spoken.

There's a button you can schmash to dispute a grade when it becomes clear that the grader is a moron, but the dispute GOES TO THE GRADER FOR REVIEW. So each time you submit a transcription, it is a roll of the dice whether the person grading your work will be your intellectual equal, or if they will be a mouth-breathing college freshman who is trying to bring in enough pocket change to buy a dime bag.

Spoiler alert:
At $0.32 a word minute, couch cushions are probably a lot more apt to yield...and frankly, the cushions are a lot less frustrating to interact with.
Pros
You can pick whatever you want to work on.
Cons
Just pick a con that you can think of, and assume it should be on this list.
Not worth the time
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 25, 2019
The audio/video quality is often poor, the jobs are long, the grading system is inaccurate, and quality control is unrealistic in the assessment of work. There is little to no support. I thought once I got to the second tier, things would be better. Unfortunately, that was not the case.
Pros
You can work any time.
Cons
Very low pay, no support, inaccurate and inconsistent grading
Pay isn't worth the effort/freedom
Video captioner (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 24, 2019
At Rev, you start with training videos as a Rookie. It's easy at first, none of the videos are longer than 5 minutes usually, and you get paid $0.40-$0.45 per audio minute that you caption. You have to caption (and be graded on) 60 audio minutes before you can advance.
Once you advance, you're allowed to work on videos sent straight from customers. The videos are much longer, usually averaging around 40 minutes or so, with the occasional ones that are only a few minutes or even up to 2 hours. The deadlines for many of them are too tight, and the pay isn't even close to minimum wage.

I would not recommend working for Rev unless you are desperate, or have no other way to earn a little cash on the side.
Pros
Able to work whenever you want
Cons
Pay is horrible and deadlines are too tight
Only positive thing is you schedule your own 'hours'
Transcriber (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 20, 2019
I type over 90 wpm with perfect accuracy. I've put in about 12 to 13 hours with this company and only made 19 usd.

The audio files are usually trash and they mark you off for not being able to hear the garbled and mumbled words that these people expect you to transcribe.

They have other 'revvers' reviewing your grades, which is a CONFLICT OF INTEREST within its own company, because the more revvers joining, the less jobs available for them, so it's up to the greed of the reviewer. I had one give me a perfect score even though I had over 7 errors on a 23 minute interview. I had another give me a failing grade because I couldn't understand someone who didn't speak english well, pronouncing towns that were just dirt paths and huts in new guinea (and that was an actual training only transcribe).

They say you get better choices once you perform over an hour of audio transcribing at a lower rate than the 40 cents per minute rate (usually 30 cents or less), but you have to keep a perfect score. The extra choices are even WORSE AUDIO QUALITY than the prior ones for 'noobies'.

If I type at full speed without any breaks (which will give your wrists cramps, trust me) I can make 2 to 3 usd an hour.

The truth is, I can't find enough usable audio to transcribe to keep busy enough to make it worthwhile.

I have read the only way people are making the 1,500 usd a month rate are working all day long, every day, using speech to text programs/bots. I'm not sure how accurate that rumor is, because the background noise is ridiculous. I got marked off when someone turned
  more... up the music on an interview after talking about their playlist and mumbled in the background, for not being able to transcribe what they said. All you can hear is music, nothing else. I thought they stopped talking. I contested it and nothing happened, so I'm just at the margin of being terminated by the company.

I use to transcribe before and performed data entry over the years. I have never seen a company run this way and I don't expect them to be relevant, or even operating, in a few years.

Also, 'gonna' is a word honored by dictionaries and they marked me off when that was the only word a southerner used in an interview talking about black history month celebrations going on in Alabama. They also marked me about band names I knew, and I couldn't contest it, so NOW I have to worry about the people who will get the transcription back and see the obviously wrong spelled name of these bands and that will reflect on ME, not the ignoramus who 'incorrected' me while reviewing my work.

I would only recommend this for someone who wants to sit around and make NOTHING AT ALL for the hours spent. about 20 minutes of audio took me over 2 hours to complete, since I kept track with my stopwatch.

You could use it as 'experience' in the field, but given how it's contracted work, you could fluff it up and simply do a couple of jobs here and there and use it towards other companies that pay well, but most of them have much higher expectations of requirements and skills to work for them.
Pros
learning experience of how poor of a company this place is
Cons
pay, hours, job quality, reviewing, management, quality control, job stability, benefits (none)
Easy freelance work
Captioning Agent (Current Employee) –  Carson City, NVFebruary 16, 2019
Working for REV has been a wonderful experience. In making my own money and working at my own time, I was able to have a part time job and spend more time with my daughter. It has been a fast and easy way to make extra funds.
Pros
Make your own hours, freelance, pick the projects.
Cons
A lot of computer time, time sensitive projects
Okay
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  OnlineFebruary 16, 2019
Rev is an okay gig. Definitely not a full time job. There were a lot more options for work when I started there than by the tine I was done. I never really made more than $50 a week or so. Most times you get paid 54 cents per audio minute, I believe, which considering the amount of work you do and how often you spend on a project, is not great. But you can work as much or as little as you want, reach out on the message board to other workers and higher ups, and you get emails when there’s a particularly high workload, so that’s all nice.
Pros
Self-pace, work when and where you want, helpful staff
Cons
Low pay considering amount of work you do
Will Let You Go For No Reason
Revver+ Captioner (Former Employee) –  work from homeFebruary 15, 2019
Just don't work here.

So, I've been working for Rev for a few years now, and have always had really good graded work with them, and was a Revver+ (highest tier of worker). I tend to take the harder files because I like them and they pay a little more, and even doing that, I had high metrics.

Then a few nights ago around 11 p.m., after finishing a low-paying 1:30:00 job, I get an email immediately saying I was let go for bad metrics. It also said the decision was final. I have tried to reach out for clarification, but the company will not respond. Let's see if they actually pay me what they owe me for this week... there are rumors that when this happens, they don't pay.

So, tell me how great metrics and on-time submissions and good commitment ratios is grounds for cutting me off from work? I rely on the extra money I make through this company - on top of a full-time job - because that's the way of the world these days. How does Rev justify this behavior? It's obviously a trend - not just from accounts here but all across the web.

Just don't work here.
Pros
work from home, self-paced scheduling
Cons
they don't care about workers, will fire for no reason
Fun but low paying
Transcriptionist and Captionist (Current Employee) –  NCFebruary 12, 2019
Working with Rev.com is fun and a good way to work in your free time. You can do transcription, captioning, and some more. The job isn't too hard, but unfortunately, it doesn't pay too well. For example, It probably will take an hour to transcribe a thirty-minute audio file, but they'll only pay you for thirty minutes. (Or however long the audio file is).
Pros
You make your own schedule
Cons
You're not paid too well

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rev.com. Our community is ready to answer.