Rev.com
57Below average
2.7

Rev.com Employee Reviews

United States700 reviews
Great idea but no support.
Rev is a great idea in theory, but their metrics system is absurd. If you are graded poorly on one project, you are given only one warning and very vague tips to improve. The grading is done by other 'approved' freelancers and is terribly inconsistent, and challenging the grading does nothing.
Great Idea, Poor Execution
Rev utilizes a unique style guide. Most of the information for the style guide is really helpful, and I've appreciated most examples. However, I've noticed some of the content on their own guides is contradictory and inconsistent. Additionally, they do not provide examples of certain commonly used items. I recognize it is impossible to provide all examples, but would have appreciated them erring on the side of more. My main area of concern is that, on several occasions, I used the verbatim example they had in the guide, but they then graded me down in my submission. I think it is understandable I would be confused and frustrated with their recourse in this case. The company requires meeting a certain average grading level, and now my marks are suffering because of their contradictions. Grading is done by certified reviewers, who have different interpretations of the grading scale and do not uniformly assign the marks. Worker's scores will range widely because of this inherent bias. When starting out, it's also difficult to move outside of the trajectory of previous scores. Using a more automated grading system at the beginning of a worker's experience would ensure more fairness.
I've also been wanting of certain topics such as abbreviations to be covered in the Style Guide, which are not at all. When an abbreviation comes up in the testing, and it's not covered in the guide, why then would I be graded down, and so harshly? Why not just point it out so I can move on? And, how can we be graded down on something we were not taught? It's been a frustrating experience for
No Guidance, Underpaid, Excessively-Strict
I started off at Rev and was captioning as best I could...I quickly realized how underpaid I was. If I took all of the time needed to even reach the desired metrics/grading, I was getting paid so little it wasn't even worth it. In order to even border on minimum wage, I tried to go faster and granted there were more errors. But it makes no sense to pay somebody only for the length of the project without considering how much time it really takes..especially if you're going to grade their work so strictly and offer no help or guidance in return.
Limited available support and training
The support is lacking, you get paid very little per job, and the grading is inconsistent. The style guide doesn't give an in depth understanding which leads to revvers relying in forums of other revvers to solve their questions. oftentimes you can be waiting a while for workable projects.
Cons
low pay, low support, inconsistent guidelines
You get paid pennies for your time, and you're supposed to be thrilled about it.
The pay is pathetic (generally no more than 50 cents per audio minute, which takes a minimum of 5 minutes to transcribe), most of the work you can get is badly recorded and almost indecipherable. They terminate people with no warning and for no given reason. If the price of audio gets "too high" (more than a dollar per audio minute) they'll hire a bunch of new people, who get paid far less, and who are so desperate that they'll take any job they can get. Horrible place to work.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Pay is not enough
You can work for many hours and not be paid for even the minimum wage. There are not many videos available and you need to be chasing them all the time.
DO NOT APPLY: worst freelancing job so far
I worked for this "company" for a month as a subtitler. The pay is not exceptional, but it's acceptable, you can work from home, manage your time and learn interesting things. These are the only positive sides, because this company is a total scam. Let me tell you why.
First of all, all the works appear on a dashboard and you have to claim them as soon as you can, so you are constantly at war with the other subtitlers like you. Once you claim your job, they give you some hours to complete it, depending on the length of the video. I completed many jobs. Only few of them were easy to understand, but the others were incomprehensible and bad because of the very thick accents. In many cases, the script in the source language was full of mistakes (unbelievable), and I tried my best to make the translation comprehensible, spending hours on refining the quality of projects.

Secondly, the projects are rated according to bizarre criteria, and the raters are other revvers that do not even know the target language and write a lot of false things about your work: they may find mistranslations only to criticize your work harshly. To sum up, the rating is totally unfair.

Third, they close your account if you work doesn't meet their inconsistent "standards". So, even if you are a good translator with a good rating, they may close your account with no reason, without giving you the opportunity to know why. This was my case. Moreover, if you send them an email to ask for explanations, they disappear.

It may be good to start, but it's too stressful and definitely not worth your time and
 - more...
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Stressful and low pay
BS Grading & Pay
You work on a project for 1 hr but get paid $2. Guides for how to do captions properly are insufficient and disorganized. Support is inconsistent and non-existent. Grading is also unreliable especially considering that your Help page is severely lacking.
Pros
Flexible timewise, fun work
Cons
Everything else
I'm pretty sure this is a pyramid scam.
This "job" is touted as work from home. Which it is. But they don't tell you that you'll be working for roughly $1 an hour. If you're lucky you'll be getting about $3.50 an hour.

Very few of the projects are professionally done. It's mostly low-grade videos often with audio that's really poor or from someone with a super thick accent making you have to work longer thus making less.

Their grading metrics as they call them are completely unregulated and often times the current grader's comments contradict previous grader's comments making it impossible to really improve. Which it seems like that is the name of the game. If you don't get up to Rev+ and other levels you're kept working on very poor files that pay nothing yet it generates a lot of content produced for Rev with them paying very little to their workforce.

Currently the rate of pay is by the minutes of video dialogue. Most videos pay rate is a range between .54 cents a video minute to .61 cents. So if that video is 5 mins/.54 cents a min you make $2.70. It can roughly take an hour to do 5 minutes of dialogue. If the video is difficult - say someone with a very thick accent or speaks extremely quickly, it can take 1.5-2 hours. In that case you're making $1.45 an hour.

If you can manage to rank up I'm told the videos are better quality and pay more but it feels pretty impossible to be perfect on every video, and if you don't get 5 stars in nearly every category you don't rank up. Hence how the pyramid scheme feeling comes into play.

If you're looking to make an extra $200 a month this is a great way
Good for some
You can make $10 a week or $500 a week. If you work a lot, you'll get paid more. If you just need some extra cash from time to time, this is a good job that isn't too needy. Management has tried to accommodate as best they can. There is a nice community that is willing to help when asked.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Rev.com?
Fully remote and flexible hours, horrible pay and unfair grading
Should be considered a scam for the way they run things. Yes, it's fully remote. However, there's hardly any projects to choose from. You could be sitting at your laptop for 2 hours before you snag a decent project to transcribe. You'll hardly ever get steady work back to back. And don't expect any work on the weekends. Your graded unfairly and it seems like each person has a different grading style. I've had multiple occasions where I was marked off on something and then I asked a different Revver chat team member about the same situation, and was told something completely opposite. Seems like poor communication throughout the whole company. I also want to point out that if Rev decides to deactivate your account, then they can do so at any time and won't give you any reason. Their website says that if you fall below their metrics that you're account will be closed. However in my experience, my account was closed with no warning and I was given no reason. The stranger part is my account was closed RIGHT after I submitted and received a 5/5 grade on two projects back to back. Dispute it you say? Oh, well the company wants to make sure communication with them is now going to be zero to none. Once they deactivate your account, they also strip you of being able to communicate with anyone in Rev. No chat support, forums, team members. The whole thing seems so wrong. My advice is go look for better transcribing companies that treat their independent contractors better- they're out there! But if you want to sit at your laptop for 4 hours transcribing a 40 minute poor audio quality - more...
Nice transcribing site
This very trusted site for a transcriptionalist.It is secure and fast.I suggest you to work with rev.com
It will be give you a opporsunity to work friendly
Pros
Nice
Cons
Nice
Should be marked as a scam by the federal government
This company is getting away with highway robbery. They are paying far less than minimum wage and not following labor standards and laws.

It is an absolute waste of time to work for them.

They are particularly taking advantage during this time when people need to work from home.
Inconsistent graders but well paying.
The grading system at rev is not favourable at all. The graders are largely inconsistent and you'll probably get your account closed for typically no known reasons and their decision is final. No explanation, no nothing.

The pay is proportional to effort made and projects availability is excellent. Generally working on Rev as a side gig is perfect when you perfect your skill to their guide
Overly Critical Undervalues Employees
Rev has great platform, and a substandard grading system.
I enjoyed the video content, and their confidentiality policies were all very professional. My metrics were scattered depending on the rater, and I had 100% on time commitment to all the assignments I accepted. However, after receiving 5 out of 5 on my most recent assignment I received an email saying I was no longer in the system, and there would be no follow up or further connection. I find this dishonest, poor work culture, and poor employee relations. This company will find themselves without quality workers that they need due to lack of any kind of training period, inconsistent grading, overly critical raters, and poor communication. The website platform is promising as an idea, but due to mismanagement and lack of any kind of learning period for new employees rev will find itself floundering and dealing with substandard content. I see captions all the time with poor quality on public programming, as well as in classroom content. This is too important a service to toss aside quality employees to save money.
Good job if you want to make money on the side.
Pros:
•Make your own schedule

•Choose which projects you want to work on that have a corresponding payout based on video length

Cons:

•if there are multiple people on the site (everyone is at home due to COVID-19) its difficult getting a project before someone else claims it.
Allows bullying on forum
I was bullied on the forum. I was told to flag so I did so and got accused of abusing the flagging system. I defended myself and got yelled at for that too. My account has been closed for an unknown reason. Of course, I can't explain everything here. I guess it should just be known that the forum moderator will take the side of bullies and remove the victims of the bullying. Rev also does not welcome people who live with mental health issues or disabilities on their forum and will bully you until you leave and close your account if you do anything besides take it. My advice respect yourself and work for a company that values you. Rev is not that company.
lots of work little pay
I would say don't bother but I worked there for a while and got a better job because of it. So if you want transcription experience I would go for it but don't expect to make any real money.
Low pay for long hours
What is good about Rev is you can set your own hours and work remotely.
On the other hand you will be working long and grueling hours just to make a wage lower than your average fast food worker.

For example even if you are fast and accurate, it could still take hours to transcribe a 10 minute audio file, due to the quality of the of the audio clips they are uploading.

Some of the graders remain fair and professional, but there are a fair share of graders who are not, even if what you put was accurate they could always claim it isn't and grade it incorrectly.
Rev Transcription Associate Sidejob
If you have the patience and self-discipline to work completely remotely with a completely free schedule, the work can give a beneficial boost to your income in your downtime.
Company does not respect or value independent contractors
When I first started at Rev in 2013, they were a good company to work for. As the years passed, they made many changes to compensation and evaluation, none in favor of the transcriptionists. I no longer work for them.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rev.com. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Rev.com.