Rev.com Employee Reviews

Do not work for them
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  RemoteNovember 12, 2018
This company is unreasonable. If you advance through the ranks too quickly, there are QC's to strike you down. They don't want other Revvers to advance to where they are and they will fight to keep you down. VERY unfair company with unreasonable policies. It's a crazy system where your performance is subjective to which QC you get. It's really sad. I do not recommend this job for anyone looking for job security. Do not believe their phony little video!
Literally less than $1/hr
former captioner/transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  remoteNovember 11, 2018
Seriously, no lie, it takes 2 hrs or more to complete a transcription job, and an average of 4 hrs per captioning job. The training is subpar because if you have any questions you have to email them and wait for days before you get a response but you project is due by a certain time (usually within 4 hrs). Your mistakes are counted against you but you have to do the best you can because there is no phone number or live chat (chat is available but there usually isn't anyone live to chat with when you need them). But the kicker is the pay literally equates to 30 cents, 50 cents, very rarely even $1 per hour. A 4 hour job pays about $6 and you'd better not make a mistake because no one is there to help you or answer a question until days later and by then you have been graded on the job. It's stressful and you put in about 6-10 hours per day. Your paychecks are about $30/wk or if you put in a ridiculous amount of hours you just MIGHT earn $60/wk. TOTALLY RIDICULOUS! THINK ABOUT IT; YOU COULD MAKE MORE MONEY THAT THAT COLLECTING BOTTLES FOR RECYCLING. I'M NOT KIDDING.
Pros
work in your pajamas
Cons
absolute slave wages; should be illegal
Work is fun, pay is terrible
Captioner (Current Employee) –  OnlineNovember 8, 2018
I enjoyed working for Rev, the captioning job is neat.. and I got to watch some cool videos I wouldn't have watched otherwise, but the pay is terrible. A 10 minute video takes me about 40 minutes to complete and I'd make about $2. It's insanely low. I work every night for about 2 hours and I might make $40 in the week.
Pros
Easy, fun work
Cons
Pay is terrible
Look elsewhere for freelance transcription offers
Freelance Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 8, 2018
The work was horrendous, videos/audio were unintelligible/impossible-to-transcribe under their guidelines which will strangle you and are downright insane, they want you to complete 1000 1 minute videos to work up a "safety net" to fall back on if your captioning doesn't meet their grades. Take my advice, look somewhere else if you want to provide captioning for videos.
Shocking how they drop you over nothing
Revver (Former Employee) –  SCNovember 7, 2018
I actually enjoyed working for Rev and the pay was better than another service I had worked for.
My metric scores for accuracy and formatting were NEVER low, 4.5 and 5.0, but I had a couple of files that I was not able to finish on time, less than 5 minutes of audio left on each, so my completion score dropped from an 8 to a 7. First, they sent me a warning to be careful but they next day they closed my account, right after a had transcribed another file. It's shocking the way they operate. You would think they would like to keep those whose files are consistently accurate but I suppose they have so many people working that they just cut you without a second thought. I really can't recommend them because of this. It's ridiculous to say the least.
Pros
Very flexible schedule. Pay is alright.
Cons
Ridiculous metric standard. No second chances.
Not the best
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCNovember 4, 2018
Very hard to get decent jobs. It is worse than the last 30 seconds on an Ebay auction. Many of the jobs offered at literally trash and cannot be transcribed at all. The pay is one of the lowest in the transcribing biz, and management does not respond in a timely manner to issues and problems. Small issues are punished by being knocked down from a Revver+, whihc gains you access to more and better jobs, to just a Revver, which has the trash left over from what the Revver+ didn't want. This is also where beginners are started, so it takes awhile before you can work your way into the advanced group. The pay is just not worth all the time and energy invested into trying to transcribe a job that is barely English, barely audible, and many times has so many people talking at once you cannot possibly distinguish who is who.
Pros
they pay every Monday morning
Cons
selection of jobs is horrid, pay is minimal
Drop you for no real reason & no communication regarding it.
Freelancer (Former Employee) –  onlineNovember 4, 2018
I loved doing video transcription.

My metrics dropped below the expectation, due to a couple of jobs where I scored low. My last jobs were all 5/5.

I increased my metrics .... but they cancelled my account anyway & did not allow me a 2nd chance and will not return my emails.
Pros
Do on your own time, $ goes into Paypal
Cons
They cancel your account without further communication or 2nd chances
Easy, Relaxed-pace but very little room for mistakes
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeNovember 1, 2018
I loved my job here as a transcriptionist because it was work from home and I was able to choose the hours I worked. I actually didn't like that I was graded by fellow Revvers and on more than one occasion I had to dispute my grade because the grader was wrong where they were trying to correct me.
Pros
Great pay, work hours, work from home
Cons
grading failures, little to no room for mistakes, gettting a response from the company can take a long time
Run away from them
Freelancer (Former Employee) –  Rotterdam, NYNovember 1, 2018
If you are a freelancer, you will be spending hours on their platform struggling to get a project as when you respond to the notification, the project would already be taken. And your account can be closed by the company for no reason. You won't receive the payment for the work done.
Great work availability and flexibility, hard to make any money.
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Home BasedOctober 27, 2018
I loved working for Rev. I was able to log on any time I wanted to work and almost always find plenty of jobs available ranging from a few minutes to over an hour with reasonable turn-around times. Job types and subject matter varied, and every job could be reviewed before committing to take it. I found the help desk responsive and other employees available to answer questions. I enjoyed the work and routinely received excellent reviews from customers and managers alike (documented in emails) but was fired along with other employees before our high marks would have moved us to the highest pay level. This is extremely frustrating because in every other way Rev was the best job I've had in over 20 years as a transcriptionist.
Pros
Great work
Cons
No advancement in pay rate
Not Worth It
Closed Caption Writer (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeOctober 26, 2018
Not a lot of opportunities to advance, and in my experience looking for similar work with higher pay, not a lot of other captioning companies recognize Rev as experience. Once you reach the top of their pay scale the only thing you can do is wait to see if they offer to let you into quality control, which you CAN'T apply for or even say you're interested in.

There's no opportunities to go higher in the company and the top level of pay isn't enough to be worth working for them. It's barely minimum wage even when you manage to snag high paying projects.
Pros
work from home, make your own schedule
Cons
low pay, no chance of advancement
Waste of time
Revver (Former Employee) –  Home BasedOctober 25, 2018
The pay is ridiculously low for what is expected. They poorly grade your projects then deactivate your account without warning.
There are so many WAH jobs to choose from that this one is not worth your time.
Pros
Home
Cons
Everything else
flexible job
Captioner/ Transcriber (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 25, 2018
The training isn't that helpful. Your work is judged by people from the same job position who have just done it longer. The amount you get paid versus the work you does not make it seem worth it. It's a work from home job which is nice. It gives you an incredible amount of flexibility, but again you don't get paid well.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
pay
Worst Place to Work
Transcriptionist/Editor (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 23, 2018
All the good that rev will do for you is to motivate you to apply to another job. The pay is painfully low, the grading system is arbitrary and based partially on the opinion of other 'Revvers' the only way the company can get good articles about themselves is through their own publications.
Pros
None. I wouldn't wish working here on my worst enemy
Cons
Slave Wages, You will have to complete your own taxes, 'Upper Level' employees still likely won't make minimum wage
Work when you can
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Heber City, UTOctober 23, 2018
Rev.com is actually quite a great "side job" you get to work only when you can and as long as you can. If you can listen then you can work here. A lot of typing is involved but thats usually how home jobs are. You get paid per minute you work.
Pros
work on our own time, easy work, interestion projects
Cons
Tired hands, poor pay on certain jobs
Love it!
Revver (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILOctober 22, 2018
I don't feel like people give this company enough credit. Granted, I'm a quicker than normal typer, but still. I feel that if it's taking you 4 hours to do a 30 minute transcription, maybe this job isn't for you. I have made plenty of money to help with bills and such while working a few evenings a week and a few hours on the weekend.
Pros
Lots of jobs, pay
Cons
A lot of the audio is poor quality and difficult to transcribe.
Supportive Coworkers but extremely low pay
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 18, 2018
I'd like to start off by saying that working for Rev definitely helps out when money is extremely tight, but not by much. The rate of pay per audio minute is ridiculous compared to how strict the formatting and accuracy grading is. I can spend 5 hours on a file only to make $20 from it, and it seems that Rev has no intention of raising the minimum pay. This is my largest complaint.

However, most of the other transcribers in the forum are wonderful and helpful. It's also great that I can transcribe the files from home, work, or school.
Pros
Work from home, supportive coworkers
Cons
Insultingly low pay
Terrible for reasons I did not expect.
Captioner (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 17, 2018
When I began at Rev, I read reviews complaining about low pay and poor audio quality. Truth is, those weren't so bad. Obviously, in an online job with a barebones application process, you aren't going to make minimum wage. If you type fast and have a good ear, you can sometimes make some good money. I really enjoyed the work, the videos we watched and captioned were entertaining and made the time go by quickly.

Unfortunately, everything falls apart when it comes to grading. I read a few things about this prior to starting, but I didn't realize how god-awful it was. The style guide - which you must adhere to, is ridiculously specific on some things, but also very ambiguous on others. This means that the people grading you can have their own ideas on what the style guide intends.

There are three categories you are graded on between 1 and 5. Supposedly 4.5 is the "target". I don't know about you, but when I read "target", I think it's something to aim for. In this instance, when they say "target", they mean "4.5 is the minimum or we deactivate your account."

Seems pretty simple, just proofread your work, right? Well, what happened to me, is I made two little mistakes. I used a music atmospheric instead of writing the song lyrics out, and I didn't capitalize a proper noun version of the word "Lake". Typically, what happened for the first couple weeks in these instances, is that I would receive a 3 or 4 for one typo, and a 2 or a 3 for a big formatting error. This grader decided he wanted to give me all 1's. Including in caption alignment. My caption syncing was perfect,
  more... so I knew that all the 1s were bogus.

They have a feature where you can dispute your grade, but you'd have better luck buying a megaphone and screaming in the general direction of the Rev.com office. Nobody is going to respond to your grading dispute. The graders run the site, and they ran me out.

Once my formatting metric dropped to 4.4, I received a warning. I thought "I'll be careful and only do one or two a day as to not start making careless errors, that'll get it back up". What they don't tell you, is that when it drops below 4.5, you have a 48 hour window to get it back up, or you're done forever.

So that's my story. If you want to make some money at 4 dollars an hour for a week or two, go for it. Don't expect it to last. Management is probably away on an island somewhere.
Pros
Better pay than expected, work at home, work when you want
Cons
Audio quality is despicable, graders are unchecked, style guide is both too specific and too ambiguous, no adequate explanation of metric system.
Freelance
FREELANCE AUDIO TRANSCRIPTION AND DATA ENTRY (Former Employee) –  HomeOctober 16, 2018
Easy formatting, easy to do on your own time. The transcription software is intuitive and easy to work with. A good way to make a little extra money on your own time.
The skinny on REV
Online Freelance Transcription (Former Employee) –  Covington, WAOctober 16, 2018
This is a great company for those wanting a career in transcription. This company not only has a training for the Novice transcriptionist, but they also make it easy to complete the jobs available. After transcribing your initial assessment, REV lets you know if you can continue into the next phase of the process.

One of the best aspects of this company is that you don't need to purchase any special equipment for the transcriptions. You will however need a quiet place to work and make sure that you take the assessment seriously because you will have to apply what you learned to each transcription available.

The pay is based on the type of transcription that is needed. So One can make $500 or more a week once the pass the final assessment and being working as a paid transcriber. If you fail the final assessment you have to wait a year to reapply.
Pros
No need to purchase any equipment for the jobs available
Cons
Have to wait a year to reapply.