Rev.com Employee Reviews

Don't bother
Freelancer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 16, 2019
This "job" is a joke. I've only been on here a couple of days. They have no tech support if you have real trouble only instructions via email or forums are available. You can't speak to an actual person to get help. Once I finally figured out my technical issue on my own, there is so little work it's unreal. There must be thousands of people competing for the same work. The little work available is work that other transcribers have rejected mid-typing due to poor audio quality.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
SCAM ALERT! Advancement to next levels unrealistic
Captioning Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2019
Company does not follow their grading policy as stated. One minor error, that someone "grading" has to fix, makes you fail the project. No way to go back and correct after the grade. Grading was easy at the beginning to get you to caption 60 minutes for them to move up a level and then they remove your account pretty quickly after that. Pretty good scam though.
Pros
Work whenever you want
Cons
Low pay, no appreciation for time spent, fires quickly
Don't bother unless you are desperate.
Video Captioner (Current Employee) –  FLJanuary 11, 2019
Good:
Work from home.
You get to choose what videos you caption and when you want to work.
You have time to unclaim a video without penalty, and that time and your deadline are on the captioning screen to reference.
Bad:
Jobs start in the top of 3 tiers(Revver+) and remain there for 1.5 hours. Which means that that queue could have hundreds of available jobs, but my middle tier(Revver) could be empty. This is often the case during the day when I want to work. In the evenings my queue is most active/full.
Most grading is helpful and fair, but a few grades have been unfair and/or condescending.
Training is very much on the job and could be vastly improved. The problem is that when you make errors when learning the ropes it will count against your metrics. You need to keep those up in order to stay with the company and move up.
The deadlines can be tight especially if you have a hard video.
Many videos are poor quality.
Some videos are a lot harder to caption than others, but there seems to be no consideration in this regard.
I cannot stress this enough. The pay is pitiful. Trust me on this one. It takes a lot of time and effort to caption an average video, and you will not be paid anywhere near what that time and effort are worth.
You are a number with no job security.
I would describe my experience with Rev as very disappointing and frustrating.
It's better than nothing. So, if you are desperate for some extra income for one reason or another this may fill up some of your time, but it won't fill up your wallet.
Pros
stay home
Cons
peanuts for pay
Hire a bunch of people so that the people have been there longest are fighting for transcription minutes
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  HomeJanuary 8, 2019
Been with them for years. Done now. They have you on metrics and there were no files to transcribe for much of the holiday season so your metrics dropped, which means you can only try to get lousy files, through no fault of your own. Ridiculous.
Pros
Pick your hours to TRY to get a decent file to transcribe
Transcription
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 7, 2019
Not a job to take if you want a good amount of money. Only take as a side job if you want the extra money. The jobs are payed well enough for the amount of time they take.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
Low Pay
Poor work
Captioner (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 7, 2019
This is a job that is work from home which is great. The pay is completely terrible. They will pay someone .40 a recorded video hour so if it takes a person an hour to do a 2 minute video, that person gets paid .80. Yup, you heard it. 80 cents an hour. I think McDonald's pays a little better than that. Not too mention the quality of videos are terrible and very very difficult to understand the speakers or they speak so fast you have to be Speedy Gonzales to keep up. Either way a part time job at Walmart pays much better without the stress.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
Extremely pay, very low quality jobs to work with
Okay for a temporary job
Transcriptionist - Remote (Former Employee) –  Lumberport, WVJanuary 5, 2019
The biggest complaint I have working for Rev is: some of the audio files you have to type are impossible to understand. Background noise, more than two speakers, foreign accents. It really requires good listening skills and the faster you are, the more money you can make.
Exploitative, Unfair, Condescending, Horrible Pay
Captioner, Transcriber (Former Employee) –  remote locationsJanuary 4, 2019
No matter how fast you type, how good your formatting is, and how accurate you are, the workload far surpasses the pay, which is below minimum wage and completely unfair. It takes awhile to move up, and even if you do, the pay is still not worth it especially considering the amount of time and work required of you. Don't waste your time with this unfair, exploitative company.
Pros
You can stop working for Rev and being exploited by them
Cons
below minimum wage pay, time, poor quality audio, poor quality video
Poor pay and harsh grading
Work at Home Agent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 4, 2019
I am on my third day this week on Rev.com. I have gotten started at 6:30 AM and finished at 3 PM. My compensation has been a whopping 30 dollars.
A two-minute video takes me 30 to 45 minutes but I am still in the Rookie status. That makes me a dollar or so. I'm a bit nervous to take longer projects because the graders are so harsh. The longer the project, the more that can go wrong.
I've been refreshing my page for 2 hours today and have only gotten one project. This is certainly not something that you can rely on for any sort of regular income.
The graders can be harsh and often contradict themselves. I wonder if some of them take pleasure in harming others' metrics. There is an option to dispute a grade but they often side with the grader.
The style guide is quite complicated and a lot to remember. The graders will tell you to refer to page such and such on the style guide. There have been a few times where that page had no information on my alleged mistake.
There is also the "Ask an Expert" option, which is a live chat of sorts. I asked a question yesterday and am still waiting for a reply. I finally just unclaimed the project so that someone else could have it. I hope my contribution helped.
I am going to keep going for a couple more weeks to see if things improve but am looking into other options for work at home.
Pros
set your own hours when there are projects, informative and entertaining videos
Cons
low pay, harsh and contradicting graders
Not a horrible place
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Decatur, INJanuary 3, 2019
It wouldn't be my first choice to work but it is factory. Some people can do it some people can't. You leave when the job is completed could be 8 hrs could be 10 hrs you never know
Great job, but low pay
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  OnlineDecember 31, 2018
I love working here. The pay is almost immediate, very reliable, even on holidays, directly to PayPal. You get to choose your jobs, your hours. The pay is very low, though. Work is interesting.
Pros
Freedom, quick, reliable pay, interesting work
Cons
Very low pay
Bad place to work if you just want to make a quick buck
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 28, 2018
It takes a long to advance from a rookie to a normal worker on Rev, having to meet specific metrics that are out of my range. You need a good set of headphones too to understand the audio, and half of the audio on there is unintelligible (not rev's fault) from my experience. Only good thing I got out from it is faster typing speeds. Also, the pay is horrible.
It's a freelancer site also, so don't expect too much.
Pros
You get to pause from work at any time you want
Cons
Bad pay, horrible payouts, takes too long to advance
football
mehdi (Former Employee) –  Constantine, MIDecember 28, 2018
i listen and write because this is my best job
i laerned english language
i like football and i hate basketball
i work in constantine at my house
i like animals especilly rabbit
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short braeks
Flexible
Freelance Captionist (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXDecember 28, 2018
Good option if you can type well and are looking for flexibility. If you want to earn more, you will need to dedicate a lot of time to prove your abilities.
Good For Extra Income
General Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 19, 2018
Rev is good if you are looking for extra income. If you are looking to make a living wage, I do not recommend contracting with them. The most enjoyable part of the job is working from home whenever you want.
Fun Work Bad Pay
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  ShenZhen, CNDecember 18, 2018
It's simply not enough to cover bills. They say if you work really quickly you make more, but so many of the jobs have such terrible audio quality that it's very difficult to accomplish this on a regular basis and maintain high accuracy.
Pros
Work whenever you want
Cons
no quality control for audio, bad pay
Perfect if you are a Self-Motivator
Transciptionist (Current Employee) –  SLC, UTDecember 15, 2018
I'm so glad I've found this company. I already have a part time job and I wanted another to supplement my income. After scouring my area and finding that NO one is actually hiring part time, I came upon Rev and have been happy ever since. I make more than the average wage because I'm quite good at typing and I have the time and quiet to complete my work. Pay comes to your PayPal weekly and I've had absolutely zero problems with any of it. The faster and more accurate you are the more you make. I can work when I want, even at 3 AM if I want to. Best Job EVER!
Pros
Work literally WHENEVER you want.
Cons
Not a lot of work on weekends.
Over-rated
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 14, 2018
Good learning experience, but ridiculous expectations. Most assignments are relatively easy, but when you're given an hour to transcribe and sync a 30-minute video with a lot of cross-talk and background noise, forget it. The assignment will probably be a little late. But two late submissions like this, and they give you the boot. They also have a VERY strict no re-hire policy, so no second chances, either.
So far positive experience. But only apply if you have good english skills!!
Freelance Transcriptionist and Captioner (Current Employee) –  Pelzer, SCDecember 11, 2018
I do both transcription and captioning for Rev. Overall, I like working for Rev. This is the first real job that I have ever really had. So far, I have been with this company now for over two months, and I am enjoying it. I choose from a list of available files and choose the one I want. I get paid every Monday like clockwork at around 9 AM EST via PayPal, with the exact amount earned from Sunday-Saturday going by Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) with no fees or taxes taken out.

The application process was fast and easy for me. All I did was take a grammar test and transcribed/captioned a sample file. They gave me a very descriptive tutorial before I did the sample file, so I was better prepared completing that file. I heard back for transcription within hours and captioning took less than a day. I started right away with paid practice files that allowed me to get my feet wet and improve on my skills. The first 60 minutes were all graded by more experienced Revvers. They left constructive feedback on every file during that time, which helped me to improve for future projects. It took me less than a day to get promoted to Revver in transcription, but took over a month for captioning.

Captioning is harder to get into than transcription because there is more that goes into it and more standards to it, as it involves syncing the captions on screen at the appropriate time along with writing out what is said into caption groups.

Pay during that time was very little, but once I finished those first 60 minutes and maintained the appropriate metrics, pay increased tremendously.
  more... Lowest pay on Revver status is .45 per minute and .54 in captioning. Pay per minute depends on the quality of the file, the number of unclaims it has, and the age of it.

Unlike some reviews, I have had a positive experience with Rev so far. I can claim projects as a choose and work at my own leisure in the comfort of my own home. I learn so much from the files that I transcribe and caption from people and businesses all around the world. I have transcribed/captioned sermons, many interviews, group discussions, phone calls, court hearings, and even TV show segments. I would recommend Rev to those that have great english skills, those who have extra time on their hands, and those that are looking to make some extra money. In my first two months I have made nearly $800. And now that I hit Revver Plus status, I get access to every available file old and new, which means that amount will be increasing.

While many files in Revver status are not as good, keep looking, because you will find one that has good audio. Do not get discouraged if a grader leaves bad feedback, take what they say and use it to improve. Trust me, it is worth it in the end when you reach that Revver Plus status and can gain access to every file old and brand new, because they get access to the first 90 minutes of a file, and those not claimed after that go to Revvers. I would also recommend investing in a good pair of headphones, a good keyboard, and a foot pedal, which has helped me a good bit.
Pros
Paid weekly, work whenever you want, laid back
Cons
Pay could be more, too many bad files starting out
This job isn't for everyone ...
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 9, 2018
If you're serious about transcription, and would like to make it work, it is possible to do so, but because this job is a contract position and you work from home, it requires you to have the utmost self-discipline. If you go into this thinking it'll be an easy job, you'll be sorely mistaken, and this job probably isn't for you. You also need to at least know some random trivia for when you transcribe files, that way you know what you're researching and how.
Pros
It's a great learning experience.
Cons
None that I can think of.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rev.com. Our community is ready to answer.