Rev.com Employee Reviews

Near impossible to transcribe
Beginner (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 10, 2019
Better hurry tf up and claim a job that looks decent before it very, very quickly becomes unavailable. Jobs that looked decent to me as a beginner were a combination of being short in length and a higher audio quality score. I wasn't as concerned about how much I was getting paid as a beginner, just concerned about completing enough of the required jobs to advance to the next performance tier and increase my confidence.

I had to slow each recording down so I can capture as much as I could which is a good feature they have available. But the issue is that it is very hard to actually HEAR what people are saying for the vast majority of jobs I have EVER attempted to transcribe. It is so bad that it is pathetic and I have given up at this point.

I think you should still try it for yourself though.
Work at own accord
Captioner (Former Employee) –  Home BasedDecember 9, 2019
Work at my own accord whilst learning a variety of new things through the videos that I was captioning. This came with a struggle at times either with needing to extensively looking up words or places that were said in the video with very little information about said topic.
Pointless to even bother
Transcriptionist/Captioner (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 8, 2019
I had high scores in every area but formatting. Instead of helping me to better perform this aspect, they disabled my account and would not even consider enabling it. So, as soon as you get the hang of how things work, they cut you right off.
Good company
Freelance captioner (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 7, 2019
Time management is hard when you get paid by the project and have an infant at home with you. I would enjoy working for them a lot more if there was a set amount of projects for a set amount of money
Does NOT care about employees.
Captioning Agent (Current Employee) –  OnlineDecember 7, 2019
UI and system are good and intuitive but, as stated in other reviews, it's made clear from the get-go that you don't matter here. Even the smallest mistake can be enough to end your job based on who's grading and their mood.
Complete disregard for workers
Transcriber (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 7, 2019
I started out with such hope at finding something I could do remotely and enjoy doing, learn from and so forth. A couple of weeks in a dog attack outside my house distracted me from submitting a job after spending hours working on it and it was automatically returned (complete I might add) and I lost that income and got my metrics docked for it without any possibility of explanation or appeal.

I worked hard, I worked for long hours, I have probably damaged my hearing struggling to listen to some of the shocking audio files submitted to them for transcribing, audio files which appear to not be checked for their transcribability, yes, I made that up, but some audio is so shocking it's utterly indiscernible as containing any material that is audible.

One bad grading and your account can be summarily closed without any chance of appeal.

The bottom line with Rev.com is that you are one of many thousands of people, you are completely expendable. You are of no value to them unless you're churning out to their expectations.

If you want to feel constantly stressed about losing confidence, faux credibility (based on their metrics), being undervalued and grossly underpaid then this place will do it for you.
Horrible company to work for.
Transcriptionist / Captioner (Former Employee) –  Work from homeDecember 6, 2019
This is the worst company to work for ever They don't appreciate people who have worked for them for years and done a good job,. Even if you are right, you still get punished with bad grades, and then they close your account. The pay is really low, and you get no help from the company at all. It is a waste of time to work there.
Pays nothing.
Captioner (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 6, 2019
If you want to get paid nothing and have very tight deadlines, take this job! There is no way to support yourself with a job like this. Please find something else.
Interesting Freelance Work
Freelance Transcriptionist / Captioner (Current Employee) –  Freelance - work from homeDecember 5, 2019
Transcribing and captioning audio and video files can be very interesting but also very stressful. Pay is based on length of source material and not on length of time to transcribe / caption. Tough standards to maintain in order to retain status. Very difficult to move to higher level. 90% of customer files are poorly recorded and difficult to transcribe.
Management does seem to be addressing these issues slowly, but is aware of employee dissatisfaction.
Fully remote
TRANSCRIPTIONIST (REMOTE) (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 4, 2019
Definitely one of my favorite companies I have worked for. You are in charge of yourself, your salary depends on yourself and how much work you are willing to put in.
Extremely low pay scale and a messed up system.
Revver (Former Employee) –  HomeDecember 4, 2019
Extremely low pay-scale for the amount of work you do. I'm a fairly fast typer and it would take me about 1 - 1 1/2 hours to finish a 20-minute video (after transcribing and syncing) and after that, you get about $11 dollars. The problem I ran into as well is they grade your work really well at the beginning and then start giving you poor marks for RIDICULOUS faults when you get close to becoming a "revver" to earn more pay.

Do yourself a favor and look for another company.
Good extra money but incredibly harsh grading practices make it not worth the convenience of working from home
Freelance Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  New York StateDecember 4, 2019
I have been doing freelance transcription on Rev for over two years now. I don’t have many complaints about the pay, it’s fairly low but they’re pretty transparent about that from the outset and the convenience of being able to do it from home and pick all of your own hours and when/if to work is worth the pay in my opinion.

What is not worth it is the fact that they can and will close your account due to ridiculously strict metrics. For example, I upgraded to the next tier of their Revver levels and took on a job that was a bit longer, thinking I lucked out with decently clear audio. Toward the end, after three hours of doing this particular job and far past the point of unclaiming, there was a bit of about 15 minutes of conversation with 8 people all speaking at once and having several side conversations. I did my best to capture all of this but at some points it was very hard (and not on the main topic of the audio I had been transcribing before anyway) so I used the appropriate cross-talk tags.

Big mistake, apparently. A member of support chastised me for this, I didn’t get paid for my four hours of work on this audio, and my metrics dropped below the threshold after all of my previous projects on the site being perfect grades except for my very first job on the site being a mid-grade. If I make one more mistake, they close my account. You cannot appeal these decisions at all. That was my last job on the site as I just lost all respect and desire to do jobs for this company. I don’t understand how they can keep any of their freelance transcriptionists with these
  more... strict metrics. 85% of the jobs that aren’t claimed immediately are completely unable to be transcribed so it’s hard to find jobs and then they punish you with an iron fist for taking the chance to try and transcribe harder jobs or unclaiming after a set period of time.  less
Ridiculous pay scale
transcriber (Former Employee) –  remoteDecember 3, 2019
I did a couple of projects with them. It sounds good--getting paid per minute. Unfortunately, typing and formatting a minute of video takes longer than you might thing, so the actual hourly pay rate that you actually get is like $2 per hour. I honestly don't get how a company like this can offer so little to their workers. You should absolutely not work with them.
The minimum wage may as well be $1/hr, if that.
Captioner (Current Employee) –  RemoteDecember 2, 2019
This company doesn't seem to understand what time means to people. I love transcribing and captioning while I can take a break from time to time for my dogs and other things, but when a project that only pays $7 and I have to listen (and caption) 14+ minutes.... that takes hours. Hours of work for $7. This is a full fledged top to bottom money making scheme. The minimum wage may as well be $1/hr, if that.
No comment
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYDecember 2, 2019
I made my own schedule and work from home . You type the closed captioning for different videos and tv shorts/ documentaries. Time management skills are very important as well as typing and good editing skills.
Something to use in an emergency to get by, nothing to do full time.
Transcriptionist- Contract work- self moderated (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTNovember 30, 2019
Pay is horribly low, especially for the easy jobs. And the ones they call "difficult" and therefore offer more pay for (still nowhere near what they should) are not difficult but nearly impossible- bad audio, horribly thick accents, people talking all over each other.

I used to use them to get myself out of jams- to help pay an unexpected bill etc. but it's not even worth that now that they've lowered the pay further for the jobs that are doable.

Not worth the effort.
Fun company to work for
FREELANCE TRANSCRIPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  RemoteNovember 30, 2019
Rev.com is how I keep up on current events, as I don't have much time to scroll through social media. At Rev.com, you truly make your own hours, and I love that flexibility. It's a great side job, or if you really can pump those keys away it can be a great main source for income as well, but that requires a lot of dedication and a good typing speed. I wish it paid a bit more, but it works for me perfectly since I have a full-time working significant other. We make it work.
The worst
Captioner (Former Employee) –  at homeNovember 29, 2019
I applied to this place thinking that it would be a great way to subsidize my day-job salary. I just graduated from school after 6 years, so I obviously have some major payments to make. I was super excited.

So I started my freelance work with Rev, super excited that they pay using PayPal rather than requesting my account information. Things were great for like the first week. I completed 9 videos and earned $100 (so obviously the pay per hour sucks but I need the money...).

And then it all went downhill from there.

After one week of being apart of the Rev team, I received an email stating that my account was indefinitely closed. The decision was final. There is no appeal process.

They said it was because my percentage of commitment was too low. It was 90% because I had to un-claim a video that had terrible audio quality. The metric is supposed to be weighed over 120 days. They gave me 7.

I also noted that after you receive your, "Yay, you've captioned over 100 minutes!" email, they start to grade SUPER hard. They pick on you for things that were never in their instructional guide, and they offer no explanation either.

Just the worst. Not only is this company completely unfair in terms of how much they pay people, they clearly have no standards when it comes to releasing people who do good quality work.

Anyways, I tried to sign up again using a different email address and was denied without any explanation. This company sucks.
Very stressful at times, but good overall.
Captionist (Current Employee) –  GlobalNovember 28, 2019
I've been working for Rev since September 2019, and although I've been happy overall, there are some things that I hope will improve in the future.

I recently completed a video where the last 7 minutes appeared as completely blank for me in the caption editor. No sound, nothing. So, I did as I was told and added no captions for the blank part. My grades for the video got rated 1/1/1 (The lowest possible) and I was told my account will be closed in 120 days if I do not improve. I contacted support because this was honestly not an error on my behalf, but they just told me "last 7 minutes not captioned, grading is fair". This made me very sad because I truly find this job important, and I always do my best. I'm proud of the fact that I offer a quality service to this company. I didn't need to be beaten down over something that wasn't my fault. Getting fired is something I fear every day.

I don't think the grading system is unfair in general, but the people grading the jobs often don't do much effort and make mistakes themselves.

If I could give advice to rookies joining Rev, don't worry too much if you're cutting it close with deadlines, you'll get better as you become used to the style guide and such. At the start, I took almost an hour to caption 5 minutes of video, now I can do it in less than 20 minuts.

Although I have many complaints, I have yet to find a more reliable company offering caption jobs online.
If you like working below minimum wage...
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Home BasedNovember 27, 2019
Finished transcriptions with overall ratings of 4.5-5.
However, yesterday they randomly locked me out saying I did not meet the grade requirements. Their grading system is confusing and unfair.
I just finished a 27 min transcription, finished attention to detail, and then the next day I get a notification saying I got a score of 1 and am getting kicked out. What a waste of time. I spent about 2.5 hours to finish it for only to be paid $12. Flexibility and working from home is quite convenient, however, it isn't worth your time. You are working below minimum wage.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rev.com. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Rev.com.

Powered by Comparably

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?