Rev.com

Rev.com Employee Reviews

Not bad, flexible work, pay's not great
A lot of the available work is very difficult audio, which decreases your words per minute drastically, resulting in pretty low hourly rate. Also, I've had projects graded improperly. The corrections made to my project were far worse than my errors. It was eventually corrected, but I had to go through several people with my complaints.
Great at home work
This job is a great opportunity for people to make extra money from home in their spare time. The faster you can type, the more money you can make. It’s not the best for a full time job
Fun to make your own hours
The people here are very nice and I would work at here again. I liked the people and I think it was a good place to work. I would definitely recommend it.
Not worth it
Imagine doing 3hrs of work for 4 dollars, ridiculous right?

This job is long, tedious, and sometimes painful. It will literally have my stomach in knots. They pay you by the minutes of the video and not for how long it will take to transcribe that video. A 5 min video can easily take over 2hrs which you will only make appx $2.40.

you pennies
Worst place ive ever worked at!
You can work endlessly on projects to make merely pennies on the dollar. The grading system is a joke. If the grader has had a bad day then you could potentially lose your job due to a bad grade.you could make more money shoveling doo doo somewhere the you could transcribing for this Joke of a company. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from the nonsense and headache that comes along with this.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Flexible work hours, ridiculously low pay
I can log in whenever I want and pick any assignment which is good. But the pay for this is absurdly low. I could mow my neighbor's lawn and make more in 2 hours than I could working at Rev.com.

That said, I do appreciate the flexibility. But I wished they would pay a decent wage.
Pros
Flexible work time
Cons
I'm barely getting $1 an hour for my work
Rev is not a bad company at all.
I work for Rev and average about $100 a week, which is not bad if you take into account the fact that I live in South Africa with the exchange rate and all. I think the problem is that people get impatient and just grab whatever job that pop ups, and this gets them into trouble. Don’t the bad audio jobs, there are enough good ones out there, you just have to take your time previewing files.
They don’t care at all
This company doesn’t care in the slightest about their employees. Under paid as heck for too much work. Hard to get in touch with them especially when it comes to my finances but when I finally did they were the least organized people in this whole world. They’ll tell you one thing then flip it completely to save their own behinds. Horrible company and horrible people making the horrible company even worse.
Freelance, work-from-home position with no commitments
Rev is a easy to navigate, transcription/caption service that offers the ability to choose when you want to work or don't on as little as a whim. They also offer a generous time frame for changing your mind on the jobs you take. The quality control is on point though it's a lilttle rough to meet the standards as a newbie. Read the newbie threads in the forums before jumping in.
Run away
$0.30-0.50 to start per audio minute. $O.40-$1.00 (barely audible audio) if you get a metric of 4.5 or higher. When you first start, your metric average is decided by the number of jobs you do so if you score anything less than 5/5, their automatic marking system will close your account. Most of the audio you can not understand or hear due to background noise, multiple speakers, or thick accents.
Pros
You set your own hours, choose which horrible audio you want to stressfully transcribe
Cons
Everything else - Pay, audio quality, Non-existent QC process.
Work is so bad it doesn't seem like it should even be legal
If the ability to work from home trumps literally everything else, then this job may just be worth it for you. You have to work late nights, starting midnight to get any workable jobs, because during the day, the site is so flooded with people that any jobs left over are completely inaudible. The work is extremely tedious and takes forever, even if you are a quick typist. For a 20 minute video you can expect to work 4-6 hours, and pay is per job. I don't think I've ever made anything more than $5 an hour. The grades you get as a beginner are wildly inconsistent and they expect complete perfection without compensating for it. Just an absolute waste of time and effort, it will never be worth because the money is just so bad.
Loved this
This was a great place to work although the pay was a bit on the shorter side. I was happy with the work life balance it provided and the enjoyment I had while working here.
Short jobs, quick money, low pay, high standards
Complete choice in the jobs you take, expect low pay out per job but quick turn around. All jobs done are rated for accuracy in spellings, correct words, and subtitle timing. Unfortunately if you have any issues with your review and submit for a re-assessment you are immediately taken off their list of reviewers.
Set your own schedule, work more/earn more, work less/earn less
I loved the discretion in this job. The pay is completely project based. You accept projects when you want to, complete them by their deadline, and your pay is submitted to Paypal. Easy Peasy. However, I worked with them happily for two years before I had a situation where my metrics dropped. They dropped me like a hot potato without any time for improvement and very little notice. And, little did I know, if you are dropped for a decrease in metrics, you have a LIFE TIME ban from working there again. No chance to reapply ever.
Pros
Schedule and pay discretion
Cons
Instant termination if metrics drop, with no chance to re-apply.
Bad Pay
The work and pay are not equal. But you do get paid every week. And you can choose which jobs you choose, however it is difficult to get a job you want before someone else. Also they have a grading system that is unfair.
a typical day at work, what you learned, management, workplace culture, the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job
Good flexibility but it many of the audio files are hard to understand because of file quality or accents, etc. It is hard to get a high score because of this.
Time spent vs money paid not equal
You will spend 4 hrs working on a task and get paid around $6 - 10. Not enough money for the time spent working. Most recordings' quality are hard to make out. Can be very frustrating.
Relaxed work, but lots of it
You get paid the more hours you put in, but as you start out you would work 3 hurs for $5.00. And it takes a long time to move up in the hierarchy. A work schedule could not get more relaxed (it is freelance), but this also has potential to bring about issues.
Pros
Extremely flexible schedule
Cons
Long hours for little pay
Very low pay for a lot of work
This is a good job for someone that just needs something to do or a side job, but it does not pay that well.
The grading sometimes seems pretty arbitrary and that is a down side because that determines whether you can get promoted in order to get paid more.

Some tasks/videos are really short less than an hour, but it will take hours to get it completed. Rev does not pay for your time and research. I had a video that I did and I had to Google names of people in the play in order to get the correct spelling. I also had to Google a lot of previous work people did because it was referenced in the video, but I needed to make sure I spelling the work correctly. Some were in different languages.

I currently still work for Rev, but haven't been on in months because I felt discourage after all the time I put into videos and received an email letting me know that I am doing well, but if I do not keep up a certain metric, then I would automatically be let go.
Lot of work for minimum pay, one bad grade could mean end of job
If you do this occasionally to make some grocery money or small change, and you don't EVER mess up or make a tiny mistake, you might be able to be content as a captioner.

Even a 10 minute video can take a few hours to caption (people talk a lot faster than you think they do, especially in interviews), which means you are really only paid a few bucks an hour to do this.

In addition, the grading system is hard to predict, and different graders will rate you differently. Where one grader will give you a pass on formatting, another will dock you for it, which makes it impossible to learn what the correct format really is.

Make two or more mistakes, it's very possible your account will be cancelled.

Aaaaand, I literally just got an email while writing this review that stated my metrics had fallen .03 percent below the standards (the grader marked me down for something that was never marked down in the past), and my account was deactivated.

Stay away.
Pros
Work whenever you want (provided there are jobs)
Cons
Bad pay, bad management, no security whatsoever
Not in California
I really, really DID like working for Rev.com. I could work from anywhere, and at my own pace. My goal would be $20/day. At 78wpm it would take me about 2.5-3 hours.
But then I got an email saying that California passed some state law for contract workers, and Rev.com could not or did not want to comply with it. So all workers in California got their accounts deactivated. The end.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rev.com. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Rev.com.