Rev.com

Rev.com Employee Reviews for Caption Editor

Good place for complete remote work on your own schedule
The place is decent for a side income unless you can manage to get good audio/video files and push out work consistent with their changing guidelines. Otherwise, the money you make doesn't always seem worth the amount of time you can put into going over everything so that it aligns with their ranking. It only takes a couple of bad marks to lose the job completely.
Great at home work
This job is a great opportunity for people to make extra money from home in their spare time. The faster you can type, the more money you can make. It’s not the best for a full time job
Work-Life Balance Flexibility
Working with Rev, I can pick and choose which types of files to transcribe and/or caption. Feedback is given pretty quickly, and pay is always on time. I love the flexibility of working with Rev, and would recommend it to others. The hardest part of the job is listening to different dialects.
Idk who gave them THAT number.
Is there a single person in these comments who have made anywhere NEAR that much? Nope. The graders, are people no different from you, who came up in the ranks. So there is no real rubric for them to follow. Just guidelines. If they're having a bad day, they get paid. So did you, for finishing the job. But your metrics suffer. Keeping you from moving up the ranks. And they only give you 60 minutes to complete satisfactory...for transcribers/captioners. By the way, 60 minutes don't seem like a lot. But understand, each video or audio is no longer than a few minutes. As a captioner, you do get longer videos. Which means more money. But we're talking, if you are lucky to get your hands on a $10 video. Lottery lucky, if you can grab a $12 video. Just to help put it into a real perspective for you. If you fail to meet your metrics, they add another 90 minutes, while you stay in the bottom tier/rank to bring up your metrics. If by the whole 150 minutes have been completed, and you are still in the red, because of your "grades"/metrics...they deactivate your account. You'll get a warning email, letting you know that you completed your 60 minutes and telling you that you have not been promoted, but have a whole nother 90 minute-chance before giving you the middle finger. I've had graders ding me pretty bad, for things that others didn't ding me for at all. It's happened a few times, actually. You have to seriously be hurting for some CHANGE to take this. Because that's literally what it is. You're better off, accumulating a change-jar. I don't think I'm that bad. And I honestly could - more...
Pros
Working from the comfort of my home, Working on my own time, Getting paid weekly(Paypal)
Cons
A few dollars a job, Deadlines are too short, Almost comes off as sabotage, Spending all your time staring at the screen waiting for a job to pop up
Contract Work that pays very, very low wages.
I am a meticulous, fast typist and i could never earn more than $5.00 an hour at my best. I don't know how successful Rev.com is, but it would be nothing at all without its typists, captioners and transcriptionists and i haven't seen any increases in pay.

I would recommend Rev if you're just looking for a few extra bucks a week. Not that much better than online surveys.
would not reccomend
i 100% would not reccomend, the pay is slavery, youre lucky if you get 5 dollars oer project if that lol, its bad. Youlle have to transcribe an hoour long video just to get a couple of dollars.
Great for part time and skill developement
Absolutely a lie with the projected monthly salary.
I worked about 40.00 hours for a 7 day period and received about 32.00 working on video captions.
Pros
part time, work from home
Cons
low low pay
very low pay
very low pay, no incentives, strictly contract work, very hard to find decent videos to subtitle, and audio to transcribe, even doing both you are doing good to bring in 25 bucks a week if that.
Pros
work from home. set your own schedual
Cons
extremely low pay, difficult to find files to caption and transcribe.
Low pay but reliable pay
While the pay is on the low end, I see people complaining about only making a few cents a minute. The pay to start is about 45-65 cents per audio minute. It takes about three to four times the length of the audio to transcribe it once you've gotten to a decent speed.

The grading sometimes seems pretty arbitrary, but if you follow the style guide VERY CLOSELY, your grades will improve, thus improving your metrics. Yes, you have to thoroughly research your files; that's part of transcription. I've been transcribing off and on for 18 years, as well as captioning, and research is ALWAYS required.

They pay super reliably, every Monday, for the previous Sun-Sat work week.

Not a full-time income by any stretch, but I've been doing it for about a month now and have made about $400.

You must pay close attention to all the small details. If you can't, this job isn't for you.
Pros
Work when you want from home
Cons
Particular style guidelines, low pay
Slave labour, no consistency between reviewers, the expectations are unrealistic and unachievable, scummy practices to save money
I really gave this company chance after chance but enough is enough.
Working for this company is slave labour on top of inconsistency in reviewing and how much they expect you to put into the work - they are literally paying you cents and single dollars. I can't even believe these people have been able to go on like this without major issues and being shut down.

You submit something and a reviewer gives you all 5s, a few weeks later, OOPS, someone else re-reviewed it and gave you 3s, HOW on earth is that even allowed or fair? On top of that they do this right before you are about to hit Revver+ on purpose, someone re-reviewed my work right before I was going to hit Revver+ and gave me a 3/5 on accuracy even though the issues were all formatting knowing that you need a higher accuracy score vs. formatting and alignment to get to Revver+ for captioning (4.7, 4.5, 4.5). They do this on purpose so that there are fewer people they have to pay more to. This is in addition to every reviewer having the most inconsistent interpretations of your projects and scoring, which is, essentially, randomly. Again, how on earth is that fair to the worker? People end up to Revver+ literally only by chance!

I sent back a reply explaining how unfair what they did was, I wouldn't be surprised if they just shut down my account soon, They only want slaves that don't complain about their disgusting practices.

Avoid at all costs! It seems easy enough and convenient in how they lure you, but the amount of time and effort you have to put into each project is so insane it is not worth the meager
 - more...
Insultingly Low Wages
Right now, I am between jobs and seeking opportunities to make at least part-time wages. I've been working for Rev as a video captioner for about two weeks, and that has amounted to just over $30 for about 71 audio minutes. If that sounds great, please allow me to break it down.

Starting out, you make about 45 cents per audio minute. You are not paid for time spent typing and syncing the text to video after. You are paid per audio minute. The first 60 minutes of audio are graded. Some people are more strict than others. You may forget to put a dash at the beginning of one speaker change, and suddenly you're facing a drop in your rating. You have to keep these up in order to get a 20% pay increase after this period.

So I completed the first 60 minutes by doing several 1 minute clips so that I could get all my ratings up. Perfect, now I make 50 cents per audio minute.

A video may only be a minute long, but the videos come from all over the world. If you don't understand an accent, you'll spend upwards of thirty minutes on that 1 minute video rewinding and googling to make sure you caught the words correctly. You're still graded periodically in order to keep you on your toes.

Oh, and here's a fun note. Yesterday, without any warning, the local electric company did routine maintenance - meaning that my power and Wifi were cut unexpectedly. Your projects are timed so that they can be passed to someone else and finished quickly (turnaround is one of their major selling points, along with low costs, to consumers). I didn't have enough time to pack up and drive
 - more...
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Independence, Variety
Cons
Pay is Below Minimum Wage (USD), Rating System Means High Expectations Despite the Pay
Easy money from a Work-at-Home job
This job requires literacy and familiarity with grammar and punctuation in English. You may be a translation captioner for more money. Easy work if you are willing to sit at a computer for extended periods of time. Compensation isn't great, but you can make full-time money if you are willing to work full-time hours from home.
Pros
Work any time from home
Cons
Work space needs to have minimal background noise
Pay isn't worth the effort/freedom
At Rev, you start with training videos as a Rookie. It's easy at first, none of the videos are longer than 5 minutes usually, and you get paid $0.40-$0.45 per audio minute that you caption. You have to caption (and be graded on) 60 audio minutes before you can advance.
Once you advance, you're allowed to work on videos sent straight from customers. The videos are much longer, usually averaging around 40 minutes or so, with the occasional ones that are only a few minutes or even up to 2 hours. The deadlines for many of them are too tight, and the pay isn't even close to minimum wage.

I would not recommend working for Rev unless you are desperate, or have no other way to earn a little cash on the side.
Pros
Able to work whenever you want
Cons
Pay is horrible and deadlines are too tight
Adds up to way below minimum wage
Compare the time spent and effort to be as accurate and adhere to their formatting as possible and you'll realize that you're being paid below minimum wage.
Cons
Terrible pay
Don't bother unless you are desperate.
Good:
Work from home.

You get to choose what videos you caption and when you want to work.

You have time to unclaim a video without penalty, and that time and your deadline are on the captioning screen to reference.

Bad:

Jobs start in the top of 3 tiers(Revver+) and remain there for 1.5 hours. Which means that that queue could have hundreds of available jobs, but my middle tier(Revver) could be empty. This is often the case during the day when I want to work. In the evenings my queue is most active/full.

Most grading is helpful and fair, but a few grades have been unfair and/or condescending.

Training is very much on the job and could be vastly improved. The problem is that when you make errors when learning the ropes it will count against your metrics. You need to keep those up in order to stay with the company and move up.

The deadlines can be tight especially if you have a hard video.

Many videos are poor quality.

Some videos are a lot harder to caption than others, but there seems to be no consideration in this regard.

I cannot stress this enough. The pay is pitiful. Trust me on this one. It takes a lot of time and effort to caption an average video, and you will not be paid anywhere near what that time and effort are worth.

You are a number with no job security.

I would describe my experience with Rev as very disappointing and frustrating.

It's better than nothing. So, if you are desperate for some extra income for one reason or another this may fill up some of your time, but it won't fill up your wallet.
Pros
stay home
Cons
peanuts for pay
Exploitative, Unfair, Condescending, Horrible Pay
No matter how fast you type, how good your formatting is, and how accurate you are, the workload far surpasses the pay, which is below minimum wage and completely unfair. It takes awhile to move up, and even if you do, the pay is still not worth it especially considering the amount of time and work required of you. Don't waste your time with this unfair, exploitative company.
Pros
You can stop working for Rev and being exploited by them
Cons
below minimum wage pay, time, poor quality audio, poor quality video
independent video and movie captioning
The deadlines are crazy stressful. If it takes a long time to figure out what is being said you can easily go over. A job can sit on the board for days but as soon as you accept a job it can expire in minutes. A little bit of internet lag and you will lose it and have your rating downgraded. I was able to make 10 to 30 dollars in a day, but it was very hard to make enough to pay bills.
Pros
work from home, any hours that you like
Cons
too reliant on internet speed, very hard to make much, crazy deadlines
flexible job
The training isn't that helpful. Your work is judged by people from the same job position who have just done it longer. The amount you get paid versus the work you does not make it seem worth it. It's a work from home job which is nice. It gives you an incredible amount of flexibility, but again you don't get paid well.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
pay
Chill Place to Work From Home
I loved working at Rev because it gives you the freedom to do as much or as little work as you want/need to. You choose the projects you want and get paid via paypal. If you watch all the instructional videos and read up on all the rules/standards you will be totally prepared. They value projects being turned in on time with correct format so make sure to double and triple check if your formatting is correct.
At first, you get shorter videos to caption and then when you turn them in on time and correct you can get bigger projects that pay more. The pay still isn't as great as other jobs but if you're looking for an interesting job to do from the comfort of your own home while also getting to watch a variety of different videos and even movies, I highly recommend Rev.
Very good job!
This is a great job for anyone who can type pretty fast and also for someone who wants to work from home. That was my favorite part of the job. And you don't have a set amount of hours or projects that you have to have done by the end of it. You work at your own pace and whenever you want. One bad thing is that you don't make a lot of money because the videos aren't worth a lot of money.
Ok for what it is
Rev.com is strictly freelance work for it's telecommuters. So there are no benefits or perks to working here. The job selection can be pretty grim at times unless you're at the highest level. Which makes it difficult for those just starting out. The way the videos are clipped as the progress down the line to get shorter can make it difficult for Revvers with how many people start snagging videos at once and you can only claim one at a time. So usually by the time you're done with one 5-10 minute video the other 100 that were there are gone now and it's back to waiting another 30 minutes - 1 hour for another batch of videos that are decent quality. Though if you were to stick it out to be a Revver+, which gets first selection of all videos and longer videos so you don't have to wait around for 5-10 minute clips. then that's probably good. Though dry spells make it tough on anyone at Rev. It is not something that I would recommend trying to do full-time unless you have someone that can supplement the income as work can be scarce and the pay continues to decrease for the work. Which, you think it would be opposite as minimum wages are being increased and inflation continues to go up and not down.. but not at Rev. Prices rise and pay goes down.
Pros
Telecommute, Active Employee Forum, You Pick Your Work and Hours
Cons
Pay Decreases, Video Sound Quality is bad on 70% of videos.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rev.com. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Rev.com.