Rev.com

Rev.com Employee Reviews for Captioner

Lot of work for minimum pay, one bad grade could mean end of job
If you do this occasionally to make some grocery money or small change, and you don't EVER mess up or make a tiny mistake, you might be able to be content as a captioner.

Even a 10 minute video can take a few hours to caption (people talk a lot faster than you think they do, especially in interviews), which means you are really only paid a few bucks an hour to do this.

In addition, the grading system is hard to predict, and different graders will rate you differently. Where one grader will give you a pass on formatting, another will dock you for it, which makes it impossible to learn what the correct format really is.

Make two or more mistakes, it's very possible your account will be cancelled.

Aaaaand, I literally just got an email while writing this review that stated my metrics had fallen .03 percent below the standards (the grader marked me down for something that was never marked down in the past), and my account was deactivated.

Stay away.
Pros
Work whenever you want (provided there are jobs)
Cons
Bad pay, bad management, no security whatsoever
Good work/life job, but low pay
While I love working at Rev because I like watching videos as well as typing, the hourly rate comes out to about $5-7 per hour, depending on the difficulty of the video and how careful you are with syncing the words to the video itself.

A big benefit is you can work as much, or as little, as you want. You can also work any hour of the day as jobs are posted there from Europe, so those are available in the middle of the night in the U.S., which is when I am awake.
Pros
Great work life
Cons
Low calculated hourly rate (paid per minute)
Work is so bad it doesn't seem like it should even be legal
If the ability to work from home trumps literally everything else, then this job may just be worth it for you. You have to work late nights, starting midnight to get any workable jobs, because during the day, the site is so flooded with people that any jobs left over are completely inaudible. The work is extremely tedious and takes forever, even if you are a quick typist. For a 20 minute video you can expect to work 4-6 hours, and pay is per job. I don't think I've ever made anything more than $5 an hour. The grades you get as a beginner are wildly inconsistent and they expect complete perfection without compensating for it. Just an absolute waste of time and effort, it will never be worth because the money is just so bad.
Very low pay for a lot of work
This is a good job for someone that just needs something to do or a side job, but it does not pay that well.
The grading sometimes seems pretty arbitrary and that is a down side because that determines whether you can get promoted in order to get paid more.

Some tasks/videos are really short less than an hour, but it will take hours to get it completed. Rev does not pay for your time and research. I had a video that I did and I had to Google names of people in the play in order to get the correct spelling. I also had to Google a lot of previous work people did because it was referenced in the video, but I needed to make sure I spelling the work correctly. Some were in different languages.

I currently still work for Rev, but haven't been on in months because I felt discourage after all the time I put into videos and received an email letting me know that I am doing well, but if I do not keep up a certain metric, then I would automatically be let go.
I just started and I already know it's not worth the time investment.
I just started a few days back, and all I can say is, don't expect to make much money here. The fact is that the amount you get paid for the amount of work you do is less than peanuts. The pay rate is $0.45 to $0.50 a minute, but even if you good at typing and really good at captioning in general, you still have to sync the captions to the video, which takes up more time (It took me 2.5 hours to caption 20 minutes of a 30 minute video). The longer videos pay more, but you'll be sitting there for hours captioning a longer video. I felt drained after captioning one 30 minute video, and after going to bed to finish it up the following day, lost it due to the deadline. Deadlines are also a little annoying because you have to commit yourself to doing a video all the way through in one go, especially if you only have 1 hour to finish for the shortest videos, and rewinding the video over and over again to properly caption everything does get annoying after a short while. You'd also be dealing with bottom of the barrel audio 96% of the time, with a lot of what you get unclaimed multiple times for multiple reasons, so even if you find something that sounds alright to begin with, something can come up and you'd unclaim the video due to poor audio or some other reason.

I read the reviews before moving forward, and still went ahead thinking, hey, I'm just looking for pocket change while in between jobs, a little $15 or $20 you know? This is not the way to go about getting $20 bucks.

You're better off trying something else.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Work at own accord
Work at my own accord whilst learning a variety of new things through the videos that I was captioning. This came with a struggle at times either with needing to extensively looking up words or places that were said in the video with very little information about said topic.
Pays nothing.
If you want to get paid nothing and have very tight deadlines, take this job! There is no way to support yourself with a job like this. Please find something else.
The minimum wage may as well be $1/hr, if that.
This company doesn't seem to understand what time means to people. I love transcribing and captioning while I can take a break from time to time for my dogs and other things, but when a project that only pays $7 and I have to listen (and caption) 14+ minutes.... that takes hours. Hours of work for $7. This is a full fledged top to bottom money making scheme. The minimum wage may as well be $1/hr, if that.
The worst
I applied to this place thinking that it would be a great way to subsidize my day-job salary. I just graduated from school after 6 years, so I obviously have some major payments to make. I was super excited.

So I started my freelance work with Rev, super excited that they pay using PayPal rather than requesting my account information. Things were great for like the first week. I completed 9 videos and earned $100 (so obviously the pay per hour sucks but I need the money...).

And then it all went downhill from there.

After one week of being apart of the Rev team, I received an email stating that my account was indefinitely closed. The decision was final. There is no appeal process.

They said it was because my percentage of commitment was too low. It was 90% because I had to un-claim a video that had terrible audio quality. The metric is supposed to be weighed over 120 days. They gave me 7.

I also noted that after you receive your, "Yay, you've captioned over 100 minutes!" email, they start to grade SUPER hard. They pick on you for things that were never in their instructional guide, and they offer no explanation either.

Just the worst. Not only is this company completely unfair in terms of how much they pay people, they clearly have no standards when it comes to releasing people who do good quality work.

Anyways, I tried to sign up again using a different email address and was denied without any explanation. This company sucks.
Horrible
Did some work for them for about a month because I’m desperately in need of money since I can’t work , their grading system for captions is extremely harsh and ridiculous for the very very low amount of money you’re paid you’re expected to do every single small little detail by the book and when u mess up just a little bit : incorrectly spell a word, can’t understand someone’s mumbling or weird accent your metrics go down and you’re gonna get fired
Hard work for little pay
The tedious amount of work one has to do and to have to pass a grammar test, we should be paid much more. There are people who work at Fast Food restaurants that made more than I did.
Choose your own hours but make no money!
Rev pays you approximately 41 cents per video minute in the beginning (may be better once it increases to $1 per minute). Mind you, if the people are speaking really quickly it may take around 5 minutes to do one video minute, working out to around $8.20 per hour. Most videos are less than 10 minutes, so it doesn't even reach that sometimes. This doesn't include the time it takes to sync the captions with the video. It's fine for if you're using it to make an extra buck or two to pay for groceries, but don't expect it to pay your bills unless you try to make it your full-time gig. I went on Rev today after being away for a while to try and make some extra cash and they told me I needed to go through the application and training all over again just to caption videos. Absolutely ridiculous.
Working at Rev: Not being graded fairly
I worked a Rev for a few months. It started out like normal with registering and doing the test video. I started out fine doing some videos and getting graded mostly 5 and some 4 grades. I mean, it's normal to get those grades because you have to get used to the guidelines and learn from your mistakes. I eventually got to Revver status and then all of a sudden my grades will never improve when I get a grade of 5 for my projects. My grades will go down if I get scores of 4 or lower for my projects.
Note that these are minor issues such as missing a couple of punctuations and easily looking over some misspelled words. (such as "pert" for part) after typing and syncing for 3 hours straight. So my scores keep decreasing until they are .03 under the average and then I get a warning on my account. No big deal, I will just be more careful right? Then the grades started going up again to get above the 4.5 average and then they stop going up again. There is another level called Revver+ where you can get projects 90 minutes before other captioners, but I will never be one with this grading system. I tried to contact them about it and, of course, no response. Eventually, my grade went below the average and was immediately gone. You will get paid on time every week, but you have to be a perfectionist to stay on Rev for a long time. Just a heads up.
Pros
Flexibility, Payment, Forums
Cons
Grading, Customer Service
Wonderful... If you know how to follow directions.
I absolutely love Rev. I get to learn as I work, be entertained (both on videos and the forums) and everyone is really nice and helpful. You obviously have to study the style guide and not be mad or surprised when you get a bad grade for not doing so. The pay gets much better as you go. If you can pay attention to detail and not slack off, then Rev is definitely for you.
Your Company has been graded 2/3/2
Decent as a side job if you're comfortable with working when you want with zero supervision, no benefits and very little pay. I would say it's important that you can type fast and that having a solid knowledge of the English language is definitely necessary. I'm a stay at home mom, so I work on Rev during my downtime for a little extra cash.

Some projects are ridiculous. You spend an hour (or more!) captioning a 5 minute video and then only get paid $2.50. I've been consistently making about $30-40 a week working maybe 6-8 hours a week. It's nowhere near what would be necessary to be considered primary income (and those figures that say $1500+ a month? HA! You would literally be sitting at your computer all hours of the day and night to make that much) but it's nice to be paid every week to have some extra cash in your pocket...well, in your Paypal lol

The scoring can be somewhat inconsistent. I've been graded 5/5/5 on a project by one person and then given a score of 3/4/4 for doing the same exact thing on another project. When you score low, your metrics fall, which can ultimately end your contract with Rev. Luckily, I grasped onto the style guide quickly and have been able to keep my metrics up, but others are not so lucky.

Overall, I'd say Rev is a cool concept. Work from home, choose your work when you want, in your pajamas at 2am if you want. However, the amount of time you put in is not reflected in the pay.
Extremely disappointing and a waste of time
I've spent hours upon hours working and got basically no money. I thought I could move up the ranks to get a better salary but the grading is extremely unreasonable and unfair. I think they purposely grade you poorly so that they can keep using you to caption while paying you close to nothing.
No employee/boss relationship
Al of their grading is automatic. If it falls below, for any reason, you are automatically terminated. I worked there for four years and got all good grades, even some good customer reviews. But, because it is automated, I was fired without explanation. When asked if I could re-apply at a later date, they said no. The pay is way below minimum wage. Approximately $3.00 an hour. Strict time lines and the guidelines are hard to follow. The management almost always side with the grader giving different guidelines each time. Do not work for this company. They are trying to get the work done while paying as low as possible.
Pros
Work-at-home.
Cons
Terrible management with no contact with employees, terrible graders that change the guidelines when they want.
Rev must be short for Revolting
If you want to work so hard that you need time to recover between jobs and get paid an absolute minimum wage for the 'privilege' then Rev is for you.

If you want an employer who expects absolute perfection, even when what is considered perfect doesn't always suit even the client's needs, then Rev is for you.

If you want a grading system that would comment on you leaving one extra space between words on a 4 hour video file then Rev is for you.

If you want to be penalized for the most minor infractions and have your metrics drop accordingly, then Rev is for you.

If you want no recourse to challenging the grading system, no response to your questions, only automated emails as responses, and the barest, most minimum praise when you achieve the needed perfection, all for below the minimum wage, then... Well you catch my drift.

Steer well clear.
Low Pay
The scoring is very unclear. One job will be okay while the exact same thing on another job would be marked wrong. They seem to side on the scorer’s side most of the time. Very low pay. Bad management. I was fired and told it was automated and there is no chance to talk to anyone about it although I had high scores there for the past four years. Do not work for this company. They do not care or listen to their employees.
Brutally Strict, Frequently Capricious, Low Pay
I started at Rev to earn some extra cash in between shifts at my other job. The pay starts out horrible- about $3/hour but gets better as you advance and prove that you are a capable captioner. You earn your pay- and then some- expect an average video to be 8-12 minutes to begin, with videos reaching the hour mark when hitting the second pay tier. 1 minute of audio takes me about 8 minutes to caption, using 50% speed and hotkeys provided by the captioning software.
Videos on the website are there for a reason- they NEED to be captioned because the speaker is often very difficult to understand. If you are expecting simply to caption for hard-of-hearing viewers, that is not the majority of projects on this website.

It is YOUR responsibility to determine what a speaker is saying, even if it is unintelligible you are expected to accurately caption. You are fully responsible for researching technical jargon, and considering Rev has every type of video imaginable, the research period of captioning will often take up nearly a third of your captioning time.

Don't know what the specific parts of a Grand Prix track are? Not familiar with the medical names or muscle groups? Never done database programming before? Not a fan of Rainbow Six Siege? You better familiarize yourself with the most technical aspects of literally anything you can imagine to be a decent captioner at Rev. The availability of videos is limited to your pay grade, so you take what you can get. You must complete videos within a small time frame, so if you take a project you must complete it then. This inhibits any
 - more...
Capricious and frustrating. You will get cut even if you're good.
The pay ends up being extremely low for how much time you spend on the work. They do send the payments consistently, though.

There are performance metrics, and if you don't meet them, you're immediately kicked out of the system and that's it. This is even if your metrics are improving. My formatting score was low because I got a couple of unnecessarily low scores on projects that missed just a few details. I disputed one score, and about two weeks later they finally responded that 3/5 for about three seconds' worth of mistakes in a 22-minute video was fair. OK then.

After that, I got all 5s (highest score) on the next few projects, and was "fired" anyway.

I had 100% on-time completion, excellent style, and excellent alignment, but they got rid of me because my formatting went from 3.9 to 4.3 instead of 4.5. Again, this is because of two nasty scores out of a dozen. I was not bad at this job!

After seeing some of the atrocious work that was returned for re-captioning, I can only laugh at the idiocy of kicking someone like me off the system. I'm literate and timely, but they have their rules.

Don't bother.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rev.com. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Rev.com.