Rev.com

Rev.com Employee Reviews for Captionist

Incredibly harsh grading
I have been working for the Rev captioning team for about a month now and it has been a completely frustrating experience. I work very hard to make sure that my work is accurate. Long hours for like pay. You only get paid a few cents per hour per video, not how long it took you to actually caption the video and then line it properly and review it. Work takes a lot longer than expected and a 10 minute video will actually take you about 3 hours to type up and finalize. Then after all of your hard work, someone on their team will grade 30 seconds of your work and find minor errors such as you typing thirty-two instead of 32 and mark your accuracy grade down to a 3 out of 5 which is pretty detrimental when you have to maintain a 4.5 average (basically get a perfect score of 5) every time to maintain your account. I thought this job would be fun but jobs are never available and the ones that are no one can understand and multiple people have rejected after not being able to understand what is being said in the video. And you'd also think that you can work at your own pace but no. For every video you do you have a time limit to complete which is normally reasonable enough for you to sit there and finish it in one sitting but you won't be able to go out and run errands or go out for a few hours because if your time limit runs out you'll get a grade of 1 and your account will be deactivated. There's essentially constant threats of your account being deactivated leaving you in fear of making any mistakes. If they want perfect work, next time they should hire robots.
Pros
Consistent Pay
Cons
Low Pay, Harsh grading, Not much work available
The WORST company to work for
Rev does NOT value the work that is done on their behalf. They expect video captioning to be done for pennies on the dollar while they KEEP ALL THE PROFIT. A VERY UNCONSCIONABLE GROUP of people who know that there are persons around the globe in financial struggles that will fall for the bait.
If you do too good of a job they STILL fire you i.e. if you take a break from working "although when you sign up it clearly states that you work when you want to"....They will NOT honor that, when you are good, they want to work you like a SLAVE. When you are bad or have issues completing task on time, they drop you just the same. NO winning. I was EXCEPTIONAL, however I have spoken to others who had basic issues and still get dropped. I was dropped because I took a few weeks break.
They don’t care at all
This company doesn’t care in the slightest about their employees. Under paid as heck for too much work. Hard to get in touch with them especially when it comes to my finances but when I finally did they were the least organized people in this whole world. They’ll tell you one thing then flip it completely to save their own behinds. Horrible company and horrible people making the horrible company even worse.
Freelance, work-from-home position with no commitments
Rev is a easy to navigate, transcription/caption service that offers the ability to choose when you want to work or don't on as little as a whim. They also offer a generous time frame for changing your mind on the jobs you take. The quality control is on point though it's a lilttle rough to meet the standards as a newbie. Read the newbie threads in the forums before jumping in.
Not in California
I really, really DID like working for Rev.com. I could work from anywhere, and at my own pace. My goal would be $20/day. At 78wpm it would take me about 2.5-3 hours.
But then I got an email saying that California passed some state law for contract workers, and Rev.com could not or did not want to comply with it. So all workers in California got their accounts deactivated. The end.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Very stressful at times, but good overall.
I've been working for Rev since September 2019, and although I've been happy overall, there are some things that I hope will improve in the future.

I recently completed a video where the last 7 minutes appeared as completely blank for me in the caption editor. No sound, nothing. So, I did as I was told and added no captions for the blank part. My grades for the video got rated 1/1/1 (The lowest possible) and I was told my account will be closed in 120 days if I do not improve. I contacted support because this was honestly not an error on my behalf, but they just told me "last 7 minutes not captioned, grading is fair". This made me very sad because I truly find this job important, and I always do my best. I'm proud of the fact that I offer a quality service to this company. I didn't need to be beaten down over something that wasn't my fault. Getting fired is something I fear every day.

I don't think the grading system is unfair in general, but the people grading the jobs often don't do much effort and make mistakes themselves.

If I could give advice to rookies joining Rev, don't worry too much if you're cutting it close with deadlines, you'll get better as you become used to the style guide and such. At the start, I took almost an hour to caption 5 minutes of video, now I can do it in less than 20 minuts.

Although I have many complaints, I have yet to find a more reliable company offering caption jobs online.
You're gonna get fired.
I love that you can choose your projects and work when you want to. HOWEVER. The jobs are gone in SECONDS, and I mean seconds. It's very competitive between the other people that work there. Also, the pay is so bad for me to be spending HOURS trying to get everything perfect just for the reviewers to shred my work. I've been so confused on what they want because one reviewer says one thing..so I try to improve..then the next reviewer tells me that's not correct and I get struck down again. They bend the rules in the style guide. Some of the rules are up for interpretation which doesn't help someone trying to learn. When I get perfect scores, my metrics BARELY go up. And when I get less perfect, my scores PLUMMET. I will inevitably be let go because I just can't get it right. I see that I'm not the only one with this experience.
Rev treats employees like a dime a dozen
I'm a fast typer, but because of difficult audio quality and required research, I never made more than $4 an hour here. This company does not care about employees. They take advantage of people desperate to find work online. You are easily replaced and will be fired when your ratings slip. Perfect ratings are impossible due to an inconsistent grading system. The work is stressful since you work on a deadline. You could spend hours working on a project and have to give it up because of the time. If this happens you make nothing. Do not work for this awful company.
Unfair pay and unbelievable standards
The expectations that Rev has of its employees is not consistent with the pay. Unless you have the ability to type 100+ words per minute, you will be making about $2 an hour. That is not an exaggeration. The QC reviewers are incredibly strict and I wonder if they get a kick out of falsely scoring projects. I had a project with one mistake, I missed a single “caret”, lifting the caption to the top of the screen, and QC rated me a 2/5 for formatting. I tried to dispute this, which supposedly takes several days, but my account was deactivated shortly after the project was graded.
While is something exciting, it has strict metrics and expectations that do not measure with the pay.
It is a nice environment overall. For many may seem like a good experience because it is not your regular 9-5 experience, but is has this "level of experience" and you start in a level 1 where your pay would not go beyond $30-$50 weekly... it is never a real job and seem like it will never be for like 90% of the revvers. You can try it but it will become too much exhausting for the pay.

For example: To caption a 30 minute video, it takes over 9 hours and the pay for that little project is $14 to $15 FOR 9 HOURS LITERALLY doing data entry following strict accuracy, formatting and alignment metrics, plus doing a lot of research to understand words that may not be of popular knowledge. Also normally these videos are HARD to understand, there is too much foreign accents or multiple speakers at once, etc. Plus, other revvers audit your work, and what seems to be ok to one, is it not for another one... so you are in a limbo there.

I liked the dynamics but the pay does not at all compensate everything else... even without all I mentioned, there is no way this is a healthy pay.

Again... 30 minute video, to caption it takes 9 hours and they pay you $.50 cents per video minute, meaning you'll get $15 for that whole work of 9 hours.
Pros
Different Experience - Learn random things while Captioning
Cons
Too Bad Pay - Bad Auditing System - No Real Grow Opportunity
It's a nice job.
When I actually received the notice that I'd gotten a job there, I immediately went into my first assignment. Plus, since I can choose when to work, I can caption when I have free time.
Pros
Assignments are personally chosen
beer money, nothing more
Rev does not pay a worthwhile salary, does not offer benefits, and is often very challenging work. It's something to keep yourself busy for a few bucks but you can't live off it.
Pros
work when you want
Cons
sore wrists
A complete joke of a company.
Don't waste your time with this place. They pay you in peanuts and terminate you on a whim for the tiniest little "mistake", without even telling you what you did wrong. You'd make more money sitting on a street corner begging for change than working for these clowns.
Cons
It will probably be fined for labor violations soon
Rev uses desperate people at slave labor wages. If you decide to start captioning for Rev just know that you will be making $2 an hour on a good day if you're efficient. When you start off there will be a list of videos to choose from. 90% of these will be incoherent or someone will have a heavy accent and it will be very difficult to caption. Even a five minute video can take over an hour to caption properly if you're efficient. At about .45 cents per minute you end up with 2.25 for over an hours worth of your life. Again this is best case scenario. REV exploits people who have to work at home or have to work and offers them a rate for their effort the know is not even a quarter of minimum wage. They try to claim that the faster you go the more you make but there's only so fast it is possible to go because of the nature of captioning. It takes about fifteen minutes if your fast to properly caption and align a minute of video. This includes watching it, typing what they are saying, formatting the caption correctly, then aligning the caption with the video. It's not fast even though it seems like it should be. It's very rare to find a video you could caption faster than that.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Cheap labor
easy side money for small expenses
this company allows you to watch videos, caption them and edit them to play smoothly. you get a small cash reward for each video you caption and edit correctly.
Pros
extra cash, work from home
Cons
not much cash
flexible schedule with terrible pay
good for a side job if you ever want to buy something small online you can do a few jobs and purchase it after getting paid but that's all it's good for the pay is so low for how much work is put into it
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
pay is garbage
It is what it is, a stepping stone
It's not the best place. The metric grading is odd to me. I'm always a 5 (highest) on accuracy and alignment, probably because I'm the type to pay close attention to what people say in my everyday life because I'm a cynic and have found the world full of liars and "I didn't say that", so I learned at an early age to quote people back to themselves verbatim along with, usually, a date and timestamp. And the OCD in me makes me have to keep alignment high. The formatting is the issue, especially since I've watched closed captioning a lot (I used it to get the kids I was around to read sooner, it actually works-- at least for me it did) and they're formatting seems strange. Also, and this is what did it for me, after captioning a rap video I got low marks partially because I wrote "cuz" which, apparently, according to them, means "cousin" and not "because". Um... according to Google, Urban Dictionary, various language learning sites where Americans help foreigners, internetslang.com and life as I've lived it, "cuz" very certainly means "because". The pay is horrible, especially compared to other sites. I'm just using it to build experience and have under my belt/on a resumee because the legit sites won't hire un-experienced people. I have a FT and another PT but I'm a believer in multiple streams of income.
Pros
create your own hours
Cons
pay, metric system
Terrible Pay
Pay is terrible for the amount of work you have to do.
Grading system they have in place is insane.

Too much work goes into it when you barely get paid anything.

Good thing is that it's freelance but it's not really worth the money.
Perhaps good for some, but not others.
I had never heard of this company before a friend of mine got accepted as a transcriber and was very excited to start. It sounded great, work from home, set your own hours, etc. When I went to the site for more information on the job, I felt it was definitely lacking; the job is made out to be an exciting career that you can advance in and have fun and get paid all while working from home. The parts they don't tell you is that you are paid via PayPal and you are a self-employed independent contractor (kind of like Avon, Tupperware, etc.) so they do not withhold any of your earnings for taxes - so be careful if you make more than about $400/year.

With the information I did find, this job seemed like it might be a good fit, so I applied for a position as a captioner. I passed the first test and then the last two before being hired on to caption videos. During the application process, the first video is only a few minutes long, but you have like four hours to complete it - simple. The second two tests you then have two days to complete and they are also short videos. I feel for sure that these assessment tests are very misleading as to the type of work that would be performed. The actual videos you end up having to transcribe, while similar in length, you don't have two days to complete, not even four hours... you have between 50 minutes to a few hours.

Once I was hired, I went to assign myself jobs, sorting through the grab bag of available videos needing to be captioned; this is where it got fun... Once someone claims a video, it is no longer available for you to claim,
 - more...
Pros
Work from home, set your own hours, learn about new things, potential to advance
Cons
Self-employed, payed through PayPal, often difficult audio, poor pay rate to actual time/effort put in to complete a job.
Great Opportunity
Work when you want, help people, and do it all remotely. What more can you ask for? My favorite part of the day is having my morning coffee transcribing videos with my cat.
They can cut you off at any time
After only one project completed, my account was deactivated. The way your projects are reviewed and graded is very unclear but it is done by an inexperienced person who may have been working at Rev for less than six months. For almost two and a half ours of work I received only $1.26. I am extremely disappointed and would not recommend wasting your time trying to apply.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Low pay, unreliable, unprofessional
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rev.com. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Rev.com.