Rev.com

Rev.com Culture reviews

Not what it seems
Sounds like a great idea-transcribing at home, work when you want, no commute or dress code. But it's competitive and the good work is snatched up quickly, leaving the poor quality audios for those who aren't available to work all the time.
Fun to make your own hours
The people here are very nice and I would work at here again. I liked the people and I think it was a good place to work. I would definitely recommend it.
Pays nothing.
If you want to get paid nothing and have very tight deadlines, take this job! There is no way to support yourself with a job like this. Please find something else.
Self-directed
As a transcriptionist, you choose the projects you work on. This process can be highly competitive, with the easy to hear and understand audio files being taken very quickly. Pay is usually $.50 per audio minute, with more difficult audio paying higher. You transcribe on your own computer with headphones, at whatever time is convenient to you. Once you have claimed a project, you have a certain amount of time in which to submit the complete transcription.
Great way to make some extra cash working from home.
Rev allows me to be able to balance my home life and my work life. It gives me the flexibility of working entirely from home. The pay is not outstanding but the job culture is really beneficial for my at a certain time in my life. I really learned a lot about the transcription process and the coaching is efficient and direct.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
You're gonna get fired.
I love that you can choose your projects and work when you want to. HOWEVER. The jobs are gone in SECONDS, and I mean seconds. It's very competitive between the other people that work there. Also, the pay is so bad for me to be spending HOURS trying to get everything perfect just for the reviewers to shred my work. I've been so confused on what they want because one reviewer says one thing..so I try to improve..then the next reviewer tells me that's not correct and I get struck down again. They bend the rules in the style guide. Some of the rules are up for interpretation which doesn't help someone trying to learn. When I get perfect scores, my metrics BARELY go up. And when I get less perfect, my scores PLUMMET. I will inevitably be let go because I just can't get it right. I see that I'm not the only one with this experience.
Work-Life Balance Flexibility
Working with Rev, I can pick and choose which types of files to transcribe and/or caption. Feedback is given pretty quickly, and pay is always on time. I love the flexibility of working with Rev, and would recommend it to others. The hardest part of the job is listening to different dialects.
Scam company
This company advertises that you will be paid average of $400+ a month, DO NOT BELIEVE IT. It is very competitive, and you are paid based off of what you work. However; being so competitive there are little to no jobs available to transcribe. Many people snipe any available jobs, so you can spend hours waiting for something to pop up with horrible audio quality. If you make any errors at all your metrics go down significantly. You are graded by other revvers, meaning that if another person hears something a different way than you did your scores will go down. I have not had my account deactivated, but I know someone who's account was without warning. You are paid roughly 40 cents per audio minute. The most I have made with maximum effort is $23, working for a month, constantly looking for available jobs. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME LIKE I DID.
Great Side Job
Grabbing good jobs can be tough because it's a competitive environment. It's a great side job, but isn't enough to be my main job. I know that some people do make this their main source of income.
Extra spending cash only.
On a typical day, you transcribe what you want, when you want, but when you accept a file and you are past the deadline to unclaim the file, you have to complete it by the file deadline, which depends on the length of the file. I learned how Rev likes their files transcribed and I increased my typing speed. Management does not contact you and you cannot contact management. You can only go to the forum for help from other Revers and they are helpful. There is no workplace culture, you get graded by other Revers who were offered the position and may even be brand new themselves. The hardest part of the job is finding work at times, finding quality files to work at other times, and the time it takes to earn very little. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you only work when you want and you do not have anyone hanging over your shoulder.

Good work is hard to find, you make very little for your time, it's very tedious work, and they will close your account on a whim for no reason if they choose. This is not a job, there are no benefits, and you cannot make a living with this. This is only for extra spending money and if you are desperate to make something while you are out of work like I was.

Don't expect it to last forever because they will not keep you long, but if you need some extra cash, it's perfect for a minute.

The posted job advertises that you can make $1495 a month, which couldn't be further from the truth. I worked 16 hours per day for 4 to 5 days a week only to make $135 max. I probably could have made $200 if I sat at my computer for 16 hours all seven
 - more...
Productive place to work
Rev.com provides a friendly environment for all transcribers. The most hardworking transcribers are given privileges such as improved payments or access to easier jobs.
Would not recommend for beginner transcriptionists
It's basically a free-for-all, snag whatever transcription you can get before someone else claims it.
They only do minimal training.

Haven't really interacted with any of management.
Super competitive.

Getting a decent transcription job with good audio is hard.
Pros
Cons
They don't pay according to skill level
Not a full time gig.
The pay at rev.com really depends on how fast you are with typing, but even then you barely make minimum wage. I type at typically 60-65 WPM (at least that's what their data chart says) and I still couldn't make more than $9.50 an hour most days. The quality of audio varies to good to absolutely abysmal, and the pay for your job varies on what audio file you transcribe typically from $0.40-$0.90 per job minute, and even more for verbatim.

It's quite competitive too. Starting out, you don't have a lot of files you can transcribe. You also can only move up in the company so much, as their metrics can be strict and you could get demoted on a bad transcription. (It also depends on who is grading as well)

The only saving grace of the job is that it's a freelance job, so you can work as much or as little as you want. Fair warning though, the most I've ever made in a week was $300 and that was working 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week.
Pros
Freelance job, work as much or as little as you like, alright side gig
Cons
Very low pay with no advancement opportunity, management is hard to get a hold of
Don't Understand the Other Reviews?
I don't understand the other reviews, to be honest. I have had no issues with Rev. I was quickly hired, quickly moved up to Revver+ (which is where the better paying projects are). I can pick the projects that I want to take, turn ones back in that I don't like or won't have time for. Many audio files are horrible, but you just don't accept them...it's pretty simple. Bad audio files are worth more money, so if you're super patient and willing to utilize the sound tools they offer, they might not be as bad. I don't like them and avoid them. We are paid every single Monday, via Paypal. I've worked for them for over a year now and it's been there by 9:15 every single Monday morning. I haven't encountered any management per se, but have had to contest a grade or two. I've had one grade fixed and the other explained to me why it was graded the way that it was. Their standards are high. If you can't meet them, then you probably don't need to be working for them. They are basic expectations as far as punctuation, grammar, spelling, etc. I love that I can work whenever I have free time. Because I'm picky about the files that I pick and because I type fast, I make an average of about $9/hr. I couldn't do this full time, but makes some nice side money.
Pros
Can work whenever I want, easy to pick files, regular pay
Cons
Bad quality files a lot, competitive to get the good audio files
Bad freelance training process
To start transcription with Rev, you have to start by transcribing 45 minutes, get it graded, and try to fit into their metrics - 1-5 accuracy, 1-5 formatting, etc. If you've never done transcribing before, it is a learning curve to figure out the style guide, and if you make mistakes on even their training videos, your metrics go down. They give you up to 105 minutes to get your accuracy to 4.5 stars. Seems fair, but they need to fix the way they do it.

The first few videos you do to learn their style are easy - as long as you are fluent in English and know proper grammar/spelling rules, you'll be fine. Then they want you to complete more challenging videos with difficult audio, or with subjects with accents to learn what to do if its unclear. I was graded harshly on these with comments like "you marked something as inaudible that was easy to hear," and instead of been given the chance to redo the training (because, you know, it's training), the bad numbers on two 3-minute long TRAINING videos badly affected my metrics, even though I was still learning their style guide and they were videos that weren't even going to customers.

Knowing that these types of videos with bad audio were hard, I chose to be more picky about which jobs I chose, and found some podcasts and videos with better mics, clear accents, etc, to practice while I got the hang of hearing well. They happened to be longer clips. The metrics counted is per project, not proportional per minute - so even though these three 30-minute long projects were graded perfectly with no errors, they closed my account because - more...
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Bad training, high expectations, competitive
Good workplace, but do your research
Rev.com is a work from home transcription/captioning/translation company, so you are either transcribing, captioning, or translating audio or video files. I enjoy working at Rev.com. The pay is minimal if you are on one of the three levels of earning. If you're a beginner, you might get $30 a month. But if you're an expert, you can earn up to $750 a month. However, to get advanced to these levels, you have to meet certain quotas.

Quality control reviews your work and sends you detailed information on what you can improve on, depending on your level, though, the information provided may be different.

You will have to know how to type quickly, otherwise, you may fall behind and Rev might close your account.

Overall, Rev.com is a good workplace. I would just say do your research before applying.
Pros
Great culture, quick work (depending on file)
Cons
Pay
It's a stressful work environment and the pay is terrible.
The job is just transcribing audio files or video files.

You have a limited time to complete them, and they have to be perfectly edited. Most of the jobs you can take are very difficult to understand, and you are graded harshly if you take your time.

They expect you to work around 5 hours a day in order to earn roughly 20 dollars. It's terrible work.

There's no work culture or management to speak of. You are graded by your peers.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Pay rate, hours, and difficulty.
Insecure work place.
I would get online to find work and sometimes it would take a couple of hours to find audio clear enough to transcribe, with a deadline I could meet, and that had a decent, for rev.com, amount of pay. In general, all the short audio clips were claimed right away, so I would end up with long videos, 45 min to 60 minutes.

I was moved up really quickly from training to revver.
I kept the style guide open when I transcribed, but began to noticed that my scores were all over the place. I also noticed on one of my first transcriptions that I was marked wrong for how to spell a city or region in New Zealand. The grader was wrong, but I had no way to respond or appeal.

In any case, I made sure to read all feedback notes and not make the same mistakes. The last job I submitted was a 5 out of 5, but it was graded and feedback sent to me after rev.com deactivated my account for a decimal point below their formatting requirement of 4.5. I don't think the last transcription I did was counted my final average.There is no appealing this deactivation.

I had an open account with rev.com for 2 weeks before I was deactivated. The average grade was based on 8 transcriptions out of a total of 11 transcriptions completed.

If you need some money and are willing to work for rev.com, just know that it is not secure and they can deactivate you without notice because you are considered a contractor not an employee.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Low pay, low audio quality, competitive on shorter audio clips, inconsistent grading.
Not enough training, no room for mistakes, competitive and unhelpful environment.
I've only been working with Rev for about a week. At first, it seems like a really good job, but truly it is a lot of work with next to nothing pay. Not only that, the atmosphere is extremely stressful. The transcribing itself can actually be fun and interesting. However, the environment is not worth it.
It's mostly set against new people. They give you a style guide and a few training videos, but the grades from your training videos weigh in to your total score, with no way to change it. I am one who really tries to follow directions. I tried really hard on two separate occasions to follow the style guide, but I was docked points and told to do something other than what was on their guide. That makes it very nerve-wracking to submit anything, because even if you've followed the instructions, you could still get a lower grade for something not on the style guide. Each job is graded on a scale from 1 to 5. You must maintain a 4.5 or higher to keep working there. That means that even just two 4 scores will get you on the verge of being kicked out.

Basically, you have to somehow find a way to be perceived as perfect by their ambiguous grading team, or you get locked out.
In my opinion, during the first few jobs, they should give you a sample grade, so that you can learn the ropes. Then, once you have it down, the grades will start counting. However, they don't care about maintaining the people they have.

They harbor an extremely competitive and unhelpful environment. They say that it only takes a few minutes to complete a project, however, the jobs are claimed as soon as
 - more...
Pros
Work when you want, interesting material
Cons
Not enough training, low pay, dishonest advertising, unhelpful management, stressful and competitive work environment
learned the world
skilfull healthcare brightness poorness goodness short breaks free lunches brave benefits confidential enjoyable typical day learned workplace culture.
A Place to Test the Waters, but Not a Place to Make Money
Like many of the other reviewers, I find the work/culture at Rev extremely exploitive. It's a good place to test whether transcription is a good use of your skills (and to learn the basics), but it's not a company you can count on to be consistent (in evaluating work done) or to provide any useful feedback for how to improve skills.

The quality of jobs is very low, the pay is less than minimum wage, and the competition for jobs results in a high level of churned jobs.

If you must, I'd recommend doing this job for a month or two to learn the basics and then move on.
Pros
Learn the basics of transcription
Cons
Lower than minimum wage pay, inconsistent metric evaluation
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rev.com. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Rev.com.