Rev.com

Rev.com Employee Review

Good extra money but incredibly harsh grading practices make it not worth the convenience of working from home
Freelance Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  New York StateDecember 4, 2019
I have been doing freelance transcription on Rev for over two years now. I don’t have many complaints about the pay, it’s fairly low but they’re pretty transparent about that from the outset and the convenience of being able to do it from home and pick all of your own hours and when/if to work is worth the pay in my opinion.

What is not worth it is the fact that they can and will close your account due to ridiculously strict metrics. For example, I upgraded to the next tier of their Revver levels and took on a job that was a bit longer, thinking I lucked out with decently clear audio. Toward the end, after three hours of doing this particular job and far past the point of unclaiming, there was a bit of about 15 minutes of conversation with 8 people all speaking at once and having several side conversations. I did my best to capture all of this but at some points it was very hard (and not on the main topic of the audio I had been transcribing before anyway) so I used the appropriate cross-talk tags.

Big mistake, apparently. A member of support chastised me for this, I didn’t get paid for my four hours of work on this audio, and my metrics dropped below the threshold after all of my previous projects on the site being perfect grades except for my very first job on the site being a mid-grade. If I make one more mistake, they close my account. You cannot appeal these decisions at all. That was my last job on the site as I just lost all respect and desire to do jobs for this company. I don’t understand how they can keep any of their freelance transcriptionists with these
  more... strict metrics. 85% of the jobs that aren’t claimed immediately are completely unable to be transcribed so it’s hard to find jobs and then they punish you with an iron fist for taking the chance to try and transcribe harder jobs or unclaiming after a set period of time.  less

Other Rev.com Employee Reviews

Fully remote, good pay
Freelance Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 17, 2020
Overall a good job. It's great as a part time gig, but you could work close to full time if needed. The main thing is that transcribing is fairly tedious work, but you do come across a wide variety of subjects from which to choose. You've got time limits to finish a job once you accept it, but those time frames are reasonable. You usually finish way early.
Good flexibility but not great pay
Remote Captioner (Current Employee) –  Work from HomeJanuary 17, 2020
Captioning is great if you have a busy schedule. It's fairly easy and there's usually lots of jobs to choose from. The pay is pretty low for the amount of time you spend on a project but it's a decent side income. Payment is reliable every Monday.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rev.com. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Rev.com.

Powered by Comparably