Revature
Happiness rating is 62 out of 100

Revature Employee Reviews

United States172 reviews

developertechnologycontracttrainingsoftwaretechindustryinterview

Pretty good place to kickstart your career

If you can force yourself to achieve what you want. You probably will get it. Revature help me to improve my communication and soft skills a lot. Also prepared a good foundation for me to get thing easier in the interview process.

Good Start for a Good Career

This is an account of an individual who went through the training for Software Developer. Even though the coursework was difficult at times and the time to learn everything was short, It was still a fulfilling experience. I experienced a lot of technologies and dove into many things that I had never even heard about before. The best experience was the people who went through the training with and the instructor who took his time to impart his knowledge to us. I would do this all over again if I got the chance, but be a little bit more prepared for it.

Revature insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Successful in job placement.

The Revature contract may seem scary at first glance, but it's not. Revature wants trainees to succeed and be placed in a job immediately. The training is rigorous and very fast paced, but effective in giving us the knowledge needed to land the job. I was selected for a job before my training was even complete! Even if I wasn't selected after the first interview, Revature seems dedicated to preparing us for more interviews and opportunities even after training ends.

High cost, low benefit.

The training felt like they were mainly interested in measuring people as participants in research, and this continued at the clients. I feel like I was a test subject, rather than trained as an employee, and given actual work as a valued employee after training. In retrospect, this was the worst part of the job. The most stressful part of the experience was their housing policy combined with the very low compensation. They wanted me to be ready to move at any time , and I was told don't hold a lease at all. They made it seem like this would only be for the beginning of the two year period but it lasted for 1+ year. Housing costs == more expensive. there was no living allowance for me. Most wages went to housing. I feel like most places pay people for this type of availability. They pack months of waiting time after training and in between clients where you are paid minimum wage.

Career changers beware

So I went into this knowing fully well that I have zero coding background. That's "not a problem" said Revature recruiters, they have many a success story of those who were in my position, and so I trusted their account and went all in. The training is very fast paced and while it definitely exposes you to many real world projects, the time for all this to be digested is extremely short. If you have a coding background this company will definitely assist you but anyone else I recommend you go and look into a more formal course or degree. My fellow batch mates that actually got hired for client projects all came from a CS or related background and the clients were clearly biased towards that. Don't get me wrong, the company is good if you have the knowledge and even better if you come in with some experience but if you're like me, you are potentially wasting your time that could be spent earning a degree instead.

Great

You should be ready to work hard. Otherwise, you will be kicked out. You have quizzes, qc interview, trainer interviews every single week. So, if you are not prepared, you will not survive.

Good company but could use some improvements

I was part of a 12 week paid training program (Next Gen Java AWS Angular Extended)The training was good overall but it felt a bit rushed. There was never enough time to FULLY grasp the material before we were off to the next topic. They say that there is no experience necessary however even those with a good deal of experience struggled. Be prepared to set aside HOURS of additional study time. Don't expect much in the way of 1-on-1 attention you are almost on your own. Be prepared to lean heavily on your cohort. Also our program was downsized halfway through due to economic shifts so please don't put all of your eggs in this basket if you can help it. Your program is not guaranteed to move forward to completion.

Stressful

Every week there’s quizzes and someone will test your knowledge. If you fail you get kicked out. It is very fast paced so you’re expected to study outside of work, leaving no time for leisure.

Fun and Enjoyable workplace, got a chance to learn more

I love working there because I get the chance to grow and to learn so much more stuff, things that I never imagine that I would know. I get the chance to learn to work in a group project, which I love.

Pros

Paid lunch

Cons

No overtime

Great opportunity to get paid to learn high level tech

Great opportunity to paid to learn high level technologies which will lead into a good paying job/career. I wish I would have stuck it out to the end.

You get what you sign up for.

You don’t get to pick the tech stack, you don’t get much PTO, you don’t get paid out PTO after you’re done (so use it), to do well, you’re expected many hours outside of work, and the benefits are average at best. You pay more for less insurance. On top of all of this, I was forced to move to halfway across the country for a measly $500 where if your company (WiPro) releases all contractors due to funding issues, you and everyone who had to move are stuck with a lease and no job. Not worth the trouble. Spend some time building your skills and you’ll be far better off, making twice what you could make at Revature.

Pros

Get your foot in the door.

Cons

Healthcare, very little PTO, minimum holidays, overworked and underpaid.

They do what they say they will do

Working at Revature was nice, the teacher were good and are there to help, but god help you if you have any issue with communication. After you finish training Revature will try to pair up with prospective companies through regularly scheduled interviews, only problem is, if your overly honest like I was, or if you have a hard time selling yourself, then you can expect to wait in hiring limbo, until they eventually release you of your contract.

A good start to get your foot in the door, but make sure you plan ahead

Revature is a good place to get your foot through the door of the tech industry world if you don't have any prior work experience in any tech stack. Depending on where they place you, you could either have a 12-week training program or a 10-week where you have to learn many different technologies at once and be able to pass weekly quality checks (stand-up quizzes) for those technologies. It's a lot to digest at first but if you have enough determination to push through, you will 🙂. Speaking about determination, once you signed the contract you won't be able to leave nor accept any job offers from different companies till you finish the 2-year contract with the client you got selected by. You could also speak to your supervisor to see if something can be worked out but I wouldn't put too much faith into it. They do give you a 1-2 week test run of the training course to see if you decide this is what you want to do but after that, you're in it to win it.For those who are interested in Revature, make sure you have saved up enough funds to sustain yourself and your family for about 4-6 months before deciding to move forward with Revature. They do provide paid training and relocation assistance if needed but for some, that's not enough. After you graduate from training, you move on to the staging phase where you participate in daily stand-up meets and wait for your chance to be interviewed by Revature's clients. Waiting for an interview could take a few days, weeks, or months and sometimes you'll get blank ones as well, so it's undetermined when you'll ever be selected by a -

Pros

Paid Training, One on Ones with Supervisor, Remote, Enterprise-level Experience

Cons

Unappealing Contract, Too much to learn in a short amount of time

Irrelevant jobs

The training is good but then they place you with clients that don't use that training at all. .

Great opportunity if you are ready for the commitment

I knew very little about computer programming before I worked at Revature, but the team is committed to your success in learning coding skills and in finding gainful employment. When I was struggling with my training, the HR team went the extra mile to make sure I connected with a trainer who could help me. Working as a contractor with Revature requires a two-year commitment, which can be daunting but if you're in a position where you can make that commitment, it's definitely worth it.Furthermore, I joined Revature February 2020, right before Covid hit. It was rough time for any company, but Revature did it's very best to work with its employees, giving us advances and giving us pay in advance when work was scarce. They really do want to see their employees succeed.

Pros

Competent training, great pay, great job opportunities for beginning programmers

Cons

Two year commitment, a very big learning curve at the beginning

The good and the bad

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new skills. I do not recommend this company for most people.For me, there was major bait and switch about the work at multiple points throughout my contact with Revature. Think pay, project length, scheduling, expectation to move anywhere at any time vs needing to move once, types of clients, etc.A typical day at work while training depends on what you are assigned to, but you will be working with software in some way. The same for a typical day on a project. Management here was different from any place I've ever worked. It seemed like there was a new manager or HR person every few months, or even more often. There was no one who I could point to and say oh that was my direct supervisor throughout my time. I would describe overall workplace culture as bait and switch. I think this was the hardest part of the job.A general example, probably relevant for a lot of people, Revature made it seem like there was a two-year project you'd be matched with if you 'graduated' their training. Like you were being trained for a specific project. This was not the reality at all post training. After my training ended, lots of people went to different sub-contractors, who were further sub-contracted out, and there was no defined two-year project. Revature also tried to pressure me into agreeing to work at any time in the 24 hours of a day, on any day of the six days a week, and to move anywhere at any time, very different from M-F 9-5 and moving for a two-year project. I say that I was pressured because the ask came right after -

Training is severely rushed and poorly structured.

Be ready to spend countless unpaid hours on projects outside of work, while cramming for bird brain QCs, all for minimum wage. This company is making 100k off of you, when you're basically self-studying all of the material.

Pros

Hour of lunch

Cons

Overtime is unpaid so you're making less than minimum wage during training, and the training itself skips over a lot of fundamentals before jumping right into complex topics.

Good training, 0/10 on everything else

Extremely disorganized would be an understatement as far as describing management. Also, you're pretty much disposable to them. $7.25 an hour is pretty fun to make too, even for a training wage.

Good place to start you tech career

I enjoyed my time there so far. The trainers are very helpful and understanding and if you want to get your foot in the door in the tech field Revature is a good place to start. The training is intense but if you put in effort you will make it through.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

None so far

Not a good place

the company doesn't care if you get hire or not. they will let you go in a heart beat. They don't give you opportunities to up-skill so if there is no enough companies they will let you go.

Pros

Training was good.

Cons

they don't care about you.

MGMT disorganized

The job requires relocation which everyone should know. If you dont get on with your mapped client it is a bumpy ride. Staging has activities but sometimes the staging managers are rude and waste your time.

Common questions about Revature

Answered by current and former employees at Revature

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Revature. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Revature.
Powered byComparably

Compare Revature with

• Revature
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?