Reynolds American Inc Employee Reviews

Not the Reynolds of Old!
Production/Making Operator (Former Employee) –  Tobaccoville, NCAugust 3, 2019
Forced to work OVERTIME or you have HOURS deducted from your vacation. You are NOT paid for those hours. You work beside of people that perform the same job as you, but make 15 to 20 dollars more per hour. Management is virtually useless, and only cares about production. Every employee last year except production workers received a raise. This is the culture!
Competitive Finance Department
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 13, 2019
I worked at RAI for nine years in various Finance roles. I very much enjoyed my time there, the company was very good to both myself and my family. Pay, 410k, benefits, work/life balance are all fantastic. However, after the acquisition by British American Tobacco, upward mobility is nearly non-existent as open management/leadership roles are regularly filled by BAT (non-US) employees. I left RAI to pursue the next level of advancement in my career, but have no regrets about my time spent at RAI.
Flexibility
TERRITORY MANAGER III (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 11, 2019
Typical sales role, the landscape of the business keeps you on your toes. So you have to be flexible to keep up with a changing industry. Great benefits
It's all about the people!
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2019
the best parts of my current employment are the people on my team, the independence and the tremendous benefits! each day brings a new adventure, challenge and opportunity to enhance my social selling skills and grow my business as if it were my own.
Pros
independence, flexiblilty
Cons
when the weather is bad, you're still out there
Good company
Master Scientist (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJune 19, 2019
Good company with good benefits and decent salary, many opportunities to learn, many well organized and useful educational programs, working from home, etc. However, not very diverse, deeply rooted in local community with many locals working there (successors of previous generations who worked there). Promotions generally follow this trend.
Pros
work from home options, decent pay, benefits
Cons
limited promotion potential if you join from the outside
Told to be a CEO, yet treated like a tool
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  EverywhereMay 24, 2019
Reynolds recent product launches have all been failures, but it is the Territory Manager's job to sell these turds and be scolded when adult tobacco consumers do not buy them. It is a negative culture that constantly puts salespeople against each other, and if I were an investor I would pick a company with at least a little recent success.

Recent turds: Vuse Alto, Vuse Ciro, Pall Mall Silver, and Newport Platinum I guess I should have put up more signs, must be my fault this garbage doesn't sell.

My guess is that all of the data we are entering into the system about each account will eventually make the Territory Manager obsolete in the future.
Pros
company car
Cons
cancer
High performing, fast-paced sales company that employs a wide array of skill sets
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 14, 2019
Reynolds American is a great company with great people. We have great products and are given the autonomy to run our territories as we see fit and make informed decisions on a daily basis.
Pros
Benefits, freedom, people
Great company to work for!
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  AnonymousMay 2, 2019
Reynolds American is a great company to work for! Great benefits, great company culture, and upward mobility within the company. The only thing I will recommend to the potential new hires is to be open to change, willing to learn, flexible, and coachable. This company does not want to see anyone fail and will provide you with the tools necessary to advance within the company.
Pros
Working is never boring or repetitive, Independent work, Coaching environment where weaknesses can be turned into strengths
Cons
Depending on who your manager is could change your experience with the company
Top notch company
Vice President, Investor Relations (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 5, 2019
A high performing company in virtually all ways. Top management team, strong performing business units and a vision to Transform their industry for the better...
Not a fun place for a production operator. Pays good, but too much favoritism.
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaApril 3, 2019
If you're willing to stay in the same position for the next 30 years, it's the place for you. Good decent paying job, but too much favoritism is displayed.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Unfair treatment of some employees
Great Company
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 7, 2019
RAI is a great company to work for but for career advancement you can't dictate your location. I spent 4 years in a rural area coming from a big city and had no work/life balance. After being promoted I had to relocate across the country and only saw my family twice per year. The company is good but it all depends on who you work for and who works with you.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Upper Management
Busy Job, underpaid
Territory Manager III (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 7, 2019
Not a bad job overall. You spend all of your day in and out of gas stations. There have been some major changes since BAT took over, some other reviews have it in more detail and it’s accurate—3rd party merchandising was cut, there has been a major focus on financial stewardship. 4Q19 earnings call for RAI was very good, our company score—which bonuses are based off of, not so good. Division meetings are not as fun. The biggest problem with this company is they announce things very ambiguously, like salary increases for example—really talk it up, and then when it comes out in writing it’s not great at all can get dishearting, and disappointing. Everything is priority #1, everything!!! New products launching all the time, with no space/no where to go. It’s your job to fight that battle with disengaged gas station store managers who don’t even want to bring the product in. You’ll have 2 maybe 3 weeks to get all your stores ready for said product, if you’re lucky. Company has been very slow to ship materials you need to merchandise properly so by the time you get what you need to get going, you’ll have two weeks to get it done. Can be easy, but most of the year you’re running around getting something ready and the second you’re finished there’s something else that’s incredibly important to complete that needs to be started or you’ll get behind. Manage this while accomplishing all the other company objectives like consumer engagements. CE’s as they’re called is interrupting a consumer who runs into Wawa for their smokes, tell them all about some cigs they’ve heard of but don’t  more... like—and e-cigs that they don’t want either, offer them a coupon to buy. Company wants 1000 of these per year. It all would be an acceptable job if they stopped saying their making pay adjustments and then when it actually comes out there are so many qualifiers in order to receive it, I don’t think anyone actually got a raise!  less
Pros
Vacation time, car, flexible scheduling
Cons
Hyperbolic promises from upper level management, can’t trust what they’re telling you
Good company to start your career. Not compensated well
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 5, 2019
It is a good company to join after college. Their benefits are comparable to other CPG companies. Best benefit is the company car. Salary is not where it needs to be
I loved this compnay
TERRITORY SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 10, 2019
I hated my division. They treated me as if i wefe dumb amd the job was not fun everything was a competion. I dreaded this style of training and coaching
Rai
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 21, 2018
Company does not stand by the long term employees. There is a lack of consistency from one manager to another. The direction is often not clear and we are not sure if our immediate manager is providing the proper direct from upper or executive management.
Pros
Pay, company car
Cons
Managment
TERRITORY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 12, 2018
Great environment to work. Reputable company. Company is always looking for ways to better solution tailored to specific goals. Future focussed and adapting to changes in the ever changing tobacco industry.
Great Benefits and Flexibility
Territory Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  GAAugust 29, 2018
Lot's of flexibility in schedule. Reasonable pay and bonuses. Must be fairly mobile and relocate for promotion. Workload can get heavy at times. Vacation and bonus good.
Overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 28, 2018
1. Worst Technology I have seen. We were given new Pads to record our visits, did not work properly for 3 months. After two years we are getting laptops. They sometimes just stop working, delete everything on them, lose ability to connect to internet. IT is in India

2. Work load has increased with Newport, Natural American Spirits, Vuse, Ciro, Solo, Alto and yet the job boards say I'm underpaid for my position in the city I live in. The company just increase our cost of our company car from $150 to $175 in July 2018.

3. When we were acquired by BAT, they started cutting items: first was 3rd party work orders for resets. They just recently consolidated storage facilities. The division meetings with an event for team building do not happen anymore.

4. Secrecy is the norm at this company. Bonuses are never tracked openly, information is never shared, until the company decides what the number is in February. The review panel systems are a secret process one is for promotions, and the other is for raises and ratings. You will never hear the full extent of what is said about you or who said what.

5. Management by catching you in your mistakes. No credit is given for effort. People fight for credit on team projects and only one person gets credit. No Team concept of work or projects. Managers play favorites and upper management looks down on TMs. Management documents even the smallest errors or mistakes, so that you can't complain about your rating. Your work with reports will look so bad you'll be thrilled getting an achieves rating.
  more...

6 Have to move if you are promoted! After 5 years, I have seen only about 10% of all TM's promoted.
Pros
401 K, vacation
Cons
Management style, lack of respect
decent company
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDJuly 29, 2018
decent company to work for with great benefits...work autonomy...objectives were achievable...nice working culture...needed new opportunity for advancement
Trade Marketing & Sales
Territory Manager - Trade Marketing & Sales (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYJuly 25, 2018
As a manager within the Trade Marketing & Sales Division i would meet with business owners that were selling our products and assist them with product selection and ordering.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Reynolds American Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight