RFA Engineering Employee Reviews

Great people and Leadership
Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MN 55344July 5, 2018
I loved RFA. My only reason for leaving was to get closer to home. I did get jumped around from project to project but I could tell that they wanted me to get me into a position that I really enjoyed once a opportunity arose. I do regret leaving a bit since leaving I have seen how good it was there.
Pros
good co-workers, flexible hours, fun projects, good Leadership
Cons
Pay can be on the low end if you choose to work minimum hours
A Great Company
3D Graphic Artist (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SDMay 16, 2017
RFA is an engineering firm with high quality standards. They do not place you in a position and forget you. They actively work to reach the highest level of job satisfaction with their employees. Health, mental, vision, 401K, PTO: these are just some of the benefits.
Not bad for a contractor company
Engineering (Former Employee) –  IndianaApril 3, 2017
Pay and benefits are fine for a contracting type of job. You'd be better off somewhere else as a direct hire unless you are planning to become a direct hire at the company you're contracted at. There's no type of severance package if you get laid off from the contracted company. If you're lucky, you'll get a week or two of notice. From my experience, you only get about 70% of what RFA bills their clients (i.e. RFA bills company $70,000 a year for the work you do. You would get about $50,000). That $20,000 goes towards PTO, holiday pay, your mediocre health plan, etc.. Bottom line, don't work as contract employee unless it is your only option.
Cons
Two companies s are making money off of you instead of one, 401k plan isn't good and health benefits are mediocre
Good place to work for
designer drafter (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNFebruary 16, 2017
I am on a contract through RFA and so far they have treated me pretty good. pay is good, hours are good. overall experience is great i would definitely recommend.
Fun place to work
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNFebruary 7, 2017
Great for entry level designers and engineers. Very flexible working environment. I could not believe the increase in pay I received when I left RFA though
Design Technician (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SDJanuary 25, 2017
This is a really good place to work. The culture is great and the management team is the fantastic. They listen to your concerns and actually take action if there is something bothering you. They do well at protecting you and keeping you working for them.
Graphic Technician lead (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SDJanuary 25, 2017
Good place to gain experience.
Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNAugust 30, 2016
RFA is a great company to work for. Extremely flexible hours and very nice work environment. They are a contract engineering firm for larger companies though so advancement is unlikely, and job security is not that strong.
review
Senior Designer/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNAugust 8, 2016
On the job and with no training. Expected to know right away which became frustrating at times. Little communication with customers or with people with knowledgeable experience which lead the group...
Drafting Technician (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJuly 23, 2016
I've never had a better job. If you're into mechanical engineering or mechanics at all, I suggest working for RFA Engineering.
good
Detailer/Draftsman ­ Subcontracted to CATERPILLER (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJune 16, 2016
RFA is a good company. They have genuine concern for their employees and want to see them succeed. I would return were another opportunity arise.
Very Professional Company with good work/life balance
Engineering Supervisor/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IAApril 11, 2016
Very Professional Company with good work/life balance
Would highly recommend this company. Great Management and good company structure. Rapid growth over the past few years
Great place for gaining experience
Design Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNNovember 24, 2014
RFA is a great first step in starting a career in engineering. They hire a lot of employees straight out of college with little to no experience, and help them develop a strong background in 3D design, drafting, and basic analysis.

They are a contracting firm, so compensation is less than what it would be working directly for the company that contracts them, but this also provides a buffer zone providing job security if a client downsizes.
Pros
4 day in-house work week, develops experience
Cons
Limited resources when dealing with confidential client information
Great workplace
Drafting Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNNovember 10, 2014
The most enjoyable part as well as the hardest part of the job was how challenging it was, that is what made it fun and made me want to go into work every morning.
Cubicle culture, not good for your spine or eyes
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNOctober 17, 2014
Interesting work, however, no opportunity to move physically (at all). If you like looking at a computer screen for 9.5 hours a day, this is a great place for you. Fridays are optional, which is great. And you can earn vacation by working overtime, also awesome.
Pros
Never felt like your deadlines were impossible, Fridays optional, can earn vacation by working overtime, 38 hour work week
Cons
Horrible for your spine and eyes, as you'll rarely do anything other than look at a computer display
A good small company
Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNMay 18, 2014
A great small company environment. I liked the people I worked for and would have stayed except that I found that the medical industry paid better.
Rewarding & Inspiring to Work
Structural Evaluation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IAMarch 4, 2014
I have enjoyed a progressively engineering career with RFA Engineering working at John Deere Dubuque works.
Contract engineering firm with high quality work ethic
Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJanuary 19, 2014
Salaried position with an average of 40 hr work weeks. I learned a lot of 3D Pro-E skills and 2D drawing skills. The management team is very relatable and excellent to work with. The hardest part of the job is not having any decision making power due to the nature of contracted engineering. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to discuss your project directly with the engineering manager to make the best concepts for the customer.
RFA is a first class contract house and there success reflects this.
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNApril 24, 2013
I worked for RFA for 20 years. I was always treated well and had many great opportunities while I was there.
Pros
great variety of work
Cons
typically do not get to follow designs through to production

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RFA Engineering. Our community is ready to answer.