RFA Engineering logo
RFA Engineering

RFA Engineering Employee Reviews

4.3
Work-Life Balance

Great first job, Plenty of advancement opportunities

I worked for RFA for about 6 years. In that time I was able to work on several different projects for a few different companies -- that's one of the cool things -- that there's plenty of variety and if RFA is able, you can request to work on a different part of the machine or even an entirely different machine. We worked (4) 10 hour days (with a half hour unpaid lunch break in the middle), with Friday as optional day to catch up on hours or earn bonus hours. Many people use this as a chance to save a vacation day if needed, or those that need time off during the week can make it up on Friday -- just a nice bonus to have

Productive workplace with healthy working relationships at all levels

I enjoyed my time at RFA Engineering as a test engineer on-site at John Deere Dubuque Works. Every day brought forth new challenges to build and develop my skills while fostering a healthy and supportive work environment.

Less benefits than the contract company you work for

You do a lot of the same work as the employees of the company you work for, but without the same benefits. Great stepping stone job to start your career.

Great variation in work, especially in regards to products, customers, and softwares utilized.

Lots of opportunity for advancement as the company still acts in entreprenurial ways. Management is always looking for new opportunities to expand and grow.

Pros

4 day work week is great for metro traffic. twin cities location is a nice area.

Cons

products are not built on premises, but are built at customer's facilities.

Hands-on Employee, with lofty goals

RFA offers a great work-life. They serve numerous clients, both in the home office, as well as on-site. Serving on-site at a client can be difficult; But, RFA support their employees as much as they can.

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Good environment

Well it’s what you would expect working with engineers.. everyone is pretending to do something and if you actually do work you will finish everything and have nothing to do for the next quarter

Pros

Pro e

Cons

Their pdm system

Good place to gain varied engineering experience

Flexible work scheduling available; personable, approachable management. Opportunities to gain experience in a wide variety of engineering fields. Ability to work for multiple clients

Pros

Flexible scheduling options

Cons

Minimal interaction with cooworkers

Do you like being censored and locked in a closet? Then this is the place for you!

Ultimately found this place to be difficult to work in. Their supervisors got thrust into their positions with limited supervisor training based on seniority. Any interest you have in expanding knowledge or generally trying to engage with work will be met with lots of discouragement. Expect to hear lots of complaining about your fellow coworkers and internal in-fighting and corporate politics to be thick in the air. Very difficult to be innovative or get any real progress done towards making anything better. Generally best to keep your head down, do what you are told, and avoid engaging in those lofty ideals that you got from engineering school. Also they usually keep you in the hole for hours for the first few weeks, so expect to work 9 hour days for the first six months.

Pros

Long hours usually available, time shifting works well, long holidays

Cons

Poorly trained supervisors and managers, Poor work culture, Expect any dissenting opinion you have to be squashed, Not a place for innovation, Career advancement or changes are poor, Scams it's workers on hours

Productive and enjoyable colleges

This is a contracting house with both onsite and in house operations. They had 4day - 10hr work weeks with optional overtime on Fridays. My colleges were pleasant and knowledgeable. Management did a great job keeping the work flowing in. They hosted an annual golfing event and employee appreciation gatherings.

Pros

4day work weeks with optional over time on Fridays

Cons

10hr work days could get long sometimes

RFA is a great place to work

RFA provides good pay and benefits and has a lot of room to move up and take on more responsibility. The work schedule can vary depending on your position. Accrued time is a great benefit allowing you take off extra time or get reimbursed for the time.

Jobs at RFA Engineering

See more jobs

Great people and Leadership

I loved RFA. My only reason for leaving was to get closer to home. I did get jumped around from project to project but I could tell that they wanted me to get me into a position that I really enjoyed once a opportunity arose. I do regret leaving a bit since leaving I have seen how good it was there.

Pros

good co-workers, flexible hours, fun projects, good Leadership

Cons

Pay can be on the low end if you choose to work minimum hours

Demanding, short schedule projects, demanding clients

The company's work schedule is Monday through Thursday (10 hour days) for hourly employees has mandatory core hours of 8am-4pm, Projects are often difficult with short deadlines and over time being request often. Clients can be difficult, almost requesting miracles at times.

Pros

Good people

Cons

Odd hours, difficult clients

A Great Company

RFA is an engineering firm with high quality standards. They do not place you in a position and forget you. They actively work to reach the highest level of job satisfaction with their employees. Health, mental, vision, 401K, PTO: these are just some of the benefits.

Not bad for a contractor company

Pay and benefits are fine for a contracting type of job. You'd be better off somewhere else as a direct hire unless you are planning to become a direct hire at the company you're contracted at. There's no type of severance package if you get laid off from the contracted company. If you're lucky, you'll get a week or two of notice. From my experience, you only get about 70% of what RFA bills their clients (i.e. RFA bills company $70,000 a year for the work you do. You would get about $50,000). That $20,000 goes towards PTO, holiday pay, your mediocre health plan, etc.. Bottom line, don't work as contract employee unless it is your only option.

Cons

Two companies s are making money off of you instead of one, 401k plan isn't good and health benefits are mediocre

Good place to work for

I am on a contract through RFA and so far they have treated me pretty good. pay is good, hours are good. overall experience is great i would definitely recommend.

Fun place to work

Great for entry level designers and engineers. Very flexible working environment. I could not believe the increase in pay I received when I left RFA though

This is a really good place to work. The culture is great and the management team is the fantastic. They listen to your concerns and actually take action if there is something bothering you. They do well at protecting you and keeping you working for them.

Good place to gain experience.

RFA is a great company to work for. Extremely flexible hours and very nice work environment. They are a contract engineering firm for larger companies though so advancement is unlikely, and job security is not that strong.

review

On the job and with no training. Expected to know right away which became frustrating at times. Little communication with customers or with people with knowledgeable experience which lead the group...

I've never had a better job. If you're into mechanical engineering or mechanics at all, I suggest working for RFA Engineering.
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?